Everything Goes On (Ryuryeong)

Song Stories- Feat. ITZY

Song: Everything Goes On (Porter Robinson)

Link: https://youtu.be/dQW1I87F7ps

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Chaeryeong… Chaeryeong…” A random voice called out for her. Chaeryeong opened her eyes and found herself in an open space. All she could see was white with light fog as her surroundings. She walked around in the space to find something… anything. Suddenly, a figure appeared in front of her, startling the girl. “Chaeryeong.” The figure spoke. Chaeryeong walked closer to the figure and tried to make out the face but for some reason, it was blurred out.

 

“Chaeryeong… I miss you.”

 

“W-Who are you?”

 

“Chaeryeong… I’m sorry. I couldn’t keep my promise to you.” Suddenly, the figure started to fade away.

 

“Wait! Don’t go! What promise? Come back!”

 

Chaeryeong woke up all of sudden. She quickly sat up on her bed, breathing heavily. She looked around and saw that she was back in her room. She sighed, “What the heck was that dream about?” She rubbed her eyes, only to realize that she has been crying. She sat in her bed in a while, trying to recollect her dream until a knock interrupted her thought. 

 

“Chaeyoung! Are you up? It’s time to go to school.”

 

“I’ll be there in a moment, Yeji-unnie!” Chaeryeong quickly got off of her bed and went into the bathroom. She brushed her teeth and washed her face. As she dried off her face, she saw her scar on her forehead. Then she remembered the day of the hospital.

 

Chaeryeong opened her eyes to find herself in a hospital room. She was surrounded by beeps from a machine and IV bags were attached to her arm. “Where am I?” 

 

Suddenly, three people came into her room. “Oh my god, Chaeryeong!” One of them, a middle age woman, came running into the room and hugged her. “Oh my god! You’re awake! You’re finally awake. I was so worried about you.” 

 

The woman hugged her but Chaeryeong pushed her off with all her strength. Well as much strength as she had. “I-I am so sorry but who are you?”

 

The woman gasped. “C-Chaeryeong. It’s me, your mom. Don’t you remember?” Chaeryeong shook her head. She turned to her head to her husband. “Honey! Call the doctor quick.” The husband nodded and went to get the next available doctor.

 

After running some tests, the doctor has stated that Chaeryeong is suffering from amnesia. The doctor suggested to slowly help her remember from her life before. Starting with family and then friends. However, she suggested not to mention the accident or… her. At least for now. It could cause her to go into shock and she might cause Chaeryeong amnesia again. Her parents understood and they were allowed to take her back home.

 

After the hospital, her parents told Lia, Yeji and Yuna to not mention her for Chaeryeong’s safety. They may talk about her in the future but they don’t know when it will be a good time. They agreed. They even help with hiding or deleting any photos of her.

 

It took a while for Chaeryeong to regain her memories of her family, friends and her previous life. However, the others knew a void was occupying their life as time went on without Chaeryeong knowing of this void.

 

Chaeryeong sighed again. “It took two years but I managed.” She took out her phone and looked at her wallpaper. A picture of her, Lia, Yeji and Yuna together. She smiled, “I’m glad to have friends by my side.”

 

“Chaeryeong! Hurry up or I’m leaving you!” 

 

“I’m sorry! I’ll get dressed real quick!” Chaeryeong exited the bathroom and quickly got dressed. She grabbed her backpack and met Yeji in the living room. They both exited their apartment, went into Yeji’s car and drove off to school.

 

Yeji parked their car and they got out of it. Soon, they heard someone screaming their name. “Yeji unnie! Chaeryeong unnie!” Chaeryeong turned her head only to be met with a glomp by the taller girl. “Chaeryeong unnie!~” She pulled her into a tight hug

 

“Yuna! I know you’re excited to start your first day of college with us but for the love of god, stop suffocating me!” Yuna ignored her and kept on hugging her while a giggling Lia followed behind.

 

“Alright, alright Yuna. Let her go. She’s gonna pass out if you keep her in that chokehold.”

 

Yuna pouted, “Alright Lia unnie.” She let go of her and Chaeryeong took a deep breath of air.

 

“Thanks, Lia unnie.” 

 

“No problem Chaeryeong.” Lia turned her attention to Yeji and smiled. She walked over and gave her a small peck on the lips. “Good morning my love.”

 

Yeji wrapped her arms around Lia’s waist and pulled her closer. “Good morning to you my sweet.” 

 

“Hey no PDA while the young one is here.” Chaeryeong said as she covered Yuna’s eyes.

 

“But unnieeeee, they’ve been together for a year now. I’ve seen them kiss plenty of times. Especially whenever Yeji comes over and kisses her right away when she comes into the apartment.”

 

Chaeryeong gasped and pulled the taller girl into her arms. “Oh god, your poor eyes!”

 

Yuna laughed, “You mean my poor single eyes.”

 

Yeji rolled her eyes, “Alright you two enough jokes. We gotta go to class.” The two girls nodded and all of them went into school and on their day.

 

It was the end of the school day. Yeji, Lia and Yuna were waiting at the door of Chaeryeong’s last class for the day. As the school bell rang, there was a rush of students trying to get home. From the rushing crowd, Chaeryeong popped up. “Oh hey guys!” Chaeryeong walked up to them and gave each of them a hug.

 

“Ready to go? We're going to the cafe near the school and get some drinks.” Yeji said.

 

Chaeryeong groaned, “I’m sorry but I have to do some paperwork for the dance club. For some god damn reason, they lost our registration and I have to fill all that today.”

 

“Ouch sorry to hear that Ms. President of the dance club.” Lia said.

 

“It’s okay. But I’ll probably take the bus to the apartment so don’t wait for me, okay?” The girls nodded and went their separate ways.

 

As Chaeryeong was making her way down the halls, a male student bumped into her and made her books fall down. “Hey! Watch where you are going idiot.” Him and his friends as they left Chaeryeong. She rolled her eyes and bent down to pick up her books.

 

Suddenly, another student bent down and helped Chaeryeong with her books. “Those boys are idiots for leaving you hanging.” Chaeryeong paused and slowly looked up, her eyes meeting with the eyes of a beautiful girl with long raven hair. She smiled which made Chaeryeong slightly blushed. “Hi, I’m Joanne. Joanne Shin.”

 

“I’m Chaeryeong Lee.” After gathering her books, Chaeryeong and Joanne stood up, Chaeryeong looked at Joanne who was still smiling at her. “Are you new? I haven’t seen you around before.”

 

Joanne nodded, “I transfer from the US.”

 

Chaeryeong's eyes widened. “Wow! The US? You must be very smart.” Joanne giggled as she received the compliment. Chaeryeong looked at her watch and gasped. “Oh no! I’m sorry I would talk to you more but I have important paperwork to fill out and the club office will close soon and just- gotta go!” Chaeryeong left Joanne and ran down the hall.

 

After an hour of doing paperwork, Chaeryeong left the school and went toward the entrance. There, she saw Joanne standing, looking like she was waiting for her. She walked up to her, “Hey Joanne. I thought you would be home by now. It’s late.”

 

“Yeah well,” she put her hands behind her neck, “it is getting dark and a pretty girl like you shouldn’t be walking home by yourself.”

 

Chaeryeong blushed at the comment. “I-It’s okay. I was going to take the bus home.”

 

Joanne shrugged, “Still, the nearest bus stop is a bit far from here. So let me walk you there, okay?” Chaeryeong nodded and both girls left the school.

 

As they were walking and chatting their way to the bus stop, Chaeryeong spotted a small tteokbokki shop on the way. Her stomach growled and Joanne heard her and giggled. “Are you hungry? Let’s get something to eat.” Chaeryeong nodded and the two girls walked toward the shop.

 

“I’ll order for the both of us.” Chaeryeong said as they stopped at the entrance. “What would you like to eat?”

 

“Just the regular tteokbokki. Extra spicy please.” Chaeryeong smiled and went inside to order their food while Joanne just waited outside. 

 

After ordering and paying for their food, Chaeryeong came out holding their meal and the girls decided to sit on the curb by the shop. They both thanked for their food and started eating. As they ate and sat in silence on the peaceful night, Chaeryeong couldn’t help herself but felt an ache in heart. Like she did this before with someone special in her life. She looked at Joanne who was happily eating her tteokbokki. Joanne saw Chaeryeong staring at her. She giggled and offered some of her food. Chaeryeong shook her head. “I’m not a big fan of spicy food.”

 

“Oh.” Joanne took her food back and took a happy bite. “I really love spicy food. I always say ‘if I don’t shed a tear then it’s not spicy enough.’” She giggled.

 

Suddenly, a bad headache came to  Chaeryeong’s head. She grunted as she held her head. Joanne saw this and put down her food, grabbing Chaeryeong’s shoulders. “Chaeryeong! Are you okay?”

 

Chaeryeong was breathing heavily. Her head was pulsing very hard making it hard for her to think straight. Suddenly, a memory flashed in her head.

 

“______ , why do you always eat extra spicy tteokbokki?”

 

“Because I always say ‘if I don’t shed a tear then it’s not spicy enough.’”

 

The memory went away and so did her head. Chaeryeong took a deep breath and looked up to see Joanne, worriness was shown in her eyes. “What happened?” Joanne asked.

 

“I don’t know… my head started hurting really bad and I just had a random memory about something… when you said that thing about spicy food.”

 

Joanne just hummed in acknowledgment. Then she stood up and reached her hand. “Come on, I think you’re tired. Let’s get you to the bus station. You should rest.” Chaeryeong nodded and took Joanne’s hand, leading her to the bus station safely.

 

When they arrived at the bus station, the bus came at the same time. Before she hopped on, she let go of Joanne’s hand and turned to her, smiling at her. “Thank you for taking me here. I hope I didn’t scare you earlier.”

 

Joanne shook her head, “It’s okay. I just wanted to make sure you’re okay.” 

 

“Are you going on as well?”

 

“Nope.” Joanne pointed down the street, “I don’t live too far from here so I’ll be okay. Just make sure you rest a lot okay?” Chaeryeong nodded and waved goodbye to Joanne as she hopped onto the bus. Joanne stood there until the bus left and walked away.

 

Chaeryeong unlocked the door of the apartment and saw that Yeji was watching a show in the living room. “I’m home.”

 

Yeji looked over and waved at Chaeryeong. “Welcome home. I was starting to worry if you ever made it back home.”

 

Chaeryeong giggled. “Don’t worry. I made a new friend on the way to do paperwork. She walked with me to the bus station.” She lifted her bag of tteokbokki, “We ate some tteokbokki on the way so you can have this tomorrow.”

 

“Yessssss thanks Chaeryeong! You’re the best.” Chaeryeong smiled and went her way to her bedroom. 

 

As Chaeryeong left, Yeji’s phone rang. She saw the caller ID and picked up the phone. “Hey Lia. What’s up?”

 

“Hey…” Lia toned wasn’t her usual happy tone so it concerned Yeji.

 

“What’s wrong, babe?”

 

“So I’ve been thinking… you know how ‘that thing’ is coming up soon… in a few days.”

 

“Yeah…” Yeji's heart sank as she remembered what day was coming up.

 

“I think it’s time to tell Chaeryeong.”

 

“What?!” Yeji sat up straight. “A-Are you sure? You think she can handle it? What happens if she goes into shock and forgets everything again?” A million questions were running through Yeji’s mind.

 

“Baby calm down.” Lia said through the phone, trying to reassure her girlfriend. “I talked to her parents earlier and they think it’s best to do it. It’ll be three years since… that. And if she forgets everything again, we will be there to help remember again. Even if it takes years again, we will be there for her.” Lia sighed, “She needs to know Yeji. We can’t keep it from her forever.”

 

“I know.” Yeji pinched the bridge of her nose, “I still think it’s too soon. But… she has the right to know. It’s hard to keep it from her.” Yeji sighed, “We will talk to her in two days. Gather all the photos.”

 

“Okay… bye my love.”

 

“Bye Lia.” Yeji hung up the phone and tossed it to the side. Tears started rolling down her cheeks. “I can’t believe it’ll be three years already. It still feels like we just lost you…”

  • ~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

“Chaeryeong… Chaeryeong…” There it is again. The random voice calling for her. Except she knew who it was. It was Joanne. Chaeryeong opened her eyes and she found herself in space again. She looked and saw Joanne in front of her, a sad smile on her face as they looked at each.

 

“Joanne…” 

 

However, she shook her head. “That’s not my name…”

 

“B-But, I saw you earlier. I met you earlier. Your name is Joanne.”

 

She shook her head again. “I miss you… I hope you can remember me soon.” Then, the fog came in and consumed Joanne.

 

“W-wait! Come back! What do you mean by that? I just met you!”

 

Chaeryeong woke up all of sudden again. She quickly sat up in bed, tears rolling down her cheeks again. She rubbed her eyes and sighed, “That dream again… but it’s different.” 

 

A knock was heard on her door. “Let’s go, Chaeryeong. I have early classes today.”

 

“Okay, I’ll be there in a moment, unnie!” She stretched and got off the bed. She did her daily routine, changed into her clothes, grabbed her backpack and headed out with Yeji.

 

Chaeryeong walked around the halls as she didn’t have any classes until later in the day. She was walking around the music department, listening to the students who were playing their instruments or singing their hearts out. Music was a way for Chaeryeong to escape any stress that followed her. 

 

As she passed by the rooms, one room in particular caught her attention when she heard a familiar voice singing. She peaked inside and saw that Joanne was singing her heart out. She listened to the lyrics.

 

But if I was gone tomorrow,

won't the waves crash on?

Is it selfish that I'm happy as

we pass the setting sun?

Someday I'll be overcast, but

you won't have to cry

Cause we'll do the grieving

while I’m by your side

 

Suddenly, another terrible headache rushed into Chaeryeong’s head as she heard Joanne sing. “Ahhhhhhh! W-what the hell is happening to me?” Another memory flashed into her head.

 

The person in front of her finished singing and Chaeryeong clapped happily for her. “Wow, R____n, you sing so beautifully. You’re so talented.”

 

She blushed as she received the compliment. “It’s nothing but I’m glad you like it. Because,” she approached Chaeryeong and held her hand. “I’ll sing for you anytime.”

 

Her eyes widened. “R-Really? Anytime I want?”

