Rooftop | Jinjoo

Rooftop | Jinjoo

It was Yujin's first day as freshman in High School. She insisted for, or more like pestered, her parents to send her to the school where her Minjoo-unnie is studying. The two girls have been close since they were little kids, after all, their apartments are just beside each other.

 

Since it's just the first day, they were sent home early. Yujin grabbed her bag, sent good byes to some friends she made that day and to her homeroom teacher.

 

When she was walking out of the room, she was surprised to see Minjoo waiting for her.

 

The girl is leaning on the wall. She looks like a lost, sad puppy, just standing there while looking at her feet.

 

"Unnie!", Yujin calls out with a bright smile.

 

Having heard the voice a million times, Minjoo immediately looked up to see the girl.

 

Her sad expression quickly changes to a happy one upon seeing the girl.

 

"Yujinie!", Minjoo called back. She hurriedly run towards the girl. Yujin wrapped her arms around the older girl's shoulder while smiling widely at her.

 

"You took so long. I've been waiting for you.", Minjoo complained with a pout making Yujin laugh a little.

 

"I'm sorry, unnie. Is that why you look sad a while ago?", Yujin questioned.

 

Minjoo looked away and pursed her lips. "Well... that's one reason.", Minjoo said making Yujin curious.

 

She doesn't want to give more information but when she heard nothing from Yujin, she looked back at her just to see that the younger is staring back and waiting for her to continue. Defeated, she sighed deeply and continued. "Well... Hyunjin and I are having some problems.", She confessed. Upon hearing the name of the boy, Yujin's mood turned gloomy.

 

Hyunjin is Minjoo's boyfriend. They were together since the end of the last academic year. The boy kept hanging out with them during the summer, and it made Yujin upset because he kept taking Minjoo's attention away from her. Every summer, it was always just her and Minjoo, but then suddenly this boy came in and ruined everything.

 

"Ohhhh you wanna talk about it?", Yujin asked. Even though she doesn't like their relationship, of course Minjoo is still her friend and she wanted to always be there for her.

 

"Naaah.. It's fine.", Minjoo dismissed, smiling softly to reassure Yujin.

 

"You sure?", Yujin asked, still worried.

 

"Yep! Let's go! The sun is setting and we have to go to the rooftop to see the stars!", Minjoo excitedly said. She run while holding Yujin's hand, making the girl run with her.

 

"You kept asking me to see the stars everyday for 13 years! Aren't you getting tired of the stars?", Yujin asked while running, taking pauses in between phrases to catch her breath.

 

"No! And never!", Minjoo said enthusiastically and glancing back at Yujin for a second with her biggest smile, which made Yujin smile as well.

 

Once they arrived on the rooftop of their apartment complex, the sun compelely set. They picked up the blanket and pillow they hid in a wooden box at the corner of the rooftop. Their parents put it there when they were little, since the two just lay on the dirty floor and it made them worry.

 

The girls set down the blanket, laid on top of it, and shared the pillow. They are already too big to share one pillow but they never thought on bringing another one 'cause they love sharing it together.

 

"Look! The stars are so pretty!", Minjoo exclaimed while pointing at the sky.

 

Yujin squinted trying to find a single star. "There's nothing, unnie! Where are you looking?", Yujin asked because no matter how hard she looks, she couldn't see a single twinkle in the sky.

 

"There! There are so many of them!", Minjoo argued, pointing at the stars.

 

"I don't see anything!", Yujin insisted.

 

"You blind kid! Are you wearing your contacts?", Minjoo asked holding Yujin's face so she can see her eyes clearly.

 

The younger got flustered, her face turning red,  seeing Minjoo's face so close. She blinked rapidly to snap back to reality. Yujin pushed Minjoo's face and said, "Eyyyy I'm wearing them of course.", Yujin said. Minjoo make a face at her, mocking the younger.

 

"You're getting even more blind then.", Minjoo said sticking her tongue out at the girl.

 

The older laid back and looked at the stars again.

"Look at that! That one is shining so bright!", Minjoo said pointing at a star. Yujin tried to look at it but she couldn't see it. Yujin looked back at the girl. She saw Minjoo smiling widely as she watches the stars blinking infront of her. Even though she sees them everyday, they never fail to make her feel amazed. While for Yujin, even though she sees it often, Minjoo's smile never fails to make her feel... warm... but at the same time it makes everything inside her chaotic, her heart is beating loud, butterflies are flying inside her stomach, but still... everything feels good. She likes the feeling.... the feeling of falling even more in love with the girl. 'I guess the stars only shines for you. But, it's okay, you're the brightest in the universe. So please, keep shining for me.', Yujin thought as she kept her eyes on the girl.

 

Yujin sat up and looked for her bag.

 

"You're leaving?", Minjoo asked in a sad tone. The younger looked back at her. Yujin saw how the moonlight shines in Minjoo's eyes and she really finds it beautiful.

 

"No, silly. Even though I can't see those stars, I will not leave you here alone.", Yujin said which made Minjoo attack her with a side hug.

 

"You really love me don't you?", Minjoo asked cutely while looking at Yujin.

 

The younger looked back at her. "I do. I love you.", Yujin said in a serious tone. Minjoo didn't think too much out of it, but it certainly made the atmosphere kinda heavy and awkward so she broke out of the hug.

 

Yujin, a little sad, but kind of relieved that Minjoo didn't took her confession as something romantic, just continued looking for her bag and rummaging through it. She pulled out a small notebook and a pen, then started writing something on it.

 

"What's that?", Minjoo asked curiously.

 

"Just... some lyrics.", Yujin said and kept writing on her notebook.

 

"Ooohhhh who's that for?", Minjoo asked.

 

"For you.", Yujin confessed, as if it was nothing, which caught Minjoo off-guard.

 

"O-ohh can I read it?", Minjoo asked again.

 

"Someday I'll let you read it.", Yujin said closing the notebook and putting it back in her bag.

 

"Why not now?", Minjoo pouted.

 

'Because the song contains how I truly feel about you and it's not the right time for you to know it.', This is what Yujin wanted to say but just kept it all to herself.

 

"Patience, unnie. Patience.", Yujin said while pinching Minjoo's cheeks.

 

Minjoo held Yujin's hands to make her stop. "Then sing it for me once you're done writing it.", Minjoo ordered.

 

"I will.", Yujin nodded in agreement.

 

"Here on the rooftop. Under the stars.", Minjoo ordered again.

 

"While the moonlight shine upon us *laughs* Isn't that too romantic? What are we? A couple?", Yujin tried to joke. But deep inside that's what she really wanted them to be... Sadly, it sounds impossible.

 

'A couple? I hope so.'

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minjoo thought.

 

 

 

Minjoo has feelings for Yujin for a long time. But unlike Yujin who's willing to accept those feelings..... the feelings scared Minjoo. She wanted to act on it, but she's scared that the other doesn't feel the same way, or even if she do, the relationship might not work out and will end up with her losing the person she cherishes the most. Not being with Yujin is something she thinks she can't live with.

 

With those thoughts in mind, she agreed to be Hyunjin's girlfriend to push away her feelings for Yujin.

 

But as time passed, Hyunjin kept having this feeling that Minjoo isn't sincere with her feelings for him. This morning, Hyunjin confronted her about it and that's what Minjoo meant when she told Yujin that her and Hyunjin are having problems.

 

Minjoo couldn't be sincere about her feelings for him, even if she tried, because her heart only belongs to the girl she always shares the night with.... on the rooftop..... under the stars....

 

 

 

Ahn Yujin.