Chapter 1: The Birthday Party

The day I meet you again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Seulgi stood still by the kitchen counter when Jaehyun started to run to greet her aunt who just entered their home. The F1 driver has half open as she is mesmerized by the beauty of her former lover. Is it possible for her to get even more beautiful in the last two years?

Both of their families had great relationships even before they were born. Seulgi and Joohyun were childhood friends who had feelings for each other. When they first revealed their relationship to their families, they received so much support from them so it was expected that they were disappointed when the two announced that they broke up. But they promised that it wouldn’t affect the relationship their families had. They didn’t want to ruin what their family had even before they were born, and so, whenever one of their families hosted a party, expect that they were always first on the list.

It just turned out that when Seulgi and Joohyun ended their relationship, the formula one driver got so busy that she was unable to fly back home to Korea. This was the time when she signed a contract in Scuderia Alpha Tauri, she had to do seat fittings and a lot of testing in the car as she was heavily involved in the development of the car. So when this season ended, she was thankful that she was given a quick break by her team and took this chance to go back home to her family. Right on time for her to attend Jaehyun’s 6th birthday, who is by the way, Joohyun’s nephew.

Seulgi’s attention on her ex-girlfriend was cut off when Joohyun’s sister called for everyone’s attention to come out as they will begin with lunch outside. Thinking that her ex might get uncomfortable with her presence, she went out first and sat beside her brother with her father and mother in front.

But avoiding her was pointless because when Joohyun came out to their backyard, they locked eyes with each other. Seulgi can tell that she was shocked to see her. The former was first to break the contact and headed to sit next to the birthday boy by his request. Just a few chairs away from the F1 racer, “Seulgi,” she looks to where her name was called.

She avoids looking at Joohyun who was beside her father, the person who called her. “How’s it going with your job so far?” Seulgi smiles to her ex-girlfriend’s father, “well, the season ended pretty well for the team.” She answers shortly, wiping with a napkin.

“It did, didn’t it? You were fifth place in the driver standing. A few more years and you’d be Korea’s first F1 Champion.” Mr. Bae regarded everyone agreeing as well. Seulgi could only let out a shy smile at the compliment, “Uncle, it’s still a long way. I haven’t gotten my maiden win yet.” She says with a chuckle then her own father spoke which made Mr. Bae turns his attention to his old friend.

“She’s right, Junseo. It’s still a long way but maybe driving for Red Bull can finally get her that deserved win” This caught the attention of Mr. Bae because he immediately turns his head to look at Seulgi with pure confusion. “Driving for Red Bull? You’re no longer in Alpha Tauri?” She sees how her father freezes beside her mother who's currently shaking her head when she realizes his father’s slip off.

Currently, Alpha Tauri has not yet also announced the other driver line-up for the team in the next season but given how outstanding Seulgi’s performance is they knew they weren’t gonna drop the F1 driver anytime soon. Everyone is sure that it’s still Seulgi and that they are prolonging the announcement to get the fans hype up and nervous at the same time. What they don’t know is that Alpha Tauri signed a Japanese F2 driver and they’re only waiting for Red Bull Racing Team, their sister team, to announce that Seulgi signed with them before they welcome the new Japanese Rookie in the team.

His younger brother, Seungmin, let out a chuckle and muttered only for his sister to hear, “looks like you got no choice but to tell, noona.” Seulgi nods to her brother and gives her father a playful glare, only to notice that she got every adults’ attention on her. Even Joohyun is waiting for an answer as she sits still.

She gave them all a smile to ease the tension around, “It’s yet to be announced but I signed a contract for the Red Bull Racing team. I’m their new driver since Checo has already retired from Formula One.” Seulgi laughs when Mr. Bae cheered, and also noticed how Joohyun flinched at her father’s action. “That’s why I’ll be heading to the United Kingdom instead of Italy on the 26th. I have a seat fitting and testing on tracks to do since the announcement as their new driver will take place on the same day.” She simply explained.

“Well then, this calls for another celebration.” Mr. Bae raised his glass of wine which Seulgi waves off at the older man, “Uncle, let’s celebrate on another day. Today is all about Jaehyun. I don’t want to ruin anything.” Seulgi politely declines for a celebration on Jaehyun’s day which makes Mr. Bae sighs and lowers his hands. “Fine. But you better send me some Red Bull Merch, okay?”

The F1 racer laughs, “I’ll be sure to have some send on your way, uncle.” and she noticed how Joohyun elbowed his father and once again, she made eye contact with her ex, this time longer than the previous one, and this time it was Seulgi who decided to break the contact.

“I saw that.” The Racer looks at her brother, “saw what?” She asked not to be suspicious of it. “The look you two were giving. They might not notice it but I do, ever since she stepped out here.” Seulgi watches as Seungmin gestures to where Joohyun came out earlier.

“Pretend like nothing happened then,” Seulgi ended the conversation and took a bite of her food while her brother chuckles and mutters once again, “you two are acting like you don't know you’d see each other here.” She decided to ignore her younger

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter