The Perfect Gift

The Perfect Gift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She’s not subtle about it. Not in the slightest.

“Are there any books you’ve been wanting to read?” “Would you ever want a food processor or something? Hypothetically.” “So, these Batman long johns seem pretty great, huh?”

“Bunny. You don’t need to buy me a Christmas present.”

“Yes I do!” she protests. “Why are you so impossible to shop for?”

“Because I have everything I need.”

“I know,” she huffs. “Don’t rub it in. I’m going to have to resort to cutting holes in your socks so I can buy you new ones.”

“If it makes you happy, go for it, sweetheart.”

“I’m going to get you the perfect Christmas gift, Min Yoongi, if it’s the last thing I do. Just wait.”

He makes it hard on her. He gets her wonderful gifts, the kind that she didn’t even know she wanted until she unwraps it and then she doesn’t know how she lived without it. He could start buying her socks, and then maybe she wouldn’t feel so much pressure to get him the perfect gift. But he can’t resist making her happy. He can never resist that.

And he means it, truly, every time he says it:

“I have everything I need.”

On December 3rd, they go to the Christmas tree lighting in the town square. He wears his too-big parka so he can it and she can lean back against his chest and he can zip her up inside, and that’s how they watch the tree light up: two bodies in one coat.

She always makes him take their selfies, because his arms are so much longer, and then teases him for his camera angles. “Do you secretly have a nostril kink, babe? Because I’m pretty sure that shot went right up my nose, and hey, no judgment if that’s what you’re into...”

He wraps her up in a bear hug and lifts her feet off the ground and pretends to gobble her ear, and she squeals and relents. When he s her to let her free he feels cold for a minute, but then she smiles up at him and kisses him in the soft colored lights, and he’s warm.

On December 10th, they go ice skating. The rink is too crowded, and Yoongi is pretty sure they found a “Most obnoxious Christmas songs” Spotify playlist to play over the loudspeakers, and the plastic rental skates couldn’t be considered comfortable by any stretch of the imagination. It’s exactly the combination of things that would’ve sent him into an irreversible foul mood a few years ago. He probably would’ve screamed at the rink manager for a solid quarter of an hour, and destroying ice skates wouldn’t have been out of the question.

That was before Nayeon.

When they take a break she leaves him on a bench with a kiss to his nose and gambols away across the rubber mats to buy them hot chocolate. She lumbers back with two Styrofoam cups topped with off-brand whipped topping and a sprinkle of crushed candy canes. He gulps down the too-sweet concoction because she wants him to, and she giggles at his whipped cream mustache and calls him a good boy and makes him take a selfie of them. She holds her ankle up by her ear “so we know we were ice skating, when we look back at it later.”

“I’m pretty sure I’ll always remember this as the night I had my first whipped cream mustache. I don’t know that your contortion abilities are necessary.”

She slings her legs across his lap, weighed heavy by her skates. “What else will you remember this night for?”

“Hmm. This peppermint flavoring in the hot chocolate is... memorable.”

“Be nice! The boy who made them has a pet iguana named Barry, and he’s starting college next year.”

“The iguana?”

“Yes, Barry, the genius iguana.”

“Well I’ll remember this night for that, then.” He grins. “And for the way we got in the shower together after we got home and, you know, one thing led to another.”

“Oh?” She shimmies wickedly on his lap. “I don’t remember that part.”

She does the next day. That day he grins every time his scalp itches with conditioner residue that didn’t quite get rinsed out all the way.

On December 18th, they go to the botanical gardens to see the Christmas display. She tugs him into the gift shop and tries to get him excited enough about something that she can buy it for him. “Oppa! Look at these adorable poinsettia magnets! Wouldn’t they be nice to stick your notes to the fridge?”<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter