Seventeen (17) | PART 1

Seventeen (17) | PART 1

Tipsy Mina sobs as she drinks her last shot for tonight’s party. Teary soft eyes revealed a reflection of a girl dancing with somebody else, thinking it must’ve been her. Mm, it must’ve been her shoulder on which Nayeon’s chin is resting while swaying with the soft beat of the sound. 

 

So promise you’ll never change, and I’ll always be the same.

We’ll be dancing the same groove when we’re ninety two the same as seventeen.

 

The chorus echoed through Mina’s ears, causing her tears to fall even more. Reminiscing how Nayeon used to hold her hands tight as they followed every beat of their favorite song when they were seventeen. 

How Nayeon gently puts her hand on Mina’s waist and leads her even before the chorus plays; 

How Nayeon rests her chin on her best friend’s shoulder while her arms are around the other girl’s waist and whispers behind the latter’s ears how much she loves her.

Everything was purely mixed signals…

Mina wasn’t sure about her feelings… And why Nayeon is acting that way. But what she’s sure about is, Nayeon is her best friend and that she’ll never be loved by her best friend the way she has always wanted.

Does kissing on each other’s cheeks part of being best friends?

 

***

 

“Do you get deja vu when she’s with you?” Mina thought.

“How’s the drink?”

A familiar voice suddenly spoke right in front of her, waking her up from a very painful scenery of her past. “I-it’s g-good, tastes actually g-good.” Mina softly replied with her stuttering out, wiping her eyes as if they were bitten by some insects over the venue. Trying too hard not to let everyone notice the pain she’s currently going through, well, it’d be too shameful, she thought.

“Are you okay, Mina-ssi? I-I don’t think you’re having fun.” Nayeon jokingly said, producing Mina’s favorite music to her ears—Nayeon’s giggles. 

“No! , why would I even show up if I know it’ll be boring!” A high-pitched tone almost echoed from the whole venue as she defended herself from Nayeon’s words. The other girl could only laugh. “C-can I sit beside you?” Nayeon's voice cracked and sounded kind of a bit unhappy. “I don’t remember owning this couch, Nayeonie,” a cold agreement from a typical sarcastic Mina. 

Nayeon sits beside her best friend and softly lays her head on the latter’s shoulder. 

 

A minute had passed, letting the loud music take over them. Nevertheless, to their surprise, the blaring sound turned into the most silent melody they could ever hear. Both hearts beating fast, hearing no sound, even unnecessary noises. Just pure silence. “So, you’re really getting married, huh?” Mina shoots her shot—unexpectedly. ‘Cause of the alcohol, maybe. “Mm, I can’t believe I’m already getting married, Minari.” Nayeon, wearing a cute light smile, responded with a soft sleepy voice that no one could ever emulate. Mina takes a deep breath, inhaling the heaviness of the ambiance. 

Another minute passed and the song 17 was once again played by the DJ for Dahyun—their colleague and the sweetest inside the gang, requested it. Mina, who’s feeling a little too shrink than usual, and wearing a frightful fat as she listens to the song felt like a fresh wound being rubbed by a ing 70% rubbing alcohol. Thoughts suddenly came to attack her peace which made her eyes sweat by having tears on the lid, attempting to fall anytime soon. Mina was about to stand when Nayeon quickly took a hold of Mina’s wrist, “Do you remember the old days?” It took Mina a minute before she could answer. 

“Old days, what?” 

Mina’s breathing gets even more heavier while she listens to Nayeon’s authentic voice asking painful questions. 

“The old days. The way we danced to this song when we were 17, remember?” she sighs and continued, “Those times will always be precious to me, Bubby.” Nayeon tilts her head and brings her eyes to Mina’s  flawless figure to see the girl’s emotions. It took Mina a couple of minutes to respond until such time she could finally answer, “Those were the best days of my life too, Nayeon,” she hummed and proceeded, “Makes me want to live longer and thank God for giving me the opportunity to exist in this universe with you, Nayeon."

This time, it was Nayeon’s eyes who seemed ready to fill a whole river with her tears. However, knowing Nayeon, she never let anyone see her cry even in her most painful times. 

 

We’ll be dancing the same groove when we’re ninety two the same as seventeen.


The song has finally reached its end and the two best friends are still crying their hearts out without letting each other know the sorrow they have been feeling the whole time since the moment they shared a conversation.  When the music turned into a bar vibes beat, Nayeon grabbed Mina’s hand as she whipped her head towards the woman and said, “I would still love to dance the same groove when we’re ninety two with you, Minari,” a short hum came out from , “the same as seventeen,” she ended.  

 

Mina started shedding tears and gave the girl a tight lipped smile. 

“I hope you find someone who will give you her world and love you just as much, or rather more than I did, my little penguin. And I do also hope that by the time she arrives, you won’t make her feel useless and keep her waiting for nothing. Take care of yourself.” She sighs and takes a few steps away, running towards Jeongyeon—her soon to be wife. 

Mina froze from where she was located, trying her best to silently express the pain in Nayeon's words. The wound couldn’t get any deeper because all this time she was right, however, she never trusted anyone but her ego. 

 Nayeon loved her, genuinely... romantically. But she chose to turn a blind eye to her fallacious beliefs. She lost her best friend; 

her partner in all crimes; 

and most especially;

her love of her life....

 

Perhaps, in another life.