She's a Polar Bear

Bearly Beloved

.

.

.

07

Seungwan has always been built different. That, Seulgi knows.

Her childhood friend might look like a squirrel, act like a puppy, and cling as tight as a koala. People who know her better will usually refer to her as a wolf; cunning, proud, but extremely loving to her companions. For Seulgi, personally, Seungwan is a polar bear. Her soft and fluffy look hides a fearless girl ready to pounce at everything in her way. Not to mention her lack of danger-awareness, especially when it comes to protecting other people.

Seulgi first realized this when they were about six or seven years old. At that time, Seulgi was taking care of a stray cat that roam the roads around her house. While her parents didn't allow the cat to be taken into the house, they let her and her brother to feed the cat in their backyards.

Seungwan often came to Seulgi's house to feed the cat with her. Seungwan had always frequented Seulgi's house anyway, but her visit got even more frequent with the arrival of the cat. Both of them loved the animal that it practically become theirs.

Here's the thing, though. As the cat was a stray, it often left to God knows where and returned with some fresh wounds. Sometimes it was because of a fight with other cats, sometimes it was because of their meaner neighbors who hated cats. Every time it got injured, they would always nurse it back to health. And every time it got injured, without fail, Seungwan always expressed her displeasure and promised to defend their cat if she comes across its assailant.

Seulgi didn't pay her much attention. She understood that Seungwan was angry and sad. She wished she can protect their cat as well, but it's not like they know where did it go all the time so it's impossible to know who or what was hurting their cat.

Until one afternoon when Seulgi opened the door to Seungwan's call, and she found her best friend's bloody face mere inches from her own.

Maybe she fainted. Maybe she didn't. She definitely screamed and acquired some kind of trauma that day.

Seulgi's parents took Seungwan to the hospital. They left with Seungwan's parents as well, leaving Seulgi with her brother at home. Even if her parents arrived home not later than 7 p.m, Seulgi was still haunted by the image of Seungwan's blood dripping on her porch, so she only visited Seungwan about two days after the event.

Seungwan definitely didn't mind. Instead, she proudly boasted that she had saved their cat from the attack of a chihuahua down the street. Seulgi immediately knew which one Seungwan meant. There was only one family owning a chihuahua, and it's been well known in the neighborhood that the boy who lived there was a literal hell spawn. His parents were actually nice, though they're very busy and spoiled their kid that he grew up to be an . The revelation puzzled Seulgi so much that she could only listen to her friend's rambling with agape.

Seungwan wasn't really meaning to fight that day. She was returning home from doing a school project at another friend's house, when she came across a boy who owned the chihuahua throwing his dog to their passing cat. Seungwan acted out of instinct and fought the dog on their cat's behalf. She gained some deep wounds, though she managed to scare the dog enough it came running back to its house.

But then the boy got mad upon seeing his dog defeated. He punched Seungwan in the face, and Seungwan retaliated, then it turned into an all-out brawl. Seungwan won, of course, but not without a broken nose and multiple stitches. She also got both the rabies and tetanus shot that she said were very hurt.

"At least I won! I showed them who's the boss here!" said Seungwan with a proud grin, when Seulgi expressed her worry towards her friend. "Don't worry about it! I'm fine and Kitty is safe!"

Seulgi was not convinced, but she trusts Seungwan. If she said she's fine, then she will be; whether immediately or at a later time after she had shed enough tears for her pain.

When Seungwan gave her a bar of chocolate; one of the apology gifts from the boy's parents who felt guilty that their kid and dog attacked Seungwan; Seulgi wondered if she can show her appreciation for Seungwan's bravery. She brought nothing on her visit. After a full minute of staring at her best friend, Seulgi decided to kiss the tip of Seungwan's bandaged nose.

Her action received a surprised and confused look. Before Seungwan asked, she meekly explained. "I watched movies with Daddy.. and heroes always get a kiss. You're Kitty's hero. But he won't kiss you, so I'll do it instead."

That got Seungwan to laugh. She grinned, pointing at the stitches on her cheek. "How about this one? It hurts too!"

Seulgi sighed. Of course, Seungwan would take advantage of this. But she complied still, kissing the bandage, before moving to the other wounds on Seungwan's face. She finished the kiss back at Seungwan's nose, then she received a bear hug and Seungwan's loud laughter, all pain forgotten.

Since then on, Seulgi decided that Seungwan is a bear. A fearless, protective bear with crushing hugs, that can easily be tamed with a series of kisses.

Seulgi wouldn't mind to kiss this one bear often.

.

.

.

.

.

15

Mrs. Shon is a magnificent cook. She loves to cook and bake food that seems so fancy and bizarre, yet delicious all the same. This is why Seulgi loves to join Seungwan in her lunch time as to take a bite out of Mrs. Shon's food. Her own Mom might be a bit jealous sometimes, but Mrs. Kang never complains whenever Seulgi brings her some baked goods from the Shon's household.

And with her mom's passion for cooking, it's only natural that Seungwan grows up with it as her hobby.

While Seulgi sometimes dreads the weird experimental cakes Seungwan forces into , she's glad that the talent comes handy at the times of practical exams. Their junior high school requires the students to create a traditional food as the final exam for art and culture.

They're teamed up as a group of four; her, Seungwan, and two boys from their class. As both boys are disasters at cooking and the most Seulgi can do at that time is to make instant noodles, Seungwan takes the mantle of the head cook.

They plan to make samgye-tang. They believe it's easy enough to make, as long as somebody in the team can use a knife. She orders the two boys to prepare the plating, drinks, and side fruits. Seulgi is tasked with making the sauce while Seungwan prepares the main dish. The workload may seem unbalanced, but Seungwan doesn't trust her friends to handle a knife on their own.

Seulgi and the boys don't trust Seungwan with a knife either, but they aren't going to argue against a barking mini-chef.

Honestly, Seulgi is quite surprised (and impressed) that Seungwan manages to finish the dish without cutting herself open. She had stashed a bag of plaster and povidone iodine before she went to school earlier, afraid if her friend may hurt herself while cooking. It seems like she underestimated Seungwan's skill.

"I know, right?" Seungwan giggles when Seulgi praises her for her accomplishment. "I was afraid myself. But I've helped mom for so many times! I know how to do it!"

A part of Seulgi compels herself to give Seungwan a congratulatory kiss. But she knows it might spark questions, so she resorts to briefly hugging Seungwan. The other girl laughs in delight at the affection. She hugs Seulgi back, returning to her stove after ushering Seulgi to help the two boys.

The samgye-tang they make is delicious. They proudly present it to their teacher, and each receives a compliment for their hard work in making the dish. One of the teachers comment how Seungwan did a huge part of the process on her own, but their explanation about their inability to cook and thus might put a risk in their safety if they forced themselves to, is acceptable enough for the teacher.

The cleaning up afterwards proves to be more tiresome than the cooking itself. Seungwan orders the boys to wash the used plates while she asks Seulgi to accompany her getting rid of the unused broth. With the pot and broth still hot, Seungwan doesn't dare to handle it by herself.

But maybe, Seungwan should've handled it on her own.

When Seungwan said the pot is hot, she means it's scalding. And Seulgi makes a mistake of letting her hands slip in surprise of its heat. It takes a split second for the pot to tip over, and also a split second for Seungwan to react. Before Seulgi realizes that she's falling, she already hears Seungwan's shriek, followed by a loud sound of metal hitting the ground.

The teachers are around them in an instant. One of their youngest teachers picks Seungwan up, running and yelling instructions while Seungwan sobs into his arms, the skin on her calf blistering after the hot water poured directly unto it. Another teacher hugs and picks Seulgi up, checking her if she also got burnt by the broth.

Seulgi is fine. A hundred percent so. But she cries louder than Seungwan did, feeling guilty about her incompetence that caused Seungwan to be hurt. She screams at the teacher, demanding to go with Seungwan to the hospital, but her teachers forbid her and instead keep trying to calm her down.

Only when Seulgi starts to get violent do they allow her to go to the hospital Seungwan went.

Mrs. Shon is already present when Seulgi arrives with her PE teacher. She is hugging Seungwan, cooing at her as the nurse cleans Seungwan's burns.

Seulgi had expected Seungwan to be crying and shaking in pain; but no. Her friend, even though her face isn't free of tears, is just whimpering and occasionally growling each time the nurse touches her blisters. The area affected by the burn is quite wide; about half of her left calf and around her right ankle; though her feet are okay thanks to her shoes.

When Seungwan catches sight of Seulgi running towards her, her expression of pain turns into worry.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt, too?" asks Seungwan, despite her own wounds that are causing her to wince and grit her teeth.

Seulgi shakes her head and Seungwan smiles.

"Oh thank God. I'm scared you'll be hurt."

"But you are hurt. Stop thinking about me."

"I can handle it!"

Seeing Seungwan's giggle, Seulgi understands immediately, that Seungwan doesn't care. Seungwan had thrown all cautions away with the sole purpose of saving her from a certain injury. She didn't think, didn't even pause and hesitate, only acting out of pure instinct and pushed Seulgi out of the way.

If Mrs. Shon hasn't scolded her for acting recklessly, Seulgi would have. Thankfully, Seungwan's burns are superficial. The doctor that assessed her explains that she will recover soon, though she will need to stay home for a few weeks until she's completely healed. Her wounds also need to be re-treated every two to three days. He administers her some pain reliever meds and antibiotics to prevent infections through the open wound.

As Mrs. Shon leaves to pick up Seungwan's meds at the apothecary, Seungwan tugs Seulgi's hand. She laughs when Seulgi gives her a confused look, then points at her cheek.

"What?"

"Where's my kiss?" Giggling, Seungwan jabs her cheek. She pouts purposefully to make her cheeks look bigger as she keeps tugging Seulgi's hand. "I save you this time! Kiss me!"

Seulgi raises an eyebrow. "Why should I?"

"But.. you kissed me when I saved Kitty. Why won't you kiss me this time?"

Her explanation catches Seulgi off-guard. She doesn't expect Seungwan to remember her 'reward' she gave years ago. And to think their stray cat had passed away over two years ago due to old age.

"So you saved me just because you wanted a kiss?"

Seungwan's face falls. "No! Of course not! I don't want you to get hurt so I pushed you but—"

Moving like lightning, Seulgi kisses Seungwan's cheek while she's busy defending herself. She pulls away as fast as she leaned in, feeling her own cheeks heating up in embarrassment, even more so when Seungwan stares wide-eyed at her.

"T-there." Seulgi avoids Seungwan's look. "You don't have to get hurt for.. for a kiss. Just ask."

"Really?"

From her tone alone, Seulgi can picture Seungwan beaming at her. But she doesn't want to show her blushing face to her friend, so she just nods without looking at Seungwan. She hears Seungwan cheering before she feels a tight embrace around her body. A head snuggles under her chin as Seungwan giggles in joy.

"Kiss me again, then!"

"Not now!"

"Why not!"

"The doctor is staring!"

Seulgi doesn't know if Seungwan actually looks or not because she sounds so sure in her next sentence. "He isn't! He's not even here!"

Because Seungwan keeps on nagging and Seulgi isn't the most patient person around, she turns to kiss Seungwan once again. A longer one this time, on her other cheek, and she waits for Seungwan to giggle before she pulls back.

"Thank you!"

When Mrs. Shon returns to them, she finds her daughter hugging and leaning on Seulgi, while the other girl sits with her back ramrod straight and face as red as a tomato. Thankfully for Seulgi, she doesn't speak of it. Only casting a warm smile as Seulgi supports her limping daughter back to their car.

If she notices, she doesn't tell.

.

.

.

.

.

17

Seungwan and Seulgi are very popular in the high school. Both are track stars, and Seungwan also takes volleyball as Seulgi takes soccer as their extracurricular activities. Then, while Seulgi shines in art, Seungwan frequents the mathematic olympiad as one of the brightest students. Added with the fact that they're gorgeous as , making their popularity soar and become the two most sought out dates in high school.

Many try to court them only to be declined. Aside from their already packed schedules, their parents also don't allow them to date until college. They happily oblige because they're content enough with each other's company.

That doesn't stop the other students from confessing or sending them letters.

It was the worst when they were at 11th grade. At least there will be one new letter each day slipped inside their locker. Whether it's a love confession, or party invitations, or simply a declaration of admiration. Some would even slip small gifts alongside their letters.

Seungwan is the "kinder" one. She takes time to apologize, letting her admirers know that she appreciates the heartfelt effort, but won't be accepting their advances. While Seulgi, nice as she is to her friends, will straight up ignoring the letters. If the sender approaches her in person, she will reject them politely. But if they don't, then she will throw the letters away.

The most they would accept are one or two party invitations. Even then, they would only accept those where they know most of the attendees, and will often come in pair to keep an eye on each other.

It was during the last days of the first semester of 11th grade when Seulgi received a personal invitation from the boys' soccer team captain. His 18th birthday party, one that he promised to everyone invited that it's going to be a night of booze with no restriction. All in secrecy. He only invited his closest friends, also a bunch of people from the soccer club. That includes Seulgi, who is the captain of the girls' soccer team.

For kids their age, having the chance to be able to try alcohol without their parents' supervision is such a tempting offer. And Seulgi is no different. She immediately said yes to the invitation, only telling her parents that she is going to go to a completely "normal" birthday party.

But Seungwan goes to the same school as her. The party, even if they try to keep it as a secret, is known by many in the soccer team, and soon got spread to many other sports clubs. Didn't even take a week for the news to reach the volleyball captain's ears. Seungwan might not be invited; not being part of the soccer team and such; but she was dead set on coming with Seulgi. No matter if she has to maul her way through the bouncers if the birthday boy decides that he doesn't like her presence in his small party.

"You're such a worrywart." Seulgi teases as they enter the designated bar. Behind her, Seungwan snorts, keeping her steps as close as she can to Seulgi's.

"I've been nice enough not telling about your actual plans to uncle and auntie," says her. "You need me. I don't care if you get drunk tonight, but I'm not letting you go home on your own in that condition."

Seulgi giggles, linking her arm to Seungwan's. "That's so sweet of you. But can't you at least dress up for the occasion?"

Looking at the two of them, there really is a jarring difference in their wardrobe choice. The birthday boy wasn't bothered by assigning a dress code. So Seulgi chose to go with a pink crop top and low-rise jeans, flaunting her flawless abs. Seungwan, on the other hand, looks like she just returned from a volleyball practice session and had yet to bathe. Dark blue varsity jacket, a lighter blue t-shirt underneath, and a pair of black jogger pants.

If her choice of wardrobe isn't reflective of her low mood enough, then her reply definitely confirms that.

"I'm not here to impress. I'm here to be responsible and call a taxi to get us home while you're being a giggly clingy drunk."

