fin.

if you want crazy (i'll give you psycho)

Minji does not consider herself the controlling type.

 

To control is to manipulate, but also to admit an unshakeable fear of the unknown; to wallow in debilitating insecurities, all traced back to a loss of boring sameness and safety in choices that eliminate a need for variables of any and all kinds. Though a creature of the night, Minji does not quiver in fear of the sun. She exists in spite of it, almost a walking defiance of every mortal stereotype meant to paint vampires in an insidious light. Contributing to the horribly inaccurate portrayals of her own people by subscribing to the beliefs of their human counterparts for something as mundane as “safety” is simply not something that Minji is interested in.

 

Realistically, she knows she has no reason to feel insecure in her relationship with Lee Yubin, Itaewon’s (human) needle-fearing tattoo artist extraordinaire. Being engaged to the love of your (admittedly very long) life is no laughing matter, especially in the vampire community; where taking a blood oath to stay faithful until the end of time - or risk suffering the most grisly death imaginable in the event that you break it - is about as common as the exchanging of vows at a human marriage ceremony. (Admittedly, vampires tend to be a bit on the dramatic side as far as declarations of love go, but Minji digresses.)


Despite all of that, however, her heart weighs heavy at the mere idea of potentially not being enough for Yubin. She doesn’t consider herself the controlling type, and she’s completely sound in her comfort with the human being able to make her own decisions in her day to day life, but that’s just it. Yubin is human , one especially prone to mistakes and lapses in judgment. Minji trusts her, but she doesn’t trust the people Yubin surrounds herself with - or, in this particular case, the people that she naturally attracts.

 

“That’s your girl over there, isn’t it?” The voice simultaneously brings Minji out of her thoughts and sends her spiraling even deeper into her self-inflicted mental purgatory. She’s no stranger to the younger vampire’s company, and they spend quite a lot of time together at the bar, though she supposes that has to do with Handong’s fixed position as the front-of-house bartender. The scarlet-haired woman vaguely nods to her right, eyes fixed on the edge of the club’s dimly-lit dance floor. “I’ll never understand how you managed to find a keeper like her, honestly.”

 

“I wonder that myself,” Minji admits, and under normal circumstances her soft voice would be impossible to hear over the cacophony of EDM music and inebriated conversation, if not for Handong’s supernatural senses. She’s tempted to follow the other vampire’s gaze, but her eyes stay trained on her half-full glass of Bloody Mary (emphasis on bloody). Handong doesn’t need to be a vampire to read her insecure feelings, as Minji absently twists the engagement ring between her fingers. “I didn’t expect to fall in love, much less want to marry her. But life has a funny way of working like that, I suppose.”

 

“So I’ve heard.” Handong’s tone is a varied mix of intrigue and amusement, not uncommon for the vixen-esque woman. “Have you done it yet?”

 

“Done what?”

 

“You know what I mean,” She can practically hear Handong rolling her eyes. “Have you marked her?” At Minji’s silence, she continues. “I’d be careful, then. Doesn’t matter if your scent is all over her, other vampires are going to see her as fair game. Like, ah... that one, over there.”

 

Minji’s head shoots up with such intensity, Handong almost worries that the older vampire snaps her neck from the force of movement. It would almost be amusing to see Minji’s expression cycle through a variety of emotions, if it wasn’t for the fact that the older vampire would definitely kill anyone daring to look at Yubin in a less than platonic way. (There are plenty of rumors surrounding Minji's protective nature when it comes to her fiancée - Handong would wager that approximately half of them are true. Stories of a coven leader decapitating a werewolf for merely following her human lover home always make their rounds at the bar, and although the younger vampire can never quite confirm the legitimacy of the claim, something tells her that Minji is definitely capable of committing such an act.) Her upper lip curls in a threatening snarl as the glowing crimson of her eyes centers on two figures in her peripheral vision.

 

Yubin, beautiful, lovely Yubin stands with the woman that Minji wants to keep away from her at all costs.

 

Lee Siyeon is not technically the worst person her fiancée could be stuck with, but Minji detests her all the same. Choppy black hair that spills halfway down her lean frame, although something tells Minji that a good portion of her voluminous locks are just poorly blended extensions. The younger vampire is conventionally attractive, with a triangulated bone structure and wolfish eyes, but her personality is one that Minji simply cannot stand. At some point they used to be friends, but they quickly drifted apart after news in the coven got out that Minji was to marry a human in the near future. She's not certain on where the younger woman's apparent disgust for mortals comes from, but Minji supposes it has something to do with her outlandish superiority complex born of her vampiric heritage. Siyeon is good at seducing humans, their blood, and not much else.

 

Yubin should be nowhere near her, but now the human laughs a genuine laugh (one that should be reserved for Minji’s ears alone, she silently seethes) at whatever stupid drivel spews from Lee Siyeon’s mouth, and words can no longer describe the raging jealousy boiling in her gut. It's no secret amongst the coven that Siyeon flirts with anything that moves, and from afar it is a cringeworthy display, but it feels much more personal when her own fiancée is the target. Red hot rage courses through her veins, and before Handong can prevent her from engaging the other vampire, Minji promptly vacates her seat at the bar.

 

"Hey, pretty girl," Minji lowers her voice to a murmur, arms wrapping around the human's waist from behind. As her head rests on her fiancée's shoulder, she feels the smaller body relax, similarly as she senses the relief from Yubin's poorly-hid emotions. She fights a victorious smile, pressing a chaste kiss to her jawline. "Miss me?"

 

"Oh, hey." Surprise colors Yubin's voice, but so does an easygoing warmth that never fails to make Minji melt on the inside. Gods, I love her so much. "Sorry, I kind of got a little lost in the crowd. But, uh, Siyeon-unnie pointed me in the right direction." Seemingly oblivious to the jealousy practically radiating from Minji, she continues talking, this time towards the younger vampire. "Oh, yeah. This is my fiancée, Minji… Thanks for helping me, by the way."

 

There is a very clear change to the younger vampire's demeanor once she implicitly connects the dots - Minji would find it hilarious, if it wasn't for the other woman's severely outdated views on the human race. Siyeon puts on a smile, but Minji can practically smell the disgust and annoyance roiling off of her. "It's no problem. I don't mind at all!" She definitely does mind, if the utter fakeness of her tight-lipped smile is anything to go by; Minji barely manages to keep her virulence contained. "Have a nice night, Miss Lee."

 

Minji doesn't consider herself a necessarily mean person, but watching Siyeon vanish into the crowd as if someone stole her first-place trophy at an award ceremony fills the older vampire with indescribable satisfaction - and relief. (The last thing she needs is Lee Siyeon of all people giving Yubin trouble, she can't risk leaving the two alone in the same room together, after all.) Her grip tightens around her fiancée's waist, unable to help the flare of possessiveness in her demeanor. She's mine. Yubin is mine, the mantra repeats in the back of her head over and over.

 

(Jealousy isn't a pleasant quality, but if it isn't overdone - and if it's combined with modesty - apart from its inconvenience, there's even something touching about it.)

 

"What's up with you?" Yubin's voice breaks her from her self-imposed stupor, equal parts concerned and amused. "You seem awfully touchy."

 

"Am I not allowed to shower my lovely fiancée with affection?" Her pout bleeds into her tone, not that Minji really cares. "By the way, stay away from her. She just cares about drinking your blood." In a way, Minji cannot help but pity someone like Siyeon; so miserable, yet helpless beyond saving from her own nature. She will never rise above a predator's status, and for that reason, Minji doubts the younger vampire will ever find meaningful love, certainly nothing like the miraculous union between her and Yubin. Cruel people offer pity when they no longer feel threatened; Minji can't help but wonder if that applies to herself. "She sees you as a blood bag, not a person."

 

"If memory serves correctly, you wanted to do the exact same thing when we first met," the human chuckles. "Wait a second. Is that…jealousy I hear?"

 

"What? No! Why the hell would I be jealous of Lee Siyeon?" One can only be jealous of someone who has something you think you ought to have yourself - and by no means does Siyeon have anything she deems valuable enough to harbor envy of the other woman. Minji physically recoils at the mere notion of it all. "She's a bloodsucking creep. I, on the other hand, actually love you. And, more importantly, she should know that you're off-limits." For emphasis, she presses a chaste kiss to the nape of Yubin's inked neck, right above the still-healing teeth marks from their last feeding session. "You're mine ."

 

The sharp intake of her quivering breath and the sudden increase of Yubin's heart rate makes the teasing all the more worth it, in Minji's opinion. What she doesn't expect, however, is for Yubin to respond with her own provocation. "Why don't you remind me, then? Who do I belong to, Minji?"

 

Minji's eyes dilate at the challenge. It could be the alcohol talking, or perhaps Yubin is getting bolder in public - a far cry from the girl that used to freeze up at the mere thought of holding hands on their first date - but Minji digresses. Her breath tickles Yubin's skin, just barely scraping the surface with her fangs. It's a dangerous game they play, Minji would never in her right mind feed in public, nor would her human fiancée offer to do so. Both of them have had entirely too much to drink, Yubin's apprehension is palpable, but so is Minji's own hunger.

 

"You belong to me, pretty girl."

 

"Prove it, then."

 

Minji sinks her teeth into Yubin's offered neck, and feasts.

 

Mine.