Final

Never thought we'd have our last

Hyukjae’s body sags into the elevator wall after pressing his floor level. His back is aching and his legs feel like he’d just hit the gym for leg day, all typical effects of a great but very tiring day as an OMS. 

 

In hindsight, doing two surgeries in one day might not be ideal but when has it ever? Sure, one of the surgeries was only for an impacted upper canine, however, he did have interns present so Hyukjae needed to be in mentor mode. Meaning he needed to do the procedure much slower than he’s used to so that all the interns could see what he was doing. On top of that, he also had to be ready to answer the queries the interns will have, thus prolonging the usual forty-five-minute surgery. But who was he to complain? Hyukjae knew what he was getting into when he pursued this career path and not once has he regretted it. 

 

With a skip to his step, Hyukjae quickly approaches and unlocks his apartment door only to be baffled he swings his door open. 

 

That’s odd, the whole apartment is quiet except for the music softly playing from the speakers in the living room. What’s even odder is that only Haru has come to joyously welcome him home, usually, his equally excited boyfriend would come to join their two-year-old samoyed. 

 

Hyukjae crouches down to greet his fluffy baby (his main baby is still yet to make his presence known), the soreness of his muscles and the ache of his bones are slowly melting away with each delighted wag of Haru’s fluffy tail. He remains in that position until the samoyed has finished expressing his delight to Hyukjae coming home. 

 

When he rises to take his work shoes off and proceeds to place them neatly on the shoe rack just shy of the entryway, the music he heard from the door is much clearer and distinguishable. Once it dawns on him who the voice and song belonged, Hyukjae couldn’t help the snort that comes out. 

 

Who knew his boyfriend would be hooked on Taylor Swift?

 

"I didn't peg you to be a Swiftie, Hae, but I guess there's—what's going on here?" though his boyfriend’s back is on him, Hyukjae’s been in this relationship long enough to know that his boyfriend is definitely sulking. The real question here is: why?

 

Hyukjae approaches Donghae’s hunched figure, he looks even smaller courtesy of the thick blanket he cocooned his whole body in. His boyfriend is so well-wrapped inside the blanket that Hyukjae has to go in front of Donghae just to get a good look at his face.

 

"Are you sick? Have you been here on the couch all day?"

 

"You didn't message me at all today." Donghae has clearly ignored his question in favor of expressing his apparent dismay. If Hyukjae hadn’t been worried, he would have cooed at the surly tone thrown his way. It doesn’t help that Donghae is adamant about looking straight ahead instead of meeting Hyukjae’s eyes, all the while sporting furrowed eyebrows and a pout on his lips. 

 

After a few more seconds of internally cooing, Hyukjae decides to firmly plant himself beside his sulking boyfriend. His arms automatically wrap around his frowning burrito and stamp multiple kisses in rapid succession on Donghae’s cheek. "I'm so sorry about that, it's just been a really busy day—"

 

"You also forgot to give me something this morning." Hyukjae draws back a bit but still keeps his arms loosely wrapped around his boyfriend. He tries to wrack his mind for anything he could and couldn’t have done, any missed reminders or forgotten dates yet nothing seems to ring any bell. "I don't—I don't recall forgetting anything this morning—"

 

"Morning kisses!!” Donghae exclaims and as he does so, he bursts out of his blanket cocoon and crosses his arms over his chest, a displeased expression is written all over his face.“You. Forgot. To. Give. Me. My. Morning. Kisses. It's our first morning since I've moved in and the first thing I wake up to is your empty side of the bed."

 

"Hae, honey, I did try to wake you—"

 

"Well next time, try harder!” Donghae fully turns his back on his boyfriend, his arms are still crossed over his chest and though Hyukjae can’t see it, he’s positive that his boyfriend’s pout has deepened. “I can't believe I looked forward to morning kisses only to be disappointed that I wouldn't get them."

 

He’s upset… because I forgot to give him morning kisses.

 

Hyukjae stares at Donghae’s back for a second longer before a fond snort comes out of his nose.

 

Trust Lee Donghae to sulk for something as simple as morning kisses. 

 

So without wasting a second longer, Hyukjae begins his tried and tested way of coaxing a sulky Lee Donghae. Hyukjae starts by enveloping Donghae into his embrace once again. His boyfriend not pushing away is a really good sign so Hyukjae doesn’t pull away, daring to push his luck even further to softly nuzzle on Donghae’s nape.

 

“I’m sorry for not trying enough to wake you earlier before I left,” Hyukjae starts out slowly after feeling Donghae relax into his embrace, “my mind was already focused on what I had scheduled for the day and I forgot our ‘leave work out of the bedroom rule’. I won’t let it happen again.” he kisses the soft skin there before nuzzling it the way Donghae likes it. Just as he expected, Donghae shivers in his hold and his tensed posture sags and his back melts into Hyukjae’s chest.

 

Donghae turns around a minute later, he’s still pouting but his eyes have already softened. “I’m sorry too, I didn’t mean for this to blow out of proportion. I was just really looking forward to waking up beside you.”

 

“Oh, Hae, this is exactly why our friends tease us so much.” he chuckles and brings his boyfriend in tighter. Donghae wraps his arms around his waist and nuzzles his nose on Hyukjae’s cheek before tucking his face into the latter’s neck. “You know I never cared for their teasing, they’re just jealous.”

 

The last part cracks Hyukjae up. He doubts his friends are jealous when almost all of them are in loving relationships as well. Probably just the last remnants of Donghae’s brooding mood talking for him. 

 

Instead of a verbal reply, Hyukjae compensates for his slip up this morning by kissing everything his lips could reach. One on his boyfriend’s smooth forehead, one on each soft cheek, a short peck on the tip of his cute nose, and three quick pecks on his ruby lips. By the end of it, Donghae is a giggling mess and the pout on his lips is replaced with a bright smile. 

 

“Is it safe to assume that I’m already forgiven?”

 

“Forgiven and it’s already forgotten. But I’ll need to be compensated with food as well, who knew sulking could work up an appetite?”

 

Hyukjae doesn’t waste another second and opens his phone to click on Donghae’s favorite food delivery app. Can’t have his main baby starving just because he was upset with him.