Fin.

you could be the one that i love (i could be the one that you dream of)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 


 

Kim Hyunjung promised herself that the only time she would write letters— love letters— was when she found someone worth writing for.


 

Every year, she wrote letters to her mother on occasions she deemed special. Every birthday, she would add a letter to her gift for her sister; and every spring, she would write one letter to her father. She'd tell him about her life, about the people she'd met, and about what she wanted to do when she was older. Afterwards, she would lay the letters down on his grave, pinned under a small rock.


 

Hyunjung never thought about what would happen to the letters.


 

When she met her mother's best friend during the last weeks of her first year in high school, at a time when she went on a vacation trip with her mother, she started writing letters to her. Meanwhile, she had the chance to play with her mother's best friend's daughter, Soobin. Then she went to a theme park in the nearby cafes with her aunt. And there, she met Juyeon and Sojung.


 

The list of the people she loved grew and grew.


 

So did the letters.


 

But not for long.


 

In middle school, she was crushing so hard on a boy in her class, and she wrote her feelings down. The next day, she tried handing it to him during break. She didn't really know what she was expecting, because he just laughed at her and handed the letter over to his jock friends. They read her letter aloud in a mocking manner, in front of the whole student body within earshot, and not only did he humiliate her and rip her letter in two, but he also broke her heart.


 

High school drama was the worst, Hyunjung recalled. Everything you do was scrutinized— when you dress like them, they have something to say. When you don't, they still have something to say. When you speak, they murmur. When you don't speak, they murmur even more. So when one time they mocked her again about the letter, Hyunjung's classmates whipped their heads and started to laugh with him.


 

Hyunjung vividly remembered clinging to the self-control she had left, lest she jumped on him and beat the crap out of him. Or get beaten— but at least it would have felt good. For the moment, anyway.


 

She transferred schools after that school year. Her mother got a new job in a lively city outside of Busan, and they high-tailed out of there. The city, it turned out, was Seoul.


 

Businessmen bustled around and street vendors were everywhere. There was a large library located in the center of the city, and cafes were situated next to the universities. Unlike the quiet of the night in Busan, the people here never seem to sleep; there was a night market that captured the main road and it was like a carnival of colors, and a lot of things Hyunjung has never seen before.


 

Hyunjung definitely didn't miss Busan when everything she wanted was right here. She could always visit her father once in a while during break; Hyunjung was sure her mother would never miss his anniversary.


 

So to summarize, Hyunjung was happy and contended.


 

But she stopped sending letters.


 

Not because she was closer to her friends than ever before, but because she thought maybe it was true, that she had kept doing it so many times that it was no longer special—and people wouldn't appreciate it anymore. After all, they had phones, wifi, and social media. She could just tell them all what she felt through text; it would take less effort than writing ink on paper.


 

She had a bunch of those unsent letters hidden under the foot of her bed— in a dusty shoe box with a faded logo of Nike. They were organized alphabetically; and before Hyunjung left her old house, she was certain she would need another shoe box soon because she never missed a month of writing them—


 

Except she didn't.


 

She stopped writing cheesy and sappy stuff altogether when she got to college.


 

"What are you going to major in?" Juyeon asked.


 

It was during the semester of their senior year, just a few months before August and before Hyunjung was going to college. They were seated on one of the bleachers. Hyunjung's eyes trailed absentmindedly on the players in the field. Yonsei University had a tradition to hold a game between the high schools around the city and right now, a lot of the students were squeezed in the bleachers, where they cheered whenever the team they were rooting for scored against the opposing team.


 

The cheers got louder whenever their university's team stepped onto the field. Mostly whenever it was number eight who was batting.


 

Like, right now, Hyunjung was looking at her intensely.


 

"English Language and Literature," Hyunjung replied distractedly.


 

Number eight batted the ball, and the other team's outfielder tried to run for it, though it was clearly going over the fence, which meant it was a home run. The person next to Hyunjung jumped out of their seat and screamed so loud she had to cover her ears. When the excitement died down and halftime came up, Sojung spoke over the noise.


 

"Are you planning on taking it here or are you changing universities?"


 

"Ugh, I'm not ready to leave this place. It kinda I skipped two grades, but I know it'll even more if I transferred out. At least I kind of already know the people that'll take psychology with me." Juyeon complained.


 

Sojung chuckled and butted in, "I hear that KU's Business program was top-notch. My dad went there before, so I'm looking to get a reservation soon."


 

"I'm going to SNU," Hyunjung blurted out. She played with the hem of her denim jacket as she explained, "My uncle works there. Also, I've read some of their students' papers before, and I really want to be just as good as them."


 

She refrained from mentioning that she also picked that school because it was nearest to the big library in the city. Hyunjung could worry about job opportunities later.


 

It was a bit hard to carry the conversation when they kept getting pushed and shoved by people who grumbled about wanting to see more of the game. When Hyunjung got annoyed by the incessant pushing of one of the freshmen behind her, chanting memorized cheers for Yonsei (which is why Hyunjung let it slide), she excused herself and said she was going to get a drink.


 

Which she did.


 

She walked along the winding path that led through a grove where everything became a distant buzz in Hyunjung's ears. There were two vending machines behind the school building, and she could see the faint glow even before she reached the tree line.


 

There was someone crouching in front of the green vending machine.


 

When Hyunjung got closer, she could see that it was one of the baseball players. Her pink hair, like princess bubblegum, was unmistakable. She was talking to herself, and Hyunjung could tell that her tone was angry.


 

"Stupid vending machine," the stranger murmured. "I just wanted a drink."


 

Apparently, the vending machine didn't give her what she wanted.


 

Hyunjung watched as the player shook the machine in frustration. Her dyed hair was tied up into a ponytail, with some of the free strands sticking to her face. Her jersey was drenched in sweat, the number 08 was printed on the back, and her socks were covered in dust. Her brows were furrowed and her lips jutted out in a pout.


 

Hyunjung didn't know how long she was standing there, mesmerized by the person's stunning good looks. She knew her name was Kim Jiyeon. It was hard not to know her; she was the talk of the school,  both good and bad.


 

Some say she was a priss, others were awed by her mind and beauty, obviously.


 

Hyunjung never had any classes with her, but she knew what it was like to be the subject of rumors, true or not.


 

Hyunjung fidgeted awkwardly, debating whether to turn back and walk away or help. The girl looked so tired though, so Hyunjung shrugged and coughed to get Jiyeon's attention. She was startled when Jiyeon jumped and cursed. She whipped her head to point an accusing finger at Hyunjung.


 

They leveled each other with a stare, having stiff shoulders and guarded expressions. Hyunjung was pulled in by the other girl's eyes; the sun wasn't yet setting west at that time, but Hyunjung could've sworn she saw stars reflected in her pupils. It took another resounding cheer from the field to jolt them out of it.


 

Jiyeon composed herself, eyes darting around before they settled on Hyunjung.


 

"Do you need help?" Hyunjung offered.


 

Jiyeon tilted her head, puzzled. Before she shook and pointed at the vending machine.


 

"I don't think you could help."


 

What a way with words.


 

"I mean— sorry, that came out wrong." Jiyeon bit her lower lip. "I'm not… good with words. I meant to say that this machine is bogus and I think the school is just collecting money from it without dispensing anything back."


 

Hyunjung tried not to smile at that. Jiyeon may say that she wasn't good with words (with tones), but she could tell that this girl held her tongue back a lot. Hyunjung heard her in a debate competition once, she remembered the girl tapping her fingers against the wooden table in front of her, before she stood up and raised points that were difficult to argue with.


 

She would be a good politician.


 

"Yeah, that vending machine likes to get stuck. But I figured out a way to get it to push out the stuff—" Hyunjung approached the machine, and she kicked it as hard as she could on the side.


 

In a moment, they heard a loud— thud!


 

Hyunjung inserted her hand into the machine's opening and pulled out a blue gatorade. She handed it to Jiyeon, who looked stunned.


 

"That's... a violent solution, but I'll take it." Jiyeon bit back a smile. She put out her hand and reached for the drink and the moment their fingers brushed against each other, Hyunjung couldn't contain herself.


 

"I know this is a sports drink but like, are you supposed to have juice in the middle of the game?" Hyunjung blurted out. "Not that I'm judging you or anything— I guess you were really exhausted after that last inning, and not that I'm wondering why you're all the way out here when there could be drinks in the iced box by your bench but—"


 

Jiyeon laughed.


 

How dare she have a beautiful laugh!


 

She had bags under her eyes and her skin looked ghostly pale. Her lips were almost white and she must not have drank anything since the game started. Hyunjung knew that was dangerous especially when she was out there, sweating like crazy.


 

"It's fine. They uh, didn't have enough water bottles. Or I might have been too deep in thought to notice that one of the juniors took two of them and left me with nothing."


 

Hyunjung blinked as Jiyeon sighed. She looked absolutely exhausted.


 

"Jisoo told them it was fine, that I was like a machine and I was used to it." Jiyeon muttered bitterly. "It's unfortunate but I guess that's how people see it when you're a leader."


 

The hurt laced in her voice filled Hyunjung with sympathy. Jiyeon must not have had anyone to share that with if she was telling Hyunjung, whom she'd never even talked to.


 

"That ." Hyunjung replied. "Let them play the game without you, then. If they blame you, raise the water bottle incident as a defense." She joked.


 

Jiyeon snorted.


 

"Oh, please. They'd definitely blame me. I've been playing since we were up against KU's Kia Tigers. The least they could do was play the finals without me."


 

Hyunjung hummed in agreement. She expected the conversation to end there, without her even introducing herself. She gave Jiyeon a genuine smile before she turned and placed two coins into the other vending machine.


 

She picked out another blue gatorade and a water bottle.


 

The afternoon air became chilly, and Hyunjung adjusted the beanie on top of her head to cover her ears. When she turned back, she saw that Jiyeon was watching her.


 

"Isn't your team going to look for you?" Hyunjung chortled.


 

Jiyeon shrugged. "I'm graduating in a few months. They'll have to get used to not having me around."


 

Hyunjung laughed. She offered the water bottle to her, and Jiyeon's eyes widened.


 

"You need actual water in your system. Come on, I'll walk you back."


 

Hyunjung pushed the water bottle gently into Jiyeon's chest, before she walked off, not wanting to see the other girl's reaction. But Jiyeon recovered quickly and caught up to her, eyebrows raised.


 

"You can't say you're walking me when you were headed back there in the first place, Hyunjung."


 

Somehow, Hyunjung felt like they were old friends. Jiyeon was comfortable to be with; her voice was like music to her ears. Hyunjung tried to ignore the hard pounding of her heart in her chest, the familiar flutter of butterflies in her stomach, and the red flush on her cheeks.


 

When they got close to the field, Jiyeon waved to her shyly, signaling that she had to go back to the bench, where substitute players and their coach were waiting for her.


 

Hyunjung waved back with the gatorade in her hand.


 

"I'll see you around, Kim."


 

She straightened her posture, dark eyes became steely and cold like the night air, before she turned and confidently walked towards the field. When she made her appearance, Hyunjung could hear the cheer of the students louder than it was before they came back.


 

That day, Hyunjung felt like someone had stolen a piece of her heart.


 

It was that very night that Hyunjung brought out her favorite pen and a piece of paper, and had written her first and last love letter before she entered college. She wrote about starry eyes and dyed hair, of gentle smiles and beautiful laughs, and cold drinks that made her day warm.


 

When she finished folding the letter, she realized that Jiyeon knew her name without Hyunjung ever telling her.


 

I made conversations with the moon,

About how breathtaking you were.

I whispered to the stars,

Poetry for the muse who has been dancing in my mind.



 

————



 

"In 2016, Seoul witnessed a deterioration of its ability to provide the economy with the skills needed, which points to a mismatch between school curriculums and the demands of companies…”


 

Hyunjung paid attention as her classmate read out her paper. From the corner of her eyes, she could see people pass an envelope under the table. When it reached her, she stuffed the envelope in her backpack as subtle as she could. She tapped her foot against the tiled floor impatiently, waiting for the minor class to end. Mr. Park, their professor for this course, sat idly in the corner, brows raised as he listened.


 

This wasn't a major class or anything; but the government required that they take world history and some other kind of unrelated course to fill in the gaps for their needed units. Hyunjung ended up enrolling in this course.


 

She wasn't expecting any familiar faces really; that was until she entered class one day (she woke up late) and when she stepped inside the room, she saw someone she never thought she'd see again.


 

Kim Jiyeon sat in front of her, chin rested on her palm. Her other hand held a pen as she jotted down stuff at random. Hyunjung didn't know if she was actually paying attention or if she was pretending to.


 

Unlike the days before summer vacation, when her hair was a cotton candy pink, her hair was now dyed a golden honey brown. Hyunjung knew SNU was strict when it came to uniforms (for certain majors), IDs and hair dye, but Jiyeon was probably not in any of the courses that were disallowed it or— they just thought it was her natural hair color. After all, it suits her really really well (probably, any color will do).


 

When Jiyeon saw her during their first day, Hyunjung could've sworn her eyes lit up as she waved; and out of sheer nervousness, Hyunjung just smiled back.


 

She wanted to die out of embarrassment.


 

After that one afternoon they spent together, Hyunjung was hoping to see more of her. But the different friend groups and the looming deadlines for the requirements of their graduation got in the way. When Hyunjung told her friends about it, both Juyeon and Sojung made a face, telling her that if she tried talking to Jiyeon in public, she'd probably get ignored.


 

She still had nightmares about that time people in the hallway laughed at her for handing out a love letter to a jerk; so she nodded and kept her distance.


 

Now, it made it awkward for her to just walk up to Jiyeon and strike a conversation.


 

So she just sat behind her instead.


 

Hyunjung didn't know if Jiyeon's slumped shoulders were an indication that she was disappointed, but she decided not to think much about that.


 

"Ms. Kim Jiyeon," Mr. Park said dryly, "You're next."


 

His tone sounded like he detested Jiyeon's name, but then again, he always sounded like he hated his job.


 

Hyunjung saw Jiyeon's posture go rigid.


 

"Dear God, I hope you don't talk about capitalism like your mother did when we were your age." Mr. Park sighed exasperatedly.


 

Damn, Hyunjung thought. He must really hate Jiyeon's mother.


 

Hyunjung didn't have any classes with Jiyeon in high school. She didn't know what she was up close— but now she could see Jiyeon's stoic expression waiver slightly when she went to the front of the class, hands grasping the side of her skirt tightly until her fists turned white. Mr. Park's words must've gotten to her more than she let on.


 

Silence enveloped the room as people looked at her expectantly, and Jiyeon's name was whispered around in the air, as if it were an incantation. Briefly, their eyes met and Hyunjung's heart almost stopped.


 

She swallowed her nerves as Jiyeon blinked at her owlishly. Looking for something.


 

Encouragement, maybe?


 

And Hyunjung didn't know if Jiyeon actually needed it, or if Hyunjung just wanted to help— whatever it was, it urged her to hastily open her notebook and scribble 'Go Jiyeon!' Before positioning it to the side where Mr. Park couldn't see her raise it up.


 

When Jiyeon's eyes fell on the paper, Hyunjung could see a ghostly smile on her face.


 

Then she began what was probably the most interesting critique Hyunjung had ever heard in her life.


 

"We talk so much about history being factual," Jiyeon started. "but not enough about how it has been proven to be wrong over and over when new information is reached."


 

Her voice was steady, and the room was so tense that Hyunjung was sure it woke up the sleeping students in the back.


 

"Historical revisionism has been a thorn in our side. Former President Park Chung-hee is, accordingly, celebrated as the founder of South Korean prosperity. "


 

Hyunjung scoffed. She had once read an article about him. It made him seem like a great president when he was literally a dictator.


 

"But the plaques alongside it make no mention of the former president's dark side," Jiyeon said. Hyunjung couldn't help but give an encouraging smile when Jiyeon's eyes briefly met hers.


 

Now that caused an uproar. But Jiyeon's steely gaze combined with Mr. Park's Be quiet! Made them shut up.


 

"His record in the war when he served the Japanese is absent, and collaboration with the Japanese colonialists remains a hot issue in Korea. No pictures of him in a military uniform are apparent—"

 

Earlier, Mr. Park looked bored as hell. Now, when Hyunjung glanced at him, she thought she saw a proud expression on his face, probably entertained at how Jiyeon kept answering the questions thrown back at her smoothly.


 

Jiyeon turned to a girl who raised a question.


 

"It is important to question everything you hear, and everything you read. If you could question me about my stance regarding this topic, then I hope that each of you learn to question everything you read in your books and especially online. Don't just ask, but learn to find the answer as well."


 

By the end of her paper, Hyunjung clapped loudly that those who hesitated at first rode on her enthusiasm and clapped with her.


 

When the bell rang, everyone rose from their seats, still disgruntled by what they've heard and they stumbled out of the classroom in a hurry. Hyunjung took her time, waiting for the classroom to empty out before she followed, only to be stopped by Mr. Park.


 

"I don't know whether to praise you or to feel stressed for you." Mr. Park started. When Hyunjung looked at him in confusion, he waved his hand.


 

"Writing five papers is a serious feat, and about different topics too."


 

So she did get caught.


 

"Why do you never turn me in?" Hyunjung asked, curiously.


 

Mr. Park rolled his eyes.


 

"I would rather read whatever you've written than spend my time reading what they could have written. Please, you and Jiyeon are my only source of entertainment in this class. Now, shoo.”


 

Hyunjung didn't argue. She hurried out of the room, passing by the group of students who were probably Mr. Park next class. When she turned the corner though, she ended up bumping into someone.


 

With Golden honey brown hair.


 

Oh.


 

The girl of her dreams.


 

Ehem.


 

They stared at each other, unblinking. Hyunjung didn't know why, but her face started feeling hot. Some of the students behind Jiyeon stopped in their tracks and they grumbled before avoiding them and shooting them dirty looks. It took a guy mumbling 'Excuse me,' before Hyunjung realized that they haven't said anything in awhile.


 

The apology was already on the tip of Hyunjung's tongue when Jiyeon spoke before she did.


 

"Thank you, Hyunjung."


 

She tucked a stray lock of golden brown behind her ear and— God, does she have to be so damn pretty doing simple things?


 

"Uh— I-I should have drawn a mini-you for good measure." Hyunjung stuttered out.


 

Hyunjung didn't think it was possible for Jiyeon's eyes to twinkle even more and make her heart pound so much that it hurt, but it was.


 

"You draw?" Jiyeon asked.


 

Hyunjung didn't trust so she nodded, hands gripping the strap of her backpack tightly. But her lips betrayed her because Jiyeon's expectant eyes made her talk.


 

"I'm not that good— but um… It could've helped you more. Not that I think you needed any more help! You were perfect! Your report was perfect! It's perfect!" Hyunjung stuttered.


 

Jiyeon chucked. She seemed to be enjoying Hyunjung's company (she assumed anyway) and although the hallway was crowded and noisy, Hyunjung could only focus on the girl in front of her. The moment between them was short-lived though, as Jiyeon's eyes darted down to her watch and she frowned and looked at Hyunjung apologetically.


 

"Sorry, I have to go. I'll see you on Thursday."


 

Hyunjung thought that was the end of the conversation as she nodded and waved, but before Jiyeon could get far, she turned back and smiled mischievously.


 

"You're a good writer, Hyunjung. But maybe you should let them write their own thoughts next time, then it would be more fun to crush their spirits."


 

She left after that closing statement, with Hyunjung gaping after her.


 

It wasn't like Hyunjung kept it a secret, but to keep the teacher from finding out, students always have this unspoken agreement to keep something like this private in case someone would be a tattletale.


 

She used to hear about how Kim Jiyeon obsessed over grades and ratted people out to teachers when her classmates would do something similar with their homework.


 

But if she had known for months, Hyunjung wondered why Jiyeon had put up with it so long.


 

————


 

The next time Hyunjung ran into Jiyeon, was in the city library.


 

Funny enough, SNU had a whole building dedicated to being a library. Or maybe it was an archive of books? Hyunjung didn't know how to describe it. There were four floors, with shelves perfectly lined up in every corner of the rooms. Two whole floors were dedicated solely to medical and law students’ needs. Long tables filled the empty spaces from the entrance to the back. Computers were all up and running, hidden behind the last row of shelves.


 

Students sat at every available chair, and whispered chatters filled the air. Hyunjung guessed that it wasn't because they were here to read books, but more about using the school's wifi.


 

It was her first time using the library since the semester started a few months ago. But just as soon as she entered the premises, she left the building just as quickly. Unfortunately, Hyunjung found out that SNU lacked the two essential things that would make her day: fiction and fun.


 

She had a two-hour break until her last class, so she went to explore a bit around the neighborhood. Specifically, the city library. It wasn't as if she hadn't been there before— heck, she'd been there plenty of times since the first time she moved to the city— it was just so weird to do it without Juyeon and Sojung.


 

Yonsei was two train trips away, and KU was out of the question.


 

Apparently, Hyunjung can do only so much in just two hours.


 

She sighed as she walked through the deserted streets. Students were in school, the market was three blocks away, and she wasn't really expecting any person to be close to the library. Heck, in Busan, the library was practically used by ghosts.


 

The city library was huge. It stood on a stylobate of three steps, with high columns and pointed rooftops. A sad purplish red coated the building, faded over time. The entrance was through an archway, around nine feet tall. Hyunjung didn't know if they were expecting any Goliaths to visit, but oh, well— it looked straight out of the medieval ages.


 

When she entered the old building, she was greeted by a guy who looked much more ancient. His eyes were a deep, dark eyes. Lines decorated his face, and what seemed to be a permanent frown was plastered on his lips. He raised a brow at her, probably wondering why a teenage girl was walking inside during a school day. He wore a worn-out polo shirt, with a name-tag on the right side of his chest: Heechul.


 

Hyunjung was into books, but when she was with Juyeon and Sojung, they were usually in the horror section or the "forbidden" conspiracy section. Now, she kind of wanted a sappy, romance novel that could out the dryness of the school out of her.


 

And she usually had that at home.


 

But home was too far down the opposite road from here.


 

She approached the help desk, trying to keep her chin up and chest puffed out in fake confidence. Heechul's eyes studied Hyunjung as she shifted uncomfortably from one foot to the other. One glance at her identification card though, made a difference. Heechul stared at her in interest as he pushed his glasses back to the brink of his nose.


 

"Are you here to help with the kids' field trip?" He said gruffly.


 

Confused, Hyunjung could only answer, "I- what?"


 

He shook his head and muttered some words that Hyunjung would rather ignore. He gestured to her ID as if Hyunjung was supposed to understand whatever he was implying.


 

Hyunjung bit her lower lip and raised her hands in defense.


 

"Look sir, I'm just looking for the fiction section."


 

"So you are here for the kids. Go through the arc and turn right. Your partner has been waiting for two hours. Her mother has quite the temper. I hope for your sake, she's more like her father."


 

Puzzled as she was, Hyunjung decided not to answer. Instead, she headed straight to where Heechul pointed. She looked around and wondered if they updated their booklist and added new fictional books in their roster. There weren't many people around, but there were a few teens like her, who were deeply engrossed in whatever they were reading.


 

When she got nearer to the arc, she heard some hushed voices, and laughter. She peeked through the empty space between the books on the shelves, and found a spacious room, with kids sprawled out on the carpeted floor.


 

"As Polyphemus entered the cave, he led his flock of sheep inside and rolled a stone in front of the entrance of the cave to seal it shut. Polyphemus quickly noticed Odysseus and his men had made themselves at home in the cave... This infuriated Polyphemus. He quickly smashed in the heads of two of the men and devoured them!"


 

The kids screamed in horror and Hyunjung wondered why the person reading to them would choose this part of the book to read for kids.


 

That's just cruel. Hyunjung thought ludicrously.


 

She watched as some kids jumped to their feet in frustration, while others hugged their seatmates and tried to keep their tears from falling.


 

"Jiyeon unnie, why did the author write such a thing?!" A puppy-like short-haired little girl exclaimed.


 

Hyunjung blinked.


 

Jiyeon.


 

JIYEON?!


 

She stepped out of her hiding place to get a closer look, brows furrowed and mouth agape. The book reader was definitely the Jiyeon she knew.


 

She sat on a purple bean bag, her golden honey hair cascading like a waterfall on her shoulder. She was wearing a baby blue puffy sleeve top paired with baggy denim jeans.


 

, she could easily dethrone the goddess Aphrodite.


 

And perhaps Aphrodite wouldn't even argue!


 

When Jiyeon put the book down and looked up, pausing at the question thrown at her, Hyunjung placed a hand on her chest and fisted her shirt. She could feel her face heat up immensely as she saw how Jiyeon wore round glasses and at how she smiled at the kids.


 

GLASSES—


 

"Hmm. I don't know, Yujin. Maybe they thought that the characters needed a push in their development and a life-threatening situation would have probably helped with that." Jiyeon shrugged before closing the book.


 

Half of that story was literally life-threatening, though.


 

Clasping her hands, she said, "We'll find out what happens later. Let's take a five-minute break!"


 

There was a mixture of boos and yays, before the kids scrambled to go do their own thing. There were around nineteen kids in total, and Hyunjung realized that they could fill the library and make it sound fun to everyone who could hear their high-pitched voices.


 

Some pushed past her as she stayed rooted in place, still staring dumbfoundedly. Jiyeon's shoulders slumped as she sighed and slid down the bean bag. Her hand went up to massage her temple and she mumbled some words that Hyunjung could probably guess as 'I love this job but it takes too much energy.'


 

Definitely was not what she was saying, but oh well.


 

Hyunjung debated on whether she should go and say hi, or go on her way to the romance section for what she came here for. She didn't expect to run into Jiyeon, but God, did she want to stay here now that she knew she was here. But she looked exhausted, which made Hyunjung feel a bit disappointed because it might not be the best decision to greet her.


 

But she decided too late because Jiyeon spotted her from across the room.


 

"Hyunjung?" She called out.


 

Immediately, Jiyeon got up and looked at her with wide eyes. Hyunjung made a noise that sounded a lot like eep— She looked around before she feigned surprise and waved.


 

"Oh, Jiyeon! Hey, uh, didn't see you— Well, I did, but like, you were busy and I was listening—" Hyunjung waved her hands around, "But it was because I knew what book you were reading from, not trying to be creepy!"


 

Jiyeon looked at her, amused. Probably for the nth time. She was hugging the book to her chest as Hyunjung blabbered more about how she had nothing to do so she went to the library and blah blah blah—


 

"But it's uh, nice seeing you here, accidentally." Hyunjung finished.


 

Jiyeon snorted.


 

"Right,"


 

She didn't believe Hyunjung.


 

Before she could defend herself further, Jiyeon stopped her with a knowing look. She pulled out her phone and checked the time before she sighed. She glanced at Hyunjung before she gestured behind her.


 

"I work here. I don't have afternoon classes on Fridays, so I volunteer to read to the kids. I have to go back now though." Jiyeon summarized.


 

She looked apologetic and Hyunjung didn't want her to go yet. When she said goodbye, Hyunjung didn't know what she was thinking when she blurted out something to stop Jiyeon in her tracks.


 

"I do the best monster voices!"


 

Jiyeon turned back and blinked twice.


 

"Huh?"


 

Hyunjung was internally screaming and she could feel a blush coming again, so she took a deep breath and rubbed the nape of her neck.


 

"I uh, heard that your partner didn't come so I want to fill in their shoes. If um, that's alright with you?"


 

Jiyeon's face hardened. She rolled her eyes and clicked her tongue.


 

"Oh, yeah. I don't know who that person is but they probably just volunteered and signed up so they could put something in their paper or something. It's stupid."


 

Oh, jeez, Hyunjung sighed in relief. For a second, she thought Jiyeon didn't want her to interfere. If she said that, then Hyunjung would get out of there and try her best to be as invisible as she could be in their shared classes. Jiyeon was usually cold and pretty intimidating whenever she was annoyed or someone she didn't like approached her back in high school.


 

Jiyeon looked deep in thought. Hyunjung nervously waited for her answer as she twiddled with her thumbs. Jiyeon was a little bit shorter than her, but she had the presence of a damn lion. She glanced behind Hyunjung just as the kids spilled into the room again and she smiled.


 

"Make sure to not scare the kids too much with your monster voices, Kim."


 

Hyunjung heart stopped.


 

Metaphorically!


 

"I— of course! I'm a professional!" Hyunjung joked and felt the tension leave her shoulders.


 

She walked towards Jiyeon, who straightened her posture. Her ears were red as Hyunjung smiled at her and they headed back to the center of the room together.


 

"Alright, we have a guest speaker for today!" Jiyeon called out.


 

Quickly, they crowded Hyunjung as Jiyeon muffled her laughter. At some point, Heechul passed by to check on them and he gave Hyunjung— she assumed— an approving nod. They took turns rea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter