The 4 Princes

Haunting Angels

"Wake up! Shin Sung Young, wake up this instant!" I heard a voice call me, and I felt myslef being mercilessly shaken harshly. I then felt my thin blanket fly off, making me shiver more. As if I wasn't cold enough. I felt strong hands pick me off the bed and my eyes opened, greeted by a pair of dark angry eyes, I snapped awake immediately. 

"I'm up!!" I squeaked and felt his hands release me from a burning grip. Hyun Joong then stormed out of my bed chamber, slamming the door behind him. 

What did I ever do to deserve this? Everyday I help the others clean up the castle, I help to serve their meals. But unlike any other servant in this castle I'm the only one the 4 of them bothered picking on. I was their main servant, the one who's supposed to attend to each of these princes individually. Serving the 4 of them was complete hell. 

After what I did, I must've been sent to hell straight away.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5years ago.

"In our world, demons and fairies exist. Humans aren't able to distinguish thmselves from them. Demons and Fairies used to exist in harmony, despite their differences, until one fine day, the demons began an attack, slaying every single on of our kind. Now there's only left with the 4 of us.Well, 1 for now" Victoria said to me as she sat with me by the swings.  "We.. I was fortunate to save you." She told me.

"I just didn't believe Amber would be one of them." I admitted. I was the closest to Amber.

I never imagined she had wanted to use me to get to the others. I'm only human, I couldn't tell the difference either, but Amber had been smart enough to diguise herself or at least seem trust worthy enough to be amongst the last of the fairies. I remembered how much she had changed from someone so warm into someone so full of range and violence, how she had practically destroyed Krystal, Sulli and Luna. How she had led the other demons right into our home, to take me. But the other girls wouldn't let me. 

Of course, she was no match for Victoria. Victoria Unnie had always been the best among the lot. The strongest, the smartest, the closest thing I had to a mother. She was all I have left now.

"Vic Umma" I said as we would all usually would call her, even if she was only a few years my senior. "Will it ever be back to normal? Do you think we will be saved? You're the last of the fairies.." 

"I don't know Sungie" she said as we huddled together for warmth.

We had been on the run for almost 2 years since Amber's betrayal. How I wished the war had never begun. Why was I the only human involved? I never understood. I was afterall, just a girl. I wasn't special like Victoria, or the other 3, or even like Amber herself. I was merely human. Why was Amber ordered to take me? Specifically me?

"Will they come back for me?" I asked. 

"Perhaps they might" Victoria answered, looking around. "Which is why we have to keep making a move." she explained as we got off the swing and began walking again.

"I'm sorry, Vic umma, the past 2 years have been difficult for you" I said, she had been risking her life for me since the betrayal. No. Since the war broke out between the demons and fairies. A good 3 years of her life had been wasted on me. 

"It's not your fault." she replied simply.

"How can it not be? Amber said they wanted me. The others died protecting me" I recalled aloud, guilt swimming in me.

"It's not the right time to talk about that now, Sungie. When the time's right, I promise you'll know" she said. I had no choice but to agree as we kept walking around, soon we had entered a forest.

Out of nowhere we began hearing voices, the ruffle of leaves and he cracking of twigs under the weight of heavy footsteps. They were on to us. I wanted to scream but Victoria had her hand gently clasped on my mouth. She had probably sensed my panic. We crounched down in the nook of the huge tree roots and breathed as quietly as we could.

"We have to be very quiet" she said calmly. I nodded cowardly in response. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I helped the others prepare breakfast I felt myself choke on the tears I was desperately trying to hold back. That very night was the night I lost Vic Umma. She had given herself up for me, in hope they'd spare my life. Which they did. The demons who attacked us didn't want me dead. I couldn't remember much, I was half unconcious already. I had been taken away and the only thing I remembered was Vic Umma's broken body dissolving into mere glitter being carried away by the wind as they carried me away. 

I couldn't remember how I landed up in this castle. Nor did I understand why. It wasn't the Princes who had taken me away or murdered Vic Umma. I was so sure. The 4 princes did have powers, but not that of a demon either. It's been 5 years since I lost Vic Umma in the forest. Since then I've been locked away in this castle. They've never abused me, in fact they have been relatively chivalrous, but they were cold, colder than ice. But sometimes it feels almost as if they're forcingthemselves to. But it isn't a surprise isn't it? Afterall, I am a servant, and probably their favourite in both good and bad ways. They only called me for their specific orders, no one else. To them everyone else had no name or identity. 

