fin

somewhere only we know

If anyone were to cross her path at this very given moment and ask, Jessica would lie and say she has never seen this tree. It was bigger than the others and sat right by the water of the Han River. 

 

She stared at the trunk, remembering the way the wood chipped when she carved their names into it fifteen years ago. 

 

Jessica pulled down her cap, leaning her back on the tree as she soaked in the warm night sky. She heard the crunch of leaves coming from the other side.

 

“You came.”

 

“We made a deal, remember?”

 

“Promise me something. That no matter where we are in life, no matter how we are, we will come back to this tree. At the same exact time and day in fifteen years.”

 

Jessica couldn’t see Taeyeon, couldn’t bring herself to walk around the tree and engulf her in a hug like she used to back when they were teens and hopelessly in love. 

 

“How are the others? Been busy preparing for the reunion comeback?” She kicked a lone rock that tumbled onto the grass in front of her. Taeyeon sighed, heavy, but not as heavy as the ones from years ago. 

 

While it was true that Jessica hadn’t been in the presence of Taeyeon since that fateful September day, the energy practically radiating through the tree brought nostalgia to her. Like they were never torn apart to begin with. 

 

“It would’ve been more iconic if you could join.” There it was, that hint of playfulness Taeyeon always had bubbling right under her facade. It made Jessica’s heart swell. 

 

“I think the world would have a heart attack.” 

 

Silence washed over them, but the sounds of the city remained, reminding them that they were not alone in their own world. The harsh reality of where they are and who they are. 

 

“If we meet then, it’ll mean that we still love each other.”

 

Taeyeon gazed up at the stars, letting Jessica soak in her words, her deal, so to speak. She tore her eyes away to look back at the other girl. 

 

Jessica had carved their initials into the tree. 

 

“Deal.”

 

“Goodbye, Jessica.”

 

“Goodbye, Taeyeon.”