 

She nodded. “Of course. I’ll sing for you when you’re sad. I’ll sing for you when you’re happy. I’ll sing when you want to celebrate something. Because,” she kissed the back of Chaeryeong’s hand, “my voice is meant for you.”

 

Chaeryeong yelled in pain before proceeding to faint onto the ground. She slowly closed her eyes, her consciousness slipping away with each passing second. Before it went dark, all she remembered was Joanne running toward her. “Chaeryeong… Chaeryeong!”

 

“J-Joanne…” Her mind went dark.

 

Chaeryeong slowly opened her eyes and blinked a couple times. She looked around her environment and realized that she’s at the nurse’s room. She slowly sat up and groaned, the pain in her head was still there but it wasn’t as bad as before she passed out. The nurse came in and checked on Chaeryeong. “Looks like you're finally awake.” She smiled at Chaeryeong.

 

Chaeryeong looked at the nurse in confusion. “H-How did I get here?” She asked.

 

“A random student said she found you lying on the ground, being unresponsive so she quickly got you here. You massive had a big fall or something because you were out for a couple hours.”

 

“Hours?!” The nurse nodded and went back to check some paperwork. Chaeryeong saw her stuff by her bedside and went over to take out her phone. She dialed a number and it rang until someone picked up.

 

“Hey, Chae. What’s up?”

 

“H-Hey, Yeji-unnie. Please don’t freak out but I’m in the uh… nurse’s office.”

 

There was a moment of silence. “WHAT?!” 

 

“Yeji unnie please calm down.”

 

“How can you expect me to calm down when you tell me this?! I’m coming over right now. I’m calling Lia and Yuna.” Yeji hung up the phone and Chaeryeong sighed.

 

“Sounds like your friend is very concerned for your well-being.” The nurse commented as she chuckled. “Like a mom.”

 

Chaeryeong smiled a bit. “Yeah. She and my other friends are protective of me. Especially two years ago.”

 

“Really?” The nurse turned to Chaeryeong, “Tell me what happened two years ago?”

 

“Well, I woke up in the hospital with no memories. The doctor told me I suffer from amnesia due to an accident I had. They refused to tell me the accident because it might trigger something and I might go into shock. So no one told me about the accident, not even my own family and friends. I didn’t ask, especially when they were trying really hard to help me remember some important stuff in my life. So since then, my friends have been very protective of me. Helping me and protecting me from anything.”

 

“Sounds like good friends to have.”

 

She chuckled, “They’re amazing. Sometimes they get on my nerves sometimes but I wouldn’t replace them for anything in the world. I feel like I would be lost without them.”

 

The nurse smiled. “Well, until they arrive. You should rest. Maybe it’s a good idea for you to go home when they come. Seems like a bad faint attack.” Chaeryeong nodded and rested back into bed.

 

A few moments later, Yeji slammed the door wide open. “HOLY , CHAERYEONG!” Yeji rushed to Chaeryeong’s side and hugged her tightly while Lia and Yuna followed behind. Chaeryeong is thankful that the nurse left because Yeji would be getting a scolding from her for cursing. “Are you okay my baby?”

 

“I thought I was your baby.” Lia said

 

“I thought I was the baby.” Yuna said.

 

Both of them received smacks from Yeji. “Now is not the time for jokes, you two!” Yeji turned her attention to Chaeryeong. “Are you okay? What happened?” Yeji was fighting back tears and Chaeryeong saw this. She smiled and pulled Yeji into a hug.

 

“I’m okay, Yeji unnie. Nurse told me I had a faint attack. I passed out earlier.”

 

“But but, how?”

 

“I don’t know. I was just walking around and I found my friend singing a song. But for some reason, her singing voice reminded me of someone… like I’ve met her before.” 

 

Yeji looked at Chaeryeong with concern. “W-Who? Who does she remind you of?”

 

Chaeryeong shook her head. “I’m not sure. But for some reason, it seemed like she was someone special in my life. Because a random memory came into my mind, a girl saying that she’ll sing for me anytime.”

 

Yeji stared at Chaeryeong for a moment. Then she exchanged looks with Lia and Yuna, all of them with concerned looks on their faces. “What’s going on? You guys keep looking at each other?”

 

Yeji sighed and looked into Chaeryeong’s eyes. “Look, there's something we wanted to tell you but we weren’t sure if you’re ready.”

 

“Is it about the accident?” Yeji nodded, “Okay? What happened?”

 

Yeji shook her head. “Not now. We’ll talk about it tomorrow.”

 

“But why not now? It’s clearly important.”

 

Yeji crossed her arms, “Chae you just suffer from a faint attack. You need to rest, especially since you need to prepare… mentally.” Yeji gave her another hug before leaving her. “I’ll pick you up when I’m done with my last class. Then we’ll go home and you’ll rest. Text me if you need anything okay?”

 

“Okay, unnie.” Yeji smiled and left the room, Lia and Yuna followed behind.

 

Chaeryeong rested back in her bed. She stared at the ceiling until she heard the door open again. Must be the nurse. Chaeryeong was about to close her eyes when she felt a presence beside her. She turned to the side and saw Joanne, with a worried look on her face. She suddenly sat up from her bed, “J-Joanne, what are you doing here?”

 

“I was worried about you.” She sat at the edge of Chaeryeong’s bed. “Are you okay?”

 

“Yeah… I’m going home after my friend is done with her class.”

 

She pouted, “So no tteokbokki today?”

 

Chaeryeong giggled as she saw Joanne's pouty face. “Maybe in a couple days. Okay?”

 

Joanne happily jumped off at the bed and turned to Chaeryeong, “Okay! I’ll hold it to you.” Then she showed her biggest smile, showing off her dimple whiskers.

 

Chaeryeong’s eyes widened as she saw her dimples. “Y-your dimples…” the same headache came back and she was groaning in pain. Another memory flashed into her head.

 

The person showed off her big smile and pointed at her dimples. “See. I have special whiskers as dimples.” She giggled.

 

“Woahhhh that’s so cute! I hope I get to see them often. They’re so unique!” Chaeryeong said.

 

“You’ll see them often. Because you know why?” The person came in closer and smiled wide again, “It’s because I love you, Chaeryeong.”

 

The memory ended, resulting in Chaeryeong panting hard, gasping for air. Joanne got closer to Chaeryeong. “Are you okay, Chae-”

 

“I’m having these headaches because of you, Joanne!” Chaeryeong looked at Joanne, anger within her eyes. “You’re the one doing this to me! I don’t know why but when you do certain things, it gives me random memories and I see you but then not at the same time… and my dreams and I’m just GAH!” Chaeryeong put her head down, her hands holding her for support.

 

Joanne just stood there in shock. “C-Chaeryeong I’m sorry. I didn’t know I was affecting you that much…”

 

There was a moment of silence between the girls. Then, Chaeryeong spoke up. “Please… just leave me alone, Joanne. I’m too tired.”

 

Joanne nodded and stood up. “I’m sorry…” she apologized one more time before leaving the nurse’s room.

 

Chaeryeong laid back again and covered her eyes. Tears were rolling down her face, “What the hell is wrong with me?”

 

Yeji was done with her class. She stopped by the nurse’s room and picked up Chaeryeong. The girls went into Yeji’s car and drove home, none of them speaking on the ride back. Yeji knew something was on Chaeryeong’s mind but she didn’t push her to talk. When they arrived home, Chaeryeong took off her shoes and immediately went into her room and locked it, not saying a single word to Yeji.

 

Yeji sighed, “I really hope she’ll be okay for tomorrow.” Yeji went into her own room and rested in her bed.

  • ~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

“Chaeryeong… Chaeryeong…” She knew who the voice was coming from now. Chaeryeong opened her eyes and she was in space once again. Only this time, she immediately saw Joanne in front of her again. She had a sad expression on her face.

 

“I’m sorry for yelling at you. I didn’t mean it… but please tell me… who are you really?”

 

She just shook her head. “Does it matter? I miss you so much but after all these years… I broke my promise. I’m sorry.” She turned her body and started running away from Chaeryeong.

 

“Wait! Come back!” Chaeryeong started chasing after her. But the more she ran, the further Joanne became. She dropped to the ground when she saw her disappear into nothingness. Chaeryeong started to cry, “Please tell me who you are? What promise did you break?”

 

For the first time in a while, Chaeyoung didn’t wake up in a panic. She opened her eyes and she slowly sat up from her bed. She rubbed her eyes to wipe her tears away. “She’s not coming back…” A knock was heard at her door.

 

“Chaeryeong, are you awake?” Chaeryeong got up from her bed and opened the door to see Yeji. “Are you feeling better?” Chaeryeong nodded. “Good good. Uh, get ready for school. And after your last class, we’re going straight here. And remember, Lia, Yuna, and I wanted to tell you something important.

 

“Okay, unnie.” Chaeryeong closed her door and did her daily routine, changed into clothes and grabbed her backpack. She met with Yeji in the living room and the girls went to the car. They drove to school, still not speaking to each other. When they arrived at school, Yeji and Chaeryeong said their goodbyes and went off to their classes.

 

As the day went by, Chaeryeong realized that she hadn't run into Joanne once throughout the day. Maybe she’s mad at me for yelling at her… The thought distracted her, making her lose her focus in her classes.

 

After her last class, she walked outside the room and she saw that Yeji, Lia and Yuna were waiting for her. She slowly approached the girls. “I’m ready to go.” The girls understood and they all went to Yeji’s car. All of them got in and they drove off toward Yeji and Chaeryeong’s apartment. Like this morning, there was no talking and the girls sat there in silence.

 

When they arrived, Yeji led them into the living room. Chaeryeong sat on the couch while Yeji, Lia and Yuna sat opposite of her. Yeji took a big sigh before speaking. “Chaeryeong, I think it’s time to tell you the truth. About the accident and everything.”

 

Chaeryeong sat there, fiddling her hands to calm her nerves. “So what happened?”

 

Yeji took a deep breath. “You were in a bad car accident. A drunk driver hit you and you were badly injured. Luckily, you survived but you suffer really bad amnesia and it took years for your family and for us to help you regain your memories. However, in doing so, we kept something hidden for a long time. Because we were worried you would go into shock and forget us again.” 

 

“What do you mean?”

 

Yeji tried to continue but tears started to fall down her cheeks and she started to cry uncontrollably. Lia hugged her and patted her back. “It’s okay. I can explain the rest.”

 

“T-Thank you Lia.” Yeji said in between sobs.

 

Lia looked at Chaeryeong and sighed. “You weren’t alone in that car accident.”

 

Chaeryeong’s eyes widened. “I-I wasn’t?”

 

Lia shook her head. “You were with someone… someone who was dear in our hearts… especially yours.” Lia reached into her back pocket and pulled out a folded picture. She stood up and gave it to Chaeryeong.

 

Chaeryeong looked at her friends and they all nodded in approval. Chaeryeong took a deep breath and unfolded the picture. Her eyes went big as she saw the photo in her. It was a pic of them: her, Lia, Yeji, Yuna… and Joanne. Chaeryeong couldn’t believe her eyes. Joanne was in the picture with them. “I-It’s Joanne.”

 

“Joanne? Unnie, that’s not her name.” Yuna said.

 

“But that is Joanne! I saw her yesterday, and the day before. We got tteokbokki together and she walked me to the bus stop. She was the one who sang in the room before I passed out!” Chaeryeong explained, trying to fight back her tears

 

“But that’s impossible, unnie. And her name is not Joanne… her name is Ryujin.” 

 

“R-Ryujin?”

 

“Yes, Chaeryeong.” Yeji spoke up, “Ryujin Shin. A dear friend of ours and… your girlfriend.”

 

Chaeryeong covered , in shock as she heard the truth. “My… girlfriend…”

 

Lia nodded, “And unfortunately, Ryujin died in that accident. She was dead on impact from the car accident. She… couldn’t be saved.” Lia sighed, “Tomorrow will marked her 3rd death anniversary date.”

 

Chaeryeong couldn’t believe what she’s hearing and seeing. She looked at the photo again. Ryujin and her were close in the photo, both smiling their hearts out. She couldn’t help but sob uncontrollably. Then, she did the unthinkable.

 

She quickly got up from the couch and ran toward the door. Chaeryeong ran away from the apartment, leaving the girls stunned.

 

“Yeji! She ran off without shoes! We need to find her!” Lia shouted.

 

“Okay okay! Let’s find her quickly before she gets hurt!” Yeji, Lia and Yuna got their shoes on and quickly went to Yeji’s car and drove off, in search of her friend.

 

Chaeryoung didn’t know how long or how far she was running but that didn’t matter to her. Her friends kept a big secret from her and to find out that Joanne is actually Ryujin who actually died years ago. Chaeryeong couldn’t process it so that’s why she ran off.

 

Suddenly she collapsed onto the sideway from exhaustion. She was breathing heavily, gasping for air to keep her alive. Then, a massive headache came into her head and she screamed in pain. This headache was the worst of it all. A memory came into her mind. The memory of the accident…

 

Ryujin was driving her and Chaeryeong to their date at the beach. One hand on the wheel while the other hand was interlaced sign Chaeryoung’s hand. Ryujin looked at her beautiful girlfriend and couldn’t help but feel lucky to have her by her side.

 

Chaeryeong saw Ryujin looking at her and smiled. “Shouldn’t you be focusing on the road?”

 

Ryujin giggled, “I can multitask. I can look at the road while looking at my beautiful girlfriend. My one and only love.”

 

“Oh you’re so cheesy.” Suddenly, a dark thought clouded Chaeryoung’s mind, “But do you really mean it? Do you really mean it when you say I’m beautiful?”

 

“Are the kids picking on you again?” Chaeryeong nodded and Ryujin clicked her tongue. “Those idiots need to learn some respect and get their eyes checked. Because to me, you’re beautiful. You’re gorgeous. And most of all, you’re my light in my life.”

 

“Really? You mean it?” Ryujin nodded to assure her girlfriend. “So you won’t leave me?”

 

Ryujin shook her head. They stopped at a red light. Ryujin turned her head and wrapped both hands onto Chaeryoung’s hand. “Chaeryoung Lee. My love. My jagi. I promise to love you until the end and I promise to never leave your side.” Then she kissed her on the lips.

 

Chaeryeong kissed back. They kissed until the light turned green. They broke off the kiss. “I love you, Ryujin Shin.”

 

“I love you too, Chae-” It happened in a flash. A car crashed into Ryujin’s side and they were sent flying. Chaeryeong opened her eyes and saw the mess of the accident. They were flipped upside down, parts of the car inside and outside. Chaeryeong looked at her side and her eyes widened to see Ryujin covered in blood. “Ryujin…” There was no response. Chaeryeong’s hand was still intertwined with Ryujin’s hand. She shook her, “Ryujin! Please wake up!” But there was still no response. “Ryujin! Ryujin! Ryu-” Chaeryeong suddenly out as her conscience fell.

 

Chaeryeong was panting hard. The memory ended and the headache subsided. She looked toward the ground and started crying again. Tears marking the places where they fell upon. “I can’t believe I forgot about you…”

 

Then, she stood up and looked at her side. She realized that she ran herself to the beach. The place where she was supposed to have her date with Ryujin. The place where she was supposed to add another happy memory with Ryujin. The place where she could be in Ryujin’s arms as they saw the sunset together.

 

Suddenly, she saw a lonely figure, standing there as the waves came and went. Her eyes widened as she saw who it was. She quickly ran toward the shore and shouted. “Ryujin!” When she reached the shore, she caught her breath and looked up. Her back was turned against Chaeryoung as she watched the sunset. Chaeryeong took another deep breath. “Ryujin Shin!”

 

Ryujin slowly turned her body around and there, time seemed like it stopped. Chaeryeong couldn’t believe her eyes. Right in front of her was her girlfriend who died in the accident years ago. Ryujin looked at Chaeryeong and smiled. “You finally remembered my name.”

 

Tears started to fall again from Chaeryeong’s eyes. “I finally remembered. My memories… the accident… they came back.”

 

“Please don’t be mad at the others. They only wanted to protect you. They were worried for you.”

 

“That doesn’t matter! How can they let me forget my own girlfriend!”

 

Ryujin couldn’t help but smile widely at Chaeryeong. Her dimple whiskers showed up on her face. But soon, her expression fell, “But it also doesn’t matter if you remembered or not, I broke my promise to you.”

 

“You mean two promises.”

 

Ryujin looked at her in confusion. “What do you mean?”

 

Chaeryeong stared at Ryujin. “I remember what you said to me before the accident. You promised me that you’ll love me to the end. You promised me that you’ll never leave my side. You broke both of them!”

 

Ryujin smiled again. “Chaeryeong, I only broke one of them.” Ryujin came closer toward Chaeryeong. “I broke the promise where I’ll love you in the end. I’m sorry that I couldn't be here right now with you but I never broke my promise of leaving your side.”

 

“How?”

 

Ryujin took a deep breath, “When I died, I saw the light. And I was met with God before my eyes. She allowed me to grant one wish before I leave for the world. You know what that wish is?”

 

Chaeryeong shook her head. “What is it?”

 

Ryujin smiled again. “I wished that I could watch over you until you remembered me again. It took a while but it was worth it in the end. Because I know you remembered me now and I can rest easy.”

 

“So… you’ve been watching me all this time? Until I regained my memories.”

 

“Not just you. I also checked up on Lia unnie and Yeji unnie and Yuna. I checked up on all of you guys and watched you all grow. Heck, I was happy when Yeji finally confessed her love for Lia and saw them get together as a couple. I’ve been pushing her even when I was alive.”

 

Chaeryeong giggled, “Yeah that was a long overdue confession.”

 

Ryujin laughed. “But most of all, I watched over you the most. I watched you succeed in physical therapy. I watched you succeed in remembering your family. I watched you succeed in remembering our close friends. But most of all, I watched you remember me, finally.”

 

“But how? How are you able to be here now? With me?”

 

“God granted me to be able to take a physical form but only a few days before my death anniversary. I wasn’t allowed to reveal my true name to you until you’re able to remember me. Well I cheated a bit and went into your dreams.”

 

“You mean my nightmares? You made me wake up in panic every time.” Chaeryeong said as she crossed her arms.

 

“I’m sorry but that was a sure way you’ll be able to remember me. Or try to. And me doing my usual habits was a way too.” Ryujin wrapped her hand around Chaeryeong’s waist and put her forehead on hers. “I’m sorry to cause you trouble but I really mean it when I said I miss you. I really kept my promise when I said I’ll never leave your side.”

 

Chaeryeong put her hand on Ryujin’s cheeks. “Yes you did. And I’m glad you did. Because of you and your hard work, I was able to remember you. Ryujin Shin, my one and only love. My jagi. My girlfriend.” Then she leaned in and gave Ryujin a kiss. Ryujin kissed back and it was pure bliss for the two girls. A feeling that was lost years ago but brought back for this moment.

 

The girls broke off the eyes and stared into each other’s eyes. Ryujin smiled and sang a song. 

 

Don't try to make yourself

remember, darling

Don't look for me, I'm just a

story you've been told

So let's pretend a little longer

And when we're gone, ah

Everything goes on

 

Chaeryeong smiled as she finished. “I miss your singing voice.” She said as she hugged Ryujin close to her.

 

Ryujin smiled, “I know.” Ryujin tightens the hug. The girls stood there for a moment. The sun finally set and night came, it was a perfect moment for them.

 

Suddenly they hear shouting. “Chaeryeong!” The girls broke the hug and saw that Lia, Yeji, and Yuna were running towards them.

 

“We’re coming to save you! Get away from that random stran-” Yeji stopped on her tracks and covered . Lia and Yuna saw and their eyes widened. All of them were seeing the same person: Ryujin in the flesh.

 

Ryujin smiled. “Hey girls. It’s been a while.”

 

The girls had tears in their eyes. “Ryujin unnie… is that… really you?”

 

Ryujin walked over and gave each of them a hug. “Yes it’s me.”

 

“But how?” Lia asked.

 

“It’s a long story. But I can’t tell right now.”

 

“But why?” Yeji asked.

 

“Ryujin, your feet! They’re disappearing!” Chaeryeong shouted as she saw that Ryujin’s legs and feet were slowly disappearing.

 

“I see it’s my time to go to the afterworld. I fulfilled my wish.” 

 

Ryujin smiled and she looked at the girls. “I’m sorry for leaving again. But I’m so happy that all of you have grown into wonderful people.” She started at Yeji, “I’m happy to see that you and Lia unnie finally got together. At least I don’t have to worry about you anymore. Take care of her.”

 

Yeji nodded as tears fell to her face, “I will, Ryuddaeng.”

 

Then, Ryujin looked at Lia, “Please, take care of Yeji unnie as well Lia unnie. She deserves all the love from you. And keep working hard toward your fashion passion.”

 

Lia nodded as she wiped her tears, “I will, Ryujin.”

 

Ryujin looked at Yuna, “My other Shin. I’m sorry to not see you graduate from college but I know you’ll succeed and become big in the world.”

 

Yuna was sobbing uncontrollably, “Thank you Ryujin unnie.”

 

Finally, Ryujin turned around and faced Chaeryeong. There was a moment of silence between the girls. “Chaeryoung Lee. I’m sorry to leave you again. Now I am breaking the two promises I made. But I promise that I will love you until your time comes.” Ryujin came closer to her, “Because I will forever live here…” Ryujin pointed at Chaeryeong’s heart, “and here.” Ryujin pointed at Chaeryeong’s head. “As long as you remember me, then you’ll remember my love for you.”

 

Chaeryeong pulled Ryujin into one last hug. “I love you Ryujin Shin.”

 

Ryujin rested her head onto Chaeryeong’s shoulder and hugged her tightly. “I love you too, Chaeryeong Lee. Forever and always.” They girls hugged until Ryujin completely disappeared.

 

Chaeryeong fell down to her knees into the sand. The other girls went up to her. “Chaeryeong?” Yeji spoke.

 

Chaeryeong turned her head, her face filled with happy tears and a smile that her friends haven’t seen in while. “Thank you girls. Thank you for helping me remember her.”

 

The girls pulled in for a group hug. “No problem Chaeryeong.” After their group hug, Yeji squatted down and offered her back to Chaeryeong. “Let’s go home. You forgot to wear shoes so get on my back.” Chaeryeong nodded and hopped onto Yeji’s back. She stood up and all of them headed toward Yeji’s car.

  • ~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

The next day was the 3rd anniversary of the death of Ryujin. The girls went to visit Ryujin’s grave, Chaeryeong’s first time visiting her grave since the accident.

 

All of them stood in front of Ryujin’s grave. Yeji dusted off her tombstone, Yuna watered her grave and Lia placed gifts after Yuna was done while Chaeryeong was standing in the back. All of them closed their eyes and took a moment of silence for prayer. When they were done, the three girls left Chaeryeong to be alone with Ryujin. 

 

Chaeryeong approached the grave and she cried. “I’m sorry for being late for three years. It took me a while to regain my memories. But I hope it was worth it the wait because I’m here now.” Chaeryeong kneeled down. “I’ll be honest. I don’t know if I’ll find love again. You were my first love and my only love. If I find someone else,

I’ll come here and let you know but I know it’ll be a while before that time comes. Maybe never. But I promise that every weekend I will clean your tombstone and visit you. The girls and I will come and visit on your birthday and of course, we will come each anniversary of your death to pay our respects.”

 

Chaeryeong stood up and wiped her tears away. She smiled, “You may be gone in our lives but you will always live on in my heart and my mind as long as I remember. Because like you sang..”

 

“Everything goes on…”

 

——————————————————————————————————————————

 

A/N: Hello everyone! I hope you all enjoy this first chapter of the song stories. I love Porter Robison and his newest song inspired me to write this story. Ngl… I almost cried writing the ending because I’m not used to writing these types of stuff. Nonetheless hope you guys like it and look forward to more one shots.