Seulgi rolls her eyes. She was against Seungwan tagging with her to the party at first, though she relented after Seungwan pledged that she will not disturb the party, and will only sit at a corner waiting until Seulgi wants to go home. Seulgi understands Seungwan's point of view. She might be excited for a party, but she had watched enough morning news to know just what kind of disaster will happen to a drunk, underaged girl roaming the night street of South Korea.

Seungwan slips into the darkest corner she located as soon as they enter the room rented for the birthday party. Seulgi doesn't pay her much attention, immediately approaching her friends and lets herself enjoy the event.

It's halfway through the party when glasses of sparkly cocktails started to be served. Seulgi was about to pick one for herself when the birthday boy himself comes up to her, bringing two glasses of cocktail and offers one for her. While they aren't that close, they've been working together in the club for nearly a year, so Seulgi accepts his offer and chats as he takes a seat.

"First time seeing you without Seungwan." He starts as he sips his drink.

Seulgi giggles. Seems like Seungwan is successful in her covert operation. "Once in a while. She doesn't really appreciate booze… yet. I can tell that she's going to drink more wine than water once she's legal, though."

He chuckles, and they continue to talk randomly. At one point of the conversation, Seulgi yawns, and the boy tilts his head.

"Sleepy?"

"Kind of." Seulgi yawns again and takes a look at her watch. "Oh, well, it is quite late. Sorry, I don't usually sleep past 10 unless there's a load of work to do."

"Don't worry about it. I also have a lil' sis who always sleeps at nine. Can't even hold a normal conversation if it's already 9.05 haha."

Guess this is her cue to leave. Seulgi excuses herself from the birthday boy but not without finishing her drin. She doesn't want to be rude; especially because the host himself gave the concoction to her. After that, she takes out her phone, intending to call Seungwan, when her vision blurs and everything becomes spinning colors. An arm grabs her by the waist to prevent her fall from what she supposes is nausea.

An arm that doesn't feel like Seungwan's.

When Seulgi wakes up the next day, she doesn't recognize the bedroom she's staying in. There's a faint snore from the weight beside her. Fear immediately grips her entire being, as she scrambles to feel around and sighs in relief after touching her still-intact clothes. That's one huge weight lifted off of her shoulders. Then she turns her head, carefully, trying to get a good look on who is the person she's sleeping with.

She doesn't realize that she was holding her breath until she sees Seungwan laying beside her.

She was so scared that something might have happened, but seeing Seungwan with her just eases her worry tremendously. She raises her hand to touch Seungwan's face, sobbing when the other girl's gruff, sleepy voice resounds.

"Wan-ah."

Seungwan nods. "Hey." Then wince.

Only by then does Seulgi realize that she's caressing a huge bruise on her best friend's cheek. Seulgi sits up in an instant and Seungwan groans from the sudden movement. The room they're staying in is dark, and Seulgi can't locate the light switch so she proceeds to rip the curtains open.

What she sees causes her to choke up.

Seungwan is sporting a huge bruise on her cheek, swollen left eye complete with a wound over her eyebrow. There is dried blood at the corner of her lips. Her breaths are deep, but scarce, and she looks like she's in pain every time she takes a breath. Seungwan frowns before opening up her right eye, throwing a pained smile at Seulgi then waves her hand.

Forcing herself not to cry, Seulgi approaches Seungwan. "W-what happened?"

Seungwan is silent for a few moments before answering.

"Last night, some guys…" she inhales and grits her teeth, "…schemed to spike your drink. Had to fight many drunkards. Got my beat… but you're, we're safe. So it's all good…"

Tears well up in Seulgi's eyes. Kneeling on the bed beside Seungwan, Seulgi shivers at the sight of her wounds then chooses to Seungwan's hair instead. "I'm.. I'm so sorry."

Her best friend smiles in appreciation before frowning, apparently too painful to move her face muscles.

"I shouldn't have gone to the party," Seulgi murmurs, sobbing even harder. "I'm.. I'm sorry.. I should've known better. I should've—"

"Hush." A short chuckle, followed by a wheeze. Seungwan takes her time to regulate her breath before continuing. "Not your fault they're jerks. The most important thing for me is… your safety. I'll gladly fight those guys again soon… after I can move normally, that is."

"Next time you do that, I'll help. I'll even bring a baseball bat to assist you."

That gets Seungwan to grin. She lets out a soft laugh, pausing once she feels her chest throbs, then looks up to Seulgi. "Can you… call an ambulance? Breathing… hurts. Probably cracked a rib."

"Okay."

Despite her own chest constricting with worry, Seulgi forces herself not to panic and follow Seungwan's request. She finds her phone on the nightstand, thankfully still with 30% battery left. Seulgi takes a moment to check their location before calling the ambulance. They're apparently in a hotel not too far away from where the party was held. Also near a hospital, which then Seulgi inquires about why didn't Seungwan just go straight to it.

Seungwan looks mortified for a good second before grinning. "Hospital, right. I just thought I… can't leave you alone while unconscious. And with you knocked out and me looking this rough… if I call a taxi, they might take me as an assailant instead. So I just dragged you here to rest… for the night. "

When the ambulance arrives no longer than fifteen minutes later, the receptionist doesn't look surprised at all. He just tells Seulgi that the room they rented for the night had been paid by Seungwan, so there's no need to worry about the payment. Seulgi wonders if this might be a regular occurrence on this side of the town.

Seungwan really did crack a rib. Or three, actually, at the place where she got struck by a mini table. The ambulance ride made her agitated due to the movements aggravating her broken ribs. But once the painkillers kicked in, she's as cool as a cucumber. She told Seulgi that she will try to sleep, because she struggled to get some last night due to the constant pain. It takes only a full minute for her to fall into a slumber.

Their parents are furious when they got informed about what happened to their girls. Both Mr. Shon and Mr. Kang need no more explanation after seeing their daughters' condition. Ablaze in fury, the two men left the hospital to go to the principal's home and "give him a piece of their mind". Seulgi is sure her father will also unleash another hell for her once they're back home. But for now, she only wishes they can get the principal to punish her teammates with the worst punishment available.

As their fathers go see the principal, and their mothers leaving them to take care of the administration, Seulgi takes her time to regard Seungwan. She looks a tad bit better than when they first woke up, having her wounds bandaged and all. Her chest still moves weirdly due to the broken bones. But she's sleeping well, with the occasional wincing but never truly woken up, so Seulgi is relieved she got her much needed rest.

Looking around to make sure no one is watching, Seulgi quickly kisses Seungwan's cheeks.

"Thank you, my hero," she whispers, as she grabs Seungwan's hand, and basks in the warmth radiating from her skin.

.

.

.

.

.

22

"I regret ever saying yes."

With Seungwan's boisterous laughter ringing in her ears, Seulgi forces herself not to retch at the smell of iron greeting her nose. The tangy smell is strong enough that it feels as if she's tasting it directly.

Seungwan doesn't seem to be bothered. And this place they just entered is, actually, very clean. Much to Seulgi's despair. Honestly, it might be just because of her initial unwillingness and disgust that makes her very sensitive to the leftover scent. Seungwan is also a fresh graduate from medical school, so Seulgi is sure her sense of smell is immune to the scent of blood.

"You are.." Seulgi hisses as Seungwan approaches the front-desk employee, "..going to get into a big trouble."

"Not if nobody knows." Seungwan grins. That darn, wide grin. The same grin she always shows whenever she's subjecting herself to things that aren't approved by her parents. Or, on this occasion, her future mentors.

Ever since they went to university, they had moved out of their parents' houses and rented an apartment together in Seoul. Living only with each other, it's already a habit for both of them to ask for the other's permission whenever they're going to do something out of their routine. This time, though, Seungwan's request had Seulgi near pulled out her hair.

Ear piercings.

As a graduation gift.

Which is insane because Seungwan just graduated from goddamned medicine and Seulgi knows for a fact that the faculty prohibits any kind of jewelry worn by their students. As far as Seulgi remembers, unless the piercings are in places obscured by clothes, then they're also forbidden. Seungwan should know; she told Seulgi herself.

But Seungwan doesn't want to be pierced anywhere else. She just wants to be pierced to 'try the feel of it' and she decides that any other kind of piercings might get in the way for her rapid lifestyle.

Trying to reason with a determined Seungwan is a waste of energy. Seulgi had learned such after years of growing up together. So, here she is today, accompanying her best friend slash roommate to get a piercing before entering the clinical rotation.

Seulgi pauses to listen when Seungwan talks to the employee. One on each ear, on the conch, small ones. Just as what they agreed upon.

The transaction is quick and soon Seungwan is already waiting for her turn to get pierced. Looking around to see the multiple equipment and room decorations, Seulgi can't help but feel nauseous. She's not the one getting the piercings and yet she's having what probably the worst cold sweat in her life. It's annoying, especially because Seungwan seems so calm; excited even.

She shouldn't be this afflicted by things she's not going to do, dammit!

"You sure this place is good, right?" Seulgi asks one more time. She's quite sure she had asked the exact same question multiple times for the past week. "As in.. they sterilized everything, right? How about the hygiene? Do the workers wash their hand every—"

"Seul, relax." Seungwan chuckles, grabbing her hand and rubs Seulgi's palm with her thumb. "Trust me, I've researched a lot. This one is the best place in town."

Seulgi was about to reply when a woman enters their room. The sight of multiple piercings crisscrossing the woman's face makes Seulgi's nausea worsen. She opts to look down, focusing on hers and Seungwan's connected hands instead. She hears the woman's remark about this being Seungwan's first time being seen in the shop.

"Haha, yeah. I had been planning to go here for quite a while. A nice self-reward after graduating, you see," says Seungwan as she keeps on rubbing Seulgi's hand.

"That's nice. What degree did you get?"

"Medicine."

The woman whistled. "Ohhhh a rebel. I like that in a customer."

Seungwan laughs at her words, before turning to Seulgi. She tugs Seulgi's hand to grab her attention as the gentle whirr of machine fills the room.

Once Seulgi looks at her, Seungwan smiles. "You can wait outside if you wanna. I won't be long."

"No." Seulgi's mouth works faster than her brain. "I'll stay. You need me."

Deep down, both know that it's actually Seulgi who needs Seungwan's support. But Seulgi is too proud to admit it and Seungwan is too sweet to deny her request. So Seungwan lets Seulgi stay for the entire procedure, never once letting her hand go. Sometimes Seulgi sees Seungwan wincing as the needle goes through her skin, and she wonders how ed up her own face must be while witnessing Seungwan's broken skin drops blood.

She manages to survive until the employee declares Seungwan's piercings are done. The employee probably feels bad seeing Seulgi as white as a paper, that she tells her to get out first as she and Seungwan discuss the piercing's maintenance. Seulgi walks out of the room with severe lightheadedness and even worse hypotension. It's a miracle that she didn't pass out inside the room.

Seulgi misses the employee's comment about them being a cute couple, followed by Seungwan's nervous laughter. Though, even if she does, it will just fly through her hypoxic brain.

As she rests herself on the waiting room sofa, Seulgi tries to regulate her breathing so that her nausea will be gone soon. She waits for a few while until she sees Seungwan walking out of the room with the employee. She casts Seungwan a tired smile, one that Seungwan answers with a grin, then proceeds to black out.

**

It takes only about a month for Seungwan to visit Seulgi in her room right after returning home from the hospital. She has a stormy look on her face and a depressive mood following her around. She curls into Seulgi's open arms before muttering, with the saddest tone she ever had, "My preceptor berated me for having piercings. She won't allow me into the OR until I take them off."

Seulgi almost bursts out laughing at that exact moment. But she holds it in, knowing that Seungwan needs not another scolding after a rough day. Seungwan's preceptors aren't exactly the nicest people existing. Sure, they're smart. But they're also strict as hell and can have random explosive moods at any given time. For Seungwan to look that sad, she definitely has had her head chewed off by her preceptor.

So Seulgi hums, running a hand through Seungwan's dark tresses and buries her nose into her hair. The leftover sterile smell of a hospital pricks Seulgi a bit, before Seungwan's natural scent surges through.

"Would you like me to accompany you back to the parlor?"

Seungwan nods. "Only if you won't be fainting this time."

"Damn. Was about to offer ice cream but it seems like Seungwan doesn't need it."

Seungwan laughs, then she snuggles deeper into Seulgi's chest. Making herself as comfortable as possible, letting her body unwind from the tension and melt into an embrace she knows best.

"I don't mind no ice cream, as long as I get to spend the rest of the day with you."

.

.

.

.

.

25

Seulgi must be lucky that there's barely any police roaming the streets at night. Because if there are, she's sure they're going to chase her for driving like an absolute madlad through the highway connecting Seoul and Busan. Speeding at a minimum of 120 kph, her adrenaline is at its utmost high. Even more so after a can of Red Bull she inhaled in like five seconds top.

It's Sunday night, 10.30 pm. Seulgi should've been asleep to prepare for her next day at work. But instead, she's flying in her car, trying to reach Busan as fast and as safe as she can after an emergency phone call.

Doctor Seungwan had been stabbed.

Seulgi didn't even ask how or by who before she grabbed her car keys and dashed out of her apartment.

It's been almost a year since Seungwan moved out of their shared apartment in Seoul due to her designated intern year at Busan. Seulgi, who had been accepted into a well-known Webtoon agency after their graduation, decided to stay in Seoul and keep their college apartment for herself.

Usually, Seungwan would come over to their apartment whenever she has a rare day off. Even if Seulgi is busy all day, Seungwan will still come, enough to just cuddle with Seulgi at night and depart back to Busan early in the morning. Seulgi often promised that she will visit Seungwan in her hospital once she has an adequate day off, but she has yet to fulfill that promise.

Until today, that is.

The digital clock on her car shows 00.45 when Seulgi pulls into the hospital's parking lot. She runs into the ER, then stops herself a few steps from the door. She has to calm herself before she also gets admitted as a patient due to palpitations. Taking a few deep breaths, Seulgi enters the room, approaching the first nurse she sees.

"Hello." The nurse looks up from a file she's working on, visibly surprised when she sees Seulgi's haggard appearance. "Umm… I'm looking for doctor Seungwan."

"You must be doctor Seungwan's relative? May I know your name and your relationship with her?"

"Seulgi. Girlfriend." Seulgi blurts out the first word appearing in her brain. All she thinks about is how she doesn't want to declare herself as Seungwan's sister, and declaring herself as Seungwan's mom is definitely impossible to be believed in. Then she realizes that the nurses must be expecting Seungwan's closer relatives, so she elaborates. "Her family is in Seongbuk-dong. They informed me they can't be here until the next morning."

The nurse blinks, seemingly processing the information. Then she nods and calls a nursing student to come nearer. "Doctor Seungwan is already in the operating room. The procedure is expected to finish by 1 a.m. He," —gestures to the nursing student— "will take you there. But we need to have your and her data to be submitted to the administration first, if that's okay with you?"

Seulgi agrees, so the nurse starts writing in the identification sheet as she asks for some personal data. It takes no longer than five minutes and soon she's already following the nursing student deeper into the hospital.

The OR waiting room is barren. Aside from her and the nursing student, there's a woman wearing dark pink scrubs sitting on the sofa with her head tilted back; apparently asleep. Seulgi thanks the nursing student then takes a seat across the woman.

Her arrival must have disturbed the woman's sleep as she cracks her eyes open.

"Greetings."

Seulgi almost jumps out of her seat.

"Are you doctor Seungwan's relative?" asks the woman.

Despite the bleary eyes and the line of fatigues on the woman's feature, she looks beautiful. Probably one of Seungwan's older colleagues.

"Yes I am."

The woman nods. "I'm Joohyun. Obstetric resident. I must thank you first before saying this to doctor Seungwan herself. She saved my life."

With her caffeine-riddled, panicking brain, Seulgi doesn't know what to say aside from a, "What happened?"

Doctor Joohyun exhales before explaining. "I have a patient with an abusive household. She ran away to seek proper treatment. While at this point, she is healthy, her husband found her whereabouts, then followed her here. ER called me to talk with the husband earlier, and doctor Seungwan is working her night shift so she accompanied me. He did seem to be a bit.. out of his mind, but we didn't expect him to bring a knife and tried to stab me."

"So Seungwan stepped in and got stabbed instead?"

"She did, yes."

Seulgi doesn't respond. She looks towards the OR, feeling the exhaustion and fear catching up to her, and slumps on her seat. Her forlorn look must've make dr. Joohyun concerned because the woman resumes her explanation.

"The knife didn't injure any vital organs, thankfully. She has to be operated to take the knife out safely and stabilize her so she doesn't bleed out too much. Her attending surgeon is dr. Kwon Boah, one of our seniors here, so rest assured she's in good hands."

"Thank you, doc."

Then, silence. Seulgi is too anxious to continue talking about Seungwan's potential condition, and dr. Joohyun seems to realize that. She lets Seulgi in her own corner, watching the younger girl closely as she prays.

About half an hour after Seulgi's arrival, a nurse emerges from the OR, nodding at Seulgi and dr. Joohyun who stand up at his appearance. "Doctor Seungwan's family?"

Seulgi steps forward. "I am."

The nurse gestures for Seulgi to follow him into the OR. He explains about her current condition, assuring Seulgi that the operation is successful and Seungwan is recuperating. But she will be transferred to the ICU for the time being. Even if her condition is stable, she suffered from major blood loss and needs to be observed closely to prevent any other complication.

Seulgi follows the nurse as he and his team transfer Seungwan to the ICU, watches as they move her best friend's unconscious body to the ICU bed, then listens as the attending physician explains about the next treatment and the outcome she can expect. She is not allowed to stay with Seungwan in the ICU for the rest of the night, so she asks to accompany Seungwan for a while.

Seungwan's hands are cold, just like Seulgi's own. The OR must've been freezing to make her usually warm hands to be this chilly. A big blanket covering Seungwan helps in regulating her temperature, though she's still so much colder than she usually is. Seulgi rubs Seungwan's hand to warm her, as she regards her friend, noting how much paler Seungwan seems. The "blood loss" mentioned by the nurse earlier must've been more serious than they let her know. Or maybe she was just unable to digest their words perfectly when she's under a huge amount of stress.

"I'll be sleeping outside." Seulgi murmurs as she connects her forehead with Seungwan's temple, hoping that her voice will be heard. "Your Mom and Dad will be here by sunrise. They're waiting for you… I am waiting for you. Get well, and wake up soon, ok?"

Seulgi kisses Seungwan's forehead before she exits the ICU. Turns out, dr. Joohyun is waiting outside for her, offering a place to rest in her apartment near the hospital. She declines the offer and dr. Joohyun leaves her for the time being. Promising she will visit Seungwan in the morning after she finished her round.

Exhaustion finally catches up with her as Seulgi slumps on the sofa available in the ICU waiting room. She was about to sleep when she remembers that Seungwan's parents must also be worried sick of their girl. So she spares a few minutes to send them a message, before closing her eyes to catch a few hours of rest.

**

Seungwan wakes up at 8 a.m that day. Her parents and older sister arrived not much longer, and they're all greatly relieved when they see that their youngest family member is already conscious enough to greet them. Seungwan is also happy to have them all visiting her, despite the situation. She's even happier to see Seulgi between them. Even if she expresses her concern about Seulgi taking her paid-leave only to accompany her, there's no denying the sparkle in her eyes every time she sees Seulgi visiting her.

But there's only so many days Seulgi can ditch her work until her boss is screaming at her, and so she has to say goodbye to Seungwan after the fifth day.

Seungwan is, as expected, upset. She had complained multiple times, asking to be moved from the ICU to the common room as soon as she's able to feed herself. She had stated that she was lonely but felt disruptive to the other patients if she talk to the nurses. She wanted to stay in the common room so Seulgi and her parents can accompany her 24/7. Her surgeon, who has apparently grown close to her during their months of working together, denied her request for two days. The surgeon only granted it yesterday after Seungwan proved her ability to walk around without collapsing.

And once she's happily out and about, Seulgi has to return to Seoul. The frown Seungwan wears on her face just gets deeper and deeper each minute passing. She's not satisfied enough with only a full night sleeping with Seulgi in her ward.

"I just got transferred out from the ICU." Seungwan pouts as Seulgi feeds her some porridge. "I'm not even allowed to eat harder food yet! I want to bring you to a restaurant nearby. You would love the food, trust me."

Seulgi chuckles. "You know how it is, Wan. I can't leave my job for too long. I'll visit you again next weekend."

"You always said you'll visit me, but you never did."

"Not this time. I promise."

"Sure you will. Anyway, just in case you don't appear, what will I get in return at our next meeting?"

That takes Seulgi aback. Oh. So Seungwan is actually holding a grudge for her not visiting at all. She rubs her chin, acting as if she's thinking, then, "How about I give you a kiss?"

Seungwan sticks her tongue out. "You kiss me at least once a week back in college. The value of your kiss has been lessened considerably."

Seulgi puts a hand over her chest, faking her hurt. "What?! I haven't kissed you in almost a year! Surely the value has already soared back to its peak?"

"Nu'uh." Seungwan crosses her arms and shakes her head. "I can take kisses as the payment. But only one won't be enough."

"One and a half, then."

"What—? How do you even divide a kiss?!"

During their endless banter about the decent compensation for Seungwan, someone knocks on the door. It's doctor Joohyun again. The obstetric resident has been visiting Seungwan every day, often bringing snacks and beverages, then talks for a few minutes before going on her way. She had repeated her gratitude over the past four days, but Seulgi suspects the tiny doctor also feels remorseful for being careless and caused someone else to be hurt.

This time, though, dr. Joohyun requests to be left alone with Seungwan.

The moment Seulgi steps out of the room and closes the door, Seungwan frowns. She had followed dr. Joohyun's rounds enough to know that she prefers to deliver bad news eye to eye with her patients. For her to ask Seulgi to stay outside, she definitely doesn't regard Seulgi as a close enough "relative" to hear Seungwan's bad news.

"Is something happening, doc?"

Doctor Joohyun sighs. She takes a seat on the chair beside Seungwan's bed before elaborating. "I have heard some talks, yes. Some people in the upper management had requested you to come give your testimony about the assault in court. But if the case drags out, then by the hospital's policy, it means your internship will be halted and you will need to prolong your internship year by the time the case is solved."

