Final

The apprentice and the Crystal Dragon

The splendor before your eyes left you breathless, the vaulted ceiling painted with scenes from an ancient tale; tapestries that stretched across three walls depicting tales of heroes long dead.

However, as fate would have it, you were thoroughly distracted by the flurry of magic explosions obliterating your vision every time a magic spell hit its target: the dragon. After all, you were a mere human in the company of two magical beings, your companion Baekhyun, a wizard, and a fearsome crystal dragon. Your presence here was not only an honor but also a grave danger.

"You know what to do, right?!" Baekhyun shouted at you as she threw another fireball at the dragon's head.

You have been tasked with assisting Baekhyun on this quest to save the world from the evil of a dragon. But how could you possibly help?

The dragon is currently trying to attack Baekhyun.

While you're still recovering from the blast of electricity thrown at you by the dragon, Baekhyun yells at you again, "That's one down!"

You fall back to the ground, gasping for air. There were so many different spells being hurled around between Baekhyun and the dragon. It was hard to keep up with all of them.

But even if you did, there was no way you could stand against a crystal dragon with just your measly sword and your weak hand holding up the heavy silver shield. you suddenly had to dive right as a fresh blast of dragon fire almost reduced you to roast beef.

"Hurry! We need to keep pressing forward," Baekhyun shouts as she draws the dragon's attention away from you.

As you struggle to get up, the dragon notices you and heads straight toward you with a growl.

You hurtle through the air, landing heavily on the floor.

"Ouch!"

Even though you are protected by the shield, the impact was still enough to knock the wind out of you.

One of the dragon's claws rips through the shields, narrowly missing you by inches.

"You have got to be kidding me. no one told me I would immediately have to fight a dragon when I signed up for this apprenticeship!”.

 

The dragon then turns its attention fully towards you as if spurred further by your comment.

The dragon is about to kill you.

You can't allow this to happen. You must hurry to assist Baekhyun.

After all, she has already sacrificed much for your sake,  the entire village, and deserves to live.

You scramble to your feet with a new resolve,  hands steady on your sword and shield.

The dragon attacks.

A fierce shriek echoes through the chamber as the dragon's flaming breath devours the very ground beneath your feet.

With your senses dulled by pain and fear, you lunge at the dragon with your shield held high above your head.

With arms steady, you swing for the dragon's head.

The dragon's fiery breath lashes out, knocking you to the ground.

You watch helplessly as your companions are engulfed in flames.

The dragon's green eyes glint dangerously as it continues to advance menacingly toward you.

You drop your shield and hold the sword in both hands in a final attempt to aim at the dragon.

You barely manage to pull off a powerful strike at the dragon's neck. The blade cuts deep, opening a gash on the beast's skin.

The dragon screeches in anger, its wings flapping wildly as it raises its massive head and opens fire with its lightning-like breath.

"I'm screwed." you think to yourself.

Baekhyun's voice rings out behind you, "Not yet!"

The dragon's fire blast explodes around you as you desperately try to find a safe place to hide.

It burns you, scorching you like a charcoal briquette.

"Yeah right!" You shout back at her.

You turn to see Baekhyun running towards the dragon, her staff raised over her head. She unleashes a powerful burst of energy that knocks the dragon backward and sends it crashing into the stone wall.

It's too late.

The dragon had swung out its tail just as Baekhyun had hit it with her burst of energy, she tumbles to the ground grabbing her chest in pain.

"I'm so sorry, I couldn't get to you in time..." Baekhyun whispers as she clutches her chest and falls to the ground.

The dragon slowly gets to its feet, its eyes bloodshot with rage, this time you know it's either you swing right at the dragon's head or the dragon turns you to barbecue.

you have no choice.

"I'll die before you do," you say defiantly as you draw your sword.

The dragon's eyes narrow as its mouth stretches open wide.

You are about to die, but there is one thing you can do, you charge at the dragon with your hands held high above your head. With no regard for yourself, you lunge at the dragon's head.

The dragon roars with anger as it chases after you.

The dragon is now attacking.

Baekhyun is surrounded by a vortex of dark energy, her body glowing bright blue. You get distracted for a nanosecond as you glance sideways at Baekhyun.

When you look back at the dragon, it's too close for comfort. You have to act fast.

You raise your sword and shield as you run towards the dragon's side.

The dragon advances upon you with a snarl.

Miscalculating the amount of speed your legs could generate, you swing for the dragon's neck, but you miss by a mile. The dragon's head slams into you, knocking you to the ground.

The dragon leaps over you, landing on top of you with a thud. Its claws dig into your flesh, leaving deep wounds on your shoulder and stomach.

Suddenly you feel the warmth of the dragon's mouth closing around your stomach and you can feel your body lifting off the ground. You scream as the dragon lifts you higher above its head, staring you straight in the eye.

Then its eyes go blank, and as it does, your mind goes black.

This is where you go to sleep.

"You fool". You hear Baekhyun yell from within the circle of dark light

You feel a blast of energy as the rest of the world goes black before your eyes

 

 

She shakes her head as she looks down at you, "What were you thinking? How could you do something so stupid?"

Your eyes remain closed as you listen to Baekhyun's words.

Baekhyun is standing next to you, using her staff to lift you from the ground. Her staff flashes with a strange purple light, dissipating the brightness.

"I'm so sorry, I couldn't get to you in time..."

You look around as you slowly come to.

The great hall was brightly lit with only a few candles burning. The room was empty except for you, Baekhyun, and the dragon.

As if understanding, Baekhyun says, you are in the great hall, on the floor.

> You say "The great hall, I don’t see any walls or ceilings?", you ask."

Baekhyun replies, "Yes, the great hall. It's where we first met each other. This is where you came to save my life when I was poisoned by the Simjans."

> You say "I thought this place was destroyed in the first battle with the Simjans."

Baekhyun smiles, "No, it wasn't. It was destroyed later on when the Simjan queen took over the castle."

"Where is it located?" you ask.

"Well, it's in a hidden part of the castle," Baekhyun explains.

"Hidden part of the castle?" you ask.

Baekhyun nods, "Yes, so it's best to let it go for now."

The dragon's eyes glow red. Its wings flutter and rise, launching itself upward and into the air.

"Why is it suddenly not minding us and flying away?"

Baekhyun shrugs, "Sometimes it doesn't want to kill us."

 

"It doesn't want to kill us? that's strange."

Baekhyun laughs, "Don't worry, it won't stay like this for long. It always comes back to finish the job."

The dragon lands behind you, its tail wrapped around your waist.

"Okay, now I'm confused. what's going on here?"

 

Baekhyun laughs and says, "I'll tell you all about it once you get back to the castle."

You are a young apprentice wizard who has just been accepted into the most prestigious school of magic in the land: The Wizard Academy.

You scratch your head in confusion.

 

Baekhyun noticing your rising distress chuckled.

"Have you taken a good look at where you are right now?" she asks.

You pause and take a look around and notice the landscape was completely different from what you were used to.

 

Baekhyun laughs even louder and says "Don't you see all the white clouds and castles floating around?"

 you look around you and up at the dragon that seemed to be smiling down at you.

 

"Dude, we are dead".

Baekhyun finally says

You laugh at the absurdity of what Baekhyun said.

"Dead? That's impossible!" you exclaim.

Baekhyun responds, "Well when you're dead, you probably won't be able to sense the difference."

Baekhyun pulls you to your feet. "Well when the dragon snapped your bones, I lost control and ended up destroying everything and everyone in the village including the dragon".

You stare down at the ground, stunned by Baekhyun's revelation.

"But why did you destroy the village?" you ask.

Baekhyun grins, "Well, we were trying to kill the dragon."

"True that."

The dragon's maw opens wider, revealing rows of jagged teeth.

"I'm sorry," you say.

"I guess it's just us three now." the dragon replies.

 

"Yes, yes it is". Baekhyun says as she pats the dragon on the neck.