Book Two: Chapter 5

Crown of Thorns
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Book Two: Chapter 5

The tunic that she wears is almost unbearably itchy, and Yuri has to press her hands together behind her back as she waits for the Grand Maester to rise from behind his desk and hobble around to peer at her through the low light. The clothes are not her own, instead stolen for her by Hyewon for this endeavour, but she tries to seem as natural in them as possible when the Grand Maester’s eyes run over her. Even stepping foot into the castle was enough to send a bristle of warning down Yuri’s spine, but Lady Sakura needs her dearly in this and after all Sakura has done for her Yuri cannot refuse.

“You must be here to replace my damned boy,” The Grand Maester says at last, and the words startle her so much that for a moment she is unable to find her words. The old man continues, not seeming to notice her silence. “About time, that oaf disappeared days ago.”

“Disappeared, Grand Maester?” Yuri manages, at last and the man grumbles his agreement, settling into an armchair across the room.

“No good rascal, always getting into scrapes, out and drinking until all hours,” He complains, scowling up at her. “But what am I to do with you? I need a boy, not a girl.”

“I’m a fast learner Grand Maester,” She protests, fiercely, “I’m young and strong, I can fetch and carry with the best of them.”

His eyes crease and he observes her again, this time more closely. “Hmm,” He agrees at last, motioning to her with his cane. “Get to sorting those herbs girl and we’ll see if you can stay.”

“Yes sir,” She darts to the herb box he had gestured to, taking the time to linger over the names carefully labelling each compartment. They work quietly together, and while the smell of incense irritates her nose and the light in the room is almost too dim to work by, Yuri is glad for something to keep her hands busy and working. The Grand Maester is mostly quiet, he asks for herbal tea and sweetmeats, and deigns to share some with her, but otherwise they are silent. When Yuri shows him the sorted herbs, he regards her with pursed lips and sets her to a more delicate task of cleaning and sorting his medical tools. He stands to watch her this time, leaning on his cane, and she tries to make sure that her hands don’t shake under his gaze.

“Did you become interested in medicine after your leg was injured?” It’s the first words either of them have spoken in over an hour and Yuri’s fingers fumble so sharply that the scalpel she holds slices straight into her thumb. She hisses a curse, and goes to stick the digit into , but gnarled fingers catch hers before she can and the Grand Maester tuts, leading her back to his desk. Carefully, he cleans the wound with a substance that makes her grimace, and begins to bandage it.

“Well?” The Grand Maester asks, as he works. “I asked you a question girl.”

“Oh,” Yuri swallows, pulling her eyes away from her bleeding thumb. “Yes, Grand Maester.”

“What’s wrong with it?” The Grand Maester inquires, and Yuri swallows back her automatic retort.

”Born with it, m’lord.”

The Grand Maester finishes with her thumb and peers down at her leg with interest. “Does it give you much pain?”

“Some.” She answers, tightly and the Grand Maester’s eyes are clearer than before when they meet hers again.

“Take ginger or feverfew to help with the pain,” He tells her, “I know you won’t trust me enough to take it from me, but you should be able to find that at the market.”

Yuri’s eyes widen in response and she stutters, “I trust you, m’lord.”

“There’s no use in lying,” He tells her plainly. “I’ve never seen a Maester’s apprentice with the hands of a blacksmith before.” She stares at him, hanging agape, and when he smiles the skin around his eyes wrinkles. “Tell Lady Sakura that I am truly baffled by what killed her father, and I’m conducting investigations of my own.”

---

In the room above the tavern that Yuri has called her home for the past few weeks, Sakura sits upon the bed, leaning back on the headboard as she picks at the meats and cheeses on the platter before them. Here, the door is locked and the noise of the tavern downstairs is just dim enough to be comforting. A fire warms the room and the servant’s garb that Hyewon stole for her is comfortable. Sakura could almost pretend that things are more simple than they are, but as Yuri takes a long drink of her mead and opens to continue speaking, she remembers far too abruptly why they are here.

“He says that he has no idea what happened to your father, but he’s trying to find out too.”

“And he didn’t have you executed the moment he realised you were a fraud?” Hyewon’s eyes dart to Sakura, “Maester Yunho would have killed you on the spot.”

Yuri quirks a grin at her words, but shakes her head. “He let me go and told me to report all back to you.”

“Could it be a double falsehood?” Hyewon muses, around a chicken leg. “To trick us?”

“But then why tell me about the runner disappearing?” Yuri counters, pursing her lips. “We didn’t know about that.”

“And Grand Maester Orrin has been here for as long as I remember, he is loyal to the Baratheons.” Sakura adds, quietly, and they glance at her.

“Do you think they know that we know?” Yuri leans forward from her place in the chair by the fire, stretching out her back and her leg. The scent of her ginger tea fills the room, strong and heady.

She considers for a moment before answering, her fingers going to the pocket of her dress where an offending strip of parchment sits, burning a hole. “I don’t know,” She admits, at last, “When I speak with Pike, he seems to think I am as helpless as a lamb but… this came under my door today.”

She pulls the note from her pocket and smooths it out on the bed covers. Hyewon leans over from her place beside her, her eyes narrowing as she reads it aloud for Yuri’s benefit.

“Courtyard, dusk?” Her eyes widen, swivelling up to look at Sakura with alarm. “You think this is Pike’s doing?”

“Who else?” Sakura shakes her head, “If the king wanted to see me, he would just ask for me. I think Pike is trying to scare me. I didn’t go, of course.”

“You should have told me about this earlier,” Hyewon snaps, angrily. “How can I keep you safe when you don’t tell me these things?”

The words are so fierce that Sakura is left blinking and amazed at her words. Finally, gathering herself, she replies softly. “I know, I’m sorry. I will next time.”

“We have to move more quickly,” Yuri insists, her brows narrowed, “It isn’t long before they work out what you know.”

“I need you to try and find the runner,” Sakura takes the parchment in her hands and lifts herself from the bed, pacing across the room to crumple it into her hands and throw it in the fire. Together, she and Yuri watch it burn and Sakura continues, seriously. “If he’s still in the city, we have to know about it. He’s our only lead.”

Yuri opens to respond, but they are interrupted by a tremendous banging on the door. They all jump, turning to stare, and Sakura’s hand goes to the dagger hidden in her skirts. She hears a shrill rush as Hyewon draws her sword, and the banging only becomes louder.

“Yuri!” A voice cries, as the girl takes the carving knife for the meat between her hands. “Come on, please !”

The voice is enough to make Yuri hesitate, her grip on her weapon loosening, and she walks stiffly to the door, pressing herself against it to call through.

“Who is it?”

“Daehwi!” The voice answers, more shrilly, and Yuri’s shoulders fall, throwing the knife to one side as she unbolts the door and swings it open to allow two figures to all but fall inside. One rushes the shut the door behind them as the other staggers across the room, as if to put as much distance between the exit and himself as possible.

“Daehwi, what-” Yuri sounds exasperated and annoyed, turning to glare at the skinny men trembling by the fire, but the other man, a little shorter and darker haired, shushes her.

Moments later it is clear why, as another set of footsteps comes pounding down the corridor, fists banging heartily on the doors until they open, and Daehwi’s face pales at the sound. His eyes dart around desperately, settling on the window, and Sakura hurries to his side before he can do anything rash.

“Quickly, under the bed,” She hisses to them both, and they are miraculously obedient, hurrying to follow her instructions.

“Sakura,” Hyewon protests, but Sakura waves her away, pushing her too beneath the bed. The rattling of their door returns moments later, accompanied by angry shouting, and she shoots Yuri a warning look to stay quiet, hiding her dagger once more between her skirts as she pulls the door open, one hand resting upon it so that only a slither of the room is visible, covered mostly by her body.

A wiry man stands on the other side, wearing a navy cloak and a grubby doublet, an axe in his hands, and he seems taken aback when she offers him a pretty smile, his grip on the axe slackening.

“Can I help you?” She asks, as innocently as possible, cocking her hip against the doorframe. His eyes are drawn down her body and she watches him from beneath her eyelashes.

“’Ave you seen two men?” He asks, at last, his eyes flickering to the room behind her.

“Not in the last hour or so.” She smiles coyly, “Have you lost someone?”

“Someones.” He grumbles, still trying to peer past her. “Heard anyone come past here, miss?”

“There was some terrible shouting earlier,” She agrees, amicably, “Someone banged on my door, but I didn’t see fit to open it.” Her eyes linger on him and she smiles again, “I’m glad I thought to open it to you.” The words surprise him, drawing his gaze back to her, and he grins. “I think they went upstairs.” Sakura adds, helpfully, and the man nods, turning away as she shuts the door again and slides the bolt across.

Hyewon’s head appears from beneath the bed, glaring at her, and Sakura watches as she hauls herself out, brushing at her uniform.

“That was dangerous,” The guard growls and Sakura rolls her eyes.

“You’re too conspicuous in that.” She gestures, and the two men causing all of the trouble push themselves up to lean against the bed.

“Thank you,” Says the darker haired one, his voice coloured with relief. “Really.”

“That was some witchcraft, enchanting him like that.” The second observes, his eyes narrowing a little. “Ain’t never seen any of Axel’s men distracted before, and they’ve seen plenty of pretty girls.”

“You’re welcome.” Sakura arches an eyebrow, crossing her arms, and Yuri glares at them both.

“What are you two doing here? What’s all that?”

“Axel may be thinking we cheated at dice.” The second man admits, and the first casts him a scathing glance.

“Because you did Daehwi.” His eyes find Hyewon and Sakura again, and he gives a weak, but good-natured smile. “Sorry, I’m Jisung, this knucklehead is Daehwi.”

“Hyewon,” The guard introduces herself gruffly, with a glower and Sakura nods in their direction.

“Sakura.”

“I’m sorry we disturbed you.” He sounds sincere, his voice a little more rounded and proper than his friend’s Flea Bottom accent. “Thanks again for taking us in Yuri.”

“Stop bloody cheating,” Yuri grumbles, “You’ve already been chased from half of the taverns in town, if folks figure you out you’ll be strung up from the rafters.”

“Tell him that,” Jisung jerks a thumb at his friend and Daehwi sits heavily on the bed, huffing with annoyance.

“Axel needs to back off, it’s his fault half of the city is struggling for bread. Some of us have to cheat.”

“You’re not struggling for bread,” Yuri shoots back, harshly, but it seems to slide from Daehwi like water from a duck’s back.

“I could be.”

“What did he do?” Sakura asks, curious and Daehwi rolls his eyes, as if just the thought of it irritates him.

“He helped start those riots that wrecked most of Flea Bottom.”

“He did?” Sakura’s eyes widen, and she tries to keep her intrigue from her voice as she continues, “How so?”

“Just turned around one day and started shouting about unfair taxes and the price of food.” Jisung shrugs, “He’s a leader around here, people look up to him-”

“They’re scared of him.” Daehwi puts in, fiercely.

“Anyway, when he started suggesting rioting like all of those others people listened.” Jisung settles on the bed next to his friend, more carefully. “Not that Axel ever really had something to riot about, he keeps half of the in town in business.”

“Has he said anything about the riots since?” Sakura leans against the high back of Yuri’s chair, “Nothing’s really changed.”

“Of course not, none of them have!” Daehwi raises his eyes to the ceiling. “So what was the point of it all? They don’t even care if it really changes, they just wanted a chance to plunder when the Gold Cloaks weren’t watching.”

“Do you know other people who started the riots?” Yuri asks, and Jisung’s eyes narrow even as Daehwi continues, barely hesitating.

“All the big guys in the city, everyone with a bit of swing. It didn’t do no good.”

“Surely the Gold Cloaks did something?” Sakura wonders aloud. “They’re the city guard, they’re sworn to keep the peace. Thugs encouraging people to riot should have been something to concern them.”

Daehwi snorts loudly. “As if the Gold Cloaks have ever helped the city, they’ve been crooked for years.”

Jisung makes a small noise of protest, and Daehwi rolls his eyes fiercely.

“They’re not all like that,” Jisung puts in, quietly, “Some of them are good men.”

“Just because Wooseok got you out-” Jisung shoots him a glare and Daehwi’s mouth snaps shut over his words. He continues sullenly, after a moment of silence. “Most of them are .”

“You’re only saying that because they catch you.” Jisung answers, with faux lightness to his voice, and Daehwi wrinkles his nose in annoyance.

“You know one of the Gold Cloaks?” Hyewon asks, finally, and Jisung gives an awkward, stilted nod.

“Captain Wooseok, he’s Captain of the Dragon Gate and the West Barracks.” Jisung pulls in a slow breath, unable to meet any of their gazes. “He’s a good man.”

Sakura swallows, there is something to Jisung’s manner which makes it clear why he is so intent on protecting Captain Wooseok’s reputation, and she feels a flurry of sympathy for him. “I’m sure he is,” She says, quietly, and Jisung gives her a small, slight smile.

“Captain Wooseok is fine enough,” Daehwi agrees, at last, but continues, “But that doesn’t mean that half of the City Watch aren’t paid off by the Lannisters. It’s only got worse since Lord Pike came here.”

“You think they were paid to let the riots go on longer than they should have?” Hyewon demands, and Daehwi nods stubbornly.

“There was no way it should have been that bad, where did Axel and those guys even get those longswords from anyway? I’ve never seen anything like it!”

“Do you trust Captain Wooseok?” Sakura asks Jisung, quietly, and the boy thinks on it for a moment, before nodding.

“With my life.” He vows.

“Can you ask him to help us?”

Jisung eyes her for a moment, suspicion clear in his gaze, but eventually he gives a nod. “I’ll ask him about that night.”

“Do you think you can ask around, see how all of those guys are doing now?” Sakura looks at them both, her eyes travelling across them. “See if they have a little more coin to spend at the dice tables now?”

Daehwi just shrugs, but Jisung’s eyes only narrow further. “Why?” He asks, at last and Sakura arches an eyebrow their way.

“I just saved your skin, for one.”

Jisung grimaces, and Daehwi half shrugs, leaning back against the bed. “Sure, we can ask around for a pretty girl. Maybe afterwards we can get a drink- ow!” He startles upright when Hyewon aims a sharp kick to his shin with the toe of her large boot.

---

Waiting has never been Sakura’s greatest skill. Unfortunately, there is little to do but wait and hope that Jisung, Daehwi or Yuri will find something of value, and so she is left to spend her days of leisure within the confines of the castle. After the note that was slipped beneath her door she is always wary for some further form of retaliation by Pike and his men, but nothing out of the ordinary occurs and so she is left to try to fill her days. Lady Fern and Lady Mira remain in the capital, and she often joins them for their late morning walks around the gardens. This morning, Lady Fern’s handmaiden accompanies them to look after the lady’s little boy, who has as much energy as a pup, running about between the hedges and bellowing, despite his mother’s constant attempts to quiet him. It is only her handmaiden who is able to calm the boy, and as they had watched her lead him by the hand around the statues in the garden, Lady Fern had laughed tiredly.

“I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter