is it a date?

Is it a date?

 

Karina walks out of the building and spots Winter standing outside. "What are you doing here?" she asks, stopping in front of her. "Picking you up, obviously," Winter answers and opens the door for Karina to get in. She runs to the other side to get into the driver's seat and starts the car. "Rina, seatbelt," she says, looking to her side for a quick moment before putting her focus back on the road.

 

Karina connects her phone to the car's Bluetooth and plays her playlist. No one is talking; they are simply listening to the song. Although the car ride is silent, Winter can sense the screaming stress Karina has been throwing at the back of her mind. She takes a U-turn, going somewhere she thinks will make Karina feel relieved. 

 

"Minjeong," Karina calls, noticing that the way to her house has changed. "This is not the way to my house. Where are you taking me?" she asks, eyebrows furrowed as she looks at the girl. "You'll see." Winter gave her a look and a small smile, then continued to drive. Karina stares at her for a moment and then turns to look outside. "Do you think Gorf is a nice name for a cat?" Winter asks. "Hmm, it's alright. Are you planning to adopt one?" Karina answers as she opens her phone. "Maybe." 

 

"Oh. What about Juno?" Karina suggests and changes the song playing. "Yeah, I like it," Winter replied. "We're here," she added, turning the engine off, and looked to her side. She gets out of the car and runs to the passenger side to open the door for Karina. "A carnival?" Karina asks, and before Winter could even answer, Karina bolted inside. Winter chuckles and closes the door, locking the car. She followed inside, "Wait for me!" she said, running after Karina.

 

"Winter, can we try this game?" Karina asks, stopping by the Balloon Pop stall. Winter nodded and paid for a round at the game. They handed Karina five darts, and in an attempt to pop the balloons, Karina threw a dart. Her first dart missed, and she threw another one. And another one. On her fourth attempt, she popped a balloon. And on her last, she popped another one. "Minjeong, look, I won! Look, I won this!!" she expressed, excitement written all over her face, waving the penguin stuffed toy she won. "Yes, yes, I know. You are doing well, Jimin." Winter replied with a smile printed on her face. Karina smiles back and runs to another stall. Winter's gaze follows her, still with a smile and her hand by her heart, feeling the pounding beats it made. "God, I love this woman." Winter thought as she went after Karina. If the blind could see, this girl would be in custody, trying to win her heart back after it had fallen into Karina's hand. But no, she decided to let it be. They went around and tried different games at the carnival until Karina asked Winter if they could stop for a moment and eat. 

 

"Minjeong, let's try that!" Karina exclaimed, pointing to the corn dog stall in front of them. 

 

"Alright, go order. I'll get us something to drink." Winter said as she went to find lemonades. 

 

"Hi, two lemonades, please." She ordered. Winter looked around as she waited for the drinks. Her eyes stop at the basketball game with the sign "Slam Dunk!" on top of it. But before she could go, her order was already ready. "Here you go, miss!"

 

"Thank you," Winter said and paid for it before leaving. After a few minutes of walking, she spots Karina sitting alone. 

 

"Hey, what took you so long?" Karina asks

 

"I saw a game we haven't tried yet. Let's go there after eating." Winter suggests before sitting down. Karina nodded as they started to eat. 

 

If the people around them care, they'd think both of them are in a relationship. Winter looked at her lovingly. And Karina focused on her food. Clueless that in front of her is someone who's head over heels.

 

"What?" Karina says, lifting her head. "Huh? Nothing," says Winter, who got caught off guard. 

 

After minutes of eating, both have decided to go to the game Winter saw earlier. In front of them is the same basketball game. Winter went ahead and paid for a round. "You get three chances per round. If you shoot a ball, you win a prize." the owner said while pointing to the stuffed toy hanging behind him. 

 

For Winter's first attempt, she missed the basket. "Alright, I need to shoot this. Get it together, Winter." She thought before shooting the second ball. She missed again. For the third ball, she fixed her posture, thinking of the same thing earlier. But like the first and second ball, she missed. "It's alright, Win. You did well." Karina tried to cheer her up with her words.

 

"I'll give it another try," Winter said, paying for another round at the game. She shot the first ball, only for it to miss the basket. Karina watched Winter get the second ball. That also means she saw her get irritated. When Winter got her third ball, she shot it, eyes closed, praying it went in as if this was a real basketball game. And in it goes. "Congratulations! Here," the owner said, making her open her eyes. Winter smiled as the owner gave her the stuffed toy she got for Karina.

 

"Here you go, Jimin!" Winter hands her the toy, presenting a big smile. "Thank you for this, Min!" Karina said, giving Winter a soft smile. 

 

"You're Welcome," Winter said, holding Karina's hand. "Let's go?" she added. Karina gave her a nod, and they walked towards the exit. 

 

When they're at the parking lot, Winter goes ahead to find her car, with Karina following behind. Winter opened the door for Karina and waited for her to go in. 

 

"Thanks," Karina said as she sat in the passenger seat. Winter closed the door and ran to the other side. Karina watched her put the seatbelt on and start the car. "What? Did you leave something behind?" Winter responds to Karina's stare. She didn't give her an answer, causing Winter to assume that she did leave nothing behind.  

 

"Alright," Winter started to drive while Karina played a song. It's night already. They were having fun earlier and probably forgot about the time. Karina's busy on her phone, and Winter's still driving. But little did Karina know, Winter takes a glance at her every moment she gets. 

 

After a few minutes of driving, Karina felt the car stop. "We're here," Winter said, but before she could get out of the car to open the door, Karina already went out, leaving a confused Winter inside.

 

"Rina, wait!" Winter yelled as she went out of her car, stopping Karina in her tracks. "Hmm?" Karina turned to face her.

 

"Did you have fun?" Winter asked, looking down at her feet.

 

"Yes, Winter, I did." Karina chuckles, putting a hand on Winter's shoulder.

 

"Really?" Winter asked again, eyes wide open with a smile evident on her face.

 

"Yes, I can't even stop smiling! Thank you for this date, Minjeong."

 

"Well, I love making you smile," Winter said, "Wait, date? This was a date?" she added.

 

Karina giggled at Winter's reaction. Her eyes were wide, a big smile she couldn't hide, and her cute voice Karina truly adored. "Yes, you dummy. Thank you again for tonight." She said, kissing Winter on the cheek. 

 

After that little moment, she walked away to go inside her house, leaving Winter, who was still processing what had happened.

 

"IT IS A DATE, RIGHT?" Winter yelled, "OH MY GOD, IT IS A DATE!" she added, jumping around alone outside Karina's house. 

 

Her excitement got cut off when she heard her phone ring. She takes a look and sees that it's Karina calling her. Winter looked at Karina's house and answered the call, "Jimin,"

 

"Go home safe, Min. Call me when you get home." Karina voiced, looking at Winter through the window. "Yeah, I will." Winter waved goodbye and entered her car.

 

Karina put her phone down as she heard Winter's car leave her driveway. She suddenly giggles, remembering how Winter jumped around like a child a while ago. Her excitement won't fade; she is over the moon. And just as she was getting to sleep, her phone rang. 

 

"Winter," Karina called out her name.

 

"I'm home," Winter answered, lying on her bed.

 

"Hmm, good to know." Karina had said before sitting down. Silence engulfed them as no one dared to talk. "Karina," Winter broke the silence. "Yeah?" she responded. "Let's have another date next week," Winter said.

 

Winter didn't mean for it to sound something like a statement. She was also shocked by the words that left . Karina is still silent while Winter patiently waits for an answer, fidgeting with her bed sheet. 

 

"Alright. Goodnight, Winter." Karina responded, ending the call. The corner of Winter's lips couldn't help but turn upwards. Her hand over her heart, feeling the loud beating of her heart.

 

Meanwhile, Karina plopped down on her bed, screaming happiness. Just like Winter's, Karina's heart is in glee. She's happy with the thought of having another date with Winter. Karina calms herself down before drifting to sleep.

 

"Goodnight, Karina," Winter mutters, closing her eyes with a smile on her face. 

 

Who would've thought they'd date? Probably the people around them. The two were oblivious to what their friends had seen before, not until tonight happened. Both hearts are happy, taking the chance to love each other as they deserve to be loved.