Fin - Sunshine

Sunshine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They say high school is the most exciting and best part of your life as a student. Joohyun wonders if that is true. As an incoming senior Joohyun wonder why her high school life feels dull and empty. Maybe it is because she prefers to be alone and hates to converse or approach anyone. For Joohyun, being friends with someone is such a big thing. She thinks it's hard to maintain relationships with people because she knows how unstable and hard it is to cope with someone who got this horrible ghosting phase. 

Today is the day, Joohyun hops inside her mom's car, and the long-haired brunette is smiling at her daughter. "It's your first day as a high school senior. Time flies so fast."  Joohyun just gave her mom a tight-lipped smile as she fixed her seatbelt. Tiffany wonders how time flies so fast, she can still remember the first time she dropped sulking and crying Joohyun at her daycare center, but here she is now, driving her to her first day as a senior. 

Joohyun quietly sat beside her mother, it was just the usual day for Joohyun, and she thought it would just go how her past five years as a high school student would be. The car stopped in front of the big gate of her school. "Thank you, mom." Joohyun pecked her mom's cheek before she grabbed her backpack and started removing her seatbelt. Tiffany smiled as she watched how her daughter hopped off and started walking. Joohyun got this habit of never looking back, so Tiffany just watched until her daughter was finally out of sight. 

Her span of studying there for five years, Joohyun is already fond of the place. She knows every secret spot where you can find peace. Joohyun is aware of many other secrets that revolve around the campus. For someone as quiet and reserved as Joohyun, you will never think she knows every buzz and gossip around campus. 

The reason? Joohyun is keen on her surroundings, knows when to listen, and knows how to move despite being an introvert. Despite her very mysterious personality, she's one of the campus crushes. Joohyun got suitors from the higher levels back when she first entered here. 

She hates getting attention. She wants to enjoy a peaceful and quiet environment where she can read and listen to music. Joohyun finally manages to settle down, the classroom is already filled with half of the class, and the long-haired girl decides to sit beside the window. Her usual favorite spot. "This class is so noisy," she whispered before she grabbed her phone and fished her earphone out of her pocket. Joohyun immediately puts the volume up before she stares out the window. The sky is so blue, and the sun is shining so brightly. It's such a good day, and the weather is so lovely. Joohyun thinks of walking later during lunchtime before grabbing her favorite strawberry jam sandwich and banana milk. 

Her attention went towards the front when her teacher entered with another student. The girl looked so small with her short red hair. Her skin is so fair, and she got this soft facial feature. "Settle down, everyone!" Joohyun removes her earphones and places her phone back inside her pocket. The long-haired girl leaned back in her chair as she watched the scene unfold. "We got a new student here. She's a transferee from Canada. What is your name again?" Joohyun was curious when the short girl leaned closer to their teacher to whisper her name. It was Joohyun's first time being curious about someone's name. "Her name is Son Seungwan." The girl named Seungwan bowed and flashed the brightest smile that Joohyun ever saw in her entire lifetime. "Introduce yourself to the class." Joohyun watched Seungwan move to the center of the classroom before she bowed again. She usually never listens to the introduction, but at this moment, Joohyun finds herself curious and anticipates hearing the red-haired girl speak.

"Hello, everyone! My name is Son Seungwan. They call me Wendy most of the time. I'm from Canada, and I transferred here because my mom needs to work on her project here in Seoul. I hope that we can be friends." Joohyun was surprised when their eyes met. The short-haired girl smiled at her before she diverted her attention back to their teacher. It made her flustered to the point that she sat up properly before she avoided Seungwan's gaze.

"You can choose where you want to sit." Seungwan nodded her head like an excited kid before she started walking. It felt like torture for Joohyun to avoid her gaze, but she saw that Seungwan was walking directly in her direction, directly to where she was sitting. 

"Hi! Is this seat taken?" Joohyun gulped the lump in before she shook her head in response to Seungwan's words. The red-haired girl happily giggles before she pulls the chair to sit beside Joohyun. Meanwhile, the long-haired brunette can only freeze in her seat. "What is your name?" Joohyun felt awkward. It was the first time someone initiated a conversation with her because her classmates knew how anti-social she was. 

"Joohyun... Bae Joohyun." Joohyun was surprised to see Seungwan's hand extended. She offered her a handshake, so Joohyun hesitantly accepted it. It was her time to crack a smile when she saw Seungwan's bright smile. 

"Nice to meet you. Are you okay with me sitting beside you?" Joohyun could only nod before taking out her textbook from her backpack. She heard a soft chuckle from the short-haired girl. 

It's the first time that Joohyun feels comfortable having someone besides her, the time is fast, and lunchtime is approaching. Her attention went towards Wendy when they heard her stomach growling. That sound made Joohyun chuckle. "Are you hungry already?" Seungwan could only nod while pouting; the sight was so cute it stunned the brunette. To divert her attention, she immediately grabs the pack of biscuits inside her bag. "H...here, eat this first. This period will end in less than an hour." Seungwan grins before she excitedly opens the pack of biscuits. 

"Is your bag like Doraemon's pocket?" hearing those from Seungwan made her laugh. The brunette hits her arm before she shakes her head. That joke is hilarious for her to hear. "I'm kidding, but thanks for the biscuit." the class went as usual. Seungwan was busily munching the biscuit while listening to the ongoing lecture on mathematics. 

Lunchtime finally came, and Joohyun watched how her classmates immediately ran out of their classroom. She's used to this sight since she usually stays inside the school during this time. "You are not going out?" Seungwan was surprised to hear Joohyun's voice. She shook her head before standing up from the chair to stare at the window. The view of the school's field was seen, making Seungwan look at Joohyun. 

"Can we go out?" Joohyun was hesitant, she usually wanted to spend half an hour of lunchtime inside the classroom, but she was surprised when she stood up from her chair and offered the short-haired woman her soft smile. 

Joohyun is not even aware that it's finally the start of her blooming friendship with the short woman. 

-

No one would ever think that you'll find Joohyun inside the cafeteria while holding a food tray. "Ya! Son Seungwan! I told you to line up for your food!"  Joohyun places the tray down before glaring at her friend, that is immersed in the game.

"Yes, I'm sorry I just need to finish this level." Joohyun rolls her eyes in annoyance before she takes a sip from the strawberry milk that she bought. She even unwrapped the blueberry jam sandwich for Seungwan. The short-haired girl gave her a bright smile, which made Joohyun shake her head before she quietly watched how Seungwan multitasked. 

"You know it's bad to play while you are eating. It's disrespecting the food." Seungwan lightly pouted her lips before she put her phone down. Her eyes were like puppy eyes, and that made Joohyun stunned. Her friend is holding her sandwich with such visions, which makes her heart soften. "I...I'm just saying that is what my mom told me! Stop giving me those puppy eyes!" Joohyun immediately avoids the soft gaze coming from her friend before she frantically sips on her strawberry milk. She isn't sure why her heart is fluttering, and she is feeling her ear getting warm just because of Seungwan pouting and giving her puppy eyes. 

"Are you mad?" Joohyun was surprised. Seungwan never used that tone with her. Her eyes slowly met hers, which was one of the cutest sights that Joohyun ever saw in her entire lifetime. 

"No, I'm not. It's just the break time is short. I want you to eat before you play that game." Seungwan's smile was present, and Joohyun swears that seeing her friend smiling was one of the best moments ever. After two months of hanging out, Joohyun realizes that Seungwan is an open book you can easily read or understand if Seungwan is having a hard time. 

"Aren't you so sweet?" Joohyun just chuckled before she grabbed the sandwich in front of her. She knows that she's far from being so sweet and romantic. She's not sweet and doesn't usually know how to express and show her love for others. Knowing how she's been so introverted, this is the first time that Joohyun had a friend. 

"Sweet my , I'm not even a good friend." Seungwan rolled her eyes in annoyance before she bumped Joohyun's shoulders. The girl was busy munching her strawberry jam sandwich. "What? Am I a good friend to you?" Seungwan doesn't even hesitate for a second. She immediately nods before leaning her head into Joohyun's shoulders. 

It's not the first time Seungwan has done this, but every time she does, it stuns Joohyun. Having a friend with her is so new for her, and at times, when Seungwan shows this kind of side, Joohyun thinks she's a good friend to her tiny hamster and puppy-looking friend. "Of course, you were my first friend since I returned to Korea. You helped me adjust, and you are always there with me." Joohyun is acting like she's not even listening. She diverted her attention toward the other students running right now. "You rarely talk, you are quiet most of the time, but you are always there for me. So to me, Joohyunie! You are a good friend!"  Joohyun wonders if she's a good friend, she can only chuckle and stand up from where she is sitting. 

"Come on. Lunchtime is almost over." Seungwan grabbed her chocolate milk before standing up and walking beside Joohyun.

How did the friendless Joohyun find someone as soft and genuine as Seungwan?

-

Months after months, Joohyun and Seungwan grew closer, to the point that even their mothers developed a bond with each other. It all started when Tiffany spotted her daughter with Seungwan outside the gate of their school. Being the accommodating person, she immediately asked Seungwan to hop in and she'll drive her home. 

Joohyun is not a bad friend for someone introverted, and Seungwan can testify to that. When Seungwan needs Joohyun, she will always be there for her. Not only during the times that she's still adjusting to the new environment, but Joohyun is also always there whenever she needs her. 

"It's funny, you know, we are now sitting under this tree while my head is lying on your lap," Seungwan said while she was staring at the sky. Joohyun was quietly reading her book as she just let the blonde talk. "Have you ever thought of being friends with me?" that question made Joohyun think. She placed her book down to look over at her friend, Seungwan was smiling, and she looked like she was anticipating the answer she'll hear from Joohyun. 

"To be honest, no, I don't even have plans of being friends with anyone." Seungwan lightly pouted her lips, and Joohyun was unaware that her eyes had gone down before she shrugged. "As you can see, I'm so introverted, but I guess you became an exemption." the brunette went back to reading her book, and she missed seeing Seungwan's red cheeks. 

"Well, I guess you can't resist me." Joohyun just shook her head before she ended up laughing. And Joohyun knows that Seungwan is right. She can't resist someone like her. 

Then, it just happened. Joohyun was confused to see Seungwan running towards their home carrying a bag. 

"What are you doing here?" Seungwan grinned before she raised her bag, and Tiffany suddenly tapped her daughter's back. 

"I figured that Seungwan could join us so you can enjoy more." that is how Joohyun finds herself sitting inside the plane while Seungwan's head is resting on her shoulder. The brunette eyes her other family members. They have their nap, so Joohyun quietly stares out the window. She tries her best to avoid other movements to ensure that Seungwan is comfortable. 

Joohyun never thought about going on a trip with her friend, but here she is, riding a jet ski while Seungwan is hugging her. "Joohyun, let's go faster. Come on!" Joohyun hits Seungwan's hand on her stomach before she chuckles, the brunette starts to speed up, and for the time being, she forgets about the growing feeling in her heart. The feeling that she wants to forget. 

Nighttime came, and Joohyun couldn't think of another way to end the night by listening to Wendy singing while playing the guitar. She watched Seungwan smiling and happily singing while they were sitting near the bonfire. "She's talented, eh?" Joohyun nodded before raising her thumbs to her best friend. Seungwan was happily singing, enough for Joohyun to feel the happiness she's been craving.

But she's not only feeling the happiness in her body, but she's also feeling her heart race, it's pounding without her consent, and Joohyun just realized that the moment Seungwan met her eyes, she just felt her heart pound harder. What is this kind of feeling?

As the night deepened, Joohyun was walking back to their room when she saw his male cousin Suho. "Hey! Hyun, may I ask for your friend's number?" Joohyun halted walking, and her grip on the water bottle she was holding became tighter. It feels like her anger raised, and she feels so bothered about it. 

"No... you can't. She's not someone that you can reach out to." Joohyun answered before she breathed out. She looks at her cousin, who is currently staring at her too. The guy is persistent, and she knows he won't give up. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter