The Future

Stay (My Beauty)
Chapter Three - The Future

Once upon a time, Yujin made a promise to show Yangjaecheon Stream to Wonyoung when they made it back to Seoul again. And today she’s keeping that promise. Although Wonyoung is of Korean descent, her family has immigrated to Japan for many generations so to Wonyoung, South Korea is like any foreign country. 

Surrounded by cherry blossoms, forsythia, and spiraeeae, they enjoy a walk down a trail on one side of the stream. As Wonyoung takes in the beautiful spring flowers, Yujin takes in Wonyoung’s beauty. Her eyes and lips are smiling like a kid in the middle of a candy and toy store. 

“I can see why you wanted to come here, other than it being one of your favorite pastime places when you were in high school. It’s beautiful here, to the point of feeling healed.” Wonyoung voices. 

Yujin slid her hands into her pants pocket and hummed, “I’m glad you think so.”

It’s only been three long minutes since Wonyoung last looked Yujin in the eyes but when she does, Yujin shifts her gaze to the pavement under them. Wonyoung expertly catches on, be it Yujin was wearing her emotions on her face or the way she dodged eye contact that is unlike her. 

When Wonyoung stops and stands still, Yujin takes no more than four steps and does the same. As Yujin turns to face Wonyoung she sees that the other’s happy smile has transitioned from a jovial into a thin smile; her lips are no longer at a 150 but 190 angle. 

“Do you remember our conversation in Osaka? About the purpose of your staycation?” Wonyoung adds when Yujin doesn’t seem to fully follow. 

Nodding, Yujin answers, “Mmm. We talked about resting and using the time apart to revalue ourselves.” 

“And have you been doing what we agreed upon?” Wonyoung’s tone was firm yet mindful. 

“What do you mean?” 

“I mean,” Wonyoung crosses her arms, “have you been doing the two things we discussed or have you been resorting to self-criticism?” 

Yujin furrows her brows, “Self-criticism? Let’s say I did. Say I spent every day trying to understand why someone like you stay and put up with someone like me. The reason you haven’t kicked me to the curb when you’ve had 11 years to do it. Particularly when I bring nothing to the table. No matter how I spin it. No matter how much sleep I lose. I could only think of one reason and that is, if I have an inferior complex then you must have a superiority complex. Right?” 

Wonyoung’s face doesn’t change like she expected Yujin’s answer and indictment. “Not right. I understand it’s a hard concept for you to accept but not everyone has ulterior motives.” 

Exhaling through her nose, Yujin doubtfully asks, “And that concept is?” 

Instantly, Wonyoung closes the gap between them and places a hand on Yujin’s right shoulder. 

“The reason we fought together for 11 years is the same that brought us together in the first place. And that is Love.” Slowly but surely, Wonyoung retracts her hand and smiles, “Since we’re at one of your favorite locations, you should be the one to make the final decision. I’m going to use the line of large rocks over there to cross the stream while you stay here and decide. If we should stop at 11 years or keep going? If you leave without crossing the stream then I’ll fly back alone to Japan tonight. But if you cross the stream then you must promise to be kinder to yourself and recognize that I’m your girlfriend, your equal—not your enemy. Even if you see me as one, in the end, love wins; as long as we remain together and continue to love each other, we’re both winners.”  

Yujin observes silently and dwells on Wonyoung’s words as the other easily crosses the emerging stepping stones with the help of an older woman in her mid-60s and a pre-teen boy. It’s obvious who the regular Yangjaecheon park-goers are. On the other side of the stream, Wonyoung thanked the kind strangers before looking back up in Yujin’s direction. 

The small smile on Wonyoung’s face seems to signify her glimmer of hope and faith in Yujin. 

Thinking back to the moment she saw her boss in the flesh again; the happiness that overwhelmed her was both real and unreal. If she had to balance her positive and negative feelings about Wonyoung and their relationship then… 

If there is no competition then why are there winners and losers? In love? 

If Wonyoung isn’t her competition then who has she been competing with? 

Comparing herself to? 

Why does it feel unfair to be told they are equal? 

11 years seemed like a long time to spend with someone she didn’t love. Or have love for? Were these the different entities Gaeul wanted her to realize? 

Is Yujin in love with Wonyoung or does she have love for Wonyoung as they’ve spent many years attached at the hip? 

As questions, arguments, and statements take turns occupying her mind, it takes Yujin a while to realize she’s lost track of time. But Wonyoung remains patient and hopeful as ever as one, two, and five minutes drag by. 

Is a bright future enough? 

What does bright consist of? 

Wonyoung’s smiles?

Wonyoung’s happiness? 

Wonyoung’s good health? 

Wonyoung being cared for? Protected? Forgiven? 

Wonyoung being loved, unconditionally? 

Is a bright future with Wonyoung the answer to her stale life? 

After six lengthy minutes, Yujin believes she has found her answer. 

She’s confident that her decision will be life-changing but also right—or not. 

Splashed!

“Blah!” Yujin grunts and coughs as she wipes off the cold water trickling down her forehead with her hands. Unlike Wonyoung who had help from the regulars, Yujin's attempt to cross the stream alone has landed her a spot in the stream as one of the stepping stones. When her vision clears, she sees that Wonyoung is on all fours, extended over two of the large rocks, offering a hand, and calling out to her. 

“Yujin, are you okay? Are you hurt? Here, grab my hand.” 

For a quiet moment, Yujin traces Wonyoung’s unpainted fingernails to the other’s naturally pretty face. When she sees the worry in Wonyoung’s eyes and realizes the concern in her voice, Yujin finds it endearing in a humorous way. 

“Was my fall that serious? You’re acting as if I’m hanging for my life on the edge of a cliff.” 

Wonyoung visibly sighs then before Yujin sees it coming, Wonyoung hurls a handful of water at her. “You jerk. Whether it’s a small or serious injury I always worry about you.” Wonyoung’s genuine admission immediately expels the silliness in Yujin and the moment. “Come out of the water already. It’s freezing, isn’t it? You’ll get sick.” 

Yujin doesn’t waste another second when she grabs onto Wonyoung’s hand and yanks them closer together. Yujin, then, reaches up with her free hand around Wonyoung’s nape and pulls her downward for a deep kiss. Almost instantly, the heat from Wonyoung’s hand, neck, and kiss combated the icy cold water that had been seeping through her clothes and burning her skin. 

As the water around them rages on, Yujin can not hear anything but her own heartbeat. After a while longer, she hears Wonyoung whispering. “Everyone’s watching, Yujin,”

Beaming, Yujin maneuvers her hand from Wonyoung’s neck to the flustered woman’s cheek. “Didn’t you say it was my decision as it’s one of my favorite places?” 

Wonyoung crinkles her nose. “That’s not what I—” 

Yujin quickly cuts her off with a peck on the lips. “Who cares that everyone’s watching? We’re not in Osaka. Here, you’re not a CEO but a tourist. And I’m not a rockstar but a nobody. No one will recognize us; besides I’m mostly or only popular in Thailand.” 

Unexpectedly, Yujin feels Wonyoung’s strength as the younger shoves her back into the water, breaking all physical contact. “You’re crazy. I’m going back to the riverbank and don’t you think that what you just did stands for anything because technically you haven’t crossed the stream yet.” 

tvdLkqlOAPP6OeeJaRmc25TwKQ14uzn__u_0lGrfdMdfN918agco8rq-ZK-Y_kcShOzDFPXtg46VjXPVSeQ08pkaGcB9vEZV8H-g9rqRJn8BmM-ixZMFP1RxzLYXroGzp9TV-FXyc0eSQC8C1YPRb8Wn4rily6-I9zIXVOtBFukhO2E_eo3KDX2Dfw

As Yujin steps off the last stone and in front of the other, she reaches down to grab hold of Wonyoung’s hands before holding them up between them. 

Although she’s gentle when the younger woman’s hands, Yujin wants to be certain that Wonyoung feels her confidence, so she boldly states, “11 years together is a long time but the reality is, I want to spend the rest of my life with you; to love, care, fight, and fix everything with you. I’m sorry I accused you, called you names, and took things out on you. I’m sorry for saying and accusing you of having a superiority complex when I’m the one insecure. You’re right, I can’t be kind to you if I won’t be kinder to myself. I know I’m late, but I know now that my insecurity came from me fighting myself for more of your love. Because I wanted to better my social status, to be able to live up to the title that is Jang Wonyong’s girlfriend, I took my anger and frustration for my shortcomings on you. I blamed you when really, I love you.”

Briefly, Yujin feels Wonyoung squeeze her hand affectionately. 

“I love you too. And that’s what really matters,” Wonyoung smiles, “recognizing the love we have for each other. And it’s okay, I’ve had my low moments too, and haven’t been the best girlfriend to you. While you work on revaluing yourself, I will work on loving you more and paying you the attention you deserve. Let’s work hard at it, succeed, and resume our normal, loving relationship like when we first started.” 

With an agreeable smile, Yujin steps forward to give Wonyoung a tight hug. “It’s a deal.” 

tvdLkqlOAPP6OeeJaRmc25TwKQ14uzn__u_0lGrfdMdfN918agco8rq-ZK-Y_kcShOzDFPXtg46VjXPVSeQ08pkaGcB9vEZV8H-g9rqRJn8BmM-ixZMFP1RxzLYXroGzp9TV-FXyc0eSQC8C1YPRb8Wn4rily6-I9zIXVOtBFukhO2E_eo3KDX2Dfw

Group Chat: “Roselette’s Actives”

The Loud One (9:55 PM): Really!? You’re coming back to Osaka the same day Chaeryeong is coming back from her Europe trip!? 

Me (9:56 PM): Yup. Pretty Boss and I made up so I’ll be coming home once and for all. Chaeryeong, what time are you flying in again? 

Leader (9:58 PM): That’s a relief to hear. We’ll all be there to pick you both up! 

Me (10 PM): Thank you Leader!

The Second Sister (10:01 PM): Aunty and my plane will be landing at 9 in the morning~ What about you Yujin? 

The Loud One (10:02 PM): It’s great that you finally woke up. I was just about done with you. Btw, what did the boss say that made you positive all of a sudden? 

Me (10:02 PM): Oh mine is at 6 am! 

Leader (10:04 PM): Yuri. What kind of question is that? Isn’t it good that Yujin is being positive?

The Second Sister (10:04 PM): Aw. Too bad we’re three hours apart 

The Loud One (10:05 PM): It is good but it is NOT normal

Leader (10:06 PM): We’ll wait for you both~ 

Me (10:07 PM): Still so nosy, Loud One. I will tell you all in person later. Chaeryeong, three hours is nothing! Once I arrive, we’ll all wait for you. 

Me (10:07 PM): And what do you know about normal short stuff?

The Second Sister (10:08 PM): I like that idea! 

The Loud One (10:09 PM): Whatever Everest 

Me (10:10 PM): Everest? 

The Loud One (10:10 PM): That’s right, Mt. Everest! That’s you! Tall and mean! 

Me (10:11 PM): It’s not my fault you didn’t drink more milk as a kid

The Loud One (10:11 PM): What are you blabbering about? You already know my shortness is DNA 

Me (10:12 PM): How would I know? You never said! 

The Loud One (10:13 PM): Sorry I forgot you’re slow! I thought my grandparents were enough proof!

Leader (10:14 PM): Until when will you two stop fighting? The end of our career? 

The Loud One (10:15 PM): The end of our lives 

Me (10:15 PM): Like I told Pretty Boss, for the rest of my life I will fight short stuff

Leader (10:15 PM): I guess it is possible for you two to agree on something

The Loud One (10:16 PM): I was about to say that haha

The Too Pretty One (10:16 PM): Oh, Yujin and Chaeryeong. Have you both had a chance to listen to the demo I sent you? What are your thoughts on it? Leader and Yuri okayed it :) 

Me (10:18 PM): Short stuff okayed it? Then I’m not OK with it 

The Loud One (10:18 PM): Borrowing your words now, ‘Do you have a death wish?’

The Too Pretty One (10:18 PM): Yujin be serious~~~

Leader (10:18 PM): Yujin

The Second Sister (10:19 PM): You guys are killing me haha

“Yujin,” 

It’s dark and the rooftop is poorly lit but when Yujin perks up she easily makes out Gaeul’s petite figure. “Oh, I thought you already left.” 

Gaeul simply hums and then walks over to sit beside her. “I was almost home when I asked the taxi driver to turn back.” Yujin doesn’t comment and takes a peek at the time on her phone instead before sliding it into her pocket. “Has Wonyoung’s plane landed safely in Japan?” 

Yujin nods. “She said so an hour ago.” 

“Can I ask why you didn’t leave with her?” 

“You can’t.” 

“What about if you still love her?” 

Yujin glimpses in Gaeul’s direction. When the other gives her a small smile, Yujin returns it with a sigh. “Can’t you tell I am?” 

“How can you be sure?” 

There’s a moment of silence before Yujin leans backward and studies the stars in the night sky. “Because no matter what happened, how much we hurt each other, I can never say anything bad about her to anyone. My parents are the same. I love them too much to badmouth them.” 

“That’s it?” Gaeul asks, “You know you love someone because you can never badmouth them?” 

“Mhm. For me, that’s it.” 

“Did you tell her about us? When I kissed your cheek?”

“I did. I also told her I pushed you away and didn’t like what you did.” 

“I see,” Gaeul whispers, “In that case, I hope you do well in Japan as your friend. But as someone who’s been harboring feelings for you for years, I cannot wish you and Wonyoung happiness.” 

Yujin bobs her head, undisturbed. “As your former friend, I wish you happiness.”

“Former?” 

Yujin nods, nonchalantly, “This will be the last time we meet because after tonight I’m going to Ulsan to be with my parents. Then I’m leaving for Japan from there. And remember when you asked me to tell you what was bothering me? I said you wouldn’t understand. I wasn’t pulling your leg. The truth is, your presence bothered me. Even when we were going to school, you always confused me to side with you. But now I’m glad that you’re going to stay as a former friend and Wonyoung will remain my girlfriend. If a friend of mine has a friend like you, Gaeul, I would have cursed them out a long time ago.” 

Without another word, Gaeul departs and leaves Yujin to stargaze alone. Just as she liked it before Gaeul came back into her life. 

A/N - After more than a year of brainstorming, rewriting, neglecting, and almost abandoning this story we’re finally done! The Smear saga is complete~ Thank you, everyone, who’s still here and has spent years with me, tuning in to every update~ Love you all lots! And although I said complete, a part of me still wants to put out a final update on 2kim life after Scar but we’ll see. At this point, it might be further ruining the series >_< But if I don’t see you in a 2kim update and potential final piece of the Smear collections, I hope to see you all in other works in the near and far future <3