fin.

August

It was early in the morning when Chaeyoung received a message from Dahyun, her best friend.

Dahyun: I deserve to drink

Her friend rarely drink alcohol but with those words she can tell that her friend was broken and drinking is part of her process of moving on.

Chaeyoung: Are you crazy? It’s still 9 in the morning but
Sure, let’s meet at ** 8 pm. Your call, okay?

 

Fast forward

Chaeyoung was waiting for her friend to speak up because as she met her earlier there was no words from Dahyun. After taking 2 shots of brandy, she heard a deep sigh from the latter.

“Everything was greatly fine, not until the month of August is approaching. It was every year, for two years, the same thing just happened.” Dahyun said as she just drank another shot.

 

“Is this about Sana?” Chaeyoung asked.

 

“It’s always Sana since then”

Flashback

August 2021

They were happy as a couple not until the month of August entered.The two were sitting on the couch, but Dahyun noticed that this wasn’t the comfortable silence they used to have.

 

“Are you okay?” Dahyun asked Sana.

 

She didn’t answer but her eyes were tearing up.

 

“I’m sorry.” Sana hung her head low.

 

Dahyun was confused but suddenly realizes that recently Sana was weird or rather distant. She should’ve expected this.

 

“Did I do something wrong?” Dahyun questioned.

 

Sana shook her head while her tears were dripping to her lap.

 

“I don’t love you anymore.”

 

Dahyun felt cold as those words came from Sana’s lips as she was refraining herself to cry infront of the person she loves.

 

“Since when?” Dahyun blankly said.

 

Dahyun was hoping that this was all a prank.

 

“Last week of July” Sana’s voiced cracked while sobbing.

Dahyun didn’t speak as she let herself hug Sana while the older was sobbing harder not hugging her back.

 

Months later 

Their first ending was a heartbreak but they decided to be friends as they break the norm that “Exes can’t be friends.”The friendship was smooth, they are always there for each other, talk about random things, have spontaneous meet ups like what friends supposed to do.

 

Even they both know that they still have lingering and blooming feelings for each other. Weeks of having their new setup as friends Sana confessed to Dahyun and asked for a second chance to fix the relationship she ended, as she knows that Dahyun still loves her.

 

Dahyun accepted her, because she’s Sana. 

 

She can’t imagine herself turning Sana down when she also wanted this.

 

It’s greater the second time, they say.

 

They were both ecstatic having it the second time around. Sana was vocal on how she feel everyday as Dahyun requested it after what happened before, maturity and honesty was the answer. It made the couple's relationship stronger but that doesn't mean it will not end.

 

The relationship lasted for almost a year until Dahyun’s fear came, The month of  August.

August 2022

This wasn’t Dahyun’s month as she experienced a lot of problems. This time she was the one who distant herself from Sana because she doesn’t want to let Sana know her issues.

 

“Love, are you having a problem?” Sana asked.

“Nope” Dahyun answered but It is evident in Sana’s face that she’s not believing her lover.

“I’m just here if you need someone to talk to, I’ll understand.” Sana hugged Dahyun.

“Please don’t be tired of me” Dahyun silently thought.

 

Dahyun wanted to talk to Sana about it but herself can’t also explain her thoughts. A week passed and nothing changed, it was also a week since Sana and Dahyun last met.

 

“Can you please tell me what’s bothering you?” Sana asked on a phone call.

“I also don’t know…” Dahyun said.

“How would I understand, if I don’t know what’s on your mind?” Sana was frustrated thinking that Dahyun was just hiding it from her.

Dahyun gave her a silence.

“Is it me?” Sana asked.

 

Dahyun felt bad as Sana was already blaming herself because of what is happening to her.

 

“No, No, it’s not you”

“I’ll figure this out.” Dahyun said as Sana’s sigh was heard on the other line.

“Please don’t get tired on me” Dahyun told Sana.

“I wont, I hope so. Please tell me when you are already okay.” Sana said.

 

Again week had passed and it became worst because Dahyun haven’t told Sana a single thing about it and that caused her to also give a break for their relationship.

It was a midnight in August when Dahyun received a message.

 

Sana: Dahyun, I’m tired

          I don’t know how to understand and handle situations like this

 

Dahyun: I’m sorry for making you feel like this Sana, I’m sorry.

 

Here we are again, having this kind of conversation Dahyun thought.

 

Everyone knows about the saying history repeats itself, and Dahyun believes on it because after a month Sana and her settled to be friends again.

 

But there is a difference for this year, someone unexpectedly entered Dahyun’s life, It was Mina a person whom she met online.Mina was the one who stood beside her on times that she can’t understand herself. Mina didn’t understand her but her patience waiting for Dahyun was long.

 

But one day, the person she can’t resist contacted her.

 

Yes, It was the only Sana

 

Sana tried to ask for another chance, after leaving Dahyun for the second time. Coming back into Sana’s arms was a clear option but having Mina beside her…

 

Dahyun won’t let it happen for the 3rd time.

 

She was also tired of Sana hurting her. Meeting Mina in the right time, she realizes that she also deserves to have a happy ending.

 

Present

Dahyun took a shot of Brandy.

 

“Then why are you drinking as if you don’t have Mina?” Chaeyoung asked.

“Mina and I are still not together, we’re still getting to know each other.” 

 

Dahyun chose to slow process with Mina as she is still healing from Sana and doesn’t want to hurt Mina.

 

“Oh, I see” Chaeyoung listened.

 

“Sana was very hard to resist, Chaeng.” Dahyun looked at her shot glass and smirked.

“Turning her down was a heart break for me, but I also want to experience a happy ending.”

 

So for this time, it’s not Sana anymore.” 

 

“Cheers?” Chaeyoung gave her a sad smile.

“Cheers!” Dahyun said as they clink their shot glass.

 

Dahyun smiled as she is drank another shot in this cozy bar with her best friend, but now she is choosing her happiness for this month of August.