Seungwan's frown deepens. She doesn't want to have unpaid work to compensate for something technically not her fault. "Can I just… not testify?"

"I don't think you can. As the primary victim, the court requires your statement."

Massaging her temple, Seungwan takes a deep breath the looks up to dr. Joohyun. "Is there any other way to avoid the prolong? I would like to finish my intern year at the same time as my friends."

Doctor Joohyun crosses her arms. "I have talked with the obstetric team to appeal for you to the management. Afterall, you got into this situation because of me. Doctor Kangta and dr. Taeyeon had agreed to help. We just need dr. Sooman's agreement to move to the management. Let's just hope everyone else is on board, and we won't get any trouble with the public health ministry."

That seems to appease Seungwan. She leans back on her bed, beaming as she utters her gratitude to the resident. Even if they weren't at all close beforehand, the resident who is nine years her senior has been very supportive of her. Feels like having another older sister. And having obstetrician contact is very valuable for Seungwan, who herself dreams of being an obstetrician after she's older.

"Guess that's all I need to say. Don't think about it too much. Just relax and let me handle the rest." With a nod, dr. Joohyun rises up from her seat. Her eyes stray a bit to see the unfinished bowl of porridge on top of Seungwan's bedside table. A smile graces her lips as she looks back at Seungwan. "Excuse me for probing, but you have such a wonderful girlfriend."

Seungwan chokes. Not at all expecting the remark. "W-what? Seulgi? She's.. she's not my girlfriend."

Doctor Joohyun raises her eyebrows, surprised. "Oh? Then the nurse must've misheard. It's been quite a hot topic lately, about dr. Seungwan and her gorgeous girlfriend."

There's no hiding the blush blossoming on Seungwan's face. She shakes her head, trying to stop it from spreading, but dr. Joohyun had seen it immediately. The resident's knowing laughter makes Seungwan want to jump out of the hospital's window.

"So you do like her."

Seungwan covers her face. Muttering a few incorrigible sentences before groaning a soft, "Yes…"

"Then? What's stopping you? She's a sweet girl and she cares deeply about you. Just put a ring on her before someone else snatch her from you."

The corner of Seungwan's eye twitch. She knows just how nosy a sleep-deprived resident could be. She just doesn't expect that she will become a target one day. Then again, maybe dr. Joohyun has a point.

She does like Seulgi. Far more than just a friend. And Seulgi definitely likes her enough to never deny Seungwan's cuddles. She also loves to kiss Seungwan almost everywhere on her face. Almost, and now Seungwan wonders whether she has to be the one taking the first step for Seulgi to finally kiss her on the lips.

As far as Seungwan knows, Seulgi isn't courting anyone, nor being courted by anyone. Seulgi is still focused on her work as of now. But if come the day someone goes down on one knee for Seulgi, and it's not Seungwan herself, then Seungwan is a hundred sure her soul will be ripped out of her body.

"I'll—"

"Think about it. Typical answer. I wish you luck, though."

With that, dr. Joohyun excuses herself. She throws a grin at Seungwan when she passes by Seulgi at the door, causing the latter to stare at her in confusion. Perhaps it is a blessing that Seungwan is able to hide her blush a split second before Seulgi's eyes are focused on her.

"What were you talking about?" Seulgi asks. She narrows her eyes when Seungwan nervously coughs. "You were with her for so long. Were you guys gossiping about me when I was out?"

"It's not that. Just a few unimportant things."

"Oh really?"

Seulgi's suspicious tone prompts Seungwan to raise an eyebrow. She smirks, finding an idea to best friend. "What's the matter? Are you jealous?"

The narrowed monolid eyes got even more narrowed. "I need not to be jealous of a married woman with two kids. Unless…"

"Wait—you know she's married?"

"The nurses told me. What? You didn't know? Want to call her mommy now, huh?"

Seungwan bursts out laughing. She cackles so hard that she has to hold her wounded stomach so it won't aggravate her stitches too much. Seeing Seulgi pouting, she tries to hold her laughter, but only to end up wheezing her lungs out. Seungwan coughs as she waves a dismissive hand then pats the empty space on her bed.

"It really was nothing worth your concern. Just some issues about my intern year." As Seungwan explains, Seulgi takes a seat in the offered place. Snuggling into Seungwan's side while Seungwan wraps an arm around her waist. The bed is crowded, sure, and she has to be careful not to nudge Seungwan's injuries, but the comfort is very much welcomed. She's going to miss this once she returns to Seoul.

"We still have a few hours." Seulgi peeks towards the clock on the wall. "I'll leave at three. Is it okay if I stay like this for a while?"

Seungwan hums. "Of course. Ah, anyway, Seul. I kinda got an idea about what should you pay me with if you don't come next week."

Seulgi cuts through before Seungwan finishes her sentence. "I'll come. I truly promise this time."

"I'm looking forward to it."

Silence consumes them before Seulgi murmurs.

"…but, if you want that 'kiss for payment' so bad, I can give you some. Take it as an apology for not visiting you for almost a year."

"You sure?"

"Mhm."

"Well.." her lips, Seungwan clears and looks down at Seulgi. The other girl looks up at her, with glowing, innocent monolid eyes that send her heart into a frenzy. "Do you… mind if I'm the one kissing you now?"

Seulgi shakes her head. Seungwan gets a feeling that, perhaps, Seulgi has had a clue about what she's going to do. As she leans closer, she catches sight of her best friend's eyelids fluttering. Nervous? Maybe. Her hand also trembles when she cups Seulgi's jaw within her palm.

There's no such things as rejection. Not a single muscle twitch in refusal. Only acceptance, as their lips meet and let them melt into each other. As Seungwan basks herself in Seulgi's soft lips, and her softer hand grasping at her robe, as Seulgi lets herself weaken under Seungwan's kiss, kept upright only by the warm hand caressing her cheek.

Their embrace connects them to each other. Their heart; their soul. Seulgi into Seungwan, Seungwan into Seulgi; as everything else fades into the background.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

27

After two years of clinical round, and one year of internship, plus two years of working as the emergency room doctor, Seungwan would never imagine that she would be having a fear of a hospital room. Yet here she is, sweating bullets, as she stands before the LDR room with a bag of mineral water in her hand. She almost darts out of the hallway when the door opens, revealing a medical student who seems to be as surprised as she is.

"Doctor Seungwan." The student, who Seungwan vaguely remembers as Karina, approaches her. The tall girl smiles and slightly bows. "I was tasked to find you. Doctor Joohyun is requesting your presence."

Seungwan clears . "Yeah.. I know."

Karina looks a bit discouraged when Seungwan stands as still as a statue. "Is there any problem, doc? Can I help you?"

"No it's… it's nothing. I'll be there. Thank you."

The medstud bows once again at her as she walks towards the LDR room. The entire ward is quite empty today. It's easy to locate dr. Joohyun, who is sitting at the nurse station writing on her notes. The older woman, now a certified obstetrician after her graduation over a year ago, looks up at Seungwan when she hears her footsteps approaching.

They have grown close since the accident two years ago. Doctor Joohyun eagerly took Seungwan under her mantle, teaching her everything she knows until they have to part ways when she finished her education at Seungwan's internship hospital. They maintained close contact even after parting ways. Fate reunited them in Seoul only half a year before this, when Seungwan got hired as a new ER doctor, and doctor Joohyun as the youngest addition to the obstetric team.

And now, considering their bond, it's only natural for Seungwan to entrust her greatest treasure under dr. Joohyun's care.

But dr. Joohyun seems pissed seeing her. Seungwan wouldn't blame the obstetrician, especially after her unannounced disappearance since about an hour ago.

"Where have you been?" The senior scowls as Seungwan sheepishly takes a seat beside her. "Your wife woke up and you were gone. Almost had a meltdown if I wasn't there. I swear to God, Seungwan, even if Seulgi is asleep, you need to inform us if you want to go out."

Seungwan grins apologetically as she scratches her head. "Sorry.. I need a few minutes for myself. How is she?"

"She's great. Her progress is slow but steady. As this is her first one, I'd say this is good enough. It won't be long until she's ready to deliver."

She shows a few charts she has been writing on. As far as working in this environment taught Seungwan, the charts dr. Joohyun had brought up is as good as it can get. She breathes out in relief, muttering a soft thank you. The older regards her for a while before continuing. "Got something on your mind?"

Seungwan smiles. There's no hiding from this perceptive woman. "My nerves are eating me up. I know I'm not the one going through everything but.. I just can't help it. I'm sorry."

Doctor Joohyun pats her arm, assuring her as she grasps her clammy hands. "There's no reason for you to be sorry. You're also going through everything. Best I can say is, don't go through it on your own. You have each other, go together. It'll make it easier to have someone supporting you. That goes for her, as well."

Seungwan nods, taking a few deep breaths. "By the way.. are our parents really not allowed to come inside? Our moms are very anxious, and I think I'd do better if I have them around."

The sight of dr. Joohyun shaking her head makes Seungwan sigh. "Sorry, no. Hospital rule. Considering we're both juniors, I really don't want to make any deviations yet. I would've let you if either one of us had worked for at least five years here. But for now, no."

The older woman then nudges Seungwan towards Seulgi's room, gesturing her to leave the station and accompany her wife. "Don't keep her alone for too long. She'd appreciate it if you stay as close to her as possible. But if you feel overwhelmed, do tell us. We don't want you to have a panic attack at the time of the delivery. That would only endanger everyone around here."

"You seem really knowledgeable about that."

The sigh dr. Joohyun lets out sounds tired as hell. But there also is a small, affectionate smile on her lips as she recites her own experience. "You already met my wife. You know what kind of a woman Sooyoung is. Had to lock her out of my own delivery room to prevent her from biting the midwives' heads off."

With that, she ushers Seungwan to leave her and enter Seulgi's room. When Seungwan steps into the room, she is greeted by the sight of Seulgi laying on her side with her back facing at her, humming to a song she's playing on her phone as she absentmindedly rubs her enlarged belly. Because Seulgi doesn't realize her arrival, Seungwan pauses to take a good look at her wife.

Seulgi looks.. fragile. She has always been lithe since they were young. With long dainty arms and a small waist that can fit inside Seungwan's arms perfectly. Different from Seungwan's fuller, more compact figure.

Within those slender frames, though, Seungwan knows just how strong her wife is. Strong enough to open lids Seungwan cannot. Strong enough to handle their house problems despite her busy work, knowing that Seungwan will return home even more exhausted than she is.

Strong enough to carry their lovechild for 9 long months. All without tire.

Now that Seungwan thinks about it, the word fragile really doesn't suit her at all. She just looks like someone who Seungwan wants to embrace and hold as tight as she can. Someone who she can shower with love for every single day they're together. Someone who Seungwan wants to protect will her life.

"Gi."

A small call is enough to make Seulgi turn her head, smiling as she sees Seungwan walking closer.

"Where have you been?" she asks. Her voice sounds softer than she usually is. Probably tired with the waves of pain running through her entire body, or maybe she's reserving her strength for the event to come. She giggles when Seungwan kisses her forehead and scoots away to give her wife some space.

"I got you pringles." Seungwan explains as she puts her bag on the bedside counter. "Also water, and some packets of instant porridge, if you want some?"

"Ah, I'd love me some pringles. And—" Seulgi winces, suddenly growing tense as her stomach contracts. She takes a deep breath before trying to relax. Then she looks up at Seungwan, her eyes pleading to her wife as she cracks a shy smile. "And a cuddle, please?"

"Won't I make you uncomfortable?"

Because Seulgi shakes her head, Seungwan carefully lies on the bed behind Seulgi and hugs her wife. She'd rub her belly every time her wife moans or whimpers in pain. Kisses her neck and shoulders at every little shudder, trying to make Seulgi as comfortable as possible. She also tries to feed Seulgi her requested pringles. Though in the end they both give up with laughters after the crumbs fall into Seulgi's robe, causing her to get pricked by tiny pringles.

Seungwan stayed in the position for almost two hours, only getting up once Seulgi said that her pain is getting more often and more unbearable. She was tempted to check Seulgi's progress by herself. But Seulgi, embarrassed, pushed her away and told her to get the midwives.

The thing that surprises Seungwan is how dr. Joohyun is still loitering around the LDR room. She says something along the line of being the on call obstetrician. As there's currently no emergency call, she chooses to help a friend through her labor.

Seungwan almost breaks to tears at her words, prompting dr. Joohyun to pinch her arm.

"You've been a real wimp since the last two years I know you." She quips. That kind of scars Seungwan's ego even if she knows that the older woman is joking. "You had your first kiss because of me. Married her because I threatened you. And now you're going to be a mush as your wife fights for her life and your child's? I thought with your intelligence you'd be better than my himbo of a wife. Be strong! Support her! I know you can do it!"

A slap hit her arm as dr. Joohyun drags her into the delivery room. Seungwan can't help but grin at her, agreeing with everything she said. If not for dr. Joohyun's encouragement, she won't be brave enough to initiate their first kiss. When she was hesitant to take things into the next step, dr. Joohyun was also the one pushing her. Saying how they have had enough of that "knowing each other" phase for the rest of their lives and are definitely ready to tie the knot.

If anything, Seungwan is eternally grateful to find herself a bond with dr. Joohyun.

Seungwan sits on the chair beside Seulgi's bed, finding her hand and kisses her temple once. A long, loving kiss, that gets Seulgi to giggle despite the constant pain she's experiencing.

"I love you. You're doing great. Good luck, my love," she whispers, hoping that it will serve as an encouragement for Seulgi. She receives a smile in return. Seulgi's soft, brave smile eases her nerves, until she sees dr. Joohyun walking towards them as she secures her gown.

Does everything just become blurry when you're experiencing what seems to be the most intense moment in your life? Because Seungwan feels like it is. She hears noises; Seulgi's cries, dr. Joohyun's calm voice, the midwives' footsteps echoing in her ears. She can feel Seulgi's hand grasping at her own, and she will squeeze harder as she offers a few kisses to Seulgi's temple.

Seungwan doesn't know how many times had passed. The only thing she can register is how Seulgi's hand is trembling, and how it must be so painful for her that she sounds like that. Half of Seungwan's mind wishes she can take Seulgi's pain from her, as the other half slips further and further away, until it's nothing but darkness behind her eyes.

***

"She's gone?"

"Yup. She's gone alright."

Laughing in exhaustion, Seulgi pulls herself up slightly to place a kiss on Seungwan's cheek. Her wife had been knocked out cold since God knows when; they were all too focused on her to realize that Seungwan was passing out while witnessing her delivery. Seulgi, too, isn't quite aware since when did Seungwan's whispers and kisses cease to exist. All she knows is that she delivered her baby safely, and when she was about to share her excitement with Seungwan, she finds her wife's face planted on the bed with no signs of waking up.

Doctor Joohyun can only shake her head in disbelief. She calls one of her med students, a tall girl named Karina, to drag Seungwan out of the room as to not disturb the midwives who are cleaning Seulgi.

