The promise

The promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"If I we are still single at 25 Years old, I say we become a couple."
"What? Ewww. Binnie, you have weird ideas."
"No, think it out. If we are still free at that age, it's because nobody likes us. I don't want to live alone, do you?"

Dongmin bit his lips.

"Still, it's weird."
"It's in forever anyway. And it's not like we will stay single right?"

Moonbin showed his hand, waiting for a contact. Dongmin sighed and finally agreed.

"I am sure it's the worse idea you never had."

 

 

 

 

It has been 13 years since they had that discussion about being a couple at 25 years old. They are now 23 and 24. Many things had change, they became popular and worked a lot.

The thing is, they thought that with fame would come girlfriends and lovers. The reality was quite different.

Sure, Dongmin was popular with girls. But sometimes, too much is like too little. Girls are afraid of him; they do not want to approach him because they think they have no chances with him.

As for Moonbin, he never had the chance to find his Prince charming. For once - nobody knew about his preferences. He always thought he would bring that secret with him in his grave. Now maybe a friend or two knew, but it was mostly a secret. Since he was not interested in girls, he rejected every confession he had.

Dongmin told him he was stupid - that he should enjoy his youth before his marriage.
Moonbin stayed silent unsure what to say.

They both knew their 25 years anniversary would be soon. Mostly for Dongmin. But none had talk about it since their conversation. Moonbin was too shy and Dongmin thought his best friend forgot about it.

Anyway, he was not sure how this would work. Would it be when they would both be twenty-five? Or only when Dongmin reached the number? It was too complex, and he did not really care.

He was simply curious.

Curious to know if something would happen. If they would really date. It made him chuckled. How awkward he would be with his best friend. He never really thought about him like that.

 

 

 

 

March was almost done and Dongmin's birthday came. Nothing happened. The older didn't think he would hope that much for it. A part of him thought he was silly. Another was deceived.

Moonbin started acting off after. He didn't want to go to the movies only with Dongmin like before. He didn't want to play videogames only with him.

Come to think of it, Moonbin was trying to never be alone with his friend.

Dongmin let him be. After all, they had been friends since forever. It would resolve by itself, right?

It didn't. It became worse.

Something happened. Something that hurt Dongmin more than it should.

"Guys?"

Moonbin was in the living room's dorm with all of Astro. It was December. In less than two months, he would be 25 too.

As his friends weren't looking at him, he talked louder with pink cheeks.

"Guys, I have something to tell you."

Myungjun talked loudly, chucking.

"What? Have you finally found a girlfriend?"

It was a running gag between Astro. Moonbin and Dongmin were doomed to stay alone forever. They were already old enough and had no relationship. Even Sanha had a boyfriend before.

"As a matter of fact, ... Yes hyung. I do."

All of his friends gasped. Dongmin put his hand on his heart slowly. Why was it hurting? He should be happy for his friend.

"Who is it?"
"Is she an idol?"
"You sure you aren't joking around?"

Moonbin smiled softly under the million’s questions. He took a moment, then spoke.

"It's Eunbi."

The voices became louder.

"What?"
"How did it happened? How can you fall in love with a childhood friend?"
"But she told me she thinks of you like a brother."

Again, everybody talked at the same time.

Dongmin and Moonbin had an arrangement. If they were single by 25, they would date. But Moonbin couldn't do that. He had to act before. So, he asked his girl best friend to act like his girlfriend. Well - actually they were " officially dating " but... Not really.

Eunbi knew about Moonbin's preference. She's too smart and found out few years ago. Moonbin asked for a favor, and she said yes. They will act like they are a couple, but it's an illusion.

Moonbin looked at his friends’ reactions. They all seemed happy for him, all but one. Dongmin. He had a strange emotion on his face, and Moonbin couldn't read it. After he explained how they became (fake) lovers, Dongmin found an excuse to leave, telling them he had to study for a recording.

He left to a nearby park, where he sat down with a script in his hand. His eyes were glued on it, but his mind was elsewhere. Why was he hurting right now? He wasn't sure. He should be happy for his friend. He should be glad they wouldn't "date" at 25 years old. Anyway, that was not possible.

When Moonbin suggested it, they didn't know they liked girls. They didn't know it was repulsive to date a guy, right? Then why was he still dreaming about holding his friend's hand? Why was his mind imagining how his lips would have tasted like if they really date?

"..." He mumbled, finally realizing.

He found his friend beautiful. He shouldn't have those kinds of thoughts. It was Moonbin's fault. If he didn't suggest it when they were younger, he wouldn't have...

Dongmin sighed. He was smarter than that. It's not because of that bet. It would have happened anyway. Dongmin always liked Moonbin.

 

 

 

 

 

The next time Dongmin met with Eunbi and Moonbin, it was late January. They were walking outside, holding hands. It made him frowned right away.

"Hyung!"

Moonbin was all smiles. His friend had to act friendly or else the two others might notice something was wrong.

"Hey, you two."
"Oppa, how are you? It's been a while."

Dongmin faked a smile to Eunbi. He hated her so much. She was nice before. Before she stole his best friend.

"Fine, thanks. I'm pretty busy recently with work."

They talked a little, then Eunbi looked at Moonbin and let go of his hand.

"Binnie, I just remembered... I have a meeting later for work. I need to go."

Moonbin frowned at his girl friend. What was she doing? She was supposed to stay with him. Even more when Dongmin was around. She noticed his action and hug him closely talking softly, making sure only him could hear.

"Just talk with your friend. You can't hide forever. He looks sad when I am around."
"Eunbi-ah..."

She backed off, waved at them, and left quickly.

Monnbin felt awkward instantly as Dongmin was looking at his feet.

"G-girls, right?" He mumbled.

Dongmin looked at him, then sighed.

"It's not like I would get it and you know it."

Moonbin closed his eyes, feeling stupid. His friend has always been single. Like him actually. But Dongmin didn't know.

"Minhyuk told me you were planning a big party for your birthday."

Moonbin blushed. He didn't tell his friend yet. Now he felt bad someone told him before he could invite him.

"Y-yeah well... You know how I am. I thought about going out to a dance club or a bar. I was about to invite you..."

Dongmin nodded.

"It's fine. You don't need to if you don't want to."

Moonbin felt bad. He opened his mouth, trying to find the right words. As it took time, Dongmin had the time to turn around and walk away slowly. Moonbin sighed, then became angry at himself. He quickly ran to his friend and touched his arm.

"Hyung. Of course, I want you there."

Dongmin didn't look reassure.

"I am sorry if I had spent less time with you recently. I shouldn't have. You are still my best friend, aren't you?"

His friend looked away, shrugging his shoulder.

"I don't know. Am I?"

Moonbin let go of his friend's arm, hurt by his last sentence.

"Yah..."

Dongmin's heart was racing and hurting at the same time. He was trying hard not to show him how depressed he has been. How bad he was feeling right now.

How much he wished he had received that hug earlier. How he could hold his hand and warm his heart.

He talked with the most silent voice ever.

"I think I need time alone. I'm going home. "

He needed to stay away from Moonbin. It hurt him every second. Why was he in love with his best friend?

Moonbin stayed still, looking at his friend walking away. A tear rolled down his cheek after a moment. Did he lose him?

He was trying so hard to act like nothing was wrong that he didn't realise he might hurt him.

He took his phone and quickly phoned Eunbi. She answered almost right away.

"How it went? Did you made up?"

Moonbin sniffled and wipe few tears. He tried to talk between two sobs.

"Eunbi-ah... My heart hurt so much. I think he doesn't want to be my friend anymore."
"What? What happened? Did you confess?"
"N-no. I just ignored him too much since we fake the dating."

Eunbi sighed.

"I knew it was a bad idea. I think we need to break up now."
"What? No. My birthday is this weekend. I can't be single at my birthday."
"Are you blind? Oppa dislike me because I stole his friend. If you want him back, we need to break up."

He didn't think it would hurt him, but his heart pinched a little. He knew it was fake. There is no love between them - other than a sister-brother's kind of love.

"No..."
"I'll come at your dorm tomorrow. Be prepare. I'll make it sound like I'm the bad one and you'll look like a puppy."
"Eunbi-ah..."

She hung up.

Moonbin bit his lips. She was supposed to be here for him. She was supposed to help him forget about Dongmin. Well, it wasn't really helping him right now.

He walked back home and went directly in his bed, ignoring Dongmin who was reading his script in their room.

 

 

 

 

The next day, Moonbin had no energy. Dongmin wasn't speaking to him even though they were in the same room.

Eunbi appeared around noon. He tried to make her change her mind, pity her with his eyebrows, but she frowned.

She looked at Dongmin, then at Moonbin. She scratched her neck thinking it was show time.

"Binnie, we need to talk."

The apartment was silent, only Dongmin, Moonbin and Eunbi were there.

"I am not in the mood now, Eunbi." Mumbled Moonbin, while looking at the floor.

"You are never in the mood anyway. Just listen to me, okay?"

She looked at Dongmin again quickly, he wasn't listening. Too immerse in his reading. She would need to be clear and hard with his friend. That way Dongmin would talk with him. He looked back at Moonbin who was looking at him with puppy eyes. He's a great actor, he thought. He already has tears in his eyes.

"Bin, we need to break up. I can't deal with you anymore. You are a good guy and all, but we don't fit together. We can stay friends, but nothing more."

Bin was looking at her without reacting much, only with wet eyes. She looked at Dongmin, his eyes weren't moving anymore. He wasn't reading his script - he was listening. She smiled internally.

"I hope you can find someone who loves you as much as you can love back, okay sweety?"

Moonbin closed his eyes, and the tears ran down his cheeks. Eunbi turned around, about to leave when Moonbin talked softly.

"Eunbi-ah... How can you do this to me?"

His voice sounded hurt. He really was a good actor. She turned to talk back and met with Dongmin's gaze. He was looking at her with dark and menacing eyes.

"I-I'm sorry. It's me really. You'll find someone better."
"But I don't want someone better. Can you see I really love you?"

Eunbi frowned. What was he doing? It was supposed to be a clean and easy break up. If it was acting like that, Dongmin would hate her forever.

"You know it's better for both of us. Let's keep touch in a while, okay?"

Moonbin hide his eyes with his hands. Why was her heart hurting this much at the sight? She knew it was a bad idea since the beginning. She knew she would grow feelings; she always does.

She walked away without turning back.

Moonbin was legit crying now. He didn't know he liked her company that much. Sure, he was tearing up because of what happened - because it was fake and all. But he was also crying because of what Dongmin has told him yesterday.

He was aware of Dongmin presence. He felt his gaze on himself. But he stayed quiet. Dongmin let Moonbin cry for a moment before moving.

Dongmin placed a hand on his friend shoulder. Moonbin stayed still, unsure what to do anymore. The tears were real. He was really hurt.

"Binnie-ah..."

Dongmin's voice was soft. Moonbin answered, feeling angry and hurt.

"What? Am I too loud? Sorry. I just got my heart ing broke into pieces."

His friend sighed.

"I know. I just want to let you know I am here for you."

Few more tears ran down his cheeks. He looked at his friend, frowning.

"Yesterday you told me the exact opposite. I don't need your pity."

Dongmin bit his lips. Moonbin knew he was harsh, but he didn't know how to act with his friend. He was lost.

"I wasn't in my right state of mind yesterday. I am sorry. I shouldn't have implied that we weren't best friend anymore. I'm willing to be. If you still want to."

Moonbin heart raced a little. He looked at him while pouting.

"It hurts to much hyung. Can you do something about it?"

Dongmin quickly hug his friend, patting his hair. Moonbin slowly put his arms around his friend's neck, hiding his nose in the other's neck. Dongmin knew his clothes were becoming wetter by the minute, but he didn't care.

Right now, all that matter was making Moonbin happy.

They stayed together, hugging, for a while. When Moonbin calmed down, he became shy, realizing he was in his crush's arm.

He backed off, looking at the floor. Dongmin was still worried about him.

"It will be better. In the meantime, I am here to cheer you up, okay?"

Moonbin sighed, wiping few last tears.

"Will you be there for me when I need a hug?"
"S-sure."
"Thank you. I know I am a big baby right now. I didn't know I would feel this way honestly. I knew it wouldn't last forever with her."

Dongmin took his friend's hand, looking sad for him.

"Will you stay friends with her?"

Moonbin nodded.

"Yeah. We were friends since forever. We will be fine. I will be fine."

That night, they spoke a lot before sleeping. Moonbin felt like it was back to normal. Back to how he was supposed to be with his best friend.

 

 

 

 

The week passed, Dongmin kept his word. Every time Eunbi was mentioned or every time Moonbin was feeling down, he was offering a hug or a nice word. It made his friend felt nice and special.

Moonbin woke up slowly. He knew what day it was. He was afraid of that day for a while now. His 25th birthday.

He wasn't ready to deal with their promise. He wasn't ready if Dongmin forgot about it neither. He just didn't know what to think about it.

Here it is. Both were 25 years old and single. What happen now?

He took a shower, then got dressed. He notice the dorm was awfully quiet and understood why soon after.

Nobody was home.

Moonbin sighed. Nice. What a wonderful way to start my birthday than by being alone?

He was grumpy and everything seemed darker than it should be. He wished he could be with Dongmin and have a sweet kiss for his birthday but he knew he was dreaming. That wouldn't happens.

He was about to open the fridge when he saw a note. It was Dongmin's writing.

"Binnie! Happy birthday! Sorry I can't be here right now. I have work this morning. I cooked a seaweed soup for you. <3"

Moonbin blinked. Did... Did he draw an heart? He took the note, fold it, and put it in his pocket. He then heated his soup, eating it slowly while smiling.

It was delicious and Moonbin was glad his friend thought about him. He wished he was here with him. But hey, it was better than nothing.

He went to work at the studio, where he met Minhyuk and Jinwoo. Both were dancing around, trying to create contemporary dance routine. As soon as they say him, they hug him while smiling.

"Binnie! Happy birthday!"
"Happy birthday hyung! Can't wait for tonight's party."

Moonbin smiled, scratching his neck.

"I hope people will come. I invited quite a lot of people."

Jinwoo chucked.

"Are you serious? You're the most social in all of us. Of course there will be a lot of people."

He had invited about an hundred people. If at least half of it comes, then it would be a success.

He worked out with his friends until early in the afternoon. He received a message from Dongmin while walking back home.

"I'm still stuck at work. I should be free only late tonight. I'll see you at your party. Happy birthday again!"

Moonbin sighed. He knew his friend was busy - nothing is new here. But he somehow hoped he could be with him today. At home, he prepare himself for the night and watched TV with Sanha.

At 9PM, a phone call from Minhyuk informed him that people were arriving at the bar. He smiled while getting up. He and Sanha went to the club. It was downtown - not too far from their home. He knew it would take less than 10 minutes to get there.

"So, Minhyuk is already there?" Asked Sanha while looking away.

Moonbin chuckled.

"Yeah. I told you so. Did you forget already?"
"Hm... No... Will he take care of drinks all night?"

Moonbin shrugged his shoulder.

"Don't know. You can take his spot if you think he's too bored."
"Hm... I will. Maybe I'll just help him."

They quickly arrived at the place. It was already packed with people. It was a small club with loud music. Lights were flashing and it smelt like alcohol. Everything that Moonbin liked.

He looked at Sanha a moment and smiled. The younger seemed lost. He was looking at the bar while biting his lips. Sure, he knew Sanha wasn't into clubbing. He knew he might be awkward here - but not that much.

"You can go and talk to Minhyuk if you feel awkward. He's not at the bar yet. See, he's there."

Moonbin pointed a boot near the bar where Minhyuk wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter