001

On LP 080-4
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Year [5004]

 

It's been a few years since the world started destroying itself. Even with all the help people tried to do to preserve Earth a little longer, it was too late to reverse the damage that had been done. Despite all the warnings from scientists, most of the human race refused to listen to them and just continued living their lives doing whatever they wanted.

 

It first started when marine life started washing up on the shores. One would've thought that it was just due to another company's chemical pollution. But it was far different than everyone would have imagined. Instead of the usual animals that washed up on shore, fishes, the world was now starting to see other animals. Sea lions, dolphins, seals, sharks, and even whales were washing up on beaches. Scientists scrambled to find what was happening but could not find out what was going on.

 

There was nothing wrong with the animals. That is until they tested the waters. There was something toxic in the waters and everyone was trying to find out if it was due to chemical pollution. They wanted to see if they could fix it but no one could identify what was the cause of all the deaths. Since the water was toxic, governments around the world came together and put out a statement banning people from fishing and even going to the beaches to swim as they didn't know if it was toxic to the human body. From then on, the whole world had to cut seafood out of their diet and focused on eating red meat.

 

But even that didn't last long. Soon all the land animals started dying as well, the same as what happened to the marine life. They soon found out that even the soil had the same chemical DNA as the one that was found in the ocean. The scientists had to quickly make food pills and artificial food for the whole world so the human race wouldn't die of starvation.

 

Then came the volcano eruptions, volcanoes that have been sleeping for years and were predicted to never erupt ever in this lifetime. Somewhere along the way, came the frequent tornadoes, tsunamis, and even earthquakes. All these left millions of people dead with thousands having no home as it had all been destroyed.

 

Soon sinkholes started appearing around the world, mostly in the countryside. At first, they were small ones that the government could easily patch up, but soon bigger ones that could swallow up huge buildings were happening. The government tried to cover news about all these and paid off whoever witnessed the destruction it caused but with social media being so big, the news started spreading rapidly. Tons of people did not believe it and thought it was a hoax until it started happening in bigger cities.

 

That was when the governments couldn't keep quiet about it any longer and issued an official statement on the recent events that have been happening. This caused a massive panic buying and all the shelves in the different stores were quickly emptied. Every single day, people were praying that they would wake up the next day and that all these natural disasters would stop soon.

 

 

Year [5006]

 

Rin's POV

 

I watched with a sad expression as another sinkhole swallowed up another famous tourist attraction, the Eiffel Tower. It was a pity seeing something so beautiful, destroyed in mere seconds. I had gone to Paris a few years prior on vacation and loved it so much that I wanted to go back there but seeing how fast it disappeared underground, it looks like I wouldn't be able to go back there anymore. The news changed and this time it showed the aftermath of the earthquake that destroyed the largest city in the world, Chongqing. The camera panned to destruction and I saw several bodies before someone turned off the news

 

Staring at the black screen, I turned to my side to see that it was my best friend Jaein. Jaein was one of my team members that worked together with me to find the next planet that was the most earth-like. Since the events that happened 2 years ago, the government had asked NASA to form a team of scientists to find another planet that was suitable for life so they could prepare to go there before Earth could fully destroy itself along with the human race.

 

"Rin... You should stop watching the news. We both know that this has been happening for the past 2 years. There won't be any news on other things. Besides, I have good news on the planet we found the other day!" Jaein exclaimed and sat down on the chair beside me.

 

"I know that it has been happening but I just wanted to keep myself updated and it's just extremely saddening to see this happening to Earth... Also, what is the good news that you're going to tell me about?" I replied and turned to my computer trying to pull up the data on the planet that we had been researching for the past few months.

 

"Okay... you're not going to believe it but, the planet is survivable. We matched the data together with data we had on Earth and it's a 100% match! Can you believe it? It's an exact replica! What are the odds of finding another Earth-like planet?" Jaein said with glee shaking my arm while bouncing in her seat.

 

I shook my head with a smile and turned to my computer to compare the data. I was a little shocked but whatever she had just mentioned to me, was true. I was excited but then I realized that even with the salary I'm receiving now, it wouldn't be enough to give my family a spot. I had been saving up for a long time but it was only enough to guarantee myself a spot and there is no way I'm leaving my family here on Earth to suffer. It's cruel that we need money to be safe but that's what the world had been like for a long time.

 

"Well, that is good news. Have you told Chief yet? I'm sure he told us to let him know once we finished comparing the data." I said to her and took a sip from my lukewarm coffee that had been sitting on the table for the past 30 minutes.

 

"Yea about that, I told him and he asked you to drop by his office when you're free. He said that he needed to talk to you about something regarding the project. It's best if you go now since we're free after finishing this project. Let me know once you are done so we can go grab lunch together." Jaein said and swiveled her chair around to turn on her computer.

 

I checked my watch and saw that it was 11:30 am. "Alright, I'll go to his office. See you at lunch." I said and walked out of our shared office. I heard Jaein yell out "Let me know what he said to you!" to me before the door closed behind me. I headed over to the elevators wondering what the Chief wanted to talk about.

 

I pressed the lift button and took out my phone to check for messages. There was one message sent from my Mom about 20 minutes ago. I had been so engrossed in the news that I didn't feel my phone vibrate from the message.

 

Come home for dinner today. I made your favorite dish. <3

- Mom

 

I sent a text back saying I would come when the elevator pinged and open the doors. I stepped in and pressed the 20th floor where the Chief's office was located. I spent the next few minutes thinking back to the news I saw this morning. Honestly, I felt so disappointed in the human race. How did we let Earth reach this point? Earth was extremely beautiful before all these happened. Even with all the new technology and futuristic changes that were made over the years, we had preserved everything else that was natural.

 

I was deep in thought when the elevator pinged again signaling my arrival. The door opened and I looked up just to see the CEO of NASA heading out of the Chief's office. I looked at him with a confused expression. It isn't often that the CEO pays a visit to the Chief. Usually, they communicated via email but it seems that there might be something going on for him to come down in person.

 

I bowed to him before heading towards the Chief's office and knocked on the door. I heard a Come in! before I pushed the door open.

 

"Rin! Just the person I was expecting. Come and take a seat." Chief said and I walked over

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter