one shot

The Modern day Romeo and Juliet

 

“There was a fire in their eyes when they first met. It was something that no one could deny, the chemistry between the two. As if they were magnets, two parts of the same whole, when one moved the other would move to compensate. When one hurt so did the other. When one cried, so did the other. They walked in time, talked in time, their hearts beat at the same pace, sped up at the same time.

People who saw them together were envious of what they had before they themselves even knew they had it. Their friendship had always been the most important thing to the both of them. Even when Kevin realized his feelings for Kiseop, he said nothing to preserve the friendship. Even when Kiseop finally began to understand why Kevin made his heart skip beats the way only he could, he refused to tell a soul in case it would change their friendship.

Being around the two after the first few months they knew each other was nearly impossible without wanting to scream at them that they just needed to get together already. It was obvious to everyone but themselves. They did everything that couples did aside from the...ual. They held hands, kept inside jokes and secrets between only themselves.

Kevin told Kiseop everything, even before he realized his feelings. Everything that was secret and sacred to Kevin, Kiseop knew it. It was the other way around as well. Kiseop never failed to tell Kevin everything. The only thing they kept secret from each other for so long was their feelings for each other.

It was hell on Kevin that first time Kiseop came back to the dorm and said that he was dating someone. No one would have ever thought that it would be a girl. She was pretty, there was no denying it. Kevin wanted to hate her. He talked about it all the time, about how he was afraid that if Kiseop knew just how much he disliked the girl that he would be mad at him. It was because she was so kind. Her sweetness could have rivaled Mother Theresa herself and there was simply nothing about her that Kevin could hate aside from the fact that she had the boy that he wanted.

They were only together for two months before she left him. She never gave him an explanation, but it was because she felt that she could never be to Kiseop what Kevin was to him. No one could ever be to Kiseop what Kevin was. He frequently used to say it.

“Kevin, he's my oxygen.” Kiseop would smile when he said it, a blush painting his cheeks. “I'd die without him. He's not just my world, he's the entire universe to me.”

Kiseop loved the starts, atronomy, astrology. He believed that there was one person out there that was meant just for him and he believed without a doubt in his heart that Kevin was that person. Kevin believed it too, but he never told Kiseop that. He liked to play with the boy in ways like that, always making fun of Kiseop's views on things like life and love.

No one was surprised the day they walked in holding hands, proudly announcing that they were a couple. It was expected and took a few years longer than anyone had hoped it would.

The boys were just as amazing as a couple as they were as just friends. If anything, they were better. It was cute for everyone around them to watch their shy, awkward behavior begin all over again. This time with the subtle glances and the whispered 'I love you's' and even the quick little kisses they both thought that no one else saw.

Their first date, Kiseop took them to the park with a telescope. They spent all night laying on a blanket and cuddling and talking, sharing little kisses here and there, until the early morning, just before the sun rose. They watched a comet pass by that morning that scientists said will probably never pass by earth again. Kevin complained about doing something so boring and being cold, but secretly he loved it.

He loved every moment he spent with Kiseop, and they spent a lot of time together. It was impossible to find one without the other. They were joined at the hip even as much as to share a bed most nights, though nothing every happened between them.

They were together a year before they made love for the first time. Both of them were nervous beyond belief. Kevin was afraid that he wouldn't be good enough for Kiseop, knowing that Kiseop had already been with someone before and that he was still an awkward . Kiseop was just worried about hurting Kevin and scaring him away.

It wasn't as scary as they thought. It was actually beautiful, even if it was taboo for two boys to be that way together. Kiseop had his friends set everything up. Kevin's favorite flowers lining a path straight into their bedroom, satin sheets on the bed with candles everywhere, soft music playing in the background. It was the perfect setting and the perfect couple.

They hated having to hide it, their love for each other. It was painfully obvious that it existed and they still had to deny it in public for fear of what the community would do to them. That was what caused them to start fighting in the first place.

Kevin wanted to tell the world, regardless of what they would do. He never fully understood the impact of what such a confession would do to them. He thought that their love could stand through anything, even if the world was against them. All he needed was Kiseop.

Kiseop agreed, their love could get them through anything. It's just that it wasn't his relationship that he was worried about suffering. It was Kevin. He understood what the consequences of telling the world about them would be. Not just people turning against them, shunning them. People got run out of towns for being like those boys were. They got beaten and mugged, many weren't able to even get a job, ending up homeless on the streets, not even able to get a few coins for a decent meal.

Kiseop wouldn't be able to live with himself if he caused something like that to happen to Kevin. The boys loved each other too much.

That's the reason Kiseop gave when he left Kevin. He loved him too much to allow the boy to give up his life just to be together. He wanted Kevin to live a life like he wanted, the life Kevin always talked about. He wanted Kevin to have a beautiful partner, a wife. He wanted him to have that quaint little house with the white picket fence and the two little kids and the blue minivan, just like Kevin always talked about having.

It destroyed the both of them when the world tore them apart. If only things had been different, if the world would have only been more tolerant of love, in any form.

If the world could have loved the way Kiseop and Kevin loved, then the two people in the world most perfect for each other might have had a chance.

When Kiseop got the news that Kevin had killed himself, he cried for six hours without stopping. It was said that Kevin's body was found in the park, holding tightly onto a small telescope and a picture of Kiseop. His cause of death was marked as poison.

It didn't take Kiseop long to make his decision. No one tried to stop him. No one could bring themselves to keep Kiseop from the one he loved so much, even if that meant death.

He went the same way that Kevin went, in the park, holding onto a picture of Kevin for his life. Not even the police or the private investigators could figure out where they got the poison. They called it a case of Romeo and Juilet, even thought I never saw the similarities. Except that in the end two of my closest friends ended up dead because the world told them that they couldn't be together.

I can only pray that in the future the world can learn to love like Kevin and Kiseop.” Hoon finished his speech and wiped a tear from his eyes.

He turned and pressed his fingers to his lips before holding them towards the two caskets standing beside him.

The bodies of Kiseop and Kevin were buried side by side in the graveyard, as a married couple would be buried. They even shared the same headstone. Their deaths rose up a rebellion not just throughout Korea, but the entire world, changing hearts.

In the end, Hoon's one wish came true. The world learned to love like Kiseop and Kevin.

They just learned too late to save the modern day Romeo and Juliet.