IMD

In My Dreams

                  

 

"Soooo, how did it goooo?"

 

Seulgi chuckled at the tone of the voice on the other line. It's her friend—Yerim, calling her after the blind date the girl set her up to. Seulgi heard the elevator ring and saw the floor number "4" on the monitor.

 

Yerim had been telling her to go on dates, she's already in her mid-20s and unlike her friend, who's already on the verge of getting engaged soon once Yerim proposes to Saeron, Seulgi is nowhere near the entrance of the "Wholesome Romantic Life" plaza. She shakes her head as she walked out of the elevator.

 

"It was fine.. and you're right, she's amazing, sweet, intelligent, and good lord; so is beautiful. Her name is pretty too, Joy Park. You didn't tell me she's Miss Chorong's sister." She heard Yerim humming from the phone, Seulgi pictured her friend smiling from ear-to-ear while listening to how she will describe the date. Miss Chorong is a senior of them who used to help when they need resources for review.

 

"And then, we went to the park, had some ice cream.. She told me stories about her med-school life. She has a pretty great playlist." She continued while walking, she spots her unit from the end of the hall but Seulgi decided to walk slower.

 

"Ohhhhh! Ohhh, do you like her now?" Yerim asks, excitedly. It made Seulgi laugh a little even with how exhausted she felt at that moment. She was almost drained because she and Joy went to five different places; Seulgi has a car so it was easy.

 

"Shut up, I only met her once."

 

"But you have her number! You can go on another date." Ah..

 

"Wait, you did ask for her number.. right?" With the emphasis on 'did', Seulgi sighed knowing she actually 'didn't'. And she knew Yerim was gonna scold her again.

 

"Sorry, I forgot." Yerim did not accept Seulgi's excuse—her excuses were always not convincing.

 

"HUH? IT'S NOT SOMETHING YOU FORGET AFTER AN AMAZING DATE!"

 

Seulgi had to pull her phone away slightly from her ear after she heard Yerim's shrieking scolding on the other line. Just in time, she's right next to her room that says "4-4". Seulgi takes her backpack to her front and starts fishing for her keys while holding her phone using her left hand.

 

"Sorry, I just.. you know.."

 

"Why won't you get her number?" Yerim asked, calmly this time.

 

Then, Seulgi realized, that her keys were not in her bag. She was scared she might lose it this morning—because she was meeting with a stranger (although the date went well, she was still cautious). Seulgi had asked her unit neighbor to keep the keys while she was out.

 

The woman who lives right across her unit. "4-5" is owned by Bae Joohyun, a good-looking woman whose hobby is to sit on her favorite spot of her couch: the corner most of it, and read her books.

 

"Seulgi? Why didn't you get her number?" Yerim asked again, from the other line. She heard her clearly.

 

Seulgi turns around to see—peek through the slightly opened door. There she saw the woman she's been pining for since she first step foot here. The reason why she couldn't ask for the number of a person who was like.. Seulgi's dream soulmate, the perfect girl, the girl who matched Seulgi's ideal mate. She couldn't ask a Joy.. because what she wants is a Joohyun.

 

                  

 

5 years ago, Seulgi moved apartments because this one is closer to her part-time job and classes. She did not have a hard time packing and moving because she's pretty much good at adjusting and the neighbor was very welcoming back then.

 

"Hi! You're the new neighbor, right?"

 

And there she was, Joohyun with cooking gloves, holding a still smokey pie on her hands.

 

"It's uh.. a welcome gift?" Joohyun tells her awkwardly when Seulgi did not respond. Almost immediately did Seulgi realize she was staring at the girl—she quickly put the box she's holding down on the floor between them to open her unit's door.

 

"Yes. Thank you!" Seulgi is a Mechanical Engineering student, she knows her stuff, she can get really good at learning and applying her knowledge to real life situations. Apparently, it didn't occur to her that the fact that Joohyun was using gloves meant that the pie was hot (yeah, she didn't have the time to notice the little smoke from the top of it to realize it's still hot). What did Seulgi do? She just tried to take the pie from Joohyun with her BARE hands.

 

"-"

 

                  

 

"Sorry, it's the first time someone's welcoming me—I mean, giving me a welcome pie." Seulgi sighed and leaned back on her couch after Joohyun finished wrapping bandage all over Seulgi's hands.

 

Smiling at her, Joohyun stood up and picked up the empty boxes on the floor before she began unpacking more of Seulgi's boxes.

 

The box she opened was filled with Seulgi's kitchen stuff. It wasn't that heavy but Seulgi wished she could help. After all, it's her stuff. She should be the one doing these. Joohyun was so nice to volunteer to help her. The girl was even apologizing for what happened when it was clearly Seulgi's fault.

 

Thank goodness, the pie was unharmed—only Seulgi's hands.

 

                  

 

It's obvious. Seulgi developed a crush on Joohyun although they're only interacting once or twice in a while, and those interactions are mostly nodding, smiling, and waving at each other when they see or meet in the hallway.

 

"Come on, Seulgi! You need to try it too! I can't be the only one tiring legs here." Yerim was going on and on about encouraging Seulgi to jog every morning like what her routine with Saeron is. Right now, the couple visited Seulgi's apartment after their morning jog.

 

"Hey—it's not me who's dating an athlete." Seulgi responded, placing her cup of cereal down the table—not forgetting to give a little smile to Saeron before she continued. "And please finish your meals, I want to sleep again, it's too early."

 

"It's not our fault that your friends are 'us', you'll be waking up early like today anyway because we'll be here so why don't you jog too?" Saeron is reeeaaaally good at explaining. Seulgi was almost going to say yes, but then, she's lazy. So, no, she shook her head and spooned two pieces of her cereals, eating faster to distract herself from her two nosy friends about to mess up her daily routine.

 

"We'll fetch you every morning if you want!" Yerim insisted, Seulgi chuckled sarcastically and pointed at Yerim's feet resting at the footrest because she was pushed hard today. Saeron is a good runner, Yerim must've tried catching up.

 

"How chivalrous, I'm good. Thank you." Seulgi tells her, hoping they'd stop.

 

None of the two spoke a word anymore and let Seulgi eat her cereals quietly. It was like that before a door opened, the one across Seulgi's unit, and Joohyun entered the room. Seulgi has been keeping her door open, one is because she doesn't use her air conditioner that much so she needs the temperature constant for the room temp and the second reason is that she wants to see Joohyun; whose door was always open too.

 

"Oh?" Saeron raised her eyebrows, eyes following the girl into her unit. Seulgi drank from her bottled water and finally gave her attention to the two older friends.

 

"What? You know her?" She asks them, Yerim smiles, nodding.

 

"She's the girl we see everyday. She jogs in the same area where we do."

 

Starting the next day, Seulgi decided she will jog every single day, early in the morning.

 

She got herself ready at 4 AM, plain shirt, jogging shorts, extra bandage patches on her pocket, a face towel and another towel for her back, and running shoes. She's waaay too ready for a first-time jogger.  At 4:05 AM, Seulgi heard Joohyun's door clicking. It meant the unit owner was heading out so Seulgi did the same. Of course, she acted like everything was casual.

 

"You jog too?" Joohyun asked as soon as Seulgi opened her door. The taller of the two just shrugged, so casual, so embarrassing.

 

"Yeah, I guess I do now," Seulgi replied with an awkward chuckle. She was thinking of telling Joohyun about how her two friends kept encouraging her to exercise but Joohyun went walking ahead of her after they exchanged smiles.

 

Unlike what Seulgi wanted, the two of them did not jog together like how she thought Saeron and Yerim did it. Seulgi was not ready, it's been years since the last time she actively used her legs. Joohyun was consistently jogging. Seulgi assumed it must be because she does this regularly so after an hour of trying to catch up, Seulgi gave up and walked instead.

 

It happened again, and again and again, and again. Seulgi can't catch up, no matter how hard she tries—well, she's not at that point where she'd gonna push herself so she just gives up every day. Seulgi sometimes wakes up late and when she gets out of her unit past 4:05 AM, Joohyun had already left. Joohyun is just fast and consistent and Seulgi ends up walking back to her unit because she's tired and sleepy.

 

That goes on for a month and a half until one day, when Seulgi walked out of her room at 4:10 AM, Joohyun was there by her doorway, waiting.

 

"Oh hey, ...why?" Seulgi asked, it's unusual to have Joohyun right here by her doorway.

 

"Do you wanna jog together? I'll be slower this time."

 

Joohyun is just very, very adorable.

 

From then on, they jog together and eat something after. It became their routine. There would be times they would see Yerim and Saeron around and those times came often that the couple got to know Joohyun as Seulgi's athletic neighbor. She and Saeron hit it off the first time they talked when the four of them had ice cream together.

 

                  

 

After some time, almost seven months after, Seulgi got busier with her classes and jobs taking over her daily routines so she stopped jogging. She still sees Joohyun going out for a jog and eventually soon, she comes back with a girl in her unit. Seulgi was jealous at first but she did not see the girl again after that day so she thought maybe that was just some classmate of Joohyun.

 

Anyway, thanksgiving came and Seulgi thinks she deserved it when Joohyun came knocking and ringing her door with a box in her hand. It was a gift, it's a small, wrapped in a blue ribbon box enough to fit a picture frame inside. Thankfully, it wasn't a picture frame.

 

"Thank you.. wow, I didn't know we're supposed to exchange gifts." Seulgi says while looking at the shirt Joohyun gave her. A black long-sleeved full-buttoned shirt.

 

"Oh no, no. You don't have to give me anything! That's just um, my gift to you."

 

Seulgi will be putting this shirt in a museum.

 

She spent the afternoon looking for something to give Joohyun. Seulgi was not really good at picking stuff for someone so she asked Google and luckily, she got a great idea of giving Joohyun a customized mug.

 

"Smile before you drink because I love your smile.." Joohyun read the quote on the mug and it just came to Seulgi that what she wrote was cringe and too obvious. In another lucky moment, Joohyun seemed unaware of how Seulgi's heart thumped. "Aww, thank you Seulgi! I love this, really." Joohyun giggled and hugged her.

 

That was their first hug. Unfortunately for Seulgi who was scared that Joohyun would figure out how she feels, Joohyun did not feel how fast her heart was nervously beating as they hugged.

 

After the thanksgiving episode, Seulgi and Joohyun—even with their separate schooling lives and jobs or hobbies, still found something to thank each other for.

 

                  

 

There's this suspicious thing going on between their units and it all started when Joohyun knocked on her door, asking if Seulgi can help fix her broken sink.

 

Despite living for more than half a year across Joohyun's unit, Seulgi still hasn't seen the full interior of Joohyun's home until that day when she came to check Joohyun's broken sink as asked. Seulgi is a mechanical engineering student and also happens to know her way about this stuff because she usually helps her parents back at home too.

 

"What have you done here after it got clogged?"

 

"Nothing, I went straight to you."

 

"Okay good."

 

Joohyun's place looked really nice. It's clear that Joohyun is a very organized person. She must be cleaning a lot too. Though most of her stuff are grayish, the place still looked cleaner than white, her living room was pleasing on the eyes and nose. Yes, it smells good too. Meanwhile, Seulgi's unit would only smell like something when she cooks something that has a strong scent, or when she sprays disinfectant all over her body, or when she uses perfume. Joohyun's place smells like something familiar and welcoming. The more she thinks about it, the more she falls for the kind of person Joohyun is. Seulgi's heart fluttered knowing Joohyun needs her for something-- even if that something involves getting soaked and sweaty while fixing the sink.

 

"Hey Seulgi?"

 

Seulgi turned the flashlight on and checked which pipe was damaged or if there's anything interesting there while Joohyun talks to her. "Yes?"

 

"What do you study?"

 

Ah yes. They've been interacting many times before but they never really got the chance to talk about personal stuff. All Seulgi knows is that they are going to the same school and that Joohyun studies Sanitary Engineering.

 

"Mech. E." She responded and heard Joohyun humming. Before Seulgi sat down to check the sink, she saw Joohyun leaning on the counter while watching her.

 

"I knew I came to the right person." Joohyun says and Seulgi chuckles as she pulls herself up to her feet from peeking down the sink.

 

"Mechanical Engineer at your service." She heard Joohyun laughing, Seulgi couldn't help smiling.

 

"Sorry. I know you study a lot more than just a sink."

 

After Seulgi's done inspecting, she turned to face Joohyun again. "It's okay. I can handle the sink."

 

Seulgi fixed the sink flawlessly. Joohyun made sure Seulgi would be assisted at all times and of course, the assistant is none other than Bae Joohyun herself.

 

"You're in Sanitary Department, right?" Seulgi asks while they eat pancakes, the one that Joohyun prepared to express her gratitude towards Seulgi.

 

Seulgi appreciates it, and loves the thought of Joohyun cooking for her. The food she makes are all wholesome anyway.

 

Joohyun hummed and nodded, "If you haven't noticed, I'm kinda sensitive when it comes to sanitary." She joked and well, Seulgi laughed wholeheartedly.

 

It takes extensive and unpleasant guts to not laugh when someone you like tries to joke or carry the conversation. Someone you like will always be attractive and interesting in your eyes and nothing can change that. It takes time to get over someone or find another love interest to stop the unchanging attraction towards Joohyun.

 

Also, it takes getting overly brave to ask a neighbor to clean your unit.

 

Seulgi can't stop thinking about the time she spent at Joohyun's two days ago. She keeps thinking, what can she do to have that kind of alone time with Joohyun again? Given that she can't barge in there to break the sink so she can re-fix it, she doesn't have the courage to ask the girl out as well.

 

I'm kinda sensitive when it comes to sanitary.

 

She's sensitive about sanitary.

 

Joohyun is sensitive about sanitary.

 

What did Seulgi do?

 

She messed up her unit.

 

"Oh my god.. What happened here?" Joohyun was shocked—to the point that she had to cover while looking at the mess on Seulgi's living room.

 

Seulgi, being smart, has prepared the response she'd say once Joohyun asked her. "I got drunk..?"

 

"Ouch!" Joohyun just slapped Seulgi's shoulder.

 

"You can't live like that! Fine, I'll help you clean."

 

Although Seulgi got what she wanted: to get an alone time with Joohyun and talk to her about personal stuff, she admits it's really hard to create a mess, especially when Joohyun cleaned it so well that Seulgi was scared to touch anything.

 

Seulgi can't sleep again, what can I do? That's what she keeps asking herself, what can she do to get Joohyun to hang out—in her room or maybe Joohyun's room. Any of their units. Seulgi just wants to talk to her again. So around 2 AM when Seulgi decided she'll get some sleep first, she also prayed hard to get her wishes to come true.

 

Her prayers have been answered after a week when Joohyun asked her to check the sink again. It's almost the same problem, only that this time, Seulgi had to buy a new PVC pipe because apparently, something broke the pipe directly from under the sink.

 

Seulgi got herself another meal and chat time with Joohyun.

 

Since it's been a week, she wondered.. it won't be too obvious if Seulgi pretends she was drunk and had created a mess again.. would it be?

 

"What the hell, Seulgi.. you should stop drinking."

 

Yes, she did it again. And even though everyone who knew her could tell that she was lying—because Seulgi actually doesn't enjoy drinking, Joohyun could never tell. Joohyun gets along helping her clean her unit again.

 

The whole "Fix-my-sink/Help-me-clean" routine went on for almost two months until Seulgi realized that Joohyun must be spending excessive amount of money with all the pipe purchases since the pipes are always the ones needed to be replaced.

 

"Maybe you should just stop using this sink you know, use mine instead, maybe yours is cursed." Seulgi joked after advising Joohyun about checking her expenses on this sink in the past month.

 

The other girl laughed and got flustered. "Y-yeah.. It's weird that the pipes always end up being damaged."

 

That one time was the last time Joohyun asked for her to fix the sink, maybe Seulgi did the greatest job this time that the sink has stopped getting broken over and over.

 

                  

 

Seulgi has become busy anyway as well, she started on-the-job training for her course and she had to complete the number of hours specified within the whole semester. Additionally, she's still taking her part-time job at the nearest convenience store and has an extra shift at night delivery of chicken at the store across their apartment. She is a hard worker, and maybe, all the jogging paid off too.

