Exposition

Encounter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The statistics of how many different types of encounters you could have with a stranger is so miniscule, it is hard to keep track of the percentage that goes like this: the cliché method of meeting another regular at a café that you frequent. But what is “cliché” after that scenario? How cliché exactly is the person that you meet? Their personality, their life, factors, and everything else is an entirely different combination. What of it after that once you become acquainted? Who knows... 

 

Three weeks prior (as Yoohyeon remembers it clearly) was all it took for when that fated encounter took place. Sitting in front of her laptop after ordering something new for once with her exhausted and starved body, she sighs deeply and ponders about what exactly she needs to do to kill some time before the designated time for another plan. One of the baristas is a close friend of hers since high school, and since they both started university, it’s been much busier for the both of them. She sips slowly on her drink occasionally, staring around at her surroundings, and even though she’s hungry, she can’t help but to stick with just a drink since the café ran out of her original order that she wanted - a ham and cheese croissant.  

 

“Sorry, I couldn’t save one for you since the case is up right there for anybody to see.” Her friend, Siyeon, had said as an excuse. Basically, it was up for grabs to anyone first in line (they really live by the line, first come, first serve). Right after her shift ends, they plan to head on over to the Century Stadium, a venue which was located in the next city over. Sunmi, Yoohyeon’s favorite solo artist, was to have a whole showcase in the city next to them and it would be such a waste of an opportunity if she didn’t attend. As her best friend, Siyeon was to go with her (by default) so that she wouldn’t go alone. “You like her too, don’t pretend that you don’t. I’ve seen you listen to her music out of your own way.” Yoohyeon had never been faster to counter. Thus, with no further discussion, the two managed to buy wallet-breaking tickets with the option that came with soundcheck. 

 

Back to present day, Yoohyeon sits there, remembering the fact that her midterm was tomorrow for the hardest course she was taking for the semester.  

 

“I don’t know why you do that to yourself, honestly.” Siyeon comes by, presuming that she had nothing to do in that moment. The other two baristas seem to be doing just fine without her anyway. “I told you not to take up three classes during the summer.” 

 

Yoohyeon sighs and rubs her face with both her hands. “Yeah, but if I don’t do it, I won’t graduate on time and honestly, at this rate, I might as well just cram as much as I can.” Since she had just finished her shift and headed on over to Siyeon’s work place, there were still several hours before the actual showcase starts. There was at least 5 more hours to kill before soundcheck starts. 

 

“Siyeon!” One of the employees call her friend over, which causes the two to look back at the counter. 

 

“Well, ‘good luck buddy’ is all I can tell ya for now. I’ll be back in a bit,” Siyeon stands and returns back to her post while tending to her coworker’s need. As if just on cue, the door opens with a couple of people trickling into the store one after another. 

 

Great. 

 

She should really come up with what more she can do with her laptop and her school work. She could be studying but she would rather much prefer to do something better worth her time and much more enjoyable. Listening to music and perhaps catching up on Sunmi material on YouTube? 

 

Hell yes. 

 

She’ll fail her midterm. 

 

But she can cry about it later. 

 

An hour passes easily without much thinking. People have come and go and it isn’t until Yoohyeon looks up from her screen to see a blonde ahead of her with wavy hair seated with another guy at a table six feet in front of her. She notices how pretty the blonde is instantaneously and only blinks a couple of times. The girl’s wearing semi-rimless square glasses and the lens are large compared to her face. Yoohyeon doesn’t know whether or not the guy is her boyfriend but the two didn’t really look the type together. It feels a little intrusive to continuously look, but it doesn’t seem like the girl knew that she was making a couple of glances at her. She mildly clears and takes a sip of her latte. 

 

“Minji!” She can hear one of the baristas call out a name, and immediately, it catches the blonde’s attention as the girl heads on over to the counter to grab her order. So her name is Minji. She’s got two hot drinks in her hands along with two bags of food items, presumably for the guy and herself. She guesses correctly and the girl seats herself right at her spot again before Yoohyeon’s eyes suddenly dart downward at her laptop screen. 

 

Sunmi didn’t seem so important in the spur of that moment. 

 

She could’ve sworn the girl and her eyes had met for a split second, and panic kicked in right away. But there’s nothing different when the girl speaks to the guy for a moment as she pulls out her laptop unsuspectingly. Yoohyeon feels like a fool, silly enough for even thinking anything else, and it’s obvious that this would be one of the many days in her lifetime of simply existing in society. 

 

Throughout her time of stealing glances, the girl and the guy do their own thing with MacBooks and typical university-student-like things at a café. One thing that Yoohyeon notes from that day is the fact that she likes the other girl’s outfit: a green canvas button-up top with white shorts and olive-strapped sandals. There’s an anklet on her right ankle. It is only when she sees the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter