One

a heartbeat away (just pull me in)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Time in: 06:22 pm July 7th, 2021

 

Reason: Fainting

 

Symptoms: Heart rate accelerated, pale, shallow breathing, low blood pressure.

 

 

 

Jiyeon woke up in a cold, white room with an IV in her right arm, a pounding in the left temple of her head, and a churning in her stomach.

 

 

 

She was in rehearsal, dancing— and then she’d started to sweat more than normal before her knees slowly turned to jelly and the edges of her vision had filled with an inky black. And then... 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴. Jiyeon looked to her side only to find Dawon, her choreographer, and Sojung, her manager.

 

 

 

Both called out her name at the same time, at the flicker of Jiyeon’s eyes opening.

 

 

 

Sojung shifted forward in her chair. "Are you okay?"

 

 

 

Jiyeon glanced down at her IV and then at her gown. "I'm in a hospital bed, so probably not." She sighed, sitting up and wincing at the jolt of pain she felt going down her back. Ah, so that’s where I fell. Rubbing her back, she could feel the large bump of raised skin already forming.

 

 

 

"What happened?" she asked both of them, only mildly annoyed with the hovering. It was kind of nice after all, even if she didn’t actually need it. If they didn’t hover she would be even more annoyed.

 

 

 

"Everything was fine, and then I noticed you were going a little slow and off tempo," Dawon started, biting the inside of her lip. "Then you just suddenly fainted on the floor."

 

 

 

"When was the last time you ate?" Sojung asked, worried, and possibly irritable. Jiyeon couldn’t quite tell.

 

 

 

Jiyeon bit into her lip, trying to remember. It’s not like she ever purposely skipped meals, but last night she was so busy and in the morning she had a signing event right away and after that, was rehearsal. "Last night." She said. That had only partially been a lie considering that she had eaten a protein bar.

 

 

 

With pursed lips, Sojung lowered her head giving off that kind of stern look, the beginning of a scolding. "Jiyeon unnie, I know it's a busy time, but you need to take care of yourself. You used to do so well..."

 

 

 

"I know, I know." Jiyeon waved her hand and closed her eyes. It was only that, well, Jiyeon wasn’t getting any younger, and with all these new idols continuously coming to the industry— she couldn’t let her age show. She needed to keep up, more than that; she needed to be better.

 

 

 

She leaned further back into the bed, only to hiss as her bruise collided with the bed’s surface. "I didn't mean to— I just forgot. I won’t anymore. Can I leave now? This thing is itchy." She glared at the needle sticking in her arm and wondered why the hell it was on her right side, not left.

 

 

 

"𝘒𝘪𝘮 𝘑𝘪𝘺𝘦𝘰𝘯-𝘴𝘴𝘪?" The low voice of a woman called out. In came a taller (𝘮𝘢𝘺𝘣𝘦 𝘢𝘯 𝘪𝘯𝘤𝘩 𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘸𝘰 𝘵𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯 𝘑𝘪𝘺𝘦𝘰𝘯, 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘭𝘭, 𝘵𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘳 𝘯𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴) black-haired woman with a clipboard in her hand. She wore a white coat that came down to her knees, beneath that black slacks and a blue button-up blouse.

 

 

 

𝘖𝘩, also she was really pretty. Like, supermodel-pretty and Jiyeon actually knew supermodels, but maybe she's more than pretty. Gorgeous, 𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯.

 

 

 

Again, not that Jiyeon didn't deal with pretty people on a daily basis given her career as one of the most famous idols; but wow. Glowing, milky skin accentuated the sharp line of her cheeks and jawline, all the way down to defined collarbones. She stood there, her deep dark eyes assessing Jiyeon, a thin layer of eye shadow; but no other visible makeup with the exception of a light gloss covering her pink lips.

 

 

 

"Kim Jiyeon-ssi?" She said, and it was then that Jiyeon realized the woman must have asked her a question or something.

 

 

 

"Oh, I'm sorry Doctor..." Jiyeon looked at the small tag on her lab coat. 𝘒𝘪𝘮 𝘏𝘺𝘶𝘯𝘫𝘶𝘯𝘨. What's the odds of having the same surname as your doctor... "Kim. What did you say?"

 

 

 

She sighed, and if Jiyeon wasn't mistaken, rolled her eyes. Doctors weren't typically known for great bedside manner, but Jiyeon wasn't your typical patient.

 

 

 

"We're going to do some bloodwork and a CT scan of your head. Right now we're giving you saline to help your dehydration and low blood pressure. A nurse will be in soon." With that, Doctor Kim walked away.

 

 

 

Jiyeon scowled at her back. "That was kind of rude," she said, glancing at Sojung and Dawon. "I didn't even get to ask questions. She didn't even ask me if I was okay!"

 

 

 

Sojung giggled, and with her annoying teasing tone, she said, "You're a little flustered, 𝘑𝘪𝘺𝘦𝘰𝘯-𝘴𝘴𝘪.”

 

 

 

"I am not!" Jiyeon could feel her cheeks getting warm. "Or, maybe I am. But only because she was rude."

 

 

 

Dawon smiled. "She's a doctor. Perhaps, she's just having a busy day, you know you're not her only patient, and it isn't like we took you to some random doctor. We need you in the best hands."

 

 

 

Jiyeon peaked up at Dawon, her lips shut tight. She opened to argue, realized she had nothing to say and closed it. 𝘉𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘴, 𝘩𝘶𝘩. "Who is she?"

 

 

 

"She's the future owner of this hospital as well as the owner of a clinic a few miles out of town," Sojung replied, her lips tilting up. "I've been looking for a primary care doctor for you for a while since you refuse," she glared, "to do so on your own. We got lucky with her being here, I think it's fate."

 

 

 

Jiyeon rolled her eyes. "You think everything is fate." She stuck her tongue to the inside of her cheek before biting down on her lip. A CT scan. "Is there something wrong with me? It's normal to faint, right? The CT scan is just... precautionary?"

 

 

 

Dawon nodded, giving her a soft smile. "Yes. They just want to make sure everything is okay, we asked for it. You had us worried there, besides— you hit your head pretty hard, unnie." 

 

 

 

At that Jiyeon brought her hand to her head, wincing when she found a large bump on the back, just below her scalp.

 

 

 

As she lowered her hand, the door creaked open once again. Except this time a smaller woman walked in, a bright blush on her cheeks as she smiled at Jiyeon. She tucked the hair in front of her ear behind it and cleared . "H-hi, Kim Jiyeon-ssi. I'm Nurse Luda. I'll be taking care of you today."

 

 

 

"Not the doctor?"

 

 

 

The nurse, Luda, shook her head. "No, she's not needed for these things. She'll come back when done, though." Then she stopped talking, actually stopped everything— like she was frozen, or something. Jiyeon almost got up to see if she was okay. Without warning she blurted out, "I'm a big fan, Kim Jiyeon-ssi!" Nurse Luda covered and looked down.

 

 

 

Like a switch, Jiyeon could feel her idol mode turn on. She gave the girl a wide smile, eyes disappearing. "Oh! Thank you very much— 𝘸𝘰𝘢𝘩—" She was about to give a 90-degree bow to Nurse Luda when her head began to spin with the quick movement. Didn't think that one through. 

 

 

 

"Unnie!" Sojung shouted as nurse Luda ran to her side.

 

 

 

"Please, Jiyeon-ssi, try to limit any sudden movements." She placed her hands on Jiyeon's arms to help her settle down into the bed.

 

 

 

Jiyeon gave a weak laugh, wiping the tiny sweats from her forehead. "I guess that was a lot, huh?"

 

 

 

"Unnie, do you not remember how you got here in the first place?"

 

 

 

"Yeah, yeah," Jiyeon grumbled. "But it’s always exciting to meet a fan!" Jiyeon's heart sank a little with embarrassment at the feeling of possibly disappointing, or even causing trouble for Nurse Luda. She's an idol. It's her job to make people happy, not stress them out. She sighed out a low, "𝘐'𝘮 𝘴𝘰𝘳𝘳𝘺."

 

 

 

 

"Oh, please! Don't apologize. I just don't want you to faint again, it's a pleasure meeting you, Jiyeon-ssi."

 

 

 

Jiyeon nodded but mentally reminded herself to ask if the nurse wanted an autograph later.

 

 

 

After that they went through blood testing, a series of drawing blood into different tubes, making Jiyeon more than a little squeamish. She hated needles almost as much as she hated seeing her own blood. It was just her and Nurse Luda, so Jiyeon attempted to make small talk. She found out that Nurse Luda likes a lot of idols and she's her most favorite which made her a little happy even though the blood was being drained out of her body.

 

 

 

When it came to the CT scan, the woman pumped something in her IV that kinda made her body feel kinda warm. "It's going to feel like you peed yourself," Nurse Luda told Jiyeon, but mostly it just felt like her lower body was being hit with a hot blow dryer.

 

 

 

After that, Jiyeon found herself back in the room she had been in before. Sojung and Dawon brought crackers, as order of the doctor to eat something. Jiyeon kinda wished that Doctor Kim would have told her that herself.

 

 

 

"Alright, Kim Jiyeon-ssi, you're free to go," Doctor Kim said about 30 minutes after Jiyeon came back. She checked the saline bag attached to the idol’s IV pole, squeezed it a little to see how full it was. From Jiyeon’s point of view it just looked empty. "Rest for today, we'll get your blood results in a few days, the CT scan results by tomorrow."

 

 

 

Jiyeon watched her as she walked over to her right side. When Doctor Kim touched her arm, she felt a brief jolt of electricity— or no— not like being shocked, but something super cold touching you when your body is warm. Jiyeon looked up at her only to see her pause for a second as well, idly Jiyeon wondered if she had felt the weird jolt too.

 

 

 

Then, carelessly, Doctor Kim ripped off the bandage covering the IV.

 

 

 

Without thought Jiyeon yelled out, "What the hell?!?"

 

 

 

"Ya— unnie!" Sojung chided, but when Jiyeon looked up she swore that Doctor Kim was smiling.

 

 

 

Jiyeon glared up, only getting angrier when she cocked one perfectly sculpted, eyebrow. With a smile faker than most of the people Jiyeon met on a daily basis, the doctor said, "𝘐'𝘮 𝘴𝘰𝘳𝘳𝘺." slowly, each letter perfectly enunciated.

 

 

 

𝘚𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘴𝘰𝘳𝘳𝘺.

 

 

 

Jiyeon grumbled out a just as fake, "It's fine." as Doctor Kim pulled out the needle.

 

 

 

Then, not saying anything more, the doctor left the room.

 

 

 

Jiyeon shooed out Sojung and Dawon while she changed out of her hospital gown and into normal clothes, mumbling annoyances about her new doctor and how she was so not going back to her.

 

 

 

Definitely not.

 

 

 

Even if Jiyeon did think she was inarguably 𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘷𝘦, and even if Jiyeon was kind of disappointed that the doctor didn’t seem to take, well, any sort of liking to her.

 

 

 

She was totally not going anywhere near Doctor Kim again. Never. Not in a billion years.

 

 

 

———

 

 

 

Time in: 8:00 am July 12th, 2021

 

Reason: Diagnoses

 

Symptoms: Heart rate accelerated, pale, shallow breathing, low blood pressure.

 

 

 

Hyunjung hated working with celebrities of any kind. They were always entitled and annoying and so overdramatic. Besides that, they got her nurses worked up every single time. Kim Jiyeon, 𝘢 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳-𝘩𝘰𝘵𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘵 𝘪𝘥𝘰𝘭 was no better. Hyunjung didn’t want to deal with her.

 

 

 

And Hyunjung especially did not want to deal with her at 8 am, but there she was, standing in front of Kim Jiyeon, three minutes past. Sure, Jiyeon was attractive— if you were into that insanely pretty, almost goddess-like face and also maybe just a little bit hot thing. Didn't make her less of a burden, though.

 

 

 

So, Hyunjung wanted to get the appointment over with quick, hoping that her bedside manner would be so bad Jiyeon would request another doctor. Of course she could just refuse Jiyeon, but that always looked so bad. And Hyunjung had already done that with two other patients, one a famous actress who hit on her twice, and another a woman who kept talking about her pet lizards. The lizard thing would have been okay if the woman had not brought them into her office one day.

 

 

 

Hyunjung looked at her clipboard, purposely avoiding Jiyeon's curious gaze.

 

 

 

"You have anemia," Hyunjung said, expecting shock or suprise, or some comment about dying.

 

 

 

"Oh," was all Jiyeon said with a small shrug. She might have even been relieved.

 

 

 

"You know what that is?" Hyunjung asked cautiously.

 

 

 

Jiyeon rolled her eyes. 𝘉𝘳𝘢𝘵. "Yeah, my little brother has it. It's like when your red, blood cell count is low, right?"

 

 

 

Hyunjung's eyes widened a little. "Yes, kind of. So you know about proper treatment?"

 

 

 

"Yes. Is that all?" Jiyeon looked down at her hands, toyed with one of her nails. 𝘞𝘢𝘴 𝘴𝘩𝘦 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯 𝘭𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨?

 

 

 

"That's all. You'll need to come in for checkups more regularly from now on, and I'll have them give you a print out of proper care up front."

 

 

 

Jiyeon stood up, stretched out her back muscles and arms. The hem of her shirt lifted a little, and Hyunjung accidently caught a brief glimpse of pale stomach. Well, less of a glimpse and more that Hyunjung just couldn’t stop staring.

 

 

 

Only because someone of her fame should look more professional while going out, obviously.

 

 

 

Jiyeon cleared , forcing Hyunjung to look up at one of the most annoyingly smug faces she'd seen in her life.

 

 

 

"𝘈𝘳𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘶𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘪𝘴𝘯'𝘵 𝘢𝘯𝘺𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘦𝘭𝘴𝘦?" Jiyeon asked.

 

 

 

This is why famous people were the worst. "Your things will be up front, Kim Jiyeon-ssi," Hyunjung said before leaving the room.

 

 

 

———

 

 

Time in: 10:00 am August 4th, 2021

 

Reason: Check up

 

Symptoms: Slight Fatigue

 

 

 

Okay, so yes, 𝘑𝘪𝘺𝘦𝘰𝘯 𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵 𝘣𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘵𝘰 𝘋𝘳. 𝘒𝘪𝘮.

 

 

 

At first it was because Sojung and Dawon gave her no choice since she was the doctor who did the blood work (𝘑𝘪𝘺𝘦𝘰𝘯 𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘢𝘳𝘨𝘶𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘵𝘦𝘤𝘩𝘯𝘪𝘤𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘯𝘶𝘳𝘴𝘦, 𝘣𝘶𝘵— 𝘰𝘧 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘴𝘦, 𝘴𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘰𝘶𝘵𝘯𝘶𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘥).

 

 

 

So she went to the practice, attempting to act as disinterested as possible. And that's when Dr. Kim got interested. 𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨. So even though Dr. Kim is what others might call (𝘰𝘳 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘴𝘱𝘦𝘳) a 𝘫.𝘦.𝘳.𝘬; she's one who totally checked out Jiyeon. And that was enough for Jiyeon to come back.

 

 

 

The clinic was nice enough. Small, with a few other doctors Jiyeon had seen the names of on the outside of the building. Doctor Yoo Yeonjung, an OB-GYN. Doctor Lee Yeorum, a pediatrics.

 

 

 

Inside everything was very woody, lots of redwoods. The chairs, the tables, the ticking clock in the corner of the waiting room. If Jiyeon breathed in hard enough she could smell lemon polish.

 

 

 

At the front desk, a woman was sitting next to a jar full of lollipops. She had one in , the white stick peaking out. She took it out, revealing a bright blue tongue. "Kim Jiyeon-ssi" she called out.

 

 

 

Jiyeon stood up, smiled at the woman. She was there last week too, another person who worked under Dr. Kim and was way nicer. Jiyeon looked at her nametag. Son Juyeon.

 

 

 

"Hi!"

 

 

 

Juyeon returned her smile, then said, "You can head on back now. Luda will take your weight and stuff."

 

 

 

Jiyeon looked to her side and saw the familiar face waiting for her. She'd figured since Luda was there last time, the nurse just worked under Dr. Kim. Jiyeon wondered if they were friends, if Dr. Kim talked about her, or complained.

 

 

 

"Hello," Nurse Luda said, bowing her head a little.

 

 

 

"So do you just work for Doctor Kim?" Jiyeon asked.

 

 

 

Luda guided her to a scale while nodding. "I work at both here and the hospital, like Dr. Kim. The clinic and hospital are connected and Hyunjung unnie— I mean, Dr. Kim likes to have me around." She chuckled at that, then wrote down Jiyeon's weight.

 

 

 

They headed into the office, white walls with a few pamphlets on the counter. Jiyeon sat down on the exam table, the wax paper crinkling below her .

 

 

 

Luda was mostly quiet as she got out the blood pressure pump and wrapped it around Jiyeon's arm. "Legs uncrossed," she said.

 

 

 

The cuff on Jiyeon's arm tightened, and the idol watched as the velcro seemed to split, making a light scratching sound in the silent room.

 

 

 

"So, how have you been feeling?"

 

 

 

Jiyeon watched the monitor as it beeped. "Uh, tired? I think I've been more tired."

 

 

 

Luda in her bottom lip while looking at the readings, all numbers Jiyeon really didn’t get. "Hmm... okay. Dr. Kim will be in with you in a bit."

 

 

 

And as it turned out a bit was more like 30 minutes of waiting. Jiyeon swore she was doing that on purpose. Her phone battery was already at 50% from the clinic's ty reception and her own everlasting boredom. She could only check her twitter timeline so many times. Maybe she should have tweeted something like, 𝘋𝘳. 𝘒𝘪𝘮 𝘏𝘺𝘶𝘯𝘫𝘶𝘯𝘨'𝘴 𝘤𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘪𝘤 𝘴𝘶𝘤𝘬𝘴.

 

 

 

But as it stood she had 9.5 million followers, and even she had her limits when it came to being petty.

 

 

 

"𝘒𝘪𝘮 𝘑𝘪𝘺𝘦𝘰𝘯-𝘴𝘴𝘪," Dr. Kim greeted.

 

 

 

Jiyeon examined her for a moment, looking up and down. 𝘞𝘩𝘺 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘴𝘰 𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘵𝘵𝘺 𝘴𝘰 𝘯𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘺? It wasn't an unusual concept for Jiyeon, but with Dr. Kim, it was more bothersome for some reason. More annoying than all of the fakes she met while doing her job. Maybe because Dr. Kim was supposed to be normal.

 

 

 

Jiyeon shifted on the exam table, cringed when the wax cover shuffled loudly under her body. "You took your time."

 

 

 

"Well, I do have other patients, Kim Jiyeon-ssi. If you'd like me to only cater to you, there are plenty of other doctors that would love to, I'm sure."

 

 

 

Jiyeon smirked at that, leaning forward a little. The wax paper shifted once again. "You don't love helping a famous idol?" she pouted a little, crossed her arms one over the other.

 

 

 

Dr. Kim mustered up a smile— her lips turning up forcibly like peeling wallpaper— but didn't actually answer the question. Either way, by the end of the appointment, Jiyeon was going to get some sort of reaction from her.

 

 

 

Walking up towards the idol with a stethoscope in hand, she placed the bell against Jiyeon's heart.

 

 

 

"You didn't answer me."

 

 

 

"𝘋𝘦𝘦𝘱 𝘣𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘩."

 

 

 

Jiyeon breathed in, humming as she did so.

 

 

 

“Breathe normally.”

 

 

 

Dr. Kim was gorgeous when she wasn’t being awful. So basically, when she wasn’t talking. The way her eyes focused on nothing in particular, but you could tell she was thinking. 𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘪𝘵 𝘸𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘥𝘦𝘦𝘱, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨. And how her jet-black hair fell into her face as she dipped down. Her chest fell slowly, so that Jiyeon could tell when she was taking in breaths. It seemed like all of them were long, her collarbones would rise, then dip, sticking out a tiny bit more beneath smooth skin.

 

 

 

"𝘠𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘣𝘦𝘢𝘵𝘴 𝘨𝘰𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯 𝘯𝘰𝘳𝘮𝘢𝘭," she said, placing the bell on Jiyeon's back.

 

 

 

Jiyeon jumped a little, her face turning red. "Huh, ah— 𝘸𝘩𝘺'𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵?"

 

 

 

"Are you doing the things that I told you to do?" The doctor asked, pulling the ear piece down.

 

 

 

"Well you didn't actually tell me anything, you just gave me a stack of papers."

 

 

 

"Because you said you already knew what you were dealing with."

 

 

 

Jiyeon's eyes narrow as she breathed in again, her face red for an entirely different reason. This Dr. Kim wasn't cute at all. She was just mean. "Well, 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘰𝘤𝘵𝘰𝘳, in any case, isn't it your responsibility to relay information no matter what the patient says?"

 

 

 

Dr. Kim scowled and looked down at the floor for a moment. "Yes, you’re right."

 

 

 

At that Jiyeon perked up, a grin appearing on her lips. "Thank you for acknowled—"

 

 

 

"I shouldn't have let a patient's naivety and bullheadedness get in the way of my job."

 

 

 

"Ya!" Jiyeon balled her fist up, an insult on her tongue, but before she could say another word a thermometer was being shoved in . She managed to mumble, "umforsthonal," around the thermometer before being shushed.

 

 

 

Dr. Kim took the thermometer out, looking at it carefully.

 

 

 

"Temperature is normal, blood pressure is low, though. Also, your heart beat is too fast. I'm going to prescribe you a medication that contains iron and B12; you are to take it twice daily, doctor's orders."

 

 

 

“𝘋𝘰𝘤𝘵𝘰𝘳’𝘴 𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘴,” Jiyeon mimicked without really realizing it.

 

 

 

"Super mature."

 

 

 

At that, Jiyeon stood up. "What the hell is your problem?" she asked. From day one, this woman had never done or said one nice thing. It wasn't like Jiyeon was being mean or anything, if anything her tolerance was being tested more and more each visit.

 

 

 

Dr. Kim whipped her head up to look at Jiyeon. "You're the one shouting, Kim Jiyeon-ssi. Please keep it down. You aren't the only patient here— even if you would like to believe so."

 

 

 

"I— you— ugh." Jiyeon's hands began to shake. How could anyone be this damn infuriating? "Is that all?" she snapped.

 

 

 

"Your prescription will be printed out up front," Dr. Kim said, smirking. Jiyeon had never hit anyone in her life, (𝘮𝘢𝘺𝘣𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦 𝘚𝘰𝘫𝘶𝘯𝘨 𝘢 𝘧𝘦𝘸 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴) but this lady... If Jiyeon had to fight anyone, Doctor Kim would be a strong contender.

 

 

 

Jiyeon stormed out of the office, already thinking of ways to get back at Dr. Kim on her next visit.

 

 

———

 

 

 

Time in: 10:35 am August 16th, 2021

 

Reason: Check up

 

Symptoms: None

 

 

 

Hyunjung walked into the room already preparing for the annoyance that was Kim Jiyeon. She'd even had an extra shot of espresso today.

 

 

 

She got the chart from Luda, seeing no notable difference in weight. Her blood pressure was closer to normal than the last visit, and according to what Luda gathered from Jiyeon, there were no real symptoms. It should have been a quick and easy visit.

 

 

 

But this was Kim Jiyeon.

 

 

 

Hyunjung walked into the office to find Jiyeon already on the examination table, her ankles crossed and hands behind her. She had on shorts and a knitted black tank top that was cut off just above the navel. After two visits to her office, Hyunjung would think that Jiyeon picked up on the fact that it was almost always freezing inside. And it wasn't like Jiyeon couldn't bring a 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘱𝘦𝘳 sweater into the office to cover up, Hyunjung had patients that went as far as to bring in blankets.

 

 

 

It had to be some attention-seeking thing or fashion or whatever, but Hyunjung wasn't going to play into it. She would not look anywhere but Jiyeon's eyes.

 

 

 

"Kim Jiyeon-ssi," she greeted.

 

 

 

Jiyeon glanced at Hyunjung and hummed before looking down at her hand. 𝘞𝘢𝘴 𝘴𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘰𝘶𝘴𝘭𝘺 𝘨𝘰𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘰 𝘥𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘣𝘰𝘳𝘦𝘥 𝘢𝘤𝘵 𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘪𝘯. 𝘏𝘢𝘥𝘯'𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘴𝘢𝘮𝘦 𝘴𝘪𝘵𝘶𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘴𝘵 𝘷𝘪𝘴𝘪𝘵 𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘤𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘪𝘤? Hyunjung suppressed her eyeroll.

 

 

 

Whatever, Jiyeon pretending to be bored was better than Jiyeon being completely annoying.

 

 

 

"How are you feeling?" Hyunjung asked.

 

 

 

Jiyeon looked up, gave a small smile. "Good, thank you. Those medicines have really worked, I think."

 

 

 

Hyunjung paused, opening as she fished for a reply, but closing when she realized she didn't have one for that. Jiyeon wasn't supposed to be polite. She was supposed to be irritating, pompous, entitled; literally anything but polite. Hyunjung squinted, pressing her tongue against the inside of her cheek.

 

 

 

She set up her stethoscope, readying the bell over Jiyeon's heart. "Deep breathes."

 

 

 

Jiyeon's heart was still faster than it should be, but a few pills can't fix everything. "Have you experienced any dizzy spells? Nausea, fever? Things like that?" She asked, moving the bell over to Jiyeon's back.

 

 

 

"No. And I haven't been as tired lately either."

 

 

 

"Deep breath," She said, her body craned around Jiyeon. Hyunjung listened to the quickened 𝘵𝘩𝘶𝘮𝘱 𝘵𝘩𝘶𝘮𝘱 𝘵𝘩𝘶𝘮𝘱, breathing in herself as she did so. She could smell something sweet and floral— almost like vanilla and jasmine. It was soothing, but then Hyunjung realized what she was smelling was Jiyeon's hair, and opting on holding her breath.

 

 

 

Annoying people didn't get to smell nice, and no matter how Jiyeon was acting, she still was an annoying person. Completely irritating and Hyunjung would still look nowhere but her eyes.

 

 

 

As Hyunjung reached back around she fumbled, her hand brushing over the skin of Jiyeon's mid drift. Very soft skin, but Jiyeon's skin. Hyunjung jumped back, then let out a slow sigh.

 

 

 

When Hyunjung looked up at Jiyeon, there was no real telling expression on her face. And for once Hyunjung wished that she would just smirk, or smile or something.

 

 

 

"I, uh—" Hyunjung breathed in through her nose. 𝘕𝘦𝘹𝘵 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘴𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘱𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘰. "Your heart is still going a little fast, so make sure you're taking care of that. But other than that, you're free to go. Though you should be getting another round of bloodwork done soon."

 

 

 

"Of course, I will do anything the good doctor says."

 

 

 

Hyunjung narrowed her eyes, her teeth set in a straight line.

 

 

 

Jiyeon was at the door by the time Hyunjung went through the words 5 times in her head. She pressed her hand against the frame leaning into it. "And by the way, 𝘏𝘺𝘶𝘯𝘫𝘶𝘯𝘨," Hyunjung's head jolted up at her name coming out of Jiyeon's mouth, the 𝘏 dragged out slow between pressed lips and the 𝘑 said with an absurd, unneeded flick of the tongue, "since I'm going to be a regular patient now, 𝘱𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘦 𝘤𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘮𝘦 𝘑𝘪𝘺𝘦𝘰𝘯."

 

 

 

With that, she walked away.

 

 

 

———

 

 

Time in: 10:00 am August 31st, 2021

 

Reason: Check up, bloodwork

 

Symptoms: None

 

 

 

Jiyeon sat in the chair, tapping her foot against the flooring of Dr. Kim's office. 𝘏𝘺𝘶𝘯𝘫𝘶𝘯𝘨. It was 𝘏𝘺𝘶𝘯𝘫𝘶𝘯𝘨'𝘴 office. Hyunjung who was 15 minutes late, but still 𝘏𝘺𝘶𝘯𝘫𝘶𝘯𝘨. Jiyeon had said it to herself a few times, practiced it, making sure it sounded natural on her tongue. She liked the name, or at least, she liked it more than its owner.

 

 

 

This was the edge she could get, this was the small semblance of power. She remembered when she first started out as an idol, really started. Saying someone's name gave you a tie to a person, a familiarity, a closeness. Most people loved it when Jiyeon said their name, they'd blush and get all starry-eyed. But Hyunjung wasn’t most people.

 

 

 

She was frigid, mean and closed off. Closeness was the last thing she would want from Jiyeon, so Jiyeon gave it to her anyways with one, simple word.

 

 

 

Jiyeon heard loud footsteps outside of the door and knew it was Hyunjung, so when the door opened Jiyeon made sure to smile at her. Hyunjung glanced down to where the idol was sitting, gave a small grunt, and looked at her clipboard.

 

 

 

"Bloodwork today, 𝘒𝘪𝘮 𝘑𝘪𝘺𝘦𝘰𝘯-𝘴𝘴𝘪," Hyunjung said, not bothering to look up.

 

 

 

"𝘑𝘪𝘺𝘦𝘰𝘯."

 

 

 

"Which arm?"

 

 

 

Jiyeon glared at Hyunjung, but the doctor wouldn't even look up from her damn board to see the glare, so really she just looked stupid. "Luda did it last time, 𝘏𝘺𝘶𝘯𝘫𝘶𝘯𝘨."

 

 

 

"Luda is our only nurse today and is helping out Dr. Lee. Now, 𝘒𝘪𝘮 𝘑𝘪𝘺𝘦𝘰𝘯-𝘴𝘴𝘪, which arm?"

 

 

 

"Call me Jiyeon, and I'll tell you." Jiyeon flashed one of her famous smiles, the really cute, and really 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘺 pretty one she used when she wanted something. The one where her eyes turn into crescents and—

 

 

 

"Don't tell me, and I'll restrain you."

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter