Unknown Color

Unknown Color

 “Damn,” Wonshik groaned as he dragged both hands against his face. It was 9 in the morning, he had a business meeting scheduled at 10, but he was faced with one of the most annoying occurrences in life.

His short hair that was still very black before he went to bed, had turned into a vibrant blue color.

“Why now?” Wonshik groaned again as he peeked from between his fingers. For the past thirty years, the only time his hair changed color was when he dyed it on his own will. He had worn probably all the colors of the rainbow, but at least he knew that he did it on his own.

Having his hair color changed naturally like that, it was something he dreaded for the past few years. It wasn’t always like that, though. During his teenage years and early twenties, he really hoped that his hair color would change, the way he saw his friends and colleagues did. But ever since his long-time crush had that transformation while his own stayed the same, Wonshik started wondering if he actually had a soulmate or not.

Shaking his head, Wonshik decided that such a thing wasn’t really important compared to the meeting he’s about to have. After all, he could always pretend that he simply colored his hair on a whim.

It really wasn’t a big deal.


When Wonshik entered the meeting room, the thing that struck his attention first was a person with fiery red hair. The color was such a stark contrast with his porcelain skin, and it felt like something was ignited within his heart.

“Ravi-ssi, this is Leo, the singer we’re going to work together with in this project,” introduced Daehyun as he gestured at the red-haired man. The man stood and gave him a polite bow, which Wonshik quickly returned.

“Nice to meet you, Leo-ssi. I’m looking forward to working with you,” said Wonshik with a business smile, as he offered his hand for a handshake.

The red-haired man gave him a small, timid smile, and gently shook the hand Wonshik offered. “Likewise,” he said, with the softest and sweetest voice Wonshik had ever heard in his life.

The soft and smooth hand slipped away from Wonshik a little bit too fast for his liking, but Wonshik still tried to stay professional and continued with the introduction.

From the project summary Wonshik got before the meeting, basically Wonshik was requested to make a song for his debut as ‘Leo’. Previously, he was known as musical actor Jung Taekwoon, but then he decided to try a career path as a singer. There were several recordings sent along the project’s proposal, and Wonshik already sent them some song demos to assess.

“This one is most interesting for me,” said Taekwoon as he played the demo for a song titled ‘Chocolate’.

Wonshik widened his eyes in surprise. It’s the song he made solely according to his personal taste, without considering Taekwoon’s background as a musical actor. Compared to the ballad songs he prepared, that one song was more upbeat and sensual. It didn’t really match Taekwoon’s calm and dignified image.

But looking again at the boldness of Taekwoon’s appearance in front of him, Wonshik could agree that the song suited him somehow.

“It matches your red hair, I think…” blurted Wonshik out before he had enough consciousness to rein his tongue. Taekwoon scrunched his eyebrows in confusion, but quickly enough he understood the situation.

“This is unplanned. Last night, my hair was still black. I’m not planning to keep this color after it disappears,” said Taekwoon.

Wonshik felt really awkward, even more so since his hair also changed its color on the same day.

‘Ah, but my favorite color is purple, not red…’

“Red is a good color for this concept, though,” said the art director, snapping Wonshik from his idle thought. “It’s a color of passionate love, after all.”

When the art director said that, Wonshik could feel how Taekwoon was blatantly staring at him. But as soon as Wonshik turned his gaze to meet with Taekwoon’s, Taekwoon tore his gaze away and started focusing on anyone who was talking. But then, it was Wonshik who couldn’t stop stealing a glance at Taekwoon.

By the end of the meeting, Wonshik’s focus was way out in the Andromeda galaxy, but at the very least everyone involved managed to combine their thoughts and came up with a more solid plan for Taekwoon’s debut.

“Oh, by the way, Taekwoon-ssi, what is your favorite color? We decided to use red because your hair is red, but what color do you actually like?” asked the art director as they tidied up the meeting room.

Taekwoon glanced at Wonshik before answering with his soft and gentle voice;

“It’s blue.”


At this point, Wonshik couldn’t tell anymore whether he’s happy or disappointed that his blue hair had returned to black again. They said the turning of the hair color would only happen on the first meeting, so he knew that he had ed up really bad.

‘The fact that my original hair color had returned means that my soulmate recognized me at first sight… Meanwhile I’m not sure that I saw someone with purple hair yesterday.’

Wonshik sighed and pulled out his phone, mulling over the decision on whether to book a salon to color his hair blue again or not. Some people asked him about the hair, and he nervously lied that he dyed it. If he suddenly showed up with black hair again, people would be suspicious. In the end, Wonshik decided to actually dye his hair blue.

“Blue again, after 7 years?” asked the stylist.

“It’s embarrassing, but… I got my Color Transformation yesterday, into blue, but I panicked and told everyone that I purposely dyed it. But this morning, it’s all black again, so I need to dye it blue for real,” explained Wonshik. He spent some time trying to find the closest blue with the one he saw the day before, but then he compromised and thought that no one would really notice if the shade was off anyway.

Exiting the hair salon with bright blue hair, Wonshik had started to forget why it turned blue in the first place.


“Your hair is still very red,” commented Wonshik as he saw Taekwoon in the recording studio.

“Yours has turned steel gray,” commented Taekwoon in return. He seemed to be frowning at Wonshik, but Wonshik thought that it’s probably because of the stress from all the debut preparation.

“It’s been a month after all… It’s quite difficult to maintain a vibrant hair color,” said Wonshik with a shrug. Taekwoon didn’t give any further comment, but the end of his lips were turning down. Obviously, he was dissatisfied with something. Still, he didn't really say anything until the recording was over.

“Speaking of which… Did you decide to color your hair red, Leo-ssi?” asked Wonshik while they're stepping out from the recording room for dinner.

Taekwoon was silent, seemingly pondering about what answer he should give, before he finally answered, “No. Some idiot simply can’t recognize their soulmate.”

“Wow, that’s… That sounds awful,” commented Wonshik. Taekwoon let out a long, tired sigh.

“It seems that I will have to get used to having permanent red hair. At least it’s not a weird color, like green or purple or something,” said Taekwoon.

“Hey, don’t disrespect purple like that. It’s my favorite color,” said Wonshik. Taekwoon raised an eyebrow, looking visibly annoyed just like when they talked before the recording.

“Well then let me tell you something; I hate the color purple the most.”

Just like that, the two of them didn’t talk to each other anymore for the rest of the day.


Coming to the debut or comeback showcase of the artists Wonshik worked together with was one thing, but coming to Taekwoon’s debut showcase was a whole other thing. Their relationship turned more and more strained after the purple incident, although at the very least they still maintained a professional communication.

“Why must I come to that guy’s showcase? I’d rather accompany Chiwoong to his gallery visit,” whined Wonshik.

“Xydo-ssi has already departed an hour ago, and this showcase visit is a must. You wrote the title song after all. The celebration wasn’t just for Leo-ssi, but also for yourself,” said Daehyun as he dragged Wonshik away from his work desk.

“Just send a bouquet in my name. I don’t want to go,” grumbled Wonshik.

“We’ve prepared a bouquet in your name, but you must deliver it yourself. Let’s go; we’re almost late,” said Daehyun. Wonshik scrunched his face as if Daehyun had just fed him dog .

“I seriously don’t understand why I really must go and meet him in person. He clearly doesn’t like me either,” protested Wonshik.

“Well, even if the two of you don’t like each other, at the very least you’ve managed to hold on for several months. Just hold on one more day. After this, I won’t even protest if you request a restraining order on Leo-ssi,” said Daehyun. Although his last sentence was most probably a joke, Daehyun seemed tired enough to just follow whatever absurd request Wonshik had as long as he could make Wonshik come to the showcase.


For reasons Wonshik couldn’t really understand, he felt disappointed when he saw Taekwoon with black hair. He already felt too used to the fiery redness in Taekwoon’s hair; it felt like heartbreak to see his hair change color.

“Congratulations on your debut,” said Wonshik as he handed the bouquet of red roses.

“Thank you,” replied Taekwoon with a thin smile. After he put down Wonshik’s bouquet, he took one album he already signed and handed it to Wonshik. “I don’t think I have said this yet… Thank you for the song. I hope everyone will love it the way I do.”

“I believe they will. Not because it’s the song I made, but because it’s the song you sing,” said Wonshik.

Taekwoon ducked his head, seemingly embarrassed hearing Wonshik’s remark.

“By the way, have your soulmate finally realized that it’s you? Your hair has returned to black,” commented Wonshik as he received the album from Taekwoon. Taekwoon’s expression soured, and Wonshik knew the answer immediately.

“I’ve told you that I’ll learn to live with permanent red hair. This is just a wig,” replied Taekwoon bitterly.

“Red really looks good on you, though,” said Wonshik without much thinking. Taekwoon shook his head and sighed.

“Unfortunately I’m starting to hate red, I guess. I mean, what’s the use of turning other people’s hair color if the other person can’t even recognize their favorite color?” rambled Taekwoon.

“But did you recognize yours right away, though? I mean, maybe they’re out there, with some unusual hair color too, unless your favorite color is something neutral, I guess. What was it again?” asked Wonshik.

Before Taekwoon could answer, a staff member came in and informed them that it’s almost time already. Everyone quickly got ready, did one last check on the equipment and wardrobes, and did some cheers before walking towards the stage. Wonshik, too, got ready to leave since he knew that it’s better for him to get back to work.

“It’s blue.”

Taekwoon’s voice stopped Wonshik on his track, making him turned towards the source of that voice. On the other side, just a few steps away from the door leading them to the stage, Taekwoon stood facing him.

“A vibrant blue color, like sapphire gemstone. That’s my favorite color,” added Taekwoon. He then turned away, leaving a confused Wonshik in the hallway.


Taekwoon’s company decided to work with Wonshik again for the second album, and Wonshik didn’t know what to expect when he saw Taekwoon in the meeting room still with the fiery red hair he had the first time they met. He felt really sorry for Taekwoon, but at the same time, he also thought just how stunning Taekwoon looked in red.

“The ones we chose this time are ‘Your Gray Lies’ and ‘Red Line’,” said the company’s representative. “But Leo-ssi would like to write his own title song. I hope that you can… assist him, if you don’t mind.”

A part of Wonshik was flabbergasted at the fact that his song wouldn’t be a title song this time, but another part of him was curious about what kind of song Taekwoon would write for himself.

“If you’re busy, it’s okay. I personally ask you because among all the songs people made for me, I like yours the most. But I understand that you’re a busy person, so no need to feel pressured to help me,” said Taekwoon. He was usually silent during the meetings, so it came out as a surprise for everyone.

“No! Ah, I mean, I don’t mind. I can match my schedule with yours,” said Wonshik immediately. Taekwoon flashed him a small smile.

“I’ll look forward to your visit,” said Taekwoon.


In the midst of his busy schedule, Wonshik still spared some free time to spend with his friends, Taemin and Jongin. The three of them promised to meet by the Han River and had a picnic. Taemin even went as far as demanding Wonshik to bring his dog along. So there Wonshik was, with his dog Ongdongi in one hand and picnic equipment in another.

“Dong-dongi, my cutiepie! How are you?” asked Taemin excitedly as he practically stole Ongdongi away from Wonshik.

“I’m here too, you know?” sighed Wonshik tiredly, making Jongin laugh in delight.

“You know that we like your dog more than you,” said Jongin solemnly. Wonshik made a face, and Jongin giggled, “Just kidding. We like you both equally.”

Nothing much was said among them afterwards, except for some random trivia drops or baby-talking to Ongdongi. After all, they had been friends for a long time, so being in presence with each other was enough for them.

“Suddenly I’m curious… If I got a Color Transformation, but my soulmate couldn’t recognize me at all, would I end up with that hair color forever?” asked Wonshik. To others, his question might sound random, but for Wonshik it was the least he could do to help Taekwoon.

“Hmm, I have never really met someone like that, so I can’t say anything in that regard,” said Taemin immediately. “I’ll feel sorry for them, though. Especially if they get a weird hair color that doesn’t match them at all.”

“Remember when you colored your hair orange? That was disastrous,” commented Jongin to Wonshik.

“Isn’t the worst disaster when he had pink hair?” asked Taemin.

“Hey, I look good in pink, excuse you,” protested Wonshik immediately.

“Ah! I know what Taemin means. It’s not the hair color; it’s the lie you tell that girl. She almost got permanent purple hair no thanks to you,” said Jongmin.

Wonshik scrunched his eyebrows and opened his mouth to protest, but then a memory he wished to burn away resurfaced in his mind.

“Your favorite color is not purple, you ing liar.”

Her angry and disappointed face, her accusing voice, and her beautiful purple hair replayed in his head, along with the coldness of guilt and his own disappointment.

“I’d be pissed too if I were her. Imagine thinking that someone is your soulmate, but apparently it’s a lie. That’s still a move, no matter how much you liked her,” commented Jongin.

“I didn’t lie about purple being my favorite color, though. I mean, she looks beautiful in purple,” said Wonshik curtly. Jongin and Taemin scoffed almost in unison.

“Your favorite color is red, you . You only told yourself that it’s purple ever since that incident. You only choose purple whenever you’re conscious. When you’re not, everything you choose is red,” said Jongin.

“I remember you told me that ‘red is the color of passionate love’ or something. Color me surprised if red isn’t your favorite,” added Taemin.

“I know I said that red is a nice color, but it doesn’t mean that it’s my favorite color,” said Wonshik, firm on his belief that he loved purple the most.

“Well,” sighed Jongin as he leaned back on his chair, “Just be careful not to give someone a permanent red hair—or purple, if you still insist—when it’s time for you to get that Color Transformation.”

Wonshik bit his tongue, not sure to tell his friends how he already got his Color Transformation and that there’s a very high chance that he had turned his soulmate’s hair color into a permanent purple.

But for some reason, Taekwoon’s flaming red hair that didn’t match his cold expression crossed his mind.

“I’ll learn to live with permanent red hair.”

Wonshik sank into his chair, staring blankly at the blue skyline.

“It can’t be… can it?”


“How is it?” asked Taekwoon as he turned expectantly towards Wonshik.

Wonshik, on the other hand, was startled. He wasn’t focusing on anything Taekwoon showed him, since he was too busy with his own very loud mind.

Seeing just how confused Wonshik looked, Taekwoon let out a long tired sigh and immediately fiddled with his computer again.

“I’ll remake everything from scratch, if the last one bored you out that much,” said Taekwoon sharply. Wonshik immediately stood up and held Taekwoon’s wrist, preventing him from deleting any of his work that Wonshik failed to listen to just then.

“No, it’s not you, it’s me. I’m so sorry, I just have too much in mind right now,” apologized Wonshik immediately. Taekwoon scoffed, with a bitter smile that Wonshik had grown familiar with.

“If it’s not good enough to distract you from whatever thought you have, then it’s not good enough to hook anyone’s interest. I’ll start over,” said Taekwoon.

Wonshik still stubbornly held on to Taekwoon’s wrist, but after one cold glance from Taekwoon, he let it go.

“Keep the piano at the intro. It’s… oddly haunting. I like it,” commented Wonshik timidly.

Taekwoon turned to Wonshik with wide eyes, not expecting that there’s still some part Wonshik actually listened to. Wonshik really thought that Taekwoon wouldn’t take his advice anyway, so he was mildly surprised to see Taekwoon deleting everything except for the said piano track.

Hours flew, and this time Wonshik had regained his focus and gave actual reviews on the work. There were still some heated arguments every once in a while, but the overall process was fruitful enough. By the end of the day, Taekwoon managed to finish most parts of the song, and even noted down what parts he wanted to work on after he took some rest.

“Is it okay with you if I want to consult you about the lyrics as well?” asked Taekwoon before they parted ways outside the studio building.

“If you don’t mind, yeah. I have to check my schedule first with my manager, though,” replied Wonshik.

“Okay. My manager will contact yours for the details, then. Thank you for today,” said Taekwoon with a small bow. Wonshik returned the bow, before going on his way.

But only after a few steps, he turned back, calling Taekwoon loudly, “Leo-ssi!!”

Taekwoon stopped on his track, turning towards Wonshik with an obvious confusion.

“You look really beautiful in red; like a red rose in full bloom, the very image of a passionate love,” said Wonshik.

And red Taekwoon became, from the tip of his ears to the base of his neck.

“Thank you,” replied Taekwoon, before he disappeared into his company’s car.

Wonshik felt really satisfied with himself; he couldn't hold back his smile.


When the schedule finally allowed Wonshik to meet Taekwoon again, Taekwoon’s hair was still bright red, and Wonshik felt like a heavy lead was dropped to the bottom of his stomach.

‘Was I wrong after all…?’

The thought distracted him, to the point he didn’t realize just how close Taekwoon’s face was to his own as Taekwoon called out his name to get his attention.

“Kim Wonshik-ssi!!”

Wonshik jolted after hearing his full name being called out. He felt like his heart had leapt out from his ribcage, even more when he noticed just how close Taekwoon’s face was, and just how invitingly red his lips were.

“Can you focus here, or do we need to take a break?” asked Taekwoon. His tone showed just how annoyed he was.

“A-ah, sorry,” stuttered Wonshik. Taekwoon leaned back and sighed.

“Let’s take a 30 minutes break, then,” said Taekwoon.

Wonshik felt really sorry. It wasn’t the first time he got too distracted while working with Taekwoon, and he doubted that it would be the last.

For some reasons, Wonshik’s attention was once again drawn to Taekwoon’s red lips. Even the way he pouted angrily looked y, although Wonshik really wanted to punch himself for being easily distracted like that.

“Your lips… What lip tint did you use?” asked Wonshik. The question was so sudden and completely out of nowhere, to the point Taekwoon stared at Wonshik with a deep frown and a glare sharp enough to cut diamonds.

“I’m not using any,” replied Taekwoon curtly.

“Really? They’re really red, though,” added Wonshik, seemingly unaware of how annoyed Taekwoon looked.

“Try touching them if you don’t believe me,” said Taekwoon.

Wonshik blinked several times. His brain was short-circuiting at Taekwoons invitation to touch his lips.

“C-can I?” asked Wonshik, stuttering. Taekwoon gave him a firm nod, and Wonshik inhaled deeply before cutting down their gap.

Taekwoon’s skin felt so cold and smooth under his palm, and Wonshik unconsciously held his breath as he swiped his thumb against the plump lower lip. He watched how it sprung back in place, hypnotizingly so.

And as if he was being hypnotized, Wonshik brought his own lips closer, until the two pairs met briefly.

But then one touch became two, two seconds became three, and their heartbeats became one.

In the midst of the heat, the touches, and the impatience, Wonshik ran his fingers through Taekwoon’s red locks and lightly pulled. To his surprise, it slid off far too easily from Taekwoon’s head, revealing messy black hair underneath.

“It’s a wig…?” asked Wonshik as he stared at the heaps of red in his hand, utterly shocked and confused.

“Well…” Taekwoon said slowly, “You said I look good in red.”

“But…” Wonshik looked confused, slightly betrayed even, as his eyes begged for explanation from Taekwoon, “Why?”

“A payback for playing with my feelings,” said Taekwoon lightly.

Wonshik opened his mouth to protest, but he knew that he was indeed wrong, so he closed his mouth again.

“So, Mr. My-Favorite-Color-Is-Purple, since I’ve proven that my lips are red without any lip tint, shall we go back to our earlier discussion?” asked Taekwoon as he stepped back, snatching his red wig from Wonshik’s hand. Wonshik could only blink quickly several times; brain cells still scattering all over the place from the earlier incident.

“Honestly, I don’t think I have enough focus to fill a teaspoon, so let’s just continue tomorrow,” said Wonshik defeatedly. Taekwoon only shrugged and began cleaning up his stuff.

Just before they parted ways outside the studio, Taekwoon stopped Wonshik and asked, “So what’s your favorite color, actually?”

With a long sigh, Wonshik replied, “It’s red; a vibrant red color, just like a sea of red roses in full bloom.”

Taekwoon smiled triumphantly at that answer.