A Breath Held in Suspense Will Always Lead To An Exhale of Relief

A Breath Held in Suspense Will Always Lead To An Exhale of Relief

Wei Ying is happy. Simply said. The universe, for once, is letting Wei Ying be happy. Lan Zhan couldn’t help but smile softly as he watched the feared Yiling Patriarch practically skip around burial mounds with a beaming smile. Lan Zhan wants to see this version of Wei Ying as often as possible, and based on the faces of Wens, so do they.

 

This happiness started a few weeks ago. Wei Ying was bent over some sort of new talisman. He’d been holed up in the Demon Subdue Cave working until ungodly hours. Lan Zhan had to forcefully pull him away just to get him to sleep. One day Wen Qing came to the cave and placed a letter in front of Wei Ying.

 

It's for you, read it." Her voice hinted at something Wei Ying couldn't pinpoint. He picked up the letter and looked at it. It was a letter from one of the major sects, with its pristine paper and delicate decor on its borders. Wei Ying flipped it in his hands and saw the Lanling Jin Sect emblem sticking out like a sore finger. 

 

“No thanks.” Wei Ying handed her the letter and continued to work. 

 

“Wei Wuxian, it may be good news, don’t disregard it simply because it's from the Jin Sect.” She replied, pushing the letter back to him. Wei Ying looked at Wen Qing and then at the letter.

 

"Do you realize that this is a trap?” He turned to his work and continued tinkering with the talisman.

 

“You don’t know that, what if it's your sister? Remember she married a Jin. Read the letter.” She urged.

 

“Qing-jie-”

 

“Wei Wuxian, if you don’t open and read this letter I am about to give you one hell of an acupuncture. Read the damn letter!” Wei Ying never heard Wen Qing raise her voice like that. She was always strict and voiced her opinions, but she never raised her voice. 

 

Admitting defeat, Wei Ying took the letter and opened it; 

 

A-Xian,

I hope this letter finds you safe and healthy. A-Ling has been growing every day. He's been following me and his father everywhere, claiming he wants to help with some work. It puts a smile on everyone's face.

The reason for this letter is, well, it has nothing to do with A-Ling. To be truthful, I miss you and I want to see you. I know that Zewu-Jun is supposed to be visiting Hanguang-Jun soon, so I’ve convinced him to take me with. A-Cheng said he would be coming to, he said so he could offer more protection, but I think he misses you too. So the three of us are coming to see you and Hanguang-Jun. From your last letter, it sounds like we have a nephew. I can’t wait to meet him.

According to Zewu-Jun, we will be staying at a local inn in Yilling in a few weeks. I hope to see you soon.

Sincerely, 

 Jiang Yanli

 

Wei Ying reads the letter over, over, and over again. His smile grows wider and wider, crinkling the corners of his eyes. He reads it more than ten times when Lan Zhan walks into the cave holding Yuan’s hand hoping to cool off from the heat. Upon seeing Wei Yings face, he wonders what could’ve been written in the letter that got such a reaction from him.

 

“Wei Ying, what is it?” Lan Zhan asks as he comes closer. Wei Ying looks at his husband and hands him the letter. His eyes are glistening with excitement. He is happy. Lan Zhan reads the letter. Wei Ying can see his husband’s face change slightly. 

 

Lan Zhan came to stay with Wei Ying of his own free will. While Wei Ying appreciates everything that his husband does for him, the man is stubborn and won’t say what he wants. Something that apparently Wei Ying does as well, according to Wen Qing. Wei Ying knows that Lan Zhan misses his brother and uncle. This letter from his sister isn’t just for him, it’s for Lan Zhan too.

 

“Lan Zhan.” Wei Ying says in a soft, loving voice. It took a little bit to sink in, but once the information finally sank in, they smiled happily at each other.

 

They gather the Wens later that afternoon to discuss the arrival of their guests and where they should stay. While the Burial Mounds looks much more put together than it once did, it still wasn’t Lotus Pier, Cloud Recesses or Lanling. 

 

They decide to put their guests in one of the most spacious houses they have. It’s the largest they’ve built into the mountainside with large closed off rooms that could be considered houses themselves. These rooms would have privacy and all of the necessities that they would need.

 

The day of their guest’s arrival sneaks up on them, but no one seems to care. They are able to prepare as well as they can, now all that’s left is to pick up the guests.

 

Wei Ying stands in front of Lan Zhan and Wen Ning at the entrance just beyond the protective array. He fixes Lan Zhan’s robes and dusts him off. Even though Lan Zhan doesn’t wear his normal white or pale blue robes as often, Wei Ying keeps them in pristine condition. Lan Zhan lets out a soft chuckle, as he stops Wei Ying’s hands with his own.

 

"Wei Ying, relax. Everything will be fine." He says confidently. Wei Ying nods and smiles.

 

“Are you sure you two want to go get them?” Wei Ying asks, looking from Lan Zhan to Wen Ning.

 

“Mn.” Lan Zhan nods.

 

“Wei-gongzi, it’s no trouble. It’s only right to them here properly after all the preparations.” The Ghost General says with a smile.

 

“Alright, be careful.” We Ying nodded at them.

 

Lan Zhan laces their fingers together, “Be careful too.” He says and leans in to kiss Wei Ying gently, making him blush. Wen Ning turns around to give the two husbands a moment.

 

“L-Lan Zhan, y-you c-can’t just-”

 

“Wei Ying, you’ve been happy these past few days, it makes me happy to see you happy.” Lan Zhan says with a soft smile. Wei Ying’s fluster turns into stunned silence.

 

Before he can say anything, Yuan runs over to them, hurrying to not miss his parents and uncle.

 

“A-Die! Uncle Ning! Wait! Can I come too?” The boy asks, latching onto Lan Zhan’s leg and gazing up at him with an excited smile. Lan Zhan gently pats his son's head as he looks at the boy. 

 

“Wei Ying may need your help. Stay here.” Yuan pouts, but nods. Wei Ying can never understand how Lan Zhan does it. Wei Ying would’ve caved and taken him with. The boy stands by Wei Ying as they watch Lan Zhan and Wen Ning leave and disappear off the path. 

 

Wei Ying watched Yuan play with his toys outside when he felt a burning sensation from his pocket of his robe. He pulls out the talisman and sees it burn away. 

 

No. Not today.

 

Without any hesitation, in his authoritative leader voice, Wei Ying announces, “Someone broke through the ward. Everyone calmly makes your way to the safe house.” The Wens, with Wen Qing leading them, get inside the safe house, closing the door and locking it. Leaving Wei Ying alone with Yuan. The little boy runs into the cave, as far back as it reaches, to look for his special spot. 

 

Wei Ying discovered the special spot by accident. The cave was drafty one winter, the candles and warming talismans weren’t helping. Trying to find the cause of the draft, he looked around the cave. He found that at the back of the cave a short way away from the Blood Pool there was an opening that led out of the cave and out beyond the protective ward and out into town. Wei Ying showed the opening to Lan Zhan and the two agreed not to close it. It was out of the way, not easily seen, and Yuan could fit through it to hide or call for help in case anything happened. They showed it to Yuan and told him what to do if there was ever an emergency.

 

Yuan squeezes himself into the opening and crawls through the passageway and out to the pathway to town. The boy runs as quickly as his small feet can take him to find his uncle and his A-Die. 

 

—-

Yiling is bustling with people as usual. Lan Zhan and Wen Ning found the inn with not much trouble and their guests were waiting outside for them.

 

“Brother, Sect Leader Jiang, Lady Jiang.” Lan Zhan greets them with a polite bow. Wen Ning follows Lan Zhan and bows. 

 

“Wangji, Wen-gongzi, thank you for meeting us.” Lan Xichen says with a soft smile.

 

The group begin to make their way through town back to the Burial Mounds. They talk about different things, recruiting disciples and new happenings in the sects. 

 

“Lan-gongzi, how has A-Xian been?” Yanli asks, looking at her brother-in-law with a soft smile.

 

“He’s been happy especially after your letter.” Lan Zhan says fondly, remembering the smile that Wei Ying had on his face before he left.

 

Wen Ning is about to add to the conversation when he hears a small voice making him stop. Lan Zhan looks at Wen Ning curiously until he hears the voice too. 

 

“That sounds like A-Yuan, but he was supposed to stay home.” Wen Ning says looking at Lan Zhan. Sure enough, Yuan runs out into view and straight towards Lan Zhan who catches him and lifts him into his arms.

 

“A-Yuan, I told you to stay home. Did something happen?” Lan Zhan asks the boy who is clutching onto him.

 

"Baba told everyone to go to the safe house.” The boy says wetly. Lan Zhan gasps and looks at Wen Ning. 

 

“Gongzi, I’ll check and take a look, I will send a flare if you are needed quickly.” Wen Ning says before taking off. 

 

Lan Zhan looked at his son and then at his brother, “We’ll continue to make our way, maybe you will be safe at the inn.” 

 

“No way, what if you need help. Surely you can’t fight while holding a kid, Yanli has some medical knowledge, we’re coming with you.” Jiang Cheng responds with his usual bluntness. Lan Zhan looks at Yanli and then at his brother, they all want to come with.

 

“Right. This way.” Lan Zhan says just as Wen Ning’s flare ignites the sky.

 

 

The first thing Lan Zhan notices are the wards. Every single one is damaged in some way. Wei Ying’s wards are strong, but like everything, they need upkeep. With all of the preparations, Wei Ying must not have had a chance to take a look at the wards. 

 

Wen Ning meets Lan Zhan. “Gongzi, the Wens are safe. My sister says that Wei-gongzi ordered them all to go there for safety.” He explains.

 

“And Wei Ying?”

 

Wen Ning leads them without a word. It's a mess, all of their time and work ruined in a matter of minutes. Lan Zhan looks around, setting Yuan down, he makes his way through the village checking on the villagers. There is one person missing. 

 

He saw his husband sitting by the lotus pond. He rests his arms on his knees. Chenqing hanging limply from his hand. He looks drained, tired, and ready to pass out. Not far from him is a fallen man who Lan Zhan has never seen before. The man is holding a sword that Lan Zhan doesn’t recognize. 

 

Some rogue cultivators try to cause trouble, whether for their own benefit or because someone is pulling the strings, but they never get past the barrier. This time whoever this cultivator was, was able to get past the wards.   

 

“Wei Ying!” Lan Zhan quickly came over to his husband. Wei Ying brought his gaze up to Lan Zhan and smiled.

 

“Lan Zhan you’re back.” He says tiredly. Lan Zhan sighed in relief. He didn't seem hurt, just tired.

 

“I’m back, everyone is here and safe, what happened?” He helped the other up to his feet and supported him with an arm around his waist. 

 

“That man, doesn't know who he is…he broke through the wards and demanded that I give him the Amulet. I refused and he started attacking and destroying things. I-I didn’t kill him, he’s passed out. We need to get him out of here.” Wei Ying explained his eyes never leaving his husband’s gaze.

 

“I’ll help Wen Ning move him somewhere else.” Lan Zhan says calmly. 

 

“I’m sorry Lan Zhan, I was so excited and focused on preparing for everyone I forgot to check on the wards.” Wei Ying mutters a small pout forming on his lips.

 

“Don’t be sorry, everyone is here, safe, and sound.” Lan Zhan smiles at Wei Ying reassuring his husband that everything will be alright.

 

That evening, after everything is cleaned up and Wei Ying is feeling better, he is surrounded by family and he couldn’t be happier.