Seventeen (17) | PART II

Seventeen (17) | PART II

It wasn't Nayeon's fault to be so dumb (as she would like to call herself that) and try to steal glances to the lone girl at the couch while her chin is perfectly resting on Jeongyeon's shoulder. They sway to the song while the other hums under her breath. 

 

      We'll be dancing the same groove when we're ninety-two,

 

"the same as seventeen," Nayeon hums while she’s looking at those eyes, probably just a few meters away from where she is positioned, the only thing that comes close to her mind is home — was home, actually. 

 

       And I’ll never lie to you, just don’t you hold back on me, 

 

While still answering the beat of the song with lenient movements, as Jeongyeon is not seeing where Nayeon’s eyes are currently pinned, she assumed the girl was intentionally singing the lyrics to her ear and so she tried singing the next line which sounded much like a silent promise. 

"Jeong?"

"Hmm?" The woman then wasted no second and answered immediately. 

"May I just talk to Mina?" she asks, "I-i just thought I-," and proceeds to an explanation. However, the latter broke the line before she could even produce another rap song for being too defensive. 

With her bright teeth showing up, "of course, you may, love." Jeongyeon answered naturally even when she knew what actually happened years ago. She also thinks this may be the best time for them to have their moment before the wedding — it's their song after all. 

And so she presses her lips on Nayeon's forehead and twirls her, squeezing her hand a little tighter for assurance, and accompanied the woman with a light smile as she lets her go to the direction where Nayeon is intended to go. Nayeon smiles back in return before walking to her best friend while Jeongyeon, however, walks on the opposite side to get something to drink. 

One of the things Nayeon is most thankful of is having a very patient and understanding fiancée. 

 

Nayeon's legs felt jelly at the sight of Mina; head almost met the glass table in front of the couch. 

"How's the drink?" She lights up a conversation. 

"I-it's good, tastes actually g-good," the other stuttered. 

Nayeon forces herself to ignore her best friend's state for their sake but couldn't stop herself from worrying and ends up throwing a question that will require Mina's voice to pitch up and scare all her senses away. 

“Just wanted to make sure you’re okay, Mina.” she mumbled.

“And what made you think that I might not be in a good condition, hmm? You probably wouldn’t catch me here if I wasn’t feeling okay, Nayeon. You’re just overreacting.” Mina’s mood went from a stuttering mess straight up to making a blank face while waiting for the waiter to refill her not-so-empty wine glass.  

Even though she’s used to Mina being sarcastic, Nayeon did not expect that kind of answer from her best friend, especially at that very moment. She shrugs internally, finding it hard to ignore the sadness slipping from sleeves, creeping to her chest. So, she moves a step back and thinks it is not the best time for them to talk. 

“O-okay, just let the staff know if you need anything.” Nayeon returned the words politely just so the woman would think that she is just checking up on their guests to make sure that everyone is doing okay. But Mina surely is not buying her escape plan due to the growing awkward feeling after she answered bluntly. So before Nayeon could turn her back against the woman, Mina laughs jokingly, trying to give Nayeon a hint that she shouldn’t have to go and can stay beside her for a while. 

“I was just joking, come here.” Mina nudged her right side of the couch, signaling the other woman where to sit. Nayeon turned her gaze to Mina who is now revealing her signature penguin smile to make the situation easy to lift even though it’s true that she hasn’t been okay since the proposal but perhaps felt the guilt abruptly run through her veins after seeing Nayeon’s despair. 

As Mina requested, Nayeon sits beside her best friend while her mind is loaded with too many thoughts she’s been meaning to tell her but also couldn’t communicate well so she just sits there, almost drying her own mouth by passing all the saliva down to . 

Her eyes darted everywhere else, making sure they didn't land over Mina but fate wasn’t on her side. She was startled a little when her best friend softly laid her head upon her shoulder just like they used to — but now it’s different. 

It was silent, they were silent. They bask on the soft sounds resonating the venue and neither of them had an idea on who would break the silence first. Nayeon was obviously the one who formerly did all the talking for as everyone knows, Mina is not the type of person who would randomly open to flash a conversation even when the situation highly asks for it. She’s more of a gesture kind of person — as Nayeon always spelled out in the past for everyone to know that Mina is not as intimidating as other vampires so they wouldn’t have to be scared, but still does anyway. 

Nevertheless, for the very first time, Mina was the first to break the silence, “so, my best friend is really getting married, huh?”

Nayeon chuckles, of all the things you could’ve said, you really picked that one, “hmm, certainly,” she admitted. “Even I can’t believe I’m already getting married, Minari.” 

Who could’ve thought that the Im Nayeon that has never stayed away from Myoui Mina will marry someone that is not Myoui Mina? 

Nayeon broke out of her trance when she felt her shoulder lighten, thanks to her reflexes, though. She took a hold of Mina’s wrist and nothing went close to her hazy mind but, “do you remember the old days? she asks, taking her shot. 

“Old days, what?” the other replied. 

“The old days,” Nayeon tries again, “the way we danced to this song when we were seventeen, remember?” she sighs. It was heavy until, “those times will always be precious to me, Bubby.” she proceeded. The endearment tugged the string of her heart.