Fin

Love is blind

Shuhua rushed down the street barely paying attention to where she was going when she accidentally barreled into another person going the opposite direction knocking herself and the other woman over. She huffed out of annoyance. She stood quickly ready to be angry when she looked down and saw the cane. "Oh..." She mumbled quietly. "..." She knelt down carefully grabbing the cane and placing the end into the hand of the woman who was feeling around for it. She looked up into the face of the woman seeing two very beautiful honey colored eyes with a light cloudiness to them. "I'm very sorry. I should have heard you coming I was a little distracted." The woman apologized as she felt a firm hand on her own placing the strap to the cane securely around her wrist. "You're too kind." Shuhua puffed her cheeks a bit feeling guilty. "No no. It's my fault if I wasn't in such a hurry this wouldn't have happened." She carefully hoisted the woman to her feet carefully dusting her off. "There almost like it never happened. I'm really sorry miss." Shuhua smiled to herself as she saw no visible injuries upon a quick inspection. "Now if you'll excuse me I have to get to the hospital. My niece is being born right now. What kind of aunt would I be if I were late?" The woman smiled and bowed. "Well then hurry along auntie." Shuhua rushed off excitedly. 

 

An hour or so later the baby was delivered and Yuqi laid in the hospital holding the small infant close to her chest. "So you just left her there? Shuhua what the hell?" Minnie entered the room carrying a huge teddy bear. "What did Shuhua do this time?" She leaned down placing a soft kiss on the younger chinese woman's temple. "Hey baby I'm sorry you had to come back on such short notice." Minnie rolled her eyes. "I am just sad I missed her. I thought we had at least another week." Minnie pouted as she carefully took the baby from her wife sitting on the edge of the bed. "Now back to you what did you do?" Minnie looked at Shuhua expectantly. "I may have ran into a blind woman and knocked her over on the way here. I helped her up and handed her her cane." Minnie shook her head cooing at the baby as she spoke. "Yeh Shuhua you should have helped her wherever she was going." The taiwanese woman crossed her arms pouting. "But I had to be here for Yuqi. What kind of cousin would I be if I wasn't here to bully her and distract her from the pain?" Yuqi rolled her eyes. "Did you at least get her name?" Shuhua looked down shaking her head. "I helped her up said sorry gave her her cane and ran." Minnie shook her head. "Shame on you. If you run into her again you have to apologize again and help her no matter how busy you are." Shuhua conceded. "I will I'm not a monster. I was just in a hurry." 

 

Meanwhile:

 

"She's lucky I wasn't there." A small blonde woman grumbled crossing her arms. "Soyeon-ah calm down I'm fine." The woman spoke in an attempt to soothe her younger sister. "Soyeon's right to be upset Miyeon unnie. She did just kinda leave you there and didn't even make sure you weren't hurt." A long haired woman knelt on the floor in front of Miyeon who was perched on the end of the bed. She took an alcohol wipe cleaning where Miyeon had scraped her leg when she fell. "Soojin-ah what happened you were supposed to take my side. That's what sister in laws are for." Miyeon pouted cutely and jerking her leg a bit as the alcohol burned. Soojin used a firm yet gentle grip to keep the older woman's leg still as she applied ointment to the area. "When it's something small like what type of food is better yes I will agree with you so I can see that cute pout of your sisters. But when it's something that actually matters I choose what's right. And this time that girl was very rude. If I saw her I'd give her a stern talking to." Miyeon sighed dramatically laying back on the bed as Soojin applied the bandaid. 

 

A week passed and Shuhua had only thought of the woman a handful of times. She was on her way to the hospital to pick up her nieces birth certificate as she had promised Yuqi when she saw the woman again. "Oh this is my chance!" She walked quickly towards the woman who looked confused by the rapid footsteps coming her way. "I'm blind please don't rob me!" Miyeon clutched her bag to her chest protectively. "Relax it's me the girl who knocked you down last time Yeh Shuhua. I wanted to.. Well I wanted to properly apologize this time." Miyeon's body relaxed a bit as she realized she wasn't in immediate danger. "Oh hello again I'm Miyeon by the way. How did it go? Is your niece here nice and healthy?" Shuhua was a bit taken aback by the woman's memory but couldn't help the smile that came to her lips. "Yes. Yerin Yontararak. She is the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. Oh whoops sorry..." Miyeon flashed a wide smile. "No don't apologize for being able to see. Please. I've never wanted anyone to feel bad for how I was born. And I especially don't want anyone to limit their own expression because of me. I'd love to hear how beautiful she is." Shuhua smiled wanting to invite the woman to dinner but she suddenly realized she was running late. "I would love to talk about her it's just..." She puffed her cheeks. "Are you busy? Would you mind accompanying me to the hospital first?" Miyeon tilted her head with an amused smile. "First? What's second?" Shuhua blushed a bit. "Then... I take you to dinner as an apology for knocking you over." Miyeon nodded a bit with a soft grin. "That sounds nice. I like that idea but... You have to promise to let me pay for dessert." Shuhua smiled softly. "We'll see. Come on." Miyeon adjusted her bag a bit and held her hand out. "Help please?" Shuhua blushed a bit suddenly realizing the woman would need help. "I'm so sorry I didn't even think about you needing help going anywhere other than what you know already." Miyeon chuckled softly as she felt a hand leading her own to wrap around an arm. "It's okay. It's not every day you make a new blind friend after all it takes some getting used to." 

 

Shuhua led the way to the hospital she left Miyeon sitting in a chair not to far from her while she spoke with the woman at the counter. Miyeon sat patiently waiting until she heard her phone going off. She reached into her bag bringing it out and up to her ear knowing who it was as she recognized the ringtone. "Your favorite unnie speaking. What's up?" Soojin sighed sounding a bit worried. "Where are you are you lost?" Miyeon hummed softly followed by a soft. "Nope. I'm at the hospital." Soojin could be heard frantically moving. "Which hospital? What happened?" Miyeon chuckled softly. "Relax I'm with a friend. She needed to pick something up then we're off to dinner. I was gonna text you as soon as we got somewhere quiet." Soojin sighed softly obviously relieved. "What friend? Sana unnie?" Miyeon clicked her tongue playfully. "She's not my only friend. It's Shuhua you don't know her yet." Soojin hummed softly. "Fine just be safe please you know how we worry about you." Miyeon smiled warmly as Soojin hung up. At first she didn't like their overprotective behavior she thought they thought of her as weak. but she learned eventually that it was just a sign that they loved her and cared about her. "Miyeon unnie. I've got it when you're ready but sit still your shoe is untied." Shuhua knelt in front of her tying her shoe for her before checking the other ultimately deciding to retie it as well. "There all good." She stood and took the older woman's hand helping her up before she began to lead the way. 

 

By the time the two finished their dinner and dessert the two women had learned a lot about each other. "Don't talk nonsense unnie. Of course I'll take you straight home. I can't leave a pretty woman like you walking home at night without help." Miyeon blushed from the complement. "Pretty? Am I pretty? Soojin and Soyeon say I am but they're family." Shuhua stopped and gently turned Miyeon to look at her. "Unnie you're not just pretty you're gorgeous. Beautiful even. It's a shame you can't see you'd probably fall in love with yourself." Miyeon turned her face down shyly. "Can you describe what I look like?" Shuhua smiled as she lifted the woman's chin. "Where do I start? Your lips are well... They look soft not too big but also not thin. Your smile is so beautiful too I don't know that I could do it justice. Your nose is very dainty it has a small slope to it. Your eyes.... They're something else. I've never seen such a pure honey color before. And the way they get really small when you smile is cute to say the least." Shuhua went on and on describing the woman for a few moments making sure to get as many details as possible. "Yeah you're beautiful for sure." Miyeon's face had turned bright red as the moments went by. She never thought this woman would say such sweet things about her. She wanted to speak but didn't know what to say suddenly her phone went off. 

 

"Hello?" Soyeon spoke over the phone "Unnie it's getting late where are you?" Miyeon sighed. "Sorry we were talking. We're on our way back she said she'd bring me home." Soyeon let a relieved breath out. "Okay you two be safe and hurry home we're waiting for you to watch the next episode of our show remember?" Miyeon chuckled softly. "Yes yes okay. Bye I love you" She hung up the phone. "My little sister says to hurry." Shuhua smiled a bit taking the woman's hand again. "We shouldn't keep her waiting. We're not far anyway according to my phone." They began to walk again chatting the whole time. "Oh I forgot a detail." Shuhua said as they were in front of Miyeon's door. "Oh really? It must be important to bring up now." Shuhua laughed softly. "Your ears. They're a little big but not in a bad way. In a cute way. I think it's cute the way they peak out from your hair." Miyeon pouted at the younger woman whining softly. "Yah! Now I'm gonna need to cover them. Why did no one tell me before?" She crossed her arms. Shuhua gently uncrossed her arms and brought one of Miyeon's hands up to her ear and placed the other on the woman's own. "Don't feel shy about it. Or embarrassed. I told you it's cute and endearing. Now I have a very important question." She brought miyeon's hands back down releasing one but unconsciously keeping the other in her grip. "Can I have your number? I had a lot of fun and I would love to continue to be friends." Just then the door to the apartment opened and Soyeon stood in the doorway. "Here's her number." She passed a shocked looking Shuhua a piece of paper with a number scribbled on it. "Yah! Soyeon-ah! Were you listening at the door?" Soyeon scoffed. "No... Soojin and I were listening from the kitchen window." Soojin appeared around the corner pouting. "Jagi how could you rat me out? I thought you loved me?" Soyeon pouted back playfully. "I do love you with all my heart. That's why they must know about your crimes." Shuhua who had still not released Miyeon's hand recognized Soojin immediately. "Wah! Soojin unnie!? It's me Shuhua the weird foreigner from highschool." Soojin's eyes widened as she recognized her. "Damn Shu you got hot!" Shuhua smirked confidently. "Of course I did. How could I not? And you stayed hot. I remember I used to have such a big crush on you back then." She saw Soyeon narrowing her eyes at her and quickly began to add. "I don't now of course. I don't know I think I might be into someone else lately." She turned and looked at Miyeon who was clueless to the woman's intention. Soyeon widened her eyes this girl had a crush on her unnie. "Well that's enough for tonight. Miyeon unnie I gotta talk to you about something important." Miyeon nodded and let go of Shuhua's hand. "Thank you for dinner I had a lot of fun. And whoever that girl is you're into lately I'm sure she'll like you back!" Miyeon went into the apartment. 

 

A few weeks passed of them talking constantly. Miyeon giggled softly as she listened to a voice message the taiwanese woman had sent her. "What's so funny?" Soyeon asked as she looked at her sister who sat beside her on the couch with her legs propped up in her lap. "Shuhua is on her way to pick me up she said she's got a surprise for me but she won't say what and is acting cute as a distraction." Soyeon just watched as her sister looked so happy talking about this woman. "Unnie do you think maybe you've got feelings for Shuhua?" Miyeon tilted her head. "No of course not that would be..." She hadn't thought about it like that yet. When Shuhua was around she couldn't stop smiling. The woman made her blush constantly and her heart seemed to be on hyper drive at all times. And although Miyeon was indeed an affectionate person she took it to a whole new level with the younger woman. "Soyeon-ah don't talk nonsense." Miyeon stiffened a bit her mood shifting as she turned to face forward in her seat. "Unnie there's nothing wrong with catching feelings. Especially when you're as close as the two of you are." Miyeon shook her head firmly. "You're right. That's not the issue. You know that." Soyeon sighed reaching over to take her sisters hand. "If this is about..." Miyeon interrupted her. "It's hard being blind. And it's also hard living with a blind person. You know that better than anyone. The amount... The amount of things you and Soojin have to do for me is too much. I try to stay positive but every day I feel like a burden to the two of you. I don't want to be a burden to her too. She doesn't deserve that." Soyeon scoffed. "Unnie you're not a burden. I've been by your side my whole life and I've never had a problem helping you out. I do it because I love you and I want you to thrive as much as possible despite your disability. And if she has feelings for you as well then why wouldn't she want to do it for you?" Miyeon dropped her head facing her knees as she played with her hands. "Please just drop it So..." Soyeon sighed and scooted so she was basically in the older woman's lap as she pulled her into a tight hug. "Fine but I don't want to hear you say stuff like that again got it?" Miyeon nodded and hugged back. She felt oddly as though a huge weight was lifted off of her shoulders. 

 

There was a knock on the door and Soyeon went to get it. "Hey there Shu. What's that you got?" Shuhua smiled and held up a helmet along with some pads. "I rented a two person bike! Miyeon told me she'd never ridden a bike before and I figured if I ride up front and she's on back she can safely experience it." Soyeon smiled a bit crossing her arms. "So when are you planning to ask her out? After the ride?" Shuhua's face turned bright red "How'd you know?" Soyeon chuckled softly and playfully narrowed her eyes at the younger woman. "That's a romantic date idea. Might have to steal it later even. I think Soojin would like it." Shuhua smiled albeit a bit nervously. "I just... I hope she says yes. I really like her... She's..." Soyeon nodded understanding. "She's special. I know exactly what you mean." Miyeon appeared in the hallway behind them her hand against the wall. "Sorry Soojin hid my shoes again. But I'm ready to go!" Soyeon ruffled the older woman's hair. "It's called putting things where they go unnie. You two have fun. Call me if you need me you know where I'll be." Miyeon snorted softly. "Laying on top of Soojin. Probably making her watch one piece again." Soyeon pinched her lightly. "Rude. You're lucky I love you too." Shuhua laughed as she watched the sisters bicker. "Come on let's go before you get grumpy unnie." She reached out gently tugging Miyeon with her. 

 

Miyeon held onto Shuhua's bicep as always as they walked. "Where are we going can I know what the surprise is yet?" Shuhua smiled softly as she left her to a nearby park. "Well you told me last week that you'd never ridden a bike before right?" Miyeon paused a look of fear on her face. "Shuhua you're not thinking of putting me on a bike are you? I'll get hurt for sure there's no way I-" Shuhua gently placed her finger against the older woman's lips to shush her before speaking up. "I would never put you in danger. I got a two person bike. That way I can drive and you can sit in the back and still pedal. Also I got you a helmet and pads so you'll be extra safe." A huge smile had overtaken the older woman's face. She hopped a bit excitedly before hugging Shuhua tightly. "Thank you you're the best!" She leaned up and kissed her cheek causing the younger woman to blush uncontrollably. "Come on now unnie I'll help you get your stuff on and then we can ride." Miyeon looked beyond excited as she sat letting Shuhua strap the padding on her. "There all ready to go." Shuhua took the older woman's hands. "Do you have padding to?" Miyeon asked running her hand up the girl's arm to feel. "I have a helmet." She brought the woman's hand up to feel she was telling the truth. "I can't have myself getting knocked out and leaving my favorite unnie stranded now can I?" Miyeon pouted hitting her arm lightly. "Don't say that you will jinx things." Shuhua couldn't help but laugh. "Sorry unnie. Come on I know you're excited." 

 

Shuhua helped the woman onto the bike before also getting on it. She placed the woman's hands firmly on the handles. "Okay Unnie no matter what don't let go." Miyeon nodded with a huge grin as Shuhua began to move them forward. At first she went slow having never been on one of these bikes before but as she got the hang of it she began to speed up. Miyeon laughed loudly as she felt the wind blowing her hair. Shuhua was sure she'd never heard anything quite so perfect before. She would buy one thousand of these bikes if only to hear them again. They rode around for a while until Shuhua's legs began to get tired. "Thank you Shu." Shuhua had just helped Miyeon off when she felt the woman's arms wrap around her hugging her from behind. The older woman's head rested against her shoulder blade. "It's no big unnie. I like to help..." She just knew deep down the woman could hear her heart as it felt like it might beat out of her chest. She led her to sit at one of the benches nearby and nervously wiped her hands on her shorts. "Unnie I-" Suddenly before she could begin her confession she was interrupted by a nervous Miyeon. "Shuhua I think I'm in love with you..." Shuhua widened her eyes her mind struggling to process what she'd been told. "Y-You..." Miyeon teared up a bit thinking Shuhua's silence was a bad sign. "Sorry Shu.. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable I just couldn't hold it anymore. I should have kept my mou-" 

 

Shuhua placed her finger over the woman's lips making her stop. "Unnie. I'm not uncomfortable. I'm upset." She crossed her arms pouting even though the girl would never know. Miyeon opened to apologize again when Shuhua spoke up. "I'm upset because I had this all planned out I wanted to sit you down and tell you all the things I admire about you. And then I was gonna start describing you again like I did before. But I was gonna try to make it more romantic like saying your lips look really soft and kissable." Miyeon listened shocked she never thought anyone would actually have feelings for her. "And then I wanted to tell you how every time I see you it makes me smile. And I know you can't see it. I wish I knew a way for me to show you how happy you make me. I know when I see you smile it's like time stops and when I'm the cause..." Miyeon giggled softly and ran her hands up Shuhua's arms to find her face. She gently ran her thumbs along the woman's bottom lip. "Then what were you going to do?" Shuhua placed her hands over Miyeon's own closing her eyes. "I was going to ask if you'd let me be your girlfriend. I really want to be your girlfriend... I don't want to ever go back to a world where I don't get to see you." Miyeon cracked a small smile. "To be fair I never get to see you." She joked making Shuhua roll her eyes though the smile stayed on her lips. 

 

"So Miyeon-ah.. What do you say? Will you be my girlfriend?" Miyeon's smile faltered a bit as her previous fears showed themselves again. "Shu.." She whispered facing down looking ashamed. "I want to I'm just... I don't want you to end up hating me because you have to spend every day helping me with basic things." Shuhua scoffed and pulled her close. "I like helping you. Even with basic things. It makes me feel good to be needed. I like the warm fuzzy feeling I get from taking care of you. It's called being in love, silly. So with that out of the way what do you say?" Miyeon bit her lip gently, worry still evident on her face. Shuhua cupped the older woman's cheek pulling her close to her own body wrapping her other arm around her waist. She kissed her on the forehead urging her gently to rest her head on her chest. Miyeon gently snuggled into the woman's chest her fingers gripping any fabric she could get a hold of as she didn't want to ever leave this spot. "Fine. I'll be your girlfriend just... Promise me if anything happens we can still be friends? I don't even want to imagine going back to a shu-less world." Shuhua could be heard laughing softly. "I promise. You'll never get rid of me. I love you." 

 

Shuhua ran her fingers though the woman's long dark hair with a serene smile. "I love you too. Does this mean I can finally come visit your apartment?" Shuhua scoffed. "Not yet I still have to make absolutely sure there's no way you can get hurt." Miyeon pouted cutely as she gently tugged on the younger woman's shirt. "If I get hurt you can just kiss it better." She smiled innocently at the younger woman who shook her head. "Come on clumsy let's get you home it's getting late." Miyeon whined softly. "Yah! Take me home to your apartment so I can stay the night and snuggle you to sleep." Shuhua just picked the woman up walking the well known route to the woman's apartment. "How bout this? I'll ask Soyeon and Soojin unnies if I can stay with you?" Miyeon smiled and held onto the younger woman tighter. "As long as I get my snuggles." She rested her head on the woman's shoulder unable to stop smiling. 

 

The year since Shuhua and Miyeon had officially started dating had been wonderful. The two were so utterly in love. So it wasn't much of a surprise to anyone when one saturday night just after their anniversary Shuhua could be seen dropping to one knee in front of the older woman. "Shu are you okay? Did you fall?" Miyeon began to reach towards where she heard her fall in an attempt to help her when her hand met a soft velvety object. "I did fall but not like you thought Yeon-ah." Miyeon scoffed lightly. "What's this?" She ran her fingers along the edges feeling it. As she made it to the inside of the object she felt smooth slightly cold metal and a decent sized stone set in the center. "Shuhua..." She whispered surprised. "Cho Miyeon. It's been one year two months and four days since I ran into you. One year one month and twenty nine days since we began to hang out. And one year and four days since I asked you to be my girlfriend. I'm hoping to make today our next milestone. So..." As Shuhua cleared to make sure it was perfect Miyeon interrupted. "Yes!" Shuhua whined softly. "Yeon-ah you're supposed to let me finish." A chuckle could be heard as their friends and family were surrounding them. "Sorry sorry continue." She bit her lip squirming a bit with excitement. "Anyway. Miyeon. My love my darling my home my best friend..." A small grunt of complaint was heard a few feet away as Yuqi wanted to protest that she was her best friend. "Will you promise to stay with me forever no matter how annoying I am? And marry me?" Miyeon laughed softly wiping her eyes as tears ran down her cheeks. "Well duh of course I will." Shuhua stood up pulling Miyeon closer by her waist as she kissed the woman. As they pulled away ever so slightly Shuhua whispered. "I love you so much. And I meant all of it... You're my everything." Miyeon gently nudged her. "How bad am I blushing?" Shuhua just laughed. "You're as red as a rose. They're pretty red for the record." Shuhua chuckled as she leaned in whispering. "I can't wait to do everything with you."