Fin - Library Love

Library Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dreams, Joohyun remembers dreaming of being one of their country's most outstanding lawyers. It all started with her love of watching documentaries revolving around unsolved crimes. Joohyun will find herself binge-watching and even reading cold cases. That hobby and passion grew until she finally reached her senior year in high school. 

Joohyun remembers when she first entered law school, and her university life was far from fun. Her journey was filled with stress and pressure from everyone. But that changed when she accidentally met a music major from Canada. The short-haired woman was sitting in her usual spot in the library. 

Meeting Seungwan was like a blessing in disguise for the law student. She's known for being so goal-oriented that she usually forgets to loosen up. Many events proved to Joohyun that Seungwan is like an angel that the heavens sent to help her survive law school. 

Joohyun didn't realize that her Law School days would be one of the most valuable memories of her life.

It all started when she first saw the blonde girl while wearing her headset and writing stuff. Her usual spot was occupied by a short-haired blonde who looked so immersed. Joohyun felt her heart race when she meets her eyes. "Uhm? Is there something wrong?" Joohyun was stunned. The woman's voice sounded so good that she felt like a smile was creeping into her face. 

"Uhhh, nothing. I'm just surprised that someone is sitting in my usual spot." Joohyun voice was low, mindful of the other students inside the library. The blonde girl softly chuckles before she pulls another chair beside her. Joohyun rapidly blinked as she watched how the girl tapped the chair beside her. 

"We can share the table, though. I pulled a chair for you."  Joohyun stood there stunned, but the blonde girl was grinning at her, and somehow she thought this person was someone she could trust. Her eyes went toward what was on the table, a notebook, and her laptop was open. Joohyun was hesitant, but the law student moved closer to the chair. The short-haired girl was watching her as she settled down beside her. She immediately took her thick- law book out and her Ipad. "Wow, you are a law student?" Joohyun responded with a nod before she placed her bag down on the floor. 

"How about you?" the woman beside her hesitated for a second before she pointed to her laptop. Joohyun was surprised, and a smile was seen on her face. "You are majoring in music therapy?"  the blonde nods her head before she scratches her nape. At this point, Joohyun finds her amazing. The girl beside her must love music because she chose to major in this course. "That's cool, and it's my first time to meet a music major. Nice to meet you...." the lady beside her immediately extended her hand for a shake before she smiled. 

"Son Seungwan, you can call me Wendy." Joohyun's smile was present when she finally knew the name of the person beside her. She reached for her hand to give it a shake. 

"My name is Joohyun, Bae Joohyun." Seungwan's smile was so bright when she placed her pen down to continue staring at the law student. Joohyun felt conscious, but her smile was seen too, when Seungwan nodded like she understood everything. 

"Cabbage, eonnie?" Joohyun laughed to the point that the people beside their table eyed them. Seungwan chuckled as well before she nudged Joohyun for being noisy. It is good that the librarian is out of sight because Seungwan is inevitable that they will be kicked out in an instant. 

"Nice joke. I heard that often." Seungwan could only chuckle as she watched how the law student started opening her book. She's thinking about how big the difference between their courses is, and she can't help but admire how focused the law student is now. 

"Should I call you cabbage-nim?" Seungwan said while she was busy typing on her laptop. Joohyun grins before she looks at the woman beside her. She places her I-pen down before she looks at her. 

"You give me a nickname when it's our first meeting."  Seungwan nodded her head as she reached for her water bottle. The music therapy student can only smile as she continues what she's doing. "That makes me think I should give you a nickname too." Joohyun hums as she continues looking at the blonde girl beside her. "Wannie?" Seungwan can only chuckle as she stops writing again. How can she feel comfortable with someone she just knew minutes ago? 

"Baechu eonnie." Joohyun just found herself smiling at the antics of the small girl. 

How would one fateful encounter at the library results in this kind of thing?

It was raining so hard, Joohyun was standing outside their building, gripping her backpack. The law student feels so down whenever it rains, and she hates the rain and the cold weather. As someone who quickly gets cold, she usually spends her time inside her room, drinking hot cholate and drowning in the cases she needs to study. 

But today is a different case, her evening class had just ended, and the rain was suddenly pouring hard. Joohyun, who never brings her umbrella, feels she will be stuck here for a long time. The tiredness is slowly sinking into her, and she's been in the school for the whole day, studying cases and stuff. "I should just start running." Joohyun heard her soft voice, but she felt someone stopping her even before she could take a step down the stairs. Joohyun was startled, but she suddenly recognized that calming perfume and soft hand. 

"Eonnie?! What are you thinking? The rain is hefty! You will surely be sick once you run out." Joohyun blinked her eyes when she saw Seungwan holding her wrist. The music therapy student was staring at her with crumpled eyebrows. She even removed her jacket and placed it on her shoulder. The warmth of Seungwan's jacket immediately replaced the coldness. "Good thing I saw you here! I was worried you didn't have an umbrella when I saw the dark skies after my last class." Seungwan pulled Joohyun closer to her before they went back inside the campus. It's almost empty, and there are only a few students inside. They went to one of the benches to sit on it. "Let's just wait for the rain to stop, and I'll drive you home." Joohyun felt her ear warm upon hearing those from Seungwan. As they settled on the bench, Joohyun scooted closer to her friend. 

"Why are you still here? Your class ended two hours ago." Seungwan shrugged as she continued looking outside. She watched how the rain continued to pour hard. Is she isn't sure what to answer? 

"I saw the skies earlier were so dark, and I remembered that you don't always bring an umbrella." Joohyun can only smile as she leans her head on Seungwan's shoulders. Despite being friends for only a month when their interaction is limited to seeing each other at their spot in the library and when Seungwan brings her lunch, Joohyun is undeniably comfortable with the presence of the short-haired blonde. 

"You are telling me you waited for two hours just because you are worried I'll be soaked in the rain." Seungwan nodded her head, and that made Joohyun's heart flutter. How did this cute girl she meet at the library care for her this much? 

"Are you sleepy? tired?" Joohyun shook her head, but her body betrayed her when she ended up yawning. The music therapy student could only chuckle when she heard Joohyun yawn. "Aigoo, eonnie, let's buy something before we head home." Seungwan took her phone out and snapped a photo of her and Joohyun. 

"Ya, what was that?" Seungwan was laughing as she stared at the photo and immediately hid her phone inside her pocket. On the other hand, the law student can only shake her head in disbelief. Seungwan does a lot of unexplainable things. 

"I told my friend that I found this friend, and she looks like a goddess, but she won't believe me. I guess this photo is enough proof?" both Joohyun and Seungwan laugh, and Joohyun even hits her friend's arm before she sits up properly. 

"You mean a photo of me looking so sleepy will help your friend believe that you have a goddess friend?" the blonde chuckles before she stands up and offers her hand to carry Joohyun's bag, the exhausted law student. Just let her be and finally stood up as well. 

"Well, yes, I think it's a fact that eonnie is a goddess." Seungwan immediately opened the umbrella before they started walking out of the campus. The rain was weaker now, making it easy for them to reach Seungwan's car. "Eonnie, hop in." Joohyun smiled when Seungwan opened the door for her. The blonde placed Joohyun's bag and books in the backseat before she immediately hopped inside too. "Do you want to eat ramen first? I know a great spot." Joohyun felt tired, and it would be nice to feel her bed finally, but seeing her tiny puppy smiling while looking at her made Joohyun forget the logical reason why she wanted to run under the rain. 

"It'll be my treat tonight, okay?" Seungwan was left with no choice and raised her thumbs before she started driving towards the ramen place she knew. The rain is still pouring, and it's an excellent time to eat ramen for dinner. 

Joohyun finds herself sitting beside Seungwan inside a Japanese restaurant. The blonde was happily speaking to the waitress while she said their order. "Next time, eonnie, it'll be my treat, hmm?" the law student eyes her friend before she flashes a teasing smile and playfully hits her arm. 

"Next time? Do you want to eat with me again?" Joohyun saw how Seungwan avoided her gaze, and yes, the blonde's face was red while she was drinking her cup of coke. It made Joohyun think, why is Seungwan turning red? 

"O.. of course eonnie! We are friends, right?" Seungwan was still avoiding her gaze. She was busy playing with the wet wipes on their table this time. The blonde even coughs as she reaches for the glass of water. 

As the dinner ends, Joohyun stands in front of her apartment while Seungwan hands her bag. "Thank you for driving me home tonight." Seungwan was smiling as she nodded her head. Her hand rests inside the pocket of her jeans while staring at Joohyun, who is fidgeting with her keys. "Ahhh, I'll just return your jacket after washing it."  Joohyun doesn't know what to do next, so she turns around and opens the gate of her house. She opens the door and lights before she looks back at Seungwan, who is currently standing. 

"I'll go once you lock your gate and door." Joohyun waves her hand for the last time before she locks the gate and door. She can only stare out the window as she watches how Seungwan hops back into her car. The music therapy student honks before she speeds up, leaving Joohyun staring with a smile. 

And who would even think that one dinner would change everything for them? 

Joohyun was sobbing as she went out of the bathroom. It was one of the worst things that ever happened in her life. The tears continued to fall from her eyes as she gathered her things and headed out of the campus. She feels so vulnerably weak. Joohyun was standing outside the campus waiting for a ride when she felt a tap on her shoulder. The brunette didn't look. Instead, she just looked down. "Joohyun eonnie..." Joohyun heard that voice, and all she could do now was continue crying before hugging the music therapy student. 

Joohyun cried for almost an hour while Seungwan kept holding her, whispering comforting words, and even brushing her hair. After nearly an hour of crying, the tiredness finally hits Joohyun, she feels so exhausted, and all she wants to do right now is to be alone and sleep before she can catch the earliest train to Daegu afterward. "I'm sorry..." she could only apologize when she finally gave Seungwan space. The blonde was shaking her head as she handed Joohyun her handkerchief. 

"Why are you apologizing, eonnie? Are you hungry? Tired? Do you want me to drive you home?" Joohyun didn't have the energy to speak a word, so she flashed a light smile before nodding. Seungwan reached for her bag before she put her jacket on Joohyun's shoulders. "Do you want me to carry you on my back? You feel so tired, eonnie." Seungwan heard a soft chuckle from Joohyun before she shook her head. Seungwan, on the hand, could only look at her friend before they made their way toward the parking lot. 

The ride was silent, and all Seungwan could do was steal glances while Joohyun was quietly staring out the window. It was the first time that the ride was quiet since most of the time, Joohyun would share the cases she studied, and Seungwan would listen to it like she truly understood what the law student was talking about and conveying to her.

"Seungwan..." the blonde's heart broke when she heard Joohyun's voice, it was soft, and her eyes were filled with tears. She doesn't understand what is bothering Joohyun, but at this point, she knows that she needs to be there for her friend. Locking her car's door, Seungwan took a step closer to Joohyun before she engulfed her in a hug. "He is gone... my father is gone." when Seungwan heard that, she remembered that very moment she heard that her father died too almost a decade ago. 

"I'm here, eonnie, and I won't leave you." Seungwan didn't fail to remind Joohyun that she was not alone in this battle. Whenever Joohyun felt like crying, the blonde let her cry and vent out. Seungwan was used to seeing Joohyun smiling and happy, and seeing her at one of her lowest made Seungwan realize how amazing Joohyun was.

The following day, Seungwan prepared some sandwiches for Joohyun, accompanied by a cup of hot chocolate. She slowly opened the door of Joohyun's room and saw her sleeping. There was a sigh of relief heard from Seungwan. She knows how tired Joohyun is from all the crying she did last night, she doesn't want to wake Joohyun up, but they still need to catch the train to Daegu. "Joohyun eonnie, it's time for you to wake up." Joohyun groaned before she rolled to the other side of the bed to hug Seungwan's waist. Seungwan felt a thump in her heart, and it felt like Seungwan's heart had suddenly skipped a beat. 

"What time is it?" Seungwan ruffled the hair of the brunette who was snuggling on her back. Seungwan even patted her head before trying to stand up, but Joohyun pulled her back on the bed, making her sit again.

"Eonnie, it's four in the morning. You can shower, then eat the breakfast I prepared before we catch the train to Daegu." Joohyun looked up at her, and her eyes were very puffy, indicating that she had cried the whole night. Joohyun doesn't know when she finally fell asleep, but she knows she was crying while Seungwan held her throughout the night. 

"You are going with me to Daegu?" Seungwan nods in response as she extends her hand to help Joohyun stand up. The brunette flashed a soft smile before she finally stood up. "But why? You don't even know my dad." Seungwan pouted her lips as she made Joohyun sit on the chair. She placed the cup of hot choco before getting the sandwich she made. 

"I don't know your dad personally, but I'm your friend. Your dad is a great person because you are one of the most amazing people I know." Joohyun doesn't know what to say, but at this point, she feels so thankful that Seungwan is willing to stay with her. "I want to be there for you because I understand the pain of losing someone so dear to you. I hope you can let me be there for you, eonnie." Seungwan placed the sandwich in front of Joohyun before she pulled the chair so she could sit on it. The blonde sips on the cup of her coffee before she removes the strand of hair that fell in front of Joohyun's face. "I prepared a light meal because I figured you might not have the appetite to eat." Joohyun's heart fluttered without warning, and the brunette could only lightly smile as she admired how precious and warm the person in front of her was.

"Seungwan-ah, thank you." Joohyun felt thankful that one soft squeeze on her hand made Joohyun realize how lucky she was to have someone like Seungwan in her life. 

At this point, Joohyun realized that she didn't only find a friend, but instead, she had found someone that she could depend on for a very long time. Seungwan held her throughout the three days of her father's funeral. Seungwan stood beside her, wiped her tears, and ensured she stayed hydrated. Joohyun was very thankful because when she told Seungwan she needed space, the blonde girl stayed away from her but stayed inside the funeral home, helping her family

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter