The 'Worth It' and the 'Bonus'

I volunteer!

 

“I can’t believe you would pull up something like that, Winter-ah hahahahaha!” Ryujin teased as soon as she arrived at their table. Her other two friends, Ningning and Yuna also cannot help but to let out loud chuckles. She can even see Ningning tapping the table furiously as she laughs, a clear indication that what they witnessed on their last period has overjoyed the hell out of her. Winter cannot help but to just pout as she continues to play with her food, she’s really not in the mood to eat. Just by thinking that she will be in front of the whole school body doing things she never imagined she’ll ever do, might as well just throw up at the moment. Not to mention she will be paired with the guy whom she despised the most on the campus. 

 

 

Lee Jeno.

 

 

Karina’s admirer but NOT her suitor. She finds herself stressing that one fact. The girl has many admirers but her suitor is only her, Winter Kim. She hates to brag but Karina only allows her to court her after much pestering of course - that she cannot deny. The girl might just be allowing her in order for Winter to stop her continuous attempts to flutter her heart with her cheesy actions but at least she has achieved her goal without any underhanded tactics unlike someone whom she mentioned a while ago. 

 

Who in their right minds would hold a girl’s hand without her permission? Will walk a girl home despite her incessant ‘No’? Winter is surely hard-headed when it comes to Karina but she respects the girl. If the girl says ‘No’... for the third time, she will immediately stop. She lets the girl know about that made up rule of hers and so far so bad. 


 

 

______

 

 

“It’s holiday tomorrow, my honey bunch, sugar punch, pum—” she informed playfully while smiling brightly  upon sitting across from Karina on one of the library's study tables. 

 

 

“Shut it, Winter.” the latter uttered while still not breaking her gaze on the book she’s reading. 

 

 

Winter pouted but it soon morphed into another smile, it is still early to give up. 

 

 

Thinking that being beside the girl while trying to convince her will do the work, she immediately did so. Winter even scoots her chair closer to Karina while clasping both her hands atop the table to make her stance more convincing, “As I was saying, it is a holiday. No classes which means we have some free time. So… why don't we go on a date? My treat of course hehe.” 

 

When the girl finally set her eyes on her, Winter immediately fell in awe. It is always like that even though she already grew to memorize her crush’s face. Karina will still leave her breathless every damn time. 

 

 


 

No.” she flatly uttered, her voice devoid of any emotions before steering her attention back to studying. With the obvious result, Winter let out a mental sigh. She already expected it but she still hopes that Karina will even think about it first for at least a minute (this is already an achievement for her) before outrightly declining her offer. 


 

Well, nothing to worry about - she convinced herself again. She still has two other N—


 

 

 

 

 

 


 

No and no. That’s already three right?” 



 

 

“Bye. I still need to study.” Gathering her things fast, the latter soon headed to the library’s exit. Leaving a dumbfounded Winter behind. 


 

Winter now questions her decision, she should have made it five or maybe ten. She thought she was already clever back then but it seems like Karina is on a higher level than her. Well, it is not that bad since this actually made her admire the girl more. 

 

 

 

 

A few scenarios like that on her succeeding attempts continue to happen. 


 

“Should I take you home?” 


 

“No, no and no.” 



_____


 

“How about I’ll pick you up after your girl’s night out.” 


 

“I’ll go with Yeji, Winter.” 


 

“But I’ve heard Ryujin will pick her up.” 


 

“That is why I am going with them.” 


 

“B-but I can drive you too. Ryujin is picking up Yeji, can’t I do the same for you?” she bargained again when she should have not. 


 

 

 

 

“Ryujin is Yeji’s girlfriend. Of course she will pick her up…





 

 

 


 

“As for you, I am not.” Well, that kinda hurts, her smile and hopeful eyes disappeared the moment Karina put out their situation like that. She does have a point to be honest. That is why she cannot refute anything. It is true that she isn’t Karina’s girlfriend. 


 

The girl might have sensed her discouragement and the implication of her choice of words, “I’ll update you, by the way. Don’t worry! Bye!” a ‘consolation’ but she is more than willing to take that. It is enough. Karina is worth every effort she will exert and every rejected attempt she will experience. It’s okay. Karina’s heart is worth it. 


_____


 

“I can’t believe myself too.” She replied to Ryujin mindlessly. 


 

“You know what, too much love will kill you.” Ningning snickered beside her.


 

“Here we go again with your lyrical reasoning.” Yuna fired back which made all of them to chuckle well except for the subject of the rebuttal. 


 

“It is because I am a music major, Yuna.” 


 

“Oh so you are putting it that way, I am an accounting major, Yizhou but have you heard me talk about numbers and sht in our conversation?” 


 

“That’s because it will not make any sense if you do.” Fair point. 


 

“W-well your lyrics aren’t making any sense too!” 


 

“It does! Right Winter? Ryujin? It does make sense right?!” Ningning even stood up. She’s the one who usually gets worked up first so no wonder. 


 

“It doesn’t!” Now, Yuna is standing up too. Ryujin and her were left sighing but eventually they just continued to munch on their food despite their friends causing a scene. It is not as if this kind of occurrence is new to anyone. Their group is a bunch of chaotic people. This is actually somehow tolerable since it is just two of them and not four. If it will be the four of them - now, that is what you call problematic.  






 

 

“Are you really planning to be our class representative for the pageant during Sports Day?” After all the banter, Yuna finally decided to go to the main topic they should talk about. 


 

“I have no choice unless I’ll let Jeno be around Karina for a whole week of practice. I just can’t do that can I?” 


 

“And besides I know Karina is not fond of those things.” she added which made her friends to all sport a teasing smile. 


 

“That is your main reason, isn’t it? You could have said it earlier, you know.” 


 

“A green flag indeed.” Ningning pointed out while clapping her hand. Winter was going to smile at her when she added something. 




 

“But sadly, Karina is color blind.” Another round of laughter erupted on their table again with Winter just sighing on the side. 


 

She was on the verge of losing her mind when an idea popped on the brilliant brain of hers. Winter abruptly looks at her friends sheepishly one by one while letting out her infamous puppy eyes. 


 

Yuna shivered at the sudden display of weird behavior, “I feel like I don’t like what you are thinking right now, Minjeong-ah.” 

 

 

“Hehe…”

 


 

“Aish… don’t give us that look. ” a napkin soon landed on her face. Winter is supposed to be glaring at Ryujin by the time her face emerges from the slightly damp thing that’s thrown her way but she still keeps her bright smile, too bright for her friend’s liking. 


 

“Hear me out first…” she started as she gathered their attention, she even put her arm on Ningning and the other on Yuna to make it look like they’re planning for their winning shot in a basketball game with her being the coach. 


 

“I have thought of something that will not make both Karina and I to be Jeno’s partner. Aren’t I brilliant?” With that, her friends wear a proud smile. They even nodded furiously to let her continue her talking. They are a bunch of chaotic friends but they sure are supportive. Winter knows she can count on them or so she just thought. 

 

 

 


 

“I can only do that when another person will volunteer in our stead.” she whispered seriously. Winter then looks at her friends expectantly, with that look the other three already knew where this situation will head. 

 

 

That is why…


 

Ningning immediately settled the strap of her bag on one of her shoulders while standing up, “I still have classes, I gotta go! Bye! See you later!” With that, she dashed off towards the cafeteria’s exit. 


 

The one asking the favor gaze hopefully on the next girl.

 

‘Please Yu—’  

 

“I j-just remembered, we have a dance practice right now hehe. Bye!” 


 

“Yah! You haven’t tried out for that club yet!” her reasoning fell in deaf ears as the girl was too busy dragging her feet away from their table. 


 

 

Winter looks at her last ray of hope who is somehow calmly finishing her food.


 

 

Ryu—” before she can even convince the girl properly, her words got cut off. 


 

“Drop it, my friend. I’m not going to save your and let mine be embarrassed instead.” With a smile that’s telling her ‘argue with me and I’ll kick your ’, Winter can only slump her body on her seat for the nth time since she agreed to volunteer in the event.



 

Winter is on the verge of giving up again when a bright idea comes to her mind.


 

“How about, Yeji?! Hmmm? T-that’s right! I’ve remembered she competed in some during junior high—” 



 

But it soon came crashing down too. 



 

“No. I will never let my girlfriend be around that jerk. As much as you will not let Karina to be with him, I am too with my girlfriend, Minjeong-ah. I don’t trust that guy with pretty girls.” 






 

Jeno can really be a pain in the when he wants to, so she can truly understand where her friend is coming from. 



 

“Touche.” She uttered lowly, finally accepting her doom for it seems like she doesn’t have a choice anymore. 


 

 

_____


 

“Why did you do it?” she looked up from her notes when the familiar voice resonated inside the now empty room. When she comes face to face with the person who brings so much joy to her even though her face is mostly adorned with a feature that is devoid of any emotion, she automatically lets out a smile. Winter gazes at the latter sheepishly when it sat beside her. If she can recall correctly, this is the first time that Karina has approached her willingly. It is always her who takes the first step to get close to the girl, so for her to finally experience this, she now thought that volunteering to be the tribute for the event isn’t that bad. 


 

“What?” she acted dumb at first. Winter knows that Karina usually gets worked up with this kind of behavior from people. Her furrowed eyebrows and a slight glare directed towards her is the second thing Winter looks forward to. Of course the first would be the smiling face of the latter. 

 

The irritated expression of the girl flashed in an instant in front of her eyes but it couldn’t bother her even an inch, in fact as what she has said, she likes it. 


 

How cute. 

 

 

“You are in your self again even though you aren’t. Don’t play with me, Minjeong-ah.” 


 

Oh. 

 

At the mention of her Korean name, Winter knows the girl is now serious. Her smile did drop but her playful eyes can still be seen. 

 

 

 


 

“For a change.” she replied simply. 


 

“Besides I cannot let Jeno shine, can I? I am also winning your heart Ms. Yu.” she added bravely while leaning close to the girl who is sure taken aback by what she is pulling right now. Karina’s gaze remained towards Winter who is now sporting a slight smirk for the latter is clearly dumbfounded. 


 

 

 

For a few seconds, both of them were engaged in a staring contest, Winter was enjoying every bit of it, not until her eyes landed on Karina’s slightly parted lips, her mind immediately went haywire and all she could think of was how it would feel against her own. 

 

 

 

Before she will lose her control, she abruptly averted her gaze and soon gathered her things. 


 

 

“Oh, right. It is a shame that I cannot driv— I mean I cannot offer you a ride home for a week.” Winter finds the need to correct herself because Karina never lets her drive her home despite her unending offers. 


 

“Can’t you just text me that you arrived safely?” Winter bargained because she knows Karina will not have the initiative to text her first. 


 

‘Winter will only know if Winter asks.’ 


 

Well, at least she will get Karina’s reply if she does. 


 

She never waited for the girl’s reply before exiting the room, the girl will only decline it again for sure - is what she thought. 


 

 

 

 

 

 

[6:42 PM] One message received

 

From: My honeybunch, sugarplum…


 

     Already home. 


 

Winter never knew that a two-word phrase could bring her so much joy, not until that moment. 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

She smiled while looking for her phone as the familiar ding echoed in the auditorium. They are currently on a practice break for the Ms. and Mr. Sports Day. So far so good aside from Jeno’s annoying face. But at least the guy isn’t pulling anything on her… yet. 


 

From: My honeybunch, sugarplum… 

 

     I already ate. 

 

An unconscious smile was plastered on her face upon seeing the latter’s one-liner reply. 

 

                                                                                   Aren’t you going to ask if I have eaten? 

 

     No.

 

                                        Ouch. I’ll give you an answer still :P I haven’t T_T Lunch break is not until 1pm.  

 

 

                                  Anyways, don’t skip your lunch, I cannot really excuse myself in practice to pester you to eat on time. This . I miss you already.

                                                                         


 

Winter pocketed her phone when the pageant instructor called for them again. It is not a problem because it’s been a few minutes already since she sent her reply so maybe Karina isn’t planning to respond. It is no big deal but it somehow does dampen her mood a little bit throughout remaining time for practice.

 

 

 


 

“It’s 1pm already, you can have your lunch and by the way, we don’t have a practice this afternoon since I have important matters to attend to. Dismiss!” a series of delighted squeals can be heard after the announcement, Winter too sighs in relief. She cannot do all these girly things anymore for another few hours. They are only on the second day of practice but she feels herself on the verge of backing out. The only good thing that came out from this whole ordeal aside from reasons involving Karina is she gets to develop friendships from the other classes. And speaking of which, she spotted Minju and Hyewon waving at her from the other side of the room where their bags are located.

 

 

When she got to their place, she was greeted with playful pushes and teasing smiles. There, beside her belongings is a packed bento with her favorite banana milk. Her eyes immediately scream in delight before transforming into a curious expression as she picks up the meal. 


 

Who would give me this?

 

Her friends aren’t that sweet to pull out this kind of gesture especially if she didn’t ask them to. 


 

Noticing her confused self, Hyewon took the initiative to enlighten her, “There is a note inside, silly.” 


 

“Way to go, Minjeong-ah. Maybe you are already halfway there.” Minju cryptically uttered with a smile while ushering the two to get going already. 

 

 

 

When she opened the paper bag, a blue sticky note was attached on the bento’s lid. Scribbled on it  is a familiar handwriting. 


 

     Do well, . 



 

Upon realizing who sent it just by the short scribble, she immediately let out a chuckle. Well, Karina is not Karina without these curt and short phrases. Winter should be insulted by the usage of the word '' but she sure does know that it is already part of the girl she likes to say something like that especially to her. 




 

She is nothing but amused actually. 



 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Winter has expected that Jeno would be doing something during one of their practices. She was actually relieved for the past days thinking that the guy might have already gathered himself and probably realized that it is better to be good than to be a jerk. Unfortunately, their last day of practice proves that he is still incapable of changing, as the guy is getting too close to her liking. They were now instructed to walk and pose on the stage by pair. Winter do get it that it is inevitable for them to have contact but it is unnecessary for her jerk of a partner to squeeze her waist every damn time his hand will land there whenever they are posing together. 

 

 

When she is already too fed up with his antics, she deliberately created a space between them while smiling fakely at the instructor. She might not have realize her uncomfortableness as she immediately gestured for them to get close. The smirk on Jeno’s face did not went unnoticed by Winter. Hence, when his hand was placed on her waist for the nth time, she gives out her first warning. 


 

 

“Squeeze it again and you will not be able to use that ing wrist of yours for a few days.” Winter whispered sternly while still faking smiles. She heard the jerk let out a low chuckle at that but he did adhere to her threat. Now, his smirking annoying face is what is getting on her nerves. 


 

 

 

“How are your courting going?” he started while both of them are walking back to their original position. 

 


 

“Shut up, it’s none of your business.” 



 

“You are having a hard time, right? Give it up already. Karina is too uptight, no one can even handle her.” Jeno teased. 


 

Winter knows he is just messing with her and that he is not worth her time, so she just lets him be. But she promised herself that if another insult will be let out of his mouth that is directed towards Karina. She is sure that her self-control might be thrown away and to hell with this jerk’s face. 


 

It is good that they were ushered in the backstage afterwards. Winter can finally gather herself or maybe not when the devil whispers something to her. 


 

 

“You know… if you think you’re the mighty one who gets to have Karina’s heart. As early as now you have to burst your bubble already. Karina is not the type to care for anyone. She is that uncaring girl who thinks everything revolves around her so she toys with ---” his slander got cut off when Winter aggressively grip on his collar, she is seeing red already at the moment. 

 

 

“I told you to shut up, aren’t I?” she uttered furiously while pinning the boy on the nearby wall. Shocked eyes from the other participants were directed towards them. Minju and Hyewon abruptly went to their side but decided to not meddle yet. They both knew that Winter is not someone who gets mad for no reason and to see her like this, Jeno must have done something terrible that deserves at least a punch. 


 

“How can you say that to someone you have been pining for a while?! Will you stop being a sore loser just because you cannot take a rejection?! It isn’t Karina’s fault that you and your lousy attempts are not worth her attention.” 


 

 

“Just off before you embarrass yourself.” Winter threatened sternly before loosening her grip on the latter’s collar. 




 

 

“Oh, by the way…”




 

“It is the stupid you who cannot handle her. We are not on the same level.” she chortled before walking away.



 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Loud cheers are what reverberated ever since the pageant started. Karina and Mark’s voices can be heard as they host the event. They are currently elaborating on the criteria for judging. 

 

Winter continuously calms her nerves, they are the next ones to go on stage after the announcement of the criteria. 


 

 

“Now, for the Class 3-A’s representatives! Let us give a round of applause for Lee Jeno and Kim Winter!” As soon as their names were called by Mark, the two wore their best smiles and confidently went off the stage despite what happened yesterday. Winter hates to admit it but Jeno is really charming if you don’t know him beforehand. He is the kind of guy you will admire by the first time you see him but afterwards, she’d rather not tell. 


 

Her smile went a little too bright when she caught a glimpse of the breathtaking host. Karina’s simple yet elegant black dress and pretty face are already enough to win the crown they are vying for the night. Winter even thinks the instant their eyes meet that all these are useless to her, for her queen whose worth of a crown is there on the side gazing at her with a smile. That alone made her feel like a winner already. 


 

Mark turned towards her after asking Jeno some questions mainly about how he feels at the moment. It is now Winter’s turn. 

 

“Wow, look what we have here, I never knew you'd want to participate in these kinds of events, Winter-ssi. You look stunning by the way.” Mark uttered with full smiles which earned a chuckle from her. Loud cheers resonated in the venue. The loudest were all coming from her blockmates as they continuously shouted her name. She can even spot her three friends waving a banner while cheering for her. 


 

Flashbacks about how she volunteered and how she convinced her friends to participate rather than her reeled back at the back of her mind. She too doesn’t expect that she will be in this position. 


 

The reason for all the fiasco, followed up Mark’s introduction with a question, “So, what made you change your mind that you have decided to participate, Winter?” not the exact words but the same question, it brought Winter to the time when Karina asked her why she volunteered. The time where she wonders how it would feel to kiss her. Realizing that it is not the time to think of these unnecessary thoughts, she then shook her head mentally. 

 


 

She might not have answered the girl truthfully back then but her answer remains firm.











 

“It’s because…”







 

“I know all these are worth it” Winter answered while looking at the girl intently. 


 

 

You are worth it Karina. 

 

 


 

Jeno’s words yesterday rang in her brain even after they went backstage again. It is true that Karina may act nonchalant most of the time but she is not uncaring. If she is, she shouldn’t have bought Winter that bento box. She shouldn’t have remembered that her favorite drink is that banana milk. Karina shouldn’t have texted her the night before. 


 

From: My honeybunch, sugarplum… 

 

     I’ve heard about what happened with you and Jeno. 

 

     Are you okay? 

 

     Don’t mind him especially if it is about me. I can handle him. 

 

     Sleep tight. 





 

And even before the event started. 



 

From: My honeybunch, sugarplum… 

 

     Good luck, Minjeong-ah. 

 

     I’m pretty sure you will do well tho ;) 


 

Also, if she is uncaring. She won’t be able to perform her duties well as a student council president. If there is a person who really witnessed how the girl did a really good job in juggling her studies and her responsibility as the student leader, it would be Winter. She can sense how all of these took a toll on the latter from time to time but never did she hear Karina complain about it. Winter cannot do anything because it is a part of Karina that she can never change. The girl is just like that. Hardworking as always.

 

 

Her little but consistent ways of letting Karina realize that she is always there beside her, is all Winter can do. 

 

Even if all these will not make their relationship blossom into something more than friends just like what Jeno is trying to imply, it is okay. 

 

Winter has now found her answer to everything. Everything’s clear to her. The missing piece that comes after realizing that Karina is worth it is now answered. 


 

 

She is indeed worth it. 

 

And her main goal isn’t making the girl her girlfriend. It is for Karina to realize that she is worth it despite her imperfections as what other people are pointing out about her. Well, those aren’t Karina’s imperfections to begin with for Winter. Those are actually part of the girl that she is more than willing to accept. 


 

Winter might appear as a fool for continuously chasing after Karina but she is a fool who is admiring a girl that is truly amazing beyond the cold facade she is putting up. 


 

All these are what’s important. 



 

To have Karina as a girlfriend is just a bonus. 



 

“For our Mr. Sports Day… Choi Yeonjun!” Mark announced. Cheers from Class 3-B can be heard. A first-runner up for Jeno isn’t that bad. 

 


 

“And now for our Ms. Sports Day…” A drum roll instrumental followed suit Karina’s voice. Winter just stayed smiling at the audience. Various names of other contestants can be heard as each class shouted their representatives. Whatever the result is, she is content. This event is not actually her doom but a way for her to realize everything. This clears her mind of all hazy thoughts involving Karina. She feels relieved. Yeah, that is the perfect word to describe what she feels. All her inhibitions about courting Karina have all been washed away. Only a thought remains. 


 

She is happy to have a chance to express how she feels for the girl. 


 

Hundreds of failed attempts could not suffice the happiness she feels upon having that opportunity and she is willing to take more if what it takes is for Karina to realize how special she is. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

“Kim Winter! Congratulations!” Confettis and chants of her names resonated on every corner of their school’s auditorium. Her blockmates’ celebrating below the stage entered her line of sight. She cannot help but to let out a smile at their antics. 

 

Winter is not keen on winning this award but she cannot deny that having it is also making her happy. She is now overwhelmed with positive emotions and as if it is not enough. Karina walks towards her with a proud smile as she handed her a sash. Since that moment, all she can see is Karina. A crown was put on her head but she could care less about that. Mark on her other side even resorted to just holding the bouquet that is for her after his attempts to get Winter to hold it seems futile. Her attention is all towards Karina and their close proximity as the girl is pinning her sash on her. 


 

 

“I am proud of you, Minjeong-ah.”


 

“Oh, have I mentioned already that you look really beautiful?” 


 

“N-no.” With that Karina chuckles while still sporting a smile. 


 

How beautiful.  


 

 

“You are, Minjeong-ah. Always.” 


 

Huh? 



 

Her mind gets short-circuited at the latter’s words. Winter cannot help to think what is with this day. Everything seems plotted to make her happy. It is one of her happiest days, if she would just be honest. 



 

Before she can ask the girl if she heard her correctly, Karina stood beside her, holding her mic again, “Before I forgot.” she started while looking at Winter before averting her eyes towards the crowd. The joyous screams of everyone were cut off at her words. 


 

“Kim Winter won another award.” she stared at the girl with confusion etched on her features. All the special awards were all given a while ago before the announcing of the major ones. So, she is wondering what is Karina saying right now. 


 

“Congratulations…














 

 

 

 

 

 

 



 

You have won yourself a girlfriend tonight.” 



 

What? 





 

Oh. 



 

Winter is sure that loud cheering followed suit, but it is as if she grew deaf of all the sounds and all she can hear is her fast beating heart. Karina’s words replayed on her mind a few times more before reality sinks in. When it hits her, a huge amount of happiness surge throughout her body resulting in her to excitedly spin the girl around who just laugh at her overjoyed expression. She cannot even put into words how happy she is at the moment just them smiling at each other, hearts now finally beating as one. 


 

Scratch what she said a while ago, this is not one of her happiest days, it IS the happiest day of her life. 


 

 

 

“Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!” her three friends chanted first as soon as she put Karina down. Then the whole crowd now chants the same word. 



 

They look at each other shyly, not knowing what to do. 

 

Winter waved her hands in front of her gesturing for everyone to stop pushing them to do it in front of everyone. She knows that Karina values her reputation and priva--- 


 

“WOOOOOOOH!!!” The loudest cheers for the night erupted the moment a pair of lips landed on her own. It was just a smack but it is more than enough to render her speechless. Winter looks at Karina with a dumbfounded expression but the girl is now shyly walking away. Winter lets out a huge smile because it is not typical for Karina to act this way 



 

“H-hey! At least let your girlfriend return the favor!” she teasingly uttered even emphasizing the word 'girlfriend’ as she followed the girl. 




 

“Shut up!” The girl sternly said but the smile grazing her lips cannot be hide. Now, that is the typical Karina Yu. 

 



 

Winter that night gets her 'bonus' and probably a special tip too in the form of a kiss. 

 

 

 

The end.  

 

 

A/N: Hope y'all have enjoyed this story as much as I have enjoyed writing this one. The initial upvotes and comments are highly appreciated even though I haven't published the whole story yet. 

 

Thanks for reading! Feel free to comment your thoughts :) I love reading them all even though I usually don't reply hahahaha. 

 

Take care always. See you on my next Winrina oneshot <3