Midnight Rain

Too Much

“Taeng, you’ll be late!” Hyoyeon scold as she saw her girlfriend still curled up in bed after waking her up for the nth time. Taeyeon answered with a murmur. Hyoyeon stared at the angelic face before her, as if memorizing every detail.

Taeyeon is about to record the first few tracks for her 2nd album today, but it looks like she’s not planning on getting up anytime soon. She opened her eyes to see her girlfriend looking at her. She immediately wrestled Hyo to join her in bed, cuddling with the latter. To be honest, Taeyeon is just nervous. She is familiar with the process of recording, given that this is her second album already but that is not an excuse for her to not be nervous.

“Babe, I know you’re nervous,” Hyo whispered as she ran her fingers at her girlfriend’s hair, but you’re gonna do well!!” Hyoyeon kissed her girlfriend’s temple, “I’m here for you. Always.”

Taeyeon didn’t say anything, but cuddled with her girlfriend even more. Hyoyeon’s words are always her calm. And this, this right here, is her peace.

Taeyeon recorded two of her songs today before production called it a wrap. She checked her phone to see her girlfriend’s messages asking her where she is, if she had eaten, what time she’ll be home, and etc. She made a mental note to reply to her texts after she finish packing her things up. She exited the studio and made her way to her car as her manager discusses her future schedule.

Hyoyeon is probably at her DJ gig right now so she’ll be calling her later after her gig. She arrived home and made her way directly to her bed. She laid down, not even bothering to change her clothes. She rested her eyes for a while.

Hyoyeon’s set just finished. She made her way to the bar’s waiting area and pulled out her phone. Taeyeon has not responded to a single text she sent however she did not make a big deal out of it since she knows how tiring it is to be inside the recording studio. She packed her things, and decided drive herself home. She picked up Taeyeon’s favorite jelly because she knows how jellies can calm her girlfriend. She drove home in silence, probably due to her tiredness, and pulled up in her parking space in Taeyeon’s place. She entered the house quietly, afraid that she’ll be waking up a sleeping Taeyeon on the couch (which happened way too often). She placed her things at the countertop and made her towards her girlfriend’s bedroom. The bedroom door was slightly open so as she walks towards the room she can already see  Taeyeon sleeping, still not able to change out of her clothes from earlier. She knows that Taeyeon is tired so she let her sleep. She tidied up the room, fixed Taeyeon’s things, and prepared for bed. She carefully slid next to Taeyeon but Taeyeon felt her presence so she curled up closer and cuddled her girlfriend. Hyoyeon cannot help but smile at the softness of this moment. She wouldn’t trade this for anything.

 

PRESENT

Taeyeon has just released her third album. Today is her third day of promotions, and she’s about to do an interview with an influencer who has been such a fan since her debut. Taeyeon couldn’t help but feel grateful.

The cameras started rolling, and the interviewer has stated her opening remarks.

“So Taeyeon-ssi, I heard the songs in this album are very much heartbreaking. What is your favorite track?”

“Ohh, I love all of them as if they are my children, but I have to say Midnight Rain.” Taeyeon took a deep breath before continuing, “It’s a huge salute to folklore by Taylor Swift, but this I wanted to express that emotion.”

The interviewer nodded and started to look at his flashcards, “She was sunshine, I was midnight rain.” The interviewer made a hurt expression that made Taeyeon giggle, “She wanted it comfortable I wanted that pain, She wanted a bride I was making my own name.” The crowd were in chorus of ‘Ooooooohhhh’ that made Taeyeon laugh.

“Chasing that fame, she stayed the same,” Taeyeon finished. “Its about sacrifices that you made, the choices that you made, in order to achieve a certain goal. For the goal in the song, she wanted that fame. But choosing that fame, she has to lose that one person.”

“That’s deep,” the interviewer sympathized, “Would you ever do that?”

Taeyeon was caught offguard when she heard the question, “I’m sorry?”

“Would you ever… choose to let go of love for a successful career?”

Taeyeon gave the interviewer a warm smile. She looked down, thinking, and looked back up again and chuckled, “I think it is hypocritical of us to say ‘NO’. At least, once in our lives, we would be subjected to a situation that forces us to choose our career over love.”

The interviewer nodded, “Even if its true love?”

“Even if its truer than true love,” Taeyeon answered. The interviewer was in awe. The crowd was cheering was her, and her response has been viral in the internet. Some people agreed, some people didn’t.

And she knows, one specific person didn’t. If this even reaches her.

The bar is packed today. Hyoyeon has been living her party life when this many people comes in. She now owns this bar, and she still plays her sets every Wednesday and Friday. And today is a Friday, so that would explain the numerous people. She grabbed the mic, to greet the crowd.

“Do you have any request for tonight?” Hyoyeon asked the crowd.

A group of girls were screaming and screaming a certain song that she cannot hear. So she asked the person next to her to get the girls’ request.

“Hi DJ Hyo, I’m Minjeong. Can you play Midnight Rain?” the young girl requested, “our friend Yeri can relate to the song, so we want to . I know its not a club song but hheheh”

Hyo nodded and started to look for the track on her laptop that was connected to her set.

Midnight Rain by Taeyeon

 

The song is not familiar to her, so it’s probably new, she thought. She gulped, and looked at the girl. She didn’t want to disappoint the group, so she asked the girl if that is the track she’s looking for. So she played the song. The crowd cheered. She was awe with the impact of the song. Yuri, her bartender friend, was listening and understood right away the song within a few seconds.

Yuri was still in contact with Taeyeon but not that much. Taeyeon sometimes asks about things in Yuri’s life but Yuri knows that the former just wanted to ask about Hyoyeon. But she never gave anything. This is Yuri’s way of protecting Hyoyeon. She is also aware of that she recently released an album. Her first album after the break up.

Hyoyeon passed the set to the next DJ, and she made her way to Yuri as the song plays in the background.

“She would never give me peace, wouldn’t she?” Yuri looked at her friend with sadness in her eyes. Taeyeon was her peace, and Yuri knows this.

“You know, this is the danger of knowing the person too much,” Hyoyeon sighed, “For other people, what she did may be, I don’t know, kind of , but to me, it did hurt. But I understand.”

Hyo downed her drink, and looked at Yuri, “She broke my heart, but I understand.”

She sighed and stared at the glass in front of her.

“And it ing .”

-------------------------------------------------THE END----------------------------------------------------