Is It Too Late?

Is It Too Late?

"So they're getting married tomorrow. What are you gonna do?"

Donghae looks away from Heechul, unable to meet his eyes. He doesn't want to see his pity. 

"What I'm supposed to do. I'm gonna be his best man."

"Donghae... Is this really okay? Aren't you going to regret this?"

"What choice do I have?"

Donghae looks down at his hands as he clenches them, and wonders for the hundredth time what it would be like to wear a matching ring with Hyukjae.

"You could say something, Donghae. Like I've told you to for years. You can't keep doing this to yourself." 

"I can't lose him in my life, hyung." 

Donghae finally looks up at Heechul. Donghae feels the familiar burn in his eyes that's refused to leave since he first found out the joyous news from Hyukjae.

"I-I can't. If it's this or nothing at all, I will always choose to have him."

Donghae's eyes drop once more, willing away the burning tears. He can't cry. Not now, not here. He has to wait until it's over, or at least for the wedding toast as he needs to do. Maybe he can pass it off as happy tears. Everyone knows he cries a lot, so it would work out. Right?

"Donghae... he's not an idiot. You really think he wouldn't notice anything after all this time?"

Donghae's head snaps up and rushes towards Heechul, gripping his collar harshly as he glares at Heechul, desperation in his voice. 

"You can't say this now. It's too late. Don't-don't do this to me."

Heechul grabs Donghae's hands and pulls them off. " this stupid promise. You two are such morons, you guys really do fit together."

Heechul opens the door and gestrures for Donghae to leave. "He's been waiting a long time for you. Don't keep him waiting any longer."

Donghae glances quickly at the door and looks back at Heechul. 

"Thank you, hyung." 

"You brat. Just remember to invite me to the real wedding."

Donghae bolts out the door, and Heechul sighs. Did he do the right thing? Well, whatever. He just wants his friends to be happy.