The One Shot!

Lose You

Overseas stuff is scary, going to unknown places where people speak in another language. There are also the cultural norms and what not to think about! Aigoo, I wish I could have just stayed home with my colored pencils, Soeun thought as she packed her bags for their first overseas trip as Weeekly.

“Oh, I know I’ll just stick to Soojinnie. She always knows what to do.” Soeun thought aloud as she zipped her bag close.

Hearing this, Zoa pouted and teased Soeun that she didn’t want to spend the trip with her. This caused Soeun to chase Zoa around her bed while assuring her that she would also spend time with her during the trip. Eventually, Soeun was able to catch up with Zoa, tackling her onto the bed. The pair then rolled around as Soeun tickled Zoa’s stomach and waist.

The laughter and screams stopped when a knock resounded on the room’s door which opened a second later.

It was Soojin and she was holding her phone. Someone was on the screen.

Jiyoon.

“Soeun-ah! Zoa-ya! How are you two? I hear you guys are leaving today for London?” Jiyoon merrily greeted the pair who immediately rushed the phone, eager to talk to their Wednesday.

“Jiyoon-ah! How are you?”

“Are you okay Jiyoon-unnie?”

Zoa and Soeun were rushing at the screen, trying to converse with Jiyoon who was laughing her head off. She had missed the ruckus the Weeekly members were able to conjure up at a minutes’ notice. Soeun could see white bed sheets at the background, Jiyoon must have just woken up or something.

The conversation lasted for nearly half an hour until Soojin remembered that she had to bring Jiyoon to Monday and Jaehee who were also packing up. She was able to detach herself from the two giants who were tugging at her with all their collective strength as they still wanted to talk to Jiyoon for a few more minutes.

“Aigoo…” Soojin muttered as she fixed her shirt while she walked to where Monday and Jaehee was.

“Doing, okay? Leadernim?” Jiyoon asked, hearing the sigh of breath that audibly came out of Soojin’s lips.

“Yeah, those two are just quite something else…really.” Soojin replied with a chuckle.

She hadn’t slept yet as she was consulting with their managers as to how their trip was going to be conducted. From their itinerary, to the amount of luggage they were going to bring, and even their leisure time in between schedules. Soojin fought tooth and nail to get extra leisure time as she knew Zoa and Soeun would want to wander around the new place. Zoa more than Soeun honestly, the kid was an experienced traveler being the only one with any overseas experience among the seven of them.

“Haven’t slept yet. Right?” Jiyoon asked.

Soojin could only nod as she faced the phone’s front camera towards her face.

“Remember to rest every now and then. They can take care of themselves, there’s Soeun and Monday.”

“I know you can do it. If you wanna talk about leader stuff, call me. Even if I’m not part of you guys…anymore.”

Soojin fought to choke back tears as she mustered a smile and thanked Jiyoon for her kind and thoughtful efforts. She remembered Jiyoon’s back as she closed the dorm room’s door for one last time. She didn’t want to break down now, when everyone else needs her the most.

As Soojin went nearer Monday’s room, she could already hear Jimin’s voice along with Jaehee’s. They seemed to be bickering. Again. Oh, Jihan’s voice was also here. Great, three birds with one stone, Soojin thought.

Knocking on the door, Soojin repeated what she did earlier with Soeun and Zoa.

Hours later, all six of them had finished in preparing for their flight. Luggage packed, all freshly dressed and prepped for the press appearance. Fansites and reporters were probably waiting at their departure terminal.

“We’re going on a plane, Soeun-ah, not a date.” Soojin whispered as they rode the elevator down.

“Jagi, I’m dolling up for you.” Soeun whispered followed by a quick giggle, holding her hand tight. Soojin reciprocated the gesture by wrapping an arm around Soeun’s waist.

Exiting the van, they went straight to the van while the managers lugged their bags onto another van. Getting on, Soojin sat with Soeun, Zoa with Jihan, and Monday with Jaehee. Strapping on their seatbelts, each girl got out their phone. It would be a long trip to the airport.

Monday was sitting nearest to the door and the flashes of camera flashbulbs told her that they were already at the airport before the manager riding with them told her or even before the van stopped. Fansites and reporters were already snapping photos of the van before the door had opened. She also noticed that there were noticeably more people crowding around than ever before. Their fanbase was growing.

The manager riding at the front got out and waited for the signal to open the door. Once he received it, he slid the door open and Monday came out first along with Jaehee. Zoa and Jihan came second. Soojin and Soeun came out last.

The screams the fans made when Soeun got off startled her. It was like a roar of admiration coming from a thousand people. Smiling, the girls lined up side by side, leaving a gap in the middle to pose for the photographers. They did this for a few minutes before they walked into the departure terminal. Quite a number of fansites followed and snapped photos of them.

“Hey, its MakeMySunday.” Soeun whispered towards Soojin’s ear, telling her that her fansite was snapping photos of her.

Soojin jokingly raised the iPad she was carrying to obscure Soeun’s face and posed for MakeMySunday. Lowering her hand, she and Soeun formed a heart with their hands. MakeMySunday was a girl about Soeun’s height, wearing all black from the baseball cap to the canvas shoes she always wore. She had been Soojin’s faithful fansite since then.

They got into their plane without much incident. They occupied the middle column, being sat on the first two seats with a manager sitting at the third seat. Each column had three seats which meant that the team occupied an entire aisle of middle column seats.

Jihan and Zoa were already filming and taking selcas for the fans and social media contents later. Soojin decided to take a rest for a bit and leaned on Soeun’s shoulder. Monday and Jaehee inquired a stewardess about the food and its availability later on in the flight. Last night, Monday was all about getting familiar with British cuisine which she and Jaehee tried to recreate. The endeavor ultimately failed and they dejectedly ate whatever concoction they made.

The pilot came on the PA system and announced the departure. Phones were asked to be shut off and the flight stewardesses demonstrated safety protocol and briefed the passengers on crucial information. About a quarter of an hour, the plane slowly taxied to the runway. Minutes later, the girls all felt the tug of g-forces upon them as the plane roared down the runway and ascended into the blue skies.

Soojin woke up a couple of hours later. They were somewhere over the Atlantic and most of the passengers were already asleep. Soeun was still awake, chatting with Daileees on Bubble. Gently pressing on Soeun’s entwined hands, her head immediately pivoted towards Soojin’s where a kiss was waiting to land on her cheek.

“We might be seen.” Soeun whispered.

Soojin only giggled and kissed Soeun once more before leaning on her shoulder once again.

Heathrow Airport came into view at about eight hours later. Lining up perfectly, the plane landed down smoothly on the paved runway as the pilots skillfully maneuvered the plane into disembarking position at one of the designated gates.

The girls were honestly surprised when they came out of the arrival’s terminal. Fans, British and European fans alike were waiting for them at the airport. Some had even come from France and Germany as evidenced by the flags they were waving. They tried to interact with the European Daileees as best they can despite protests from the security team. Jihan was able to quickly snatch a proffered Olivia Hye photocard from a Daileee before she was tugged away by one of their manager unnies. Similar to Inchon International, they stayed for a few minutes to pose and take photos with the fans before they went inside the chartered transportation.

The van went straight to the hotel so the girls could unpack and relax. The management had booked the girls a room for each pair and a room for them. This allowed the girls to maintain their dorm setup. Soojin had suggested it, stating the very same reason to their managers. But we all know what Soojin was really after, bribing Jihan and the others.

“Oh? I was expecting Hyewonnie…” Soeun said with a hint of surprise when she saw that it was Soojin who came through the door instead of their maknae.

“Fine, I could go and call Hyewon…” Soojin said with a pout, turning back.

Soeun caught up with Soojin just in time to prevent Soojin from leaving.

“I’m just kidding…come here dummy.” Soeun said and pulled Soojin to the bed.

Soojin was about to get up, reasoning that she had to unpack but Soeun pushed her down and flipped her over her back. She knew that Soojin was stressed, Soeun could tell from the way Soojin walked and behaved earlier.

Moving her hands onto Soojin’s back, Soeun went to work on giving her a massage.

“How’d you know?” Soojin asked, surprised.

“I’m your girlfriend dummy.” Soeun said with a chuckle.

The day passed with the girls just resting in the hotel, their first appearance would be tomorrow noon at the convention. They had the morning free and each pair already had a list of places to visit. Zoa and Jihan will be going to the British Museum while Monday and Jaehee would visit various restaurants. Soeun and Soojin would go to a park then a café before the call time at two in the afternoon.

The next morning, they all said their see you laters towards each pair and headed off to their destinations. Zoa and Jihan took the famous London Black Cabs to the British Museum while Jimin and Jaehee hoofed it around to the nearest restaurant.

“Well?” Soeun said with a smile as she waited for Soojin to finish fiddling with her phone. She was setting up a translator just in case the need arises.

Another Black Cab passed and they managed to hail one cab directing the driver to The Regent’s Park. They had seen the park during the flight in the in-plane entertainment center and decided to drop by if they were given the chance. The trip was short as apparently, the park was near the hotel where they were staying at. After paying the driver, they got out and went towards the park hand-in-hand.

“Weren’t you worried the other day inside the plane?” Soojin asked when Soeun took Soojin’s hand in hers.

“Yeah, well there’s no Dispatch here… I hope.” Soeun said with a cheeky grin.

The pair continued on walking through the Regent Park, taking in the foreign scenery and watching citizens go about their business. Sitting on a bench, they sat close to each other and held hands while watching the various people interact around them.

“They look so romantic.” Soeun said, gesturing towards an old couple walking hand-in-hand down the street. They looked to be very much in love with each other despite the evident decades of marriage.

“I want that.” Soojin said.

“With me?” Soeun cheekily asked.

“Who else, silly.” Soojin said, flicking Soeun’s forehead.

After a while they got up and decided to get food at the nearby café. Soeun had her earphones on, a portable version of the IEMs she uses on-stage. Soojin kept a hand on Soeun’s arm to guide her as the giant bear was effectively deaf to the outside world when she uses those IEMs.

The couple was walking through the park when suddenly a kid tripped and scraped her knee on the pavement. Without thinking, Soojin immediately rushed over to check on the kid. Gently blowing the scrape wound, she then placed a spare band aid on the kid’s knee. Helping the kid up, Soojin gave her a handful of candies to console her. Soojin had always kept a pack of bandages in her bag during times of emergency.

Like that one radio show appearance of her and Soeun during the Holiday Party era.

Minutes later, a flurry of footsteps was heard. Soojin looked up to see an older woman, possibly the child’s mother. She thanked Soojin profusely for the help and she replied that she was welcome. High-fiving the kid, she cautioned her to be careful next time.

“Okay, that was a rush right Soeun?” Soojin said as she turned around to where she had left Soeun.

“Soeun?”

Soeun was gone.

Panic immediately began to set in within Soojin’s body. If they were in Seoul, it was no problem. She knew the city like the back of her hand plus she knows Soeun’s routine. But she, they were in London. A vastly unfamiliar place to both of them.

Calling Soeun yielded no effect. She wasn’t picking up. The phone was probably in her bag. Soeun uses a Hi-Fi player to listen to her music. She doesn’t use her phone for music listening and is stashed mostly in her bag if she and Soojin were on their dates. It was Soeun’s personal rule. No phones when she and Soojin are having a date. Before she knew it, Soojin was speed-dealing Jiyoon’s number.

“Hey, Soojin-ah this place looks cool.” Soeun said as she turned around, finally putting away her audio player and IEMs.

But what Soeun saw shocked and scared her at the same time.

Soojin was nowhere to be found.

“Soojin?” Soeun called out once more while she was fumbling for her phone. Hitting Soojin’s number on her speed dial, Soeun anxiously paced back and forth, willing Soojin to pick up.

“Your number is not setup for international calls. Kindly subscribe to an international plan.” A robotic voice droned in her ear. Soeun wanted to cry as she stashed her phone back in her bag.

Pacing back and forth, Soeun willed herself to calm down. She needed to think straight. She was in an unknown place with a language she’s not completely fluent in, and chock-full of unknown people. A calm mind is what she needed.

“Okay, Soojin-ah calm down. I tried calling Soeun, but the telco wouldn’t patch the phone through as Ssong isn’t in an international plan.” Jiyoon tried her best to calm Soojin down who was almost close to breaking down now.

“Think…where would Soeun-ah go?” Jiyoon said.

“Food…she’s hungry. Always.” Soojin said, choking back tears.

“Okay, find a map. Identify food places near there and think, would Soeun eat here? Its our best shot. If that fails, call the managers and the police.” Jiyoon said.

Nodding, Soojin thanked Jiyoon for the advice. Hanging up, she tried to compile a list via google and by asking the passers-by.

“There’s the Regent's Bar & Kitchen not far from here dearie.” A kindly old woman suggested.

“The Drunch Regent’s Park too, your friend might be there.” The woman’s husband said.

“Odette’s Kitchen! They serve good bread there; your friend might like it there.” A woman wearing roller skates said.

There were other suggestions that passers-by and google gave Soojin. She listed them down in her phone and consulted her map application for directions. One by one, Soojin went in, peered through the windows, and asked the wait staff for Soeun, showing her photo to every waiter, barkeep, and barista that she talked to. No one had seen Soeun.

As Soojin neared Odette’s Kitchen, she could smell the bread being baked and served. Surely Soeun would be attracted towards the smell. Picking up the pace, she almost ran inside. Quickly spotting a woman in a white tank top and black jeans, Soojin immediately ran towards the lady. Tapping her shoulder, she hoped to see Soeun’s face while munching on a piece of bread.

But it wasn’t.

“Help you?” The woman asked…she was a local. A British teenager that had similar height and build Soeun has.

Shaking her head, Soojin apologized, telling the woman that she had mistaken her for someone else. The young lady assured her that it wasn’t a problem and that she takes care. Quickly leaving the restaurant, Soojin scanned her notes. Only two more places left.

She was losing hope fast…the managers would probably scold her for it. But she didn’t care. All she wanted at that moment is to see Soeun’s face and feel her warmth.

Exiting the last restaurant, Soojin was defeated. Soeun wasn’t seen anywhere at all. Standing by the curb, Soojin heard a male voice call out to her.

“Miss? Hey you there miss, please wait.” A man wearing a baker’s garb called out to her.

Approaching the man, he immediately went on telling Soojin that a girl that looks exactly like the one in the photo she showed them earlier went inside and bought a couple pieces of bread. He told Soojin that she immediately left towards the direction he specified.

Hope surged in Soojin once again and thanked him profusely. She had taken off in the direction in a brisk jog, hoping to see Soeun nearby.

And lo and behold, Soeun was indeed there.

Sitting on a bench, munching on bread. She looked scared, like a kid separated from her mother.

“PARK SOEUN YOU BABO!” Soojin yelled as she ran towards Soeun, tears flowing from her eyes. Crashing into Soeun’s chest, Soojin cried and nagged at Soeun about how worried she was for Soeun’s safety.

“Sorry, Soojinnie. I didn’t notice you got left behind. I was really scared.” Soeun apologized.

“Scared enough to buy bread? Yeah right, gimme some!” Soojin said as she wiped her tears away.

As they were eating, Soeun slid a bracelet over Soojin’s wrist, interlocked it with hers and clasped it shut. Soojin looked up at her with a quizzical expression.

“Magnetic couple bracelets. So, I won’t lose you again.” Soeun replied with a sweet smile that melted the last vestiges of Soojin’s anger and annoyance.