Epilogue

The Bylines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Youngstreet to Tie All Loose Ends in Three Last Episodes

Julia Sunhong Kim

Bloom

 

 

 

It is safe to say that the first six episodes of HBO’s Youngstreet have taken Korean entertainment enthusiasts by a storm. Fans of idols in particular have been raving about its bold and ofttimes unapologetic portrayal of the hustle and bustle of the cutthroat K-idol industry. With only three episodes left, what does Youngstreet have in store for its viewers?

 

A joint-production of Mubi, HBO+, and GoT Korea, Youngstreet combines the grace of well-known veterans with a band of talented new blood. Ock Joohyun (Mata Hari, Love Me Do) helms the production with frequent collaborator Kwon Boa (Woman, Woman, Woman) and leading lady Bae Joohyun (I am Red). Bae, herself an idol-turns-actress, plays Irene Ahn, an aloof performance director who oversees a batch of idol hopefuls in a training camp. Among the trainees under Ahn’s supervision are the fan favorite duo Hope and Joy, played by Kang Seulgi and Park Sooyoung from the real-life idol group S&S, and Toronto-transport Wendy, played by scene-stealer Shon Seungwan. As more episodes roll, the dynamic between the authority figures of the training camp and the trainees at one point begin to shift.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter