Your Place Next to Me (Prologue)

My Place Next to You

Prologue (Dahyun's PoV)

Sana-unnie did you know? I have a sixth sense for being observed? It’s not only the cameras but also when someone’s eyes are on me I sense them even without looking. So I always feel your warm gaze where-ever I go. But lately I’ve been afraid to meet that unwavering warm-eyed smile of yours. Sometimes when you hold me in your eyes it feels like you’re peering right into my soul, as if you’ve seen right through my bluffs and feigned ignorance.

I’m afraid that I wouldn’t be able to keep pretending I don’t understand the deeper meaning when you jovially tell me how much you love tofu; or when you call me to tell me how much you miss me even though we’ve just spent the day working together; or how you always tell me you want to stay together this way forever. But how long can I pretend this is all just for the fans and the cameras? I’m afraid we’ll cross a line we can never return to. So then I tell you - I too wish Twice would never disband so that the nine of us will be together forever. Twice. We owe it to ourselves as much as to our members to treasure what we’ve worked so hard to build right? What if these feelings jeopardize the future of our group? Wouldn’t you regret it then?

But deep down, I know those are all just excuses. What I’m afraid of most of all is that I wouldn’t be able to keep you beside me forever, that your feelings will change. Whenever I try to put some space between us I see you running off to play around with our members, our staff, our fans, with the same unwavering warm-eyed smile you light up their worlds. And I hate it. I hate how effortlessly you make them all fall for your charms. I hate that I’m not the one making you laugh and smile. And I hate that I’m not the one you are holding in your arms. The brighter you shine, the longer my shadows grow. And I’m scared of how selfish I’ve become.


But I’ve come to realize that it’s already much too late to keep these feelings contained. The more I struggle to keep them at bay the deeper I sink, and you are the only one who can save me from myself. If I keep making excuses while pushing you away I’m afraid I will really lose you forever. So I’ve made up my mind - I’m going to bring it back. Back to that place when you are standing right here beside me. If I looked you in the eye would I be able to convey these feelings to you? If I called your name would you look only at me? And if I reached out for you would you hold my hand and never let go? I can’t know for sure, but I'm going to follow my heart. Even if it’s going to hurt, I won’t hesitate anymore. So I’m taking a leap of faith, because there is no one else I’d rather have but you in this place next to me.

Fin.

Side note: there are many references to Twice songs. Leave it in the comments if you can figure out which ones ;) Didn't mean for it to become so heavy but I guess sometimes that's just the way it goes XD