Eighteen

Eighteen

Xueer groans in displeasure as the sun hits her eyes. Shuxin laughs at her but spreads the curtain to spare the recovering girl. The younger thanks her with a smile and was about to go back to her sleep when she somehow felt that her girlfriend wasn't in the room with her. She opens one eye to take a peek and was right enough when she only saw her best friend reading with her legs on top of the sofa.

Sleep left her then as she doesn't feel assured without the short haired woman by her side. Shuxin notices this and brings her a cup of water as well as open the television for her entertainment. She fixes the girl's bed in a comfortable sitting position before going back to read her book.

"Xinxin," she calls

"Hm?"

"Where's Jiaqi?"

"She left not long ago," the older girl answers without taking her eyes of the book. "She said she just has to take care of some thing. She'll be back soon."

Xueer doesn't question and entertains herself with the xianxia drama that is currently playing. The nurse comes in not long after to check her state and bring the meal that she is allowed to eat.

Hours has passed since she has woken up and her girlfriend was still nowhere to be seen. Shuxin received a call that made her rush outside leaving the girl all alone.

She huffs and reaches for her phone as she tries to contact her girl but her calls gets redirected to the voicemail. She gives up after the fifth time and closes her eyes as she waits for anyone to come and accompany her. What she didn't expect was for Yuyan to enter the room with a guitar in hand, Keran carrying a mini speaker and Jiaqi making an entrance with a microphone in hand.

Her eyes immediately flew to the calendar when Yuyan played the first notes for their performance. Her surprised eyes looked back at her girlfriend who smiled solemnly at her before singing the first line.

"I got a heart, and I got a soul
Believe me, I will use them both."

Xueer lovingly chuckles and smiles her lovely smile as she continues to listen to her love's soothing voice.

"We made a start
Be it a false one, I know
Baby, I don't want to feel alone."

Jiaqi takes a deep, nervous breath as she waits for the right timing to continue singing. Seeing her wonderful girl's flustered and surprised face was totally worth the trouble that she went through just to give her this surprise.

"So kiss me where I lay down
My hands pressed to your cheeks
A long way from the playground."

Xueer’s smile gets broader as she closes her eyes to reminisce their earlier days.

"I have loved you since we were 18
Long before we both thought the same thing
To be loved and to be in love."

Jiaqi takes this chance to gesture at Shuxin to bring her the flowers while the girl has her eyes closed.

"All I can do is say that these arms
Are made for holding you, oh-oh."

Xueer gasps when she opens her eyes and sees the bouquet of flowers in her hands.

"I wanna love like you made me feel
When we were 18."

Jiaqi steps forward and gives the flower to her beloved who hugged the bouquet in her arms.

"We took a chance
God knows we tried
Yet all along, I knew we'd be fine."

Xueer starts tearing up then and tries to stop the tears from falling by bitting her lower lip.

"So pour me a drink, oh love
And let's split the night wide open
And we'll see everything we can
Living love in slow motion, motion, motion."

Jiaqi’s smiles softens as she grabs the younger's hand and caress the back with her thumb.

"So kiss me where I lay down
My hands pressed to your cheeks
A long way from the playground."

Xueer couldn't stop the tears from falling and looks down to wipe the crystals down before sniffing and looking back at the romantic fox. 

"I have loved you since we were 18," 

Jiaqi grins making Xueer grin back. 

"Long before we both thought the same thing
To be loved and to be in love
And all I can do is say that these arms
Are made for holding you, oh-oh-oh,"

Xueer sets the bouquet at her side and loops her arms around the taller's waist as she hugs her.

"And I wanna love like you made me feel
When we were 18."

The hug doesn't last long as Jiaqi takes a seat in front of her and cups her face with one hand. Xueer automatically leans at the contact and momentarily closes her eyes before opening it again to look in her eyes. 

"Kiss me where I lay down
My hands pressed to your cheeks
A long way from the playground," 

"I have loved you since we were 18," Xueer sings along, "Long before we both thought the same thing,
To be loved and to be in love."

Jiaqi smiles adoringly at her before bringing her in her embrace as they reach the end of the song. 

"And all I can do is say that these arms
Are made for holding you
And I wanna love like you made me feel
When we were 18."

And then Xueer sings back much to Jiaqi’s pleasure.

"And I wanna love like you made me feel
When we were 18,"

Jiaqi brought their foreheads to together as they whisper at the same time.

"And I wanna love like you made me feel
When we were 18."

She sets the mic down and gently holds her face in both hands. Xueer's glassy eyes made eye contact with the fox's love filled ones. She lifts her head up and places a kiss on her forehead before brushing their noses and whispering,

"Happy Anniversary, love."

Happy tears fall on the younger's face as she buries her head in the crook of the taller's neck while her arms find their place around her waist. "Happy Anniversary," she chokes.

Jiaqi rubs her back and mouths a thank you at her leaving friends who gave her a thumbs up and wide grins. As they were left alone, Xueer raises her head from its home and Jiaqi naturally wipes her tears away for her.

"That was sweet," Xueer lovingly compliments.

"It was hard," Jiaqi sheepishly admitted.

The younger girl rest her head on the taller's shoulder as she interlocks their fingers.

"Thank you," she whispers.

Jiaqi softly smiles and kisses the top of her head.

"Anything."