 

So then, her time spent for interacting with Joohyun had become less and lesser throughout their senior year.

 

One time when she went home with tired feet from all the cycling and finishing requirements in the firm where she was hired, Seulgi bought an expensive meal for her.. and for Joohyun. For some reason, she wants to celebrate and eat with Joohyun that night. It's the exact anniversary of when she first moved to her unit and she's doing pretty well with her jobs.

 

When Seulgi arrived at the fourth floor, she walked excitedly toward unit 4-5. She didn't even glance at her own unit and went straight to Joohyun's door.

 

But as much of excitement she had in her chest that moment, that same amount was shattered in pieces when she peeked through Joohyun's door and saw Joohyun kissing the same girl she saw one time months ago.

 

Seulgi stepped back, slowly—but she was still in shock that she almost tripped. Good thing she managed to hold onto Joohyun's doorknob. No—Not a good thing, the couple inside the room heard her and immediately went to check on her before she can even hide into her own unit.

 

The other girl's name was Seungwan. She resides at the 3rd floor and Joohyun happened to meet her that one time she was jogging alone.

 

Damn it.

 

Seulgi regrets she stopped jogging with Joohyun.

 

By that time she learned that Joohyun had been dating Seungwan for two months, Seulgi realized she already lost her chance. And by that moment, she was still not at that point where she was too hurt or broken.. maybe she still feels regretful but what's done is done. In fact, she and Seungwan became good acquaintances.

 

Seungwan was always nice to her, but even nicer to Joohyun. It's a given since they're dating. There are still those times when Joohyun would come knocking on her door to give her some of the cooked meals. Sometimes, with Seungwan. Sometimes, Joohyun would deliver it alone. 

 

Seulgi liked those times when Joohyun knocks on her door alone. 

 

But also, Seulgi likes that she gets free meal evey month when the couple celebrates their "monthsary". At least, she spends less for food. 

 

What Seulgi hated though, was that one time she's sitting on her couch watching an evening show on her TV— waiting for Joohyun or Joohyun and Seungwan to knock on her door because it should be that day when they would be cooking to celebrate yet.. Yet, it's already 10 PM and Seulgi heard no knock since morning. The couple usually comes by around afternoon. 

 

Seulgi wonders; did they celebrate alone? Decided not to cook? Should I check on Joohyun? But Seulgi was doubting if she should, she clearly does not want to see another episode of Joohyun and Seungwan making out when it should've been her in there. 

 

No, scratch that. Seulgi determined she should have moved on by now. 

 

There's only one way to aid the curiosity within Seulgi's head and chest. Why haven't they come? Have I moved on? 

 

So, Seulgi got up on her feet and wore her black slippers. She threw the remote on her couch and let the TV run on while she walked her way out of her unit. Then, she stopped and looked back to her unit, looking for something to give. 

 

Rule number 1 is to not act awkward around Joohyun so there should be a reason why Seulgi is knocking on Joohyun's door. 

 

Seulgi's eyes landed on one sealed cup of ramen on her kitchen counter. 

 

"Hi! My stove is being annoying, can I perhaps cook my ramen on yours.. Hey- Joohyun.." 

 

When Seulgi knocked on Joohyun's door, the girl opened it right away but turned away, back to her couch before Seulgi could see her face. Only when the girl sat back on the couch when Seulgi realized she had been sobbing, her shoulders are tensed and Seulgi could hear her silent sobs. 

 

Seulgi was unsure at first if Joohyun wanted her here. Seungwan was nowhere in sight, Joohyun is crying on their special day. Whatever happened was obviously painful for Joohyun and Seulgi knew she's supposed to comfort a person crying.. think, Seulgi. Joohyun had let her in earlier. Does it mean she wants Seulgi to comfort her? This is the second time this happened. Seulgi did see Joohyun crying one time before through her door but Joohyun said she was just watching a drama.

 

"Sorry.. You can eat your ramen now." Joohyun mumbled after the 5 minutes crying-comfort session. Well, Seulgi can't resist it earlier so she came to give Joohyun a hug and a pat—no, pats on her shoulders, telling her everything will be alright even though she's clueless about what's going on. 

 

Seulgi chuckled when she was reminded of her ramen. "Oh right, I forgot." She takes the ramen she left beside her seat in her hand and was about to get up when Joohyun pulled her again. 

 

"Yes..?" Seulgi looked down and met Joohyun's pretty eyes still sweaty from crying earlier. She looked so cute, so pretty even when she cried.. and Seulgi got the answer from her second question earlier. 

 

She hasn't moved on. 

 

"Thank you." Joohyun mutters before smiling at her. 

 

Thump. 

 

                  

 

It is wrong, very, very wrong to keep liking someone whose heart is already taken. It's cool if it's just a mere crush, an insignificant small attraction and interest towards the person but Seulgi has been liking Joohyun so much now at this point that she wouldn't categorize the feelings as just a mere crush. 

 

The thing is.. Seulgi doesn't feel pain. Seeing Joohyun cry made her feel annoyed at Seungwan but on the other hand, she still doesn't know what exactly happened between them. It's just confusing. Seulgi's already confused about how she'll handle her feelings and things got even more confusing because the next day, Seungwan was there back in Joohyun's apartment, having breakfast with Joohyun.

 

Seulgi just set in her mind: maybe Joohyun was crying for a different reason.

 

Anyway, since Joohyun had been sending Seulgi lots of food ever since they became neighbors; when Seulgi's birthday came, she decided she'll cook for her friends and for Joohyun. 

 

Seulgi texted her friends to come over, she also sent a text inviting Joohyun.. and even Seungwan. Around midnight before her birthday, she received three replies. 

 

Yerim : Happy birthday bear! Saeron said we'll come around 10 AM! ILYTYSMFEAHFEYDPDSS

Seungwan : Happy birthday :) Sorry, can't come. Joohyun won't want to see me there. Enjoy anyway.

Joohyun : Okay, open your door.

 

Okay, that was way too diverse replies from them and Seulgi was not in the mood to decode Yerim's message but she noted the time her friends would come over. Seungwan's message—did she and Joohyun fight.. again? But wait- Wait! Joohyun's at her door.

 

Seulgi threw herself out of her bed and didn't bother putting on her slippers as she rushed to her door. As expected, Joohyun was there with a party hat, wearing her reading glasses, in her white shirt, holding a box with cake on top of it, candles lit with a message on top of the cake that says: "Happy birthday, Seulgi! ♡"

 

"Wow. Thank you for this, Joohyun." That was all Seulgi could say. She could've said more but the 'more' includes, you're amazing and I love you.

 

"Just thank you? I baked this for you, idiot. Come on! Blow your candles!" Joohyun giggled while excitedly waiting for her. 

 

Seulgi clasped her palms together and closed her eyes, wishing for impossible things she wants to have and want others to get: including Joohyun's happiness. 

 

Once she's blown the candles off, Joohyun smiled wide at her again and passed the box on her arms. "I'll take pictures of you, wait."

 

It could be because they're neighbors, or maybe because they're door-to-door neighbors that they've become this close now but Seulgi was sure she wouldn't even get this much of Joohyun if she was living father from the girl's unit. After the picture taking, Seulgi invited Joohyun over to her unit and they ate bread—not the cake because Seulgi said she's gonna put it on her fridge and show it to her friends later. 

 

It's 1 AM and they've finished eating; Seulgi also ran out of things to tell Joohyun about herself. Side note here, Joohyun wanted Seulgi to talk about herself because as she said, 'It's your day so it should be about you.'

 

Now since Seulgi's done talking and neither of them is sleepy, Seulgi remembered Seungwan's text earlier. Would it be fine to ask her about it?  

 

"Seungwan and I are always like that. You don't have to worry." Joohyun tells her after she showed her the text. Seulgi's eyebrows knitted as she leans her elbows on the table.

 

"Like what?" She asked, careful not to sound too curious but Joohyun doesn't mind anyway. It's like they both wanted to talk about it. Joohyun needed someone to talk about it.

 

"On and off. I'm not sure when it's gonna stop though."

 

With Joohyun's response, Seulgi started asking questions in her head.

 

Why Seungwan?

 

Why, Seungwan?

 

"Don't you get tired?" Seulgi asks again, but this time, she's looking at Joohyun to see how she's gonna react. But,

 

it was a wrong decision. It seemed like Joohyun stepped back and didn't want to continue the talk.

 

"I'm tired. Let's sleep."

 

Joohyun was the only neighbor who Seulgi had constant communication with. Although they don't really spend that much time with each other like talking everyday, Seulgi knows they're close enough, closer than they were last year.

 

After Seulgi's birthday, they've become busier with the upcoming graduation. Seulgi would be spending the night at Yerim's sometimes for review assistance. Since Joohyun is also busy studying and she has Seungwan to entertain her anyway, Seulgi did not worry about the girl until it came to her that 1.) graduation is coming, 2.) Joohyun might be leaving the apartment by then.

 

(1) Graduation came.

 

It's the typical celebration day of four years of being situated in a tiring place they called the university where only the greatest and hardworking achievers get to survive and finish their courses in time. Seulgi's parents arrived early at her unit. Joohyun's too. Their parents have come to an interest in talking about Seulgi and Joohyun's achievements in life even though they've been just living for two decades only yet, the elders found strong words to express their gratitude for having hardworking and intelligent kids like Seulgi and Joohyun.

 

Their graduation ceremonies are gonna be held simultaneously but at different venues. So after the graduation, Seulgi decided she'll just text Joohyun to congratulate her. It was fine! No, it wasn't. She missed Joohyun already and she fears not being able to see Joohyun anymore once the girl moves out.

 

Joohyun congratulated her too. Seulgi couldn't decide though. She's been holding her phone for two hours now while her family is preparing food for dinner. Seulgi can't decide whether to ask Joohyun about her future plans or stay and let them slip apart this way because the girl already has Seungwan and it would be better for Seulgi if she moves on this way.

 

(2) Joohyun didn't leave the unit.

 

When Seulgi went back to her unit after 5 days of staying at her parents', Joohyun's door was slightly opened like how the owner always left it be. Seulgi needed to go back to her part-time jobs and of course plan for her next career move.

 

Seulgi's plan was supposed to earn enough money for half of the expenses for the review academy before she takes the board exams but it changed as soon as Joohyun walked out of her unit, asking Seulgi if she wants to come on a job interview together.

 

They both got hired.

 

Working life is one common phase in Seulgi's life she's been doing for years since she graduated from highschool. She's pretty good at catching up on things to do at work.

 

Unfortunately, Joohyun isn't the same case.

 

Seulgi noticed from the first month that Joohyun wasn't comfortable in her working space but she can see that the girl is trying. There would be times that Seulgi would approach her and ask if she could do anything to help but Joohyun would always insist she got it.

 

One time before a particular deadline for both Seulgi and Joohyun, their boss invited them to come to join a certain celebration that Seulgi didn't catch what was it about but of course, they agreed to come. Seulgi had already finished her task but Joohyun hasn't. Before their time-out strikes, Joohyun went to see their boss and Seulgi heard Joohyun asking for an extension.

 

Joohyun got scolded.

 

They still came to the party anyway and Seulgi knew Joohyun wasn't feeling well at all.

 

She was worried to the point that she didn't drink anything aside from water even though her boss told her to. She reasoned out that she's gonna drive for Joohyun although she didn't have a car.

 

Seulgi and Joohyun don't always come to work together. Seulgi wakes up late sometimes and Joohyun is always an early bird. One constant thing is that they go home to their units together, always. Seulgi makes sure Joohyun goes home safely so whenever Joohyun works overtime, she'd do it too.

 

This time too, they went home together. A sober Seulgi and a wasted Joohyun. Seulgi had her arms around Joohyun who can't seem to walk properly. The woman is reeking of alcohol.

 

"Joohyun.. We're here, give me your keys." Seulgi whispered. She whispered because when she talked normally earlier, Joohyun shushed her and covered , saying she's 'too loud'.

 

"Why is life so hard, Kang Seulgi?" Joohyun mumbles, eyes closed, an arm raised because she's holding onto Seulgi.

 

Poor Joohyun was on the floor, leaning by her door. Seulgi didn't think this day would come when she'll realize how much has she adored Joohyun as a positive person yet here she is, staring at the matured version of Joohyun who's desperate to have a good life but she can't seem to find a way to appreciate it. Joohyun is having a hard time. Seulgi didn't know what to do.

 

For some reasons, instead of grabbing Joohyun's bag and taking her keys, Seulgi sat down next to Joohyun and let her lean on her shoulder.

 

"Living as an adult is so hard.." Joohyun muttered with a soft sob.

 

"Joohyun, it's okay to cry but don't give up, okay?" Seulgi wanted to glance at Joohyun because she can feel tears getting her shirt wet but she didn't and let Joohyun cry.

 

"Coming from you." Joohyun replied shortly, Seulgi chuckles... confused.

 

"What?"

 

"Stupid. Do you know how many times I apologized to my sink just for you?" Huh?

 

"What..?"

 

Seulgi didn't understand, she wanted Joohyun to explain but she had no chance to do so.

 

"God, I hate my life. I hate Seungwan, I hate everything."

 

At that point, Seulgi thought Joohyun was just spitting words. She was drunk.

 

"Then why do you keep getting back together with her?" Seulgi asked, it took her a deep sigh right after. She's using up all her courage to ask these questions yet she can't ask Joohyun out.

 

She had many opportunities to do it but she didn't.

 

Seulgi regrets she didn't.

 

Joohyun hummed against Seulgi's shoulder before she mumbled another set of words to answer Seulgi's question earlier.

 

"Because I love her."

 

For the first time since Seulgi realized her feelings for Joohyun, she admits that she's hurt. Seulgi picks up Joohyun and lets her sleep on her bed as she takes her own rest on the couch. She didn't bother opening Joohyun's unit. As Joohyun finally comes to peace by sleeping, Seulgi comes to terms with her broken heart. Still, at the end of the night, she managed to conclude what kind of relationship would she continue giving and building for and with Joohyun.

 

                  

 

Two years had passed since that day. The reason why Seulgi agreed to the blind date that Yerim set for her is that it's the same day Seulgi cried because of her feelings for Joohyun.

 

"Seulgi? Are you still there?" She heard Yerim from the other line again. Seulgi chuckles and nods although Yerim can't see her.

 

"Yes, sorry. I'll call you later." Seulgi immediately hung up as soon as she saw Joohyun approaching her. The woman must have noticed her through the door since Seulgi was standing there for long minutes now. When Joohyun noticed she was there, Seulgi waved at her and Joohyun stood up from her seat, with the book on her arm as she approaches the door.

 

"Where have you been at day-off?" Joohyun rests her arm on the doorway. Seulgi smiled and pointed at her backpack.

 

"Uh, groceries." She lied. A habit she developed whenever she's in front of Joohyun.

 

"You've finally worn it." Joohyun playfully tapped Seulgi's chest and Seulgi chuckled. Yes, she decided to wear the black shirt Joohyun gave to her. "You decided to wear it for grocery shopping? Ya."

 

"And at night?" Joohyun asked again, Seulgi saw her eyes staring at her face like she was scanning Seulgi's thoughts.

 

Seulgi was quick to dodge her gaze. "Yeah, all day too. I needed to wind up."

 

She wanted to tell more. Honestly, she was thinking of telling Joohyun about her date but-- "Oh right! Here, I cooked some pie earlier, if you want.."

 

"Of course, I'd love them," Seulgi responded, and Joohyun went back inside her unit. She saw her walk around the kitchen aisle where the repeatedly broken sink is. Funny, she used to be there, fixing the sink every week because Joohyun asked her to.

 

"I hope you like it." When Joohyun gave her the plate of pie, Seulgi touched her hands and felt a ring on her finger.. Ah, right. She quickly pulled away when someone came out of the door, Seungwan.

 

That was it.

 

Seulgi smiled once again and gave Joohyun a signal that she's going in her own unit now.

 

Later on, she called Yerim again.

 

"Can you send me Joy’s number?"