The youngest, Key, was only 2 years older than I was. He never looked at me, even when speaking, besides occasional cold glances from the corner of his eye. He was very straight to the point and was always clear cut with his orders. Specific and quick. If he was in a good mood he'd nag if I didn't do something the way he had wanted me to. But if he wasn't he would banish me somewhere else without a word. Key travelled through mirrors. He could see through them too. So I was always wary of the mirror in my bathroom. Of course, I was allowed a curtain over the bathroom mirror. He was also able to control anything that was made of glass or crystal. He had a well controlled temper, he had never broken anything out of anger. Only once, when his anger had been over the top, he had caused a glass vase which was in the hallway outside his room to explode into a mission glass shards. It was the only time I had seen him so angry. Even though I wasn't the one he had been angry with. I was called upon to clean the mess up.

Next came Yong Hwa, among all 4 of them, he had spoken to me the least. In my opinion, the least interested to see me at all. He had never directly called upon me to give orders, only when one of the other princes had called upon me and he had happened to be there, only then would he give me a task to execute. But he did observe me closely. But he was colder than any of them. Yong Hwa could control Fire and Water. He had a tame temper, possibly because he had never bothered himself to fuss over anything. Most of the time he had been plainly observing things. He watches everything, and he knows everything. It was almost like he could read minds. Of course, he obvioulsy can't. But if he watched you long enough, he'd know everything about you. He doesn't need to talk to you. He just needed to watch you. He is, in my opinion, the brightest of them all. 

The next prince was Dong Hae. The kindest of the lot, the one I can actually consider a little warmer than the rest. Even if he is still a cold person. ther'es a silky gentleness in his voice. Being able to control nature, it isn't surprising to know his fondness for animals. A carefree prince, who doesn't ask too much of me, but occasionally asks for my assistance when he's attending to one of his pets. If he sends me a compliment, which is extremely rare, he wouldn't do it looking at me, but in another direction, but it's only in him which I can vaguely see a twinkle in his eye. He does make sure I get rest. A dismissive "you should head to bed" or "You ought to go eat" are sentences he may casually throw in when he sees me. In a way, he's the only one who shows concern for my well being, which I am grateful for, even though he never says these while looking at me. 

Lastly, comes the eldest, the most hot tempered of them all. Hyun Joong. He was the most frightening of course. He had a raging temper that burned stronger than YongHwa's fire. He had the coldest glare anyone could ever imagine, but if I looked long enough, the glare isn't as stabbing as one may think. Hyun Joong could control electicity and create force fields. It was the most remarkable power in my opinion. But he was still the most frightening of them all. He was the one who sends me the most orders and of course, as expected, he doesn't look at me at all until he's fuming mad and is giving me an earful. Despite his horrendous temper, he had never taken a strike at me, even if he wasn't happy with me, his glar just got more murdurous but the stone wall faces his wrath instead of me. Which sometimes confused me. But like I said, the princes were chivalrous to an extent. However, he wasn't too kind with words, he wasn't easily pleased, being a perfectionist. In the beginning I had he hardest time serving his many demands that he threw at me, but as years went by, he had been yelling at me less and less.

It was strange, howthe castle is built. I didn't sleep with the other servants. I had slept on the third floor of the Princes' Tower. In the middle of the princes' rooms. The rooms ran in a circle, like a perimeter, and the small hallway was what seperated my circular bed chamber room all of them. I've presumed it was because it would be easier for them to call on me anytime of the day. 

It was pleasent, but I had no windows since my room was literally in the middle and surrounded by their bedchambers. My door was just opposite Hyun Joong's room, which was relatively terrifying, as it was stressful just to come out of my bedchamber. But all these 5 years, nothing has changed. 

As I reminisced I could feel Yong Hwa watching me prepare their lunch. Hyun Joong must've announced my late waking today out of frustration. I sighed as I left the soup to boil and proceeded to set the table.