Be Mine?

Be Mine!

It was no secret to anyone at Woollim Academy that Lee Sungjong was biual. Although he and his friends denied it many times, the only title to describe their social status would be ‘kingka’. Constantly chased by girls and guys, Sungjong was one of the most sought after people in the school.

There was just something in his innocence and naivety that drew you in, the way he was so easily distracted. He was just like a butterfly – pretty, flitting from flower to flower, but oh-so easily crushed. Fragile. Yes, you thought. That was good word to describe him.

But no matter how fleeting or how brief his attention was, you treasured every moment of it. Fortunately, you figured you had a better chance than most of his fans. You weren’t best friends, but you were definitely friends, and that was something.

Your friendship had been born from necessity – after all, kingkas and queenkas should be friends (or more), and you were definitely a queenka. The three queenkas – you, Baby Soul and Yoo Jia – had inherited the title after the previous queenkas graduated, but you were still looking for more people.

It was around the beginning of the school year when the two ruling groups befriended each other – sure, you all knew each other, but only at an acquaintance level. Your brother Woohyun knew Sungjong’s brother Sunggyu, and the two were good friends. And it was around that time that you finally realised you had feelings for Sungjong.

Unfortunately, your relationship with him was going nowhere.


After greeting your friends, you headed straight to your locker. It was quite close to Sungjong’s, and you were pleased that you were seeing him more and more often. Sharing more classes, sitting together at lunchtimes – it was all coming together.

You graciously accepted your admirers’ presents, placing them gently in your locker before waving at Sungjong. “Sungjong-oppa!”

You could easily spot him – always the centre of attention, today he had his arms full of flowers and chocolates and gifts. Sungjong welcomed you with a smile and cute tilt of his head. “Hi.”

You felt your heart flutter happily, but before you could speak again, he asked, “Could you help me please?” He gave you a small pout and your resolve melted instantly. “There are so many presents, and I think if I got one more I’d probably fall over!” He laughed lightly.

You smiled back and fiddled with the chocolates you had behind your back before stuffing them into your bag. “Sure, no problem.” You scooped an armful of gifts from him. “Let’s go.”

“I’ll walk you to class,” Sungjong offered. As you neared the classroom door, you opened your mouth to thank him and wish him a happy Valentine’s Day, but to your dismay, he had walked right past you.


“See you later!” You waved goodbye to your friend Sang Hee and her boyfriend Byunghun before hurrying off to your usual lunch spot. To your delight, you recognised Sungjong there, along with Sungyeol and L.  All six of you had more than enough Valentine’s Day gifts, but Sungjong had the most by far.

You assumed that the three boys had had enough of fans and presents, and now that the three queenkas were there, none of the boys’ admirers would dare interrupt. Instead, they sat close by and snuck sly glances.

You sighed loudly, not bothering to mask your disappointment that the seat next to Sungjong was already taken. Jia looked up with a smile, but you weren’t in the mood to talk. Pouting, you ate your food and glared at L. He and Sungjong were acting unusually cosy but you assumed it was probably fan-service. The two boys were showing a lot skinship – forming hearts, blowing kisses and holding hands.

Rolling your eyes in exasperation, you pouted at the twinges of envy that flared up. But as you studied them, your gaze was drawn not to Sungjong but Kim Myungsoo. You frowned but then everything clicked.

Myungsoo likes Sungjong?!


“Stop that!” you snapped as L blew a farewell kiss to Sungjong.

“What are we doing?” L scowled impatiently. You rolled your eyes and tugged him further away, hoping that you could find privacy outside.

“I need to talk to you.” You decided that a bench was good enough and pulled him down. 

“Well?” The handsome boy crossed his arm and quirked an eyebrow expectantly.

“I saw you when you were sitting with Sungjong,” you said. “I saw the way you look at him. You like him.” You frowned disapprovingly.  

L shrugged nonchalantly but it was easy to see the flush on his cheeks. “So? He might accept me. ”

“You were going to confess?” you blurted incredulously. Your stomach churned nervously and you wanted to throttle him on the spot. “Are you kidding me?”

“What’s wrong with that?” L scowled heavily at you.

“Sungjong doesn’t have the attention span of a teaspoon, and we both know his relationships have been absolute disasters,” you snapped, wiping your sweaty palms on your skirt. You knew that L had a better chance than you did with Sungjong, and you hated him for it.

“Yes, but we’re friends,” L said patiently. “And are we still friends? Yes. How long have we been friends? Since the beginning of high school, and unless I’m mistaken, that’s a lot longer than any of his disastrous relationships.”

“But what if you ruin your friendship?” you challenged. “You break up, and then what?

L gave you his infamous smirk. “We won’t. Are you that desperate?” You glared murderously at him as he chuckled. “I’m not blind, you know. You like him as well.”

Now that the truth was out, you had nothing to hide. “And I’ve liked him longer!” you hissed, stomping your foot angrily. “He’s mine!”

“Says who?” L retorted, rising to his feet. You stood and crossed your arms with a huff, dismayed that he was still taller than you.  “He won’t accept you!”

 “Shut up!” you shrieked, storming off crossly. Now that the competition was getting serious, there was no time to lose. It was Valentine’s Day, and you were going to confess to Lee Sungjong. Even if he was distracted, he was still too sweet to decline you. You were friends, and that was why you were going to be his girlfriend.

Knowing him, he was probably stopping by his locker on the way to class. Swiftly, you pulled out your chocolates and approached him. “Sungjong-oppa!”

Sungjong looked up from his locker. “Hi!”

“Can I talk to you for a bit?” you asked.

He nodded happily. “I need to tell you something!”

Your hopes soared. “O-Okay, you can go first!”

“I was going to tell you at lunch time, but you disappeared with Myungsoo-hyung,” Sungjong said solemnly. “I told everyone else, so now I can tell you!”

You were slightly perplexed by his words, but nodded anyway. “Tell me what?”

“See, I really like someone,” Sungjong said shyly. “I’ve liked this person ever since they first came to our school…”

“And?” you prompted eagerly.

“Well, after you and Myungsoo disappeared, I finally gathered the courage to confess,” the boy continued. “So I just wanted you to know that Lee Howon is now my boyfriend!”

You dropped your chocolates in surprise. “Boyfriend?!”

“Yup!” Sungjong chirped.

 “Boyfriend?!” L repeated from behind you.

“Oh, hi, hyung.” Sungjong greeted him.

“A boyfriend?” you asked miserably.  

Sungjong pouted. “Why is everyone so surprised?”

Because…I…You…” You groaned loudly and growled, “Never mind,” before storming off to class with L at your heels.

Sungjong tilted his head in confusion and bent down. “Hey, look! Chocolates!”


Hooray! I actually ship MyungJong but...meh. Also hooray for cameos, because this fic stars my lovely dongsaeng SangHee who has awesome stories.