you are my person.

black cat & her golden retriever

//

 

v.

 

Three minutes, five... fifteen, thirty-five freaking minutes had passed. The sky outside rumbles, dull, wetting the earth with its relentless tears. Sakura sits on the couch with a frown etched on her face, eyes laser-focused on her phone as no reply came. She knows for a fact that Huh Yunjin was anything but a slow texter—that girl replies to her almost immediately that it surprises her sometimes, the blonde does spend an awful lot of time on her phone that Sakura finds it hard to understand at times.

 

So it weighs sort of heavily on her that Yunjin still hasn't replied a single thing after nearly an hour. She worries— only because it's raining cats and dogs outside— but it's not like she's picking up her phone every now and then to check their chat for anything... or double checking if she had put it on silent on accident that she missed the notification alarm. Sakura exhales in annoyance, ultimately tossing her phone aside and decides to yield to the fact that Yunjin is indeed, later than usual today. Probably her club prolonging a meeting maybe... then the sky flashes, and Sakura instantly shuts her eyes, unable to hold back from flinching the moment a booming noise invades her ears unpleasantly.

 

She brings a thumb to her lips, the itch to nibble on her skin is there but Yunjin's reprimanding voice echoes in her head. She knows better, so she tucks her hands away in her sweater pockets, picking on the material instead. Her eyes land on the TV screen again, yet her mind strays elsewhere.

 

And just as she was about to worry to death, she hears the faint beeping of the code to their entrance door. She's never stood up so fast, never been happier to hear the silence of their apartment being replaced with chaotic ramblings of a familiar blonde. Sakura breathes easily for the first time today.

 

Her relief soon turns into disbelief however, gaping at her roommate who's struggling to free her bag strap which somehow got stuck on the door handle outside. Yunjin grumbles a string of curses under her breath, before sighing loudly. She stands there at their entrance, face contorting into disgust as she shifts uncomfortably in her... very wet sneakers, sloshing in every step. Then she looks up to meet Sakura's widening, twitching eyes, staring at her soaked entirety, neverending droplets drenching their entrance.

 

Sakura thinks she might as well have taken a shower outside.

 

"Oh my gosh, Kkura unnie!! You won't believe this!" Yunjin's face lights up nonetheless, seeming to forget that she was drenched from head to toe to proceed with her rambling as she runs a hand through her wet locks. 

 

"I just saved our campus cat from getting run over by a freaking Tesla! That malfunctioned or something 'cause it totally did NOT swerve in time but I was faster so I went woosh! to grab the cat in time! Almost lost my head though, not gonna lie," Yunjin takes barely a second to breathe, hands gesturing wildly as her eyes expressed themselves widely.

 

Did Sakura hear that right? Yunjin almost what-

 

"So I carried the cat and brought it back to its box right, but THEN I found out it was destroyed! Like it was torn to pieces by hand and there were pen knife marks, what the hell!"

 

"Yunjin," Sakura attempts, approaching her roommate slowly. It almost feels like attempting to calm an overstimulated Golden Retriever, except this one's wet and agitated.

 

"Oh I swear I'll find the s who did it- anyway so, I took a new one and dried the lil' kitty and placed it outside the theater room under the stairs! I'm such a genius-" Yunjin chuckles to herself, hanging her bag on the coat hanger, drops of water pitter-pattering on the tiles— that earned her a sharp look from Sakura, but she was too busy gushing over the cat she had saved painstakingly.

 

Sakura begrudgingly rubs a hand on her face.

 

"Okay Yunjin, you're-"

 

"It's SO darn cute- UGH! You wanna see pics-"

 

"What's the 6th track on Taylor Swift's recent album." Sakura suddenly interrupts, which successfully stops Yunjin's rambling, earning a questioning yet knowing look from the latter.

 

"Midnight Rain! Wait, why are we listing Taytay's songs?" Yunjin's quick to answer, a finger pointed out with a proud smile adorning her face, before she tilts her head and questions it.

 

Sakura rolls her eyes and huffs, half-intrigued because it worked but now she has to deal with the sight in front of her.

 

"Of course that gets your attention. Yunjin, you're freaking soaked!" She points out, and it finally dawns on the blonde when she looks at herself. 

 

A squeal escapes her lips, Sakura recoiling from the deafening frequency but it's nothing she's not used to. 

 

"Oh... oh ! I forgot! Fu-"

 

"Stop moving! You're getting it on the carpet!" Sakura cries out, grabbing at the roots of her hair when Yunjin tries to move from her spot. The latter looks at her weirdly, eyes flitting from the mat and Sakura to and fro. She lifts a soaked foot, the words 'Welcome' half covered by the other, its brown base colour darkening with the amount of water it's absorbing.

 

"Kkura, it's a welcome mat. It's what welcomes me when I first step foot in here." Was she supposed to float in or something?

 

Sakura narrows her eyes at her, mainly because of the missing honorifics. That aside, she's shaking her head in despair at the mess her eyes had set upon.

 

"That's unnie for you, and you're dirtying it you wet dog!" She whines, Yunjin's jaw dropping at her words.

 

"Wet dog- okay this blonde on me has to go. The Golden Retriever allegations is starting to get to me." Yunjin glares at her half-heartedly, an offended finger pointing at her roommate while the other hand rests on her hip. "Wet dog sounds mean, don't call me that! Why are you laughing- yah."

 

Sakura is laughing behind her fingers and Yunjin visibly turns upset, lower lip jutting out as her eyebrows furrow.

 

"Sorry, you just really resemble this drenched Goldie I saw on the internet-"

 

"Okay, I'm out." Yunjin groans loudly and suddenly spins, fingers already wrapping around the doorknob. But the hand that clutches her wet jean jacket is faster, firm and reeling her back in.

 

"No no no nope, I'll prepare a hot bath for you alright? I'm sorry, just promise to not be mad at me." Sakura gently implores, her big eyes softening as she looks up at Yunjin through her lashes. It tugs at her heartstrings, but Yunjin isn't one to falter easily (not when it comes to Sakura apparently).

 

She isn't annoyed anymore, no, that feeling vanished the second Sakura pulls that look on her. So she feigns being upset just to tease the cherry blossom. Yunjin shrugs off the hand that held her damp jacket, taking a step back with her arms across her chest. Just to roommate, she can endure the feeling of her clothes sticking to her skin for a bit longer.

 

"Yeah, pshh whatever." Yunjin glances at her briefly, keeping up her petulant act, she's actually beginning to freeze her off.

 

Her roommate is really unpredictable, because the next thing she knows, Sakura is doing things she wouldn't normally do. Like for instance, at this very moment, leaning into Yunjin's personal space and gently cupping her wet cheeks. Sakura's palm softly pushes Yunjin's jaw to turn her face back to her, and immediately she knows she's lost. Again.

 

The careful fingers brushing away the strands sticking to her forehead, wiping the droplets trickling down her cheeks before they could fall, the thumbs rubbing her jaw softly. It's all a clear sign of a silent apology and Yunjin is just so, so weak. 

 

"You promise?" Sakura mutters, don't even get Yunjin started on that little smile of hers.

 

Not trusting her words— god forbid she'd spit out incoherent nonsense— Yunjin could only nod in her delirium. It's hard to take her eyes off of this damn woman, Yunjin had realised that throughout their days together. So often she finds herself shamelessly gawking, today was no different.

 

"Good girl, now dry yourself with this while you wait here." Sakura summons a face towel out of nowhere from her back (was that really sitting in her back pocket for a while?) and throws it over her head. Then she backtracks with a smile and disappears off into the bathroom.

 

What the was that. Sakura decides to talk to her in that tone and just leaves her in the dust, it's weird that it's becoming their thing now— doing something daring before walking away like nothing happened. It's like they were dancing around each other but never with.

 

It's messing with her head but she pleads guilty because she sort of enjoys it, whatever this is. She bites her lip and smacks her reddening face with the towel.

 

"...I'm such a goner."

 

Yunjin screams into the towel.

 

 

.

 

vi.

 

Sakura has tried her hardest to ignore the weight on her head, but Yunjin's chin is poking her scalp and her temperament of not being able to stay still is going to drive her up the wall. Just earlier she worried her off for Yunjin, now she wants to put her in solitary confinement.

 

(A lie.)

 

"Your chin is hurting my head, Yunjin-ah." Sakura's sitting on the floor with one knee up, Yunjin's lounging on the couch with her head atop her roommate's, posture sluggish. She's sniffling every few seconds that it's gradually alarming Sakura.

 

"Hng... my nose hurts and I have a migraine." Yunjin's voice is almost nasally, which was all Sakura needed to know that the girl was definitely in for a feverish night. She sighs at the thought of a sick Yunjin, she becomes extra clingy in her feverish state then there's also the fact she gets a little more lovable... 

 

She chews a little too aggressively at the last thought, not that it helps get rid of the sudden burning in her cheeks.

 

"No one told you to take a preshower in the rain." She replies flatly, almost chuckling when Yunjin grunts, feeling the nuzzling of her cheek against the back of her head. Her hands that rested on her shoulders now loosely hang around her neck, warm fingertips grazing her sternum.

 

"I saved a precious life!" Yunjin asserts, then sniffs unceremoniously. She shuts her eyes when her head pounds mercilessly, it felt like her head was stuck in a pot and some was banging on it continuously with a baseball bat. Her sinuses are starting to hurt too, , she saves a cat and all she gets is to be bedridden soon.

 

At least she knows she's in good hands.

 

"That you did," Sakura twists back, prodding a finger to Yunjin's chest to gently push her back on the couch. "Now let's get rid of that migraine, hm?"

 

There's her coffee in one hand and the other is busy giving Yunjin a forehead massage. Sakura completely forgets about the movie, doesn't keep her eyes off her roommate's face in case of discomfort while her fingers press against tense veins. Yunjin sees this through tired, half lidded eyes and scoffs weakly.

 

"Am I hallucinating or are you extra soft with me when I'm sick?" Yunjin says, nudging the other with her knee weakly. 

 

"You're hallucinating." Sakura doesn't waver as always, retorting flatly, but the way her fingertips knead the spot above her eyebrows where the throbbing is, proves her otherwise.

 

Yunjin hums, knows how her roommate doesn't wear her feelings on her sleeve and behind that cool façade, she's one of the most soft-hearted person Yunjin knows. But it doesn't mean that there's not even the tiniest part of her that's curious how much of it is pure tolerance. 

 

"...Is it because I'm always loud? I don't blame you, you did mention you like someone quieter better." She didn't mean to sound self-critical—frankly, she doesn't really care when it comes to other people— but Sakura isn't just any other 'people'.

 

Sakura has a playful smirk on her face as she pretends to ponder, eyes shifting to the ceiling. Yunjin groans at this, she knows how Sakura finds a spark of joy in teasing her when she's a little under the weather.

 

"Like Zuha?" 

 

"...You're not making me feel any better." Yunjin sulks, beginning to push away the hand and wanting to roll over. Sakura doesn't let her, grabbing her shoulder and firmly putting her in place, and Yunjin lets her. She's not really good at this 'pushing her roommate away' thing, is she? 

 

The mug she once held is now placed on the coffee table, the hand that firmly grasped her shoulder loosens, thumb caressing so gently. Yunjin inhales sharply when the other hand reaches out slowly to rest on her neck, the fingers that rub her skin lightly is so full of affection that she almost forgets the throbbing in the back her head, opting to bask in the lingering warmth Sakura's tender touches bestow. They burn her skin, leave ghosting marks and Yunjin only craves more.

 

"You're right. You are loud," Sakura's gives her a knowing look when she earns a frown from the blonde, then her eyes soften again. "but you're Huh Yunjin, my roommate who's the most boisterous person I know. She's also loving, caring and without a doubt, my sunshine. Would I trade you for someone else? Eh... that's debatable."

 

Yunjin lets out a cry from the back of , legs weakly thrashing at whatever game Sakura is playing, making her heart soar and then plummet just like that.

 

"You are so-!"

 

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding." Sakura laughs, head resting on Yunjin's stomach. "All the noisy people in the world and I'd still choose you, and you know that speaks volumes for someone like me." 

 

She props her chin on her abdomen, gazing up into Yunjin's eyes and makes sure she doesn't look away, this time there's sincerity in her brown orbs. Yunjin's chest tightens.

 

"I'm gonna cry."

 

"You already have a cold, don't get your snot on the couch- hey! That's my sleeve!"

 

Sakura spends the next few minutes grabbing a handful of tissues, frantically finding pills for her cold and headache and then blabbering out comforting words out of sheer panic when Yunjin wails her heart out like a newborn. Part of it due to the growing headache but mostly because Sakura's words, no matter how short and simple, easily overpowers her. They wrap like vines around her heart, squeezing and squeezing until Yunjin only has euphoria that explodes in the pressure and pours out love.

 

Much to Sakura's relief, her waterworks ran out eventually. Sakura has long migrated from the spot on the floor to the couch, where she's now cradling Yunjin's head in her lap, the light snores of her roommate blending in with the low volume of the movie in the background.

 

Her fingers would thread through blonde locks, sometimes Yunjin's temple then trailing her fingers over the shell of the girl's ear. She would tear her eyes away from the screen if she feels the slightest shift on her thigh, checking up on the sleeping figure more times than necessary. 

 

It goes on like that for a while, all was well until Yunjin kept repositioning herself. Sakura frowns when her roommate wakes, wondering if she was having nightmares of some sort, her bloodshot eyes slowly blinking before they dart around. 

 

"Kkura unnie...?" Yunjin seeks her instantly, voice raspy from her fevered state.

 

"I'm here, go back to sleep." Sakura reassures her, grabbing the warm hand that desperately clutched the hem of her sweater. 

 

She sees how Yunjin visibly relaxes when her jaded eyes meet tender brown ones, sighs weakly in relief as she buries her head in Sakura's stomach. She says something but her words are muffled against the sweater, so she reluctantly pulls away and glances up at Sakura tiredly.

 

"Legs... cramping up...?" Yunjin slurs, omitting words due to her fatigue, unable to form a coherent sentence. 

 

"I'm fine, Yunjin. Sleep, you need it." Sakura responds, understanding immediately, and it's only then she realises how stiff her left thigh felt. She hadn't noticed earlier, only the thought of tending to Yunjin conquered her mind the last hour. 

 

Yunjin wasn't having it, however, sitting up sluggishly despite the drowsiness going a full circle. Sakura becomes tight-lipped, giving her groggy roommate a feeble glare.

 

"Nooo, lie down wimme... you need to lie down," 

 

"I'm not the one who's sick out of her mind." Somehow, it shortly becomes a tussle— more like a questionable, puny shoving competition between the dazed and the wary to get the other to rest.

 

"Your leg will cramp up, come lie down...!" Yunjin is worn out, she feels like she could pass out anytime and she would be sleeping like a log the next second but her roommate's stubborness can be so incomprehensible sometimes. 

 

Sakura is awkwardly lying down halfway, still resisting the pair of arms trying to trap her to the couch.

 

"We won't fit-"

 

"Unnie please," Yunjin's voice cracks at the end. Her eyes are red, lacking it's spark and devoid of energy she usually possesses. It's a sight Sakura finds heart-wrenching to perceive.

 

Guilt is quick to claw at her guts, and so she surrenders with a sigh of defeat. 

 

"The things I do for you..." She mumbles, slides herself up to Yunjin's eye level and almost slipping off the couch in the midst of adjusting herself. But Yunjin's arm immediately coils around the curve of her waist and suddenly, she feels herself being promptly hauled forward like a catapult, only that it was straight into her roommate's body.

 

She hears how Yunjin snorts in amusement when she squeaks in surprise, the blonde ignoring the sharp look that she earned afterwards. Sakura's palms rest rather awkwardly above her chest, they're practically hovering— there's barely any space to move her arms so they were lodged between their bodies. To save her from embarrassment, Yunjin doesn't point out her flustered ears, growing a darker shade of red by the second.

 

"You're so, so warm..." Yunjin murmurs drowsily, barely seeing Sakura through the smallest slits of her eyes which burned for sleep. She doesn't think she could handle it if she was wide awake, her brain would enter an inert state the moment it seeps into her that literally nothing except this spiraling push and pull game is separating them. 

 

There's this burning desire inside her that wants her to hold her closer, closer and closer until they mold and melt into each other. Until Sakura is conscious of the uncontrollable palpitations that rage within her ribcage, and when she has her heart in her hands, Yunjin would only bare witness how she treats it. Strangely, she doesn't fear it all.

 

"I think that's all coming from your fever." Sakura states, fixing her gaze on Yunjin's sternum to keep her eyes off chapped lips— it's a battle, really. Especially when the cause of her uneasiness (is it uneasiness when it captivates her greatly? when it engulfs her with comfort?) is embracing her, light and considerate.

 

Yunjin doesn't bother responding and Sakura almost mistook her for already dozing off until the blonde drags out her pained grunts, sinking her head deeper into the couch pillow as her face warps with discomfort.   

 

"Hmm fuucck, my head hurts..."

 

The gut-wrenching sight causes Sakura to furrow her brows in concern. Her hand raises to move the strands that fell on her reddening face, tucking them behind pierced ears. She tries her best to calm Yunjin, whispers comforting words and doesn't keep her eyes off her at all as her fingers drag gently across tired eyelids and cheekbones which were too warm for her liking. 

 

When it looked like Yunjin was about to weep because the migraine was too much, Sakura figures that simply leaving her as she is wouldn't do. So she bites her lips and starts pulling away. It doesn't surprise her when the arm around her tightens— Yunjin is somehow still strong in her weathered state— it's a struggle to get out of her embrace (it's not like Sakura wants to either). 

 

"Where... are you going-" Yunjin croaks, looking distraught when Sakura frees herself from her clutches.

 

"To get the soothing balm, just wait-"

 

"Noo don't please, don't go-"

 

"Yunjin, do you want that headache to go away or not?" Sakura firmly says, prying the hands that grabbed her sweater in distress.

 

She doesn't realise her words come off a little harsh— she hadn't meant to— until she notices how Yunjin's hands gradually loosen in defeat and dejection is etched on her face. Sakura's heart drops, then she sighs. She takes Yunjin's hand between hers and presses a gentle kiss on her palm. 

 

"Hey, I'll be just a while, okay? Shut your eyes, count out loud to ten and I'll be back." The corners of her lips curl slightly, a tender smile gracing her lips. It immediately provided the assurance Yunjin needed.

 

Sakura leaves her side without any protest this time and strides to her room, her steps muted and nimble, reluctant to let Yunjin wait long. True to her words, she pops out seconds later, quickly making her way back to the living room, the small bottle of salvation within her grasp.

 

"Unnie... I'm seriously going to die." Yunjin dramatically announces as Sakura's fingers spread the balm under her ears all the way to her nape, moving on to her sinuses with careful manoeuvre so she doesn't accidentally blind her roommate. As if the cluster headache wringing her optic nerves isn't enough.

 

"You are such a big baby." Sakura rolls her eyes but smiles in amusement. There's a goofy, dazed smile on Yunjin's lips when she starts massaging her temples. 

 

"Better?" 

 

Yunjin nods, a content sigh escaping her lips. She leans into the gentle touch, cheeks nuzzle against rigid palms.

 

"Yes..."

 

There's the wave of fluttering that washes over her again, it renders her motionless for while, causes the little hairs on the back of her neck to stand at attention. It's never unpleasant, she takes it all in like the balmy summer air, sunbathes in it. 

 

She clears , tries her hardest to suppress the giddy smile forming on her lips. It happens too many times due to the burst of adrenaline after those fluttering feelings just explode from her core, spreading throughout her body.

 

And with those lingering feelings, Sakura moves to lie down beside the blonde again and if she realises how Yunjin's smile seem to widen, she doesn't talk about it. Her arms welcome her back in its longing embrace, as if she belonged there in the first place, and this time her hands rest upon Yunjin's neck, thumbs caressing the spot under her jawline slowly. She takes advantage of the fact that Yunjin still has her eyes closed, uses the opportunity to openly gaze at sharp features and soft curves.

 

Her jaw unconsciously clenches, before finally letting an endearing smile stretch across her lips. It's ridiculous, she thinks, a face she sees everyday yet during moments when she's this close, her mind goes into frenzy and the yearning subjugates her entire being.

 

"It's messed up how cute you are like this, like I wanna bite your cheeks 'cause you're so red but you're freaking sick." She says, earning a delighted hum. Then a leg hooks around her own and the hand on her waist pulls her just a little closer.

 

"Just kiss me when I'm better." Yunjin mutters, looking at her through tired eyes and hell, does she know how badly she's charming Sakura with that quirky, lazy, tired little smile?

 

The heat crawls from her neck to the top of her head, nearly combusting as she fleetingly loses her speech and movement capabilities. 

 

"You're really soft for me when I'm sick, I need to record this." Of course, Yunjin unintentionally breaks the moment, bringing Sakura out of her stupor and subsequently searches the back of her pocket for her phone. 

 

Embarrassed, Sakura pinches her earlobe.

 

"I will leave you on this couch."

 

She was actually going to, growing too self-conscious about her short moment of being lovestruck (in other words, gay panic) but Yunjin works harder, keeping her in place and spilling neverending pleas. The blonde doesn't give her mind a moment of peace and clings to her like a koala, head tucked under her chin as long arms cage her on the couch. It's a little cramped, and Sakura swears she could feel herself slipping off the edge little by little, but Yunjin doesn't let her go and keeps her anchored. 

 

She burns against her (quite literally) and she's sure Yunjin can hear how loud her heart beats for her. They sing her name over and over, and she silently hopes that Yunjin's heart sing hers. 

 

.

 

vii.

 

As much as she enjoys her time to herself and the silence that engulfs her, Sakura finds that it's missing the occasional random knocks on her door, the melodious humming of songs from the kitchen and her name being called a million times within 24-hours. It's embarrassing to just be aware of it, but she's beginning to miss her rowdy roommate. It's even more embarrassing realising that they have been apart for longer than that before this (they visited their families for the holidays last year) and she's already missing Yunjin's presence barely a day in.

 

The blonde who left ten hours ago donning her thickest varsity jacket and a couple of outdoor bags slung on her shoulders, is currently away for the annual 2-days-1-night camp outing her club would organise. Just this morning, she was unceremoniously awoken from her slumber because Yunjin had wanted to bid her farewell. 

 

She was barely awake when she was suddenly wrapped in a breathless hug, fortunately, it was short and her lungs lived to breathe another day. 

 

Ever since her departure, Yunjin hasn't left her notifications alone. Her phone would ping every few minutes and when she opens their chat, it's full of emoticons and words upon words of pure excitement. Nevermind the countless typographical and grammatical error in almost every single message, Sakura could practically hear her excitement through the phone.

 

8:07am

did u wake up yet sis pls answer
RISE AND SHINEE!!!&/!&
hope u dreamt bout me hehe jk
unless.... 👀

 

8:14am

nvm this bij dead 🙄
i jus boarded the
bus** wtf why did it autocorrect
actually i plead guilty i saw someone w an
impressive dumptruck n unconsciously typed that lol
 

 

                                                    get ur mind out of the gutter
                                                                   its literally 8am 😦
 
 
 
omg look whos finally awake !!
my roomie who didnt say goodbye to me
 
 
 
                           i was literally half dead when you woke me up 

 

 

sorry i fr thought u were alr awake 
with ur eyes open like that
jkjk
read
DONTR LEAVVE ME ON READ IM SORRYH
COME BACKK$@(&!&;@!!
read

 

That was how their morning went at least, Yunjin had sent a selfie of her in the bus as a form of an apology after. Sakura had to stop stirring her cup of coffee for a hot second, scoffs at herself after letting her eyes have the satisfaction of gawking at the selfie for a minute (or two). 

 

Sakura cannot, for the life of her, comprehend how Yunjin manages to text her constantly. Supposedly, she was one of the student leaders who took part in organising the camp— being a junior student and all— basically, the seniors and a handful of juniors were expected to lead the whole camp thing. 

 

She had seen how Yunjin thoroughly brainstormed months prior about the various activities they could be doing out there, only wanting the utmost joy so everyone would have the best possible experience during their short time together. It was an admirable side of her, sometimes Sakura would catch her dozing off on her desk, and she would place a blanket over her and whisper praises that she was already doing good.

 

12:27pm

omg the signal here is terrible unnie
send me a pic of u winking if u see this
read
 
>:((( unfair ive been sending pics of 
me n and all i get is READ 

 

                                                                                         lies!! 
                                                                            i respond 💩
 

 

not enough 🫤
have u eaten tho
look what im eating for lunch heh 
yunjinie sent a photo.
😎 bibimbapz
 

 

                                                     looks good but mines better 
                                                                   you sent a photo.
                                                                               donburi 😼
 

 

WHAT
did u cook that im crying i want some
 

 

                                                            no the japanese stall at 
                                                                     our uni reopened
 
 
 
OMGG ARE U FR
the northwing righttt
we have to go tgt next time PLS

 

 

                                                       only if youre paying ☺️🫰🏻
                                                            its pretty expensive ngl

 

 

idc i want it i NEED IT 👹
 
 
 
                                                                             okie now go
 
 
 
☹️boo im spending my lunch texting u
u should be honoured its my free time

 

 

                                                  like you havent been flooding
                                                my notifications since morning 
                                                        distracted me in class 🙄

 

 

oops finee ill tone it down 
jeez let me miss u dangg 🥹
byee lunch is ending 🫶🏻 ill text u in the evening 
i wont disturb u sm

 

 

                                                                                             no
                                                 i dont mind your daily updates
                                                                 just keep texting 🏃🏻‍♂️

 

 

omg unnie ure so 🥹🫂

 

 

Sakura gets called out for smiling at her phone too much during lunch by her friends, it brings colour to her cheeks, she desperately tries to save herself with feeble protests. She was almost in stitches when one of them teases her about a secret boyfriend, oh... if only they knew it was anything but a man.

 

Hours later, during her study group session, Yunjin's texts still occupy her whole notification wall. She replies to Yunjin during short breaks, makes sure that she's never missed a single speech bubble that just makes her day a little more tolerable. 

 

4:01pm

wassup girll
we just finished trekking 
felt like i hiked up mt everest 
now my feet aches like a biatch
totally would die for ur massages rn

 

 

                                                                 ask ur friends?? 🤨
 

 

not the samee u just have magical fingers
what else they do tho 🌚
 
 
                                                                                              ...
                         my hand is hovering over the block button fyi
 

 

pls we both know u wont do it 
ujhhhgg im tireddd we still have campfire later 

 

 

                                             ooooo take pics of the stars later 
                                      i heard theres a lot wherever you are

 

 

suree but fun fact

 

                                                                                     whattttt
                                          if you crack a dad joke about stars 
                                                              im srsly blocking omg
 

 

wayyy to ruin the moment 🙄
and for the record my jokes r funny 
u just dont have my humor 👊🏻

 

 

                                          whatever floats your boat🌊🚣🌊
                                                           ok so whats the fun fact

 

 

fun fact: prettiest stars are the ones found in ur eyes
..........
ok nvm i just reread that and its cringey AF 
😭😭
read
 
oh mai GOSHJHH she left me on read again 
stoppp dont humiliate me even more
COME BACK U COWARDDD 

 

 

                                                            better fact check again

 

 

wut

 

 

                                                   as far as i know, the prettiest 
                                                         ones are in your eyes 🤷🏻‍♀️

 

 

yunjinie sent a photo.
read

 

Sakura giggles behind her fingers, grinning fondly at Yunjin's flustered selfie. It was underexposed and blurry, she had a hand over mouth and her eyes screwed shut. She had to admit though, Yunjin had caught her completely offguard with her sudden flirting that she had to pause her drama and only replied after she had recovered from her own flustered state. 

 

The thought of how Yunjin probably reacted the same amuses her, noticing the unusual pause in her reply, until she could only manage to send out a blurry selfie before disappearing. 

 

22:49pm

just got back in ma room😼

 

 

                                                                                        sleep

 
 
nauurr
unnie 

 

 

                                                                                         what 
                                                                               go to sleep
 

 

unnie unnie unnie unniee
kkura kkura kkuraa kkuraaaaya

 

 

                                                                    do you wanna die

 

 

i miss u
also sure i dont mind dying in ur hands😚
ok but like i miss u tho 

 

 

                                                    its only been one day yunjin

 

 

oh woe is me~ 😫
i might actually die if i dont see u rn unnie

 

 

                                           soo dramatic i see why youre in theater
                                                                            you'll live 👍🏻
                                           use the ointment for your feet btw

 

 

i didnt bring it 🥲

 

 

                                  blue backpack, frontmost zip, theres an 
                                                          inner pocket  there

 

 

WTF no way unnie 
omfg its really there 
ure my saviour 🥹

 

 

                                                what would you do without me

 

 

die ☺️
unnie i miss u 
 
 
 
                                                              you see me everyday

 

 

u know that time i got covid and we couldnr interact
couldnt*
yea this is worse

 

 

                       we were separated for a week this is 2 days 😃
                                          we were STILL in the same vicinity
                        also the holidays?? we were apart for a month

 

 
yea but like
im not around u at all like i cant smell or see u
also we were barely getting acquainted 
during the holidays last year 
it was only 2 wks after i moved in man 🙄

 

 

                                                                          smell or see...
                                                              thats kinda creepy 😶‍🌫️

 

 

omg i did NOT mean it that way smh
YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN

 

 

                                                     that youre a creep?? 😱😱

 

 

🙄🙄🙄 
whatevs im getting sleepy 
goodnight imy<3 
 
 
 
                                                                           ilyt now sleep
                                                                             IMYT********

 

yunjinie took a screenshot.
❤️❤️❤️

 

Yunjin continues her oversharing the next morning, updates her roommate about everything she's doing like it's second nature. It was entertaining nevertheless, her enthusiasm and commitment draws a smile on Sakura's face. Her mornings are never a bore— even with Yunjin away— she contentedly spends her time responding to the blonde's constant texts despite being occupied. If her roommate could find time for her, she could do the same. 

 

6:22am

i hatehatehatehate cockroaches
n e way, GOOD MORNINGG 🌅🌞✨

 

7:59am

almost died in the shower 
who the eff left a soap bar on the floor bruh 🙄

 

9:04am

yunjinie sent a photo.
looks like u 
cute lil kitty 

 

10:30am

woohoo we're going to the stream today~~
yunjinie sent a photo.
my asss is freezinfdg the waters soncold 
 

10:58am

uGHRKKKJSJ&;&(@ MY PHONE GOTNWET
yunjinie sent 3 photos.
freshmen woke up n chose violence
we student leaders out here getting 
splashed to the core 😭😭

 

11:28am

we ate a bigass watermelon are u jealous
yunjinie sent a photo.

 

11:58am

we cleared 9 whole watermelons our club 
teacher couldnt stop being in awe about it lol
u know we should come here for a
getaway trip sometime
just u and me 🤭
 
yunjinie sent a photo.
dont mind the lonely watermelon seed 
on my cheek just look at the view
which is prettier, me or the view
actually dont answer that 🙄 i know u

 

 

Her book lays forgotten on her lap as her fingers continuously tapped her phone screen, keeping up with Yunjin's updates felt more like a priority than reading was at the moment. 

 

Later when lunch came, she unconsciously puts down her spoon so fast when Yunjin's text suddenly comes in, eyebrows instantly furrowing when she reads the text.

 

 

1:48pm

lol so this one freshman dude tried to hit on me
how r they so bold these days
rejected him tho

 

 

                                                                did he leave u alone

 

 

wow u replied fast on this one 
unnie i sent pics :((
i told him we play for the same team 
u shouldve seen his face when he realised
thank god he didnt try to put me on a stake or smtg
hes chill 🤙🏻
ttyl we meeting up for the last activity then debrief 

 

 

                                                         have fun dont get hurt😺
 
 
 
ofc!!

 

 

                                         you look pretty in all the 28 pictures
                                                          i pay attention you know
                                                                                send more 
                                                                                         read

 

 

Sakura huffs in relief, the heavy feeling in her chest gradually subsiding. She was reluctant to send her last few texts initially, but she knows just when Yunjin needs the assurance. It wasn't only that (she's not that cold), it was genuine coming from her. She would find herself scrolling through all of the pictures sent by her roommate, smiling so broadly knowing how much fun Yunjin was having out there. Something about seeing her sunshine spreading her warmth and transmitting her bright energy to others fills her with a sense of pride and joy. 

 

 

5:10pm

bus is reaching uni soon 
come pick me up?

 

                                                                   yeppp On my way!

 

🤭 that autocorrect will always be goofy
yunjinie sent a photo.
i didnt have time to put makeup
yay or nay 

 

 

                                                                                   ultra yay
                                                                        #freeyourmoles

 

 

🫵🏻🥺 my number 1 mole advocate
 
 
                                                                                       📠📠
 
 
 
😹😹
drive safe 😙

 

 

When the time comes, the void she feels at home will soon be filled again. Her car engine purrs to life and Sakura exits the driveway shortly, and when her ears recognised a familiar tune playing on the radio, she hums happily along with it. It was one of Yunjin's favourite after all.

 

She spots a couple of chartered buses in their univeristy parking lot when she arrives, doesn't see a particular blonde anywhere though so she simply assumes they were back in the theater room for a final debrief between the student leaders – seeing how none of them, whom she would normally recognise, was among those who were walking out of campus. So she waits outside patiently, leaning on the car as her eyes try to pick out a boy among the exiting freshmen who highly looks like they had the balls to hit on her roommate.

 

If any of them mistake her for glaring, that wouldn't be her problem.

 

Thankfully, time was lenient on her, because Yunjin walks out of the campus minutes later along with the other student leaders she recognised. She's laughing her heart out, head thrown back at something her friends said, hiking up her bags' straps on her shoulders. Sakura bites back a smile, ponytail looks good on her.

 

And when Yunjin finally notices her, she breaks into her biggest smile capable of shifting tectonic plates before waving to her friends and sprinting towards Sakura at full speed. Sakura tells her to slow down the moment she does, the bags clutching to her for life instead of the other way round.

 

Yunjin doesn't listen of course, practically crashing into her as pulls her in for a hug. For a moment, Sakura thought she had lost her lungs but reciprocates almost immediately. She blushes when she spots Yunjin's friends blatantly smirking and giggling in the distance, buries her face in Yunjin's shoulder to hide herself.

 

"Did you have a farewell party?"

 

"Yep it was fun, everyone is great."

 

"Did you drink?"

 

"Nope,"

 

"Oh? Why didn't you?"

 

"'Cause! I don't wanna have dinner with you drunk off my . Now let's go! I'm starving!"

 

They head to McDonald's after that. 

 

It's only when the skies turn pitch black that they reach home, Yunjin speedwalks ahead of her to punch in the code merrily, Sakura just watching fondly. She chuckles when Yunjin inhales long and sharply (her nose is practically vacuuming the air) the moment they step in, smiling as she merely drops her bags onto the floor. 

 

"It was only two days- oh!" 

 

Just as she closes the door and opens to speak on her roommate's dramatic sentiment, Yunjin abruptly jumps her for an embrace. It's tight at first which rendered the japanese speechless, it feels like desperate longing until it loosens and resembles more like content.

 

"And what's this for...?" Sakura trails off, chin on Yunjin's shoulder. Still in shock because of the sudden gesture, her hands were awkwardly hanging in the air. Yunjin's ponytail feels ticklish grazing her cheeks, but they don't rival the ones in her stomach.

 

"Last night during the campfire... we talked about the one thing we probably can't live without our whole lives," Yunjin's voice is soft, almost demure. "almost everyone said their phones, so I did too."

 

Sakura has a brow raised in confusion, doesn't really understand where Yunjin was going with that and wanted to pull away to ask about it. Maybe tell her that she could share her stories later when they weren't standing at the entrance. But Yunjin remains resolute and holds her in place, adamant on continuing. So Sakura does what she wants and stays, hands gripping the sides of Yunjin's jacket.

 

"I lied though. It's only been barely two days yeah, but it was enough for me to realise that just the thought of being in your absence for far longer would drive me insane." Yunjin admits breathlessly, her laugh afterwards is humorless. "It's purgatory even."

 

Sakura has her jaw clenched throughout, eyes staring at the wall in front of her widely, uncertain if she should say anything.

 

"But I think... no, I know, that my answer is you. I just can't imagine a day without you unnie, I don't want to." Yunjin says, almost a whisper. 

 

Sakura apprehends words so intimate, tone filled with fragility that she herself feels isn't deserving to hear. Yet she selfishly wants those same words to be for her, and her only. 

 

"Don't say anything, just hold me please." Yunjin mutters, voice trembling. She mistakes Sakura's lack of reply as being dumbfounded and overwhelmed by her sudden confession, decides to ignore the fear creeping up her skin. 

 

Sakura is merciful though, the brunette presses further into her hug and wraps her arms around her waist. Yunjin feels herself smile, at least she knows Sakura will stay.

 

"Goodnight, unnie." She pulls away first, doesn't miss the tugs at her jacket seemingly wanting her to stay. But she's had a long day and sleep beckons her.

 

It had been on impulse— yet also a form of silent gratitude— as Yunjin pulls away, she angles her head to press her lips on Sakura's forehead. Their height difference had been perfect for it, perhaps that was also one of the reasons she had been dying to do that. 

 

It quickly puts her in a state of pure embarrassment and self-realisation, even worse, she doesn't regret it. So Yunjin figures scrambling off to her room was the next best option. 

 

"You... how could you do all that and just walk away..." Sakura meekly says, catching her wrist before she could take another step. Her face is unreadable, eyebrows furrowed. Then Yunjin literally feels her heart drop, pupils trembling with unusual nervousness.

 

Had she been wrong? It felt like there had been something between them that they have built, something only the two of them felt— she was so sure. 

 

"I-I'm sor-"

 

"No you idiot, why are you apologizing?" Sakura cuts her off, frowning. Her grip on Yunjin tightens for a brief moment, leaving the blonde in utter confusion.

 

"Huh? I-I just... I just thought you didn't like that-"

 

"I never said anything." 

 

"So..." Yunjin pauses, tilting her head. "You... like it?"

 

Silence ensues, Sakura can't meet her gaze for some reason but she doesn't let her hand go. She's tight-lipped, eyes glued to the floor and when she tucks her hair behind her ear, it dawns on Yunjin how red her ears had become. 

 

Oh...

 

Suddenly, Yunjin feels her own neck growing hot, her knees are kind of wobbly and her heart is thundering like there's no tomorrow... because she realises that in fact, Sakura does like it.

 

"Let me sleep in your room, tonight..." Sakura suddenly says, glancing up timidly at the blonde who looked like she was going to combust.

 

"My blanket is in the wash and I get easily cold." She quickly reasons, hopes Yunjin doesn't question it and the blonde just accepts it, much to her relief.

 

"Okay... yeah." Yunjin's voice cracks, she clears swiftly after, cheeks tinted pink.

 

Upon her approval, Sakura turns and leads them to Yunjin's room. And when they climb into the velvety sheets, Sakura immediately latches onto her front, wanting nothing more than to hide her scarlet face (aside from being near her roommate of course). Yunjin bites her lips, squeezing her eyes shut as she internally squeals, head high in the clouds.

 

"...Are you sleepy?" Sakura breaks the comfortable silence, and Yunjin almost wants to fling herself off a cliff when her roommate starts drawing circles above her chest with a finger.

 

"Not really actually..." How could she be? All the drowsiness disappeared the moment Sakura gripped her wrist and looked up at her with gleaming eyes.

 

"Good," Sakura replies, snuggles further into the crook of her neck and tangles their legs together. Yunjin's smiling uncontrollably. "Tell me all about how your camp went, don't skip a thing."

 

And Yunjin does, all the while her hair and lips curling up in a huge grin whenever Sakura hums in acknowledgment, to tell her she was still awake and willing to listen till the end. Her lips had curved up into a soft smile, letting the calmness of Yunjin's voice enter her ears like a dulcet cradle song.