"I apologize about her. She's not usually this weak-hearted." Seulgi laughs, slowly going limp as she lets the exhaustion seep through. Though her entire body feels sore and somewhat numb, her heart is filled with unbridled joy. Especially as she gazes upon her child, a healthy baby girl, crying loudly as she's being measured and cleaned.

"It happens all the time. Even to the ones who had helped others delivered. No matter how empathetic you are, it still feels different when the woman you're with is someone you know for a day, vs your dearly beloved walking the narrow thread between life and death." Doctor Joohyun shrugs. "The team will not let her live after this, though. Rest assured, in two days, the entire hospital will know about this incident. Good luck for her having to hear that for the rest of her life."

"Hehe.. I'll make sure to warn her later."

Right after Seulgi finishes, one of the midwives brings her baby to her. Already cleaned up, her baby girl looks like a bundle little of sunshine, soft blushing cheeks radiant with life. Seulgi takes her child gratefully and embraces her close to her chest, feeling her heart soar at the sight of her baby huddled up in her hold.

Her baby. Her child. The fruition of the love she shares with Seungwan.

"Look how beautiful you are." She whispers, the thin tuft of hair on her baby's head. She kisses her baby's forehead, giggling when she squirms. The baby whines, probably annoyed that her comfort is being disturbed. Seulgi tries to adjust her hold to return her to sleep. But she's not successful, so out of curiosity, she kisses her baby once again.

Miraculously, her second kiss works and now her baby has returned to her calm state.

Seulgi can't help but to laugh at her baby's antics. "You really are just like your Mom, aren't you, little bear? Both of you can't get enough of my kisses."

Doctor Joohyun, who is busy cleaning her own apron and gown, must've heard that because she chuckles. She throws her dirty outfit to the laundry basket before approaching Seulgi with a smile on her face.

"So… we have our cute little baby bear. Does that mean you're the mama bear?"

Seulgi giggles at dr. Joohyun's remark. She looks upon her baby once again, suppressing the urge to smother her with kisses as her child yawns and snuggles into her chest; searching for warmth.

"Mama bear, huh? I like the sound of that." Seulgi smiles. She shifts her body so her baby could lean more comfortably on her.

"Gotta praise you for being a total champion, mama bear. You were so strong and resilient during your first delivery." Doctor Joohyun sighs, then. She might sound exasperated, but there's an unmistakable air of humor in her voice as she continues. "And then we have our papa bear… having to be dragged out of the room for passing out in the most embarrassing way possible. Or is it Mommy bear? Either way, such a disgrace."

That gets Seulgi to laugh. She gazes to the empty chair that Seungwan had sat on before, sighing fondly at the memory of her wife. Even in her unconsciousness, Seungwan still holds her tight, giving her an enormous boost of strength that she desperately needs.

Just like how Seungwan always is.

After making sure that the room is clean, dr. Joohyun informs one of the midwives to call Seulgi's mother. Once Seulgi's mom is inside, she explains a few additional things to them; what to do, what to don't, the signs of emergency, how to start feeding her baby, et cetera. She also informs that she will stay in the hospital until dusk, when her on-call period ends. After making sure that her explanations are well understood, she excuses herself, trusting that Seulgi and her baby are already in good hands.

It takes about an hour after her labor, just as Seulgi is preparing to feed her wailing baby, for Seungwan to enter her room with an extremely red face and stiff posture. The sight of her very humiliated wife approaching her prompts Seulgi to laugh. Her mom immediately teases the young doctor, causing poor Seungwan to shrink even further in her embarrassment.

But Seulgi decides that her wife has gotten through enough hardships today. She requests her mother to leave them for a while, wanting to let Seungwan bond with their newborn baby.

"Your timing is impeccable," says Seulgi after her mother is out of hearing range. She receives a puzzled look in return, and she has to force herself not to laugh at her wife's innocence. "Coming right back in when I'm starting to feed. You have a keen radar for my s."

Seungwan looks aghast. Seems like she's in no capacity to process a joke at this point. "No I—I don't—"

"Wannie." Seulgi cuts in, grabbing Seungwan's hand.

It's so cold. So unlike her.

Seulgi immediately realizes just how heartbroken Seungwan must be. Their first child's birth is such an important event, one that Seungwan looked forward to and dreaded the most. She had her worries about Seulgi's health and safety, but she also had worries about herself. She feared if she won't be mentally or physically adequate to accompany Seulgi through, feared if she won't be present at the time of her delivery.

Feared if she would crack at the helplessness of being unable to share her struggle.

And to think that her worst fear came true. Seulgi doesn't want to wonder just how much Seungwan blames herself for her failure to stay on her side.

So, before Seungwan can self-deprecate in front of her, Seulgi guides her hand to touch their baby. Seungwan is hesitant at first. But after Seulgi grasps her firmer, she carefully starts rubbing their baby's bundle, smiling when her fingers brush with their baby's skin.

"She's so pretty, isn't she?"

A soft sigh of happiness and a nod are all Seungwan can spare.

"I think her eyes will look like me." Seulgi continues on. She casts a glance to Seungwan, forcing down a smile when she sees her wife's mirthful eyes focused on their daughter. "She'll have your mouth, I guess. Her cries were so.. loud."

Seungwan snorts. "Glad to hear that I won't be getting any more of silent treatments in the house."

This time, Seulgi's laughter is shared. Her heart warms with love when Seungwan stands up to press a long kiss to her forehead. As Seungwan slides down to kiss her lips, Seulgi lifts her hand to caress Seungwan's jaw, chancing a swipe to tuck Seungwan's bangs to behind her ears.

"Thank you." Seungwan's words are no louder than a whisper. She rests her forehead over Seulgi's own, enjoying the way their breaths mingle and the warmth radiating from her wife's body. "Thank you for being so strong for our daughter. I'm sorry I wasn't there.. but just know that I'm so… so grateful for you and our daughter."

Seulgi kisses Seungwan again, smiling into the kiss. She pulls away to look straight into Seungwan's eyes, altogether with securing their baby so she won't be squished in between her parents. "I won't be here if not for you, too. Thank you, Wannie…"

"But.. I…"

Seulgi grabs Seungwan's hand once more, just the way Seungwan did when she went through labor. "You held my hand so tightly. Give me strength with your kisses. Had you were not there as my anchor, I won't be able to do it the way I did. You even held my hand after you passed out. No matter in what state you're in, you still protect and support me to your very end."

Seungwan looks glum for a while. Sheepishly looking up at Seulgi, and, "..did I?"

"Ask dr. Joohyun. She'll answer you the same."

"Oh, ew, no." Seungwan cringes hard. "I deliberately hid from her earlier, y'know? That woman will annihilate me if she meets me after that incident."

"Well, she'll find you either way. Sooner or later."

Her wife's fearful, contorting face seems funny enough for her to see. Seulgi lifts herself up to peck Seungwan's cheek, giggling when she manages to catch Seungwan by surprise. The warm, loving look by her wife follows her as she reclines back to her bed, putting more attention to her baby who has apparently felt full enough.

"I'll make it up next time." Seungwan promises. While her hands help Seulgi in shifting around so both she and her baby will be comfortable. "Won't even blink when the time comes."

"So there will be the second?"

"Only if you want it, though."

"I would love to." Smiling, Seulgi savors the kiss Seungwan gives her and closes her eyes.

As her baby falls to sleep and Seungwan's gentle voice sings them a lullaby, Seulgi wonders; what will the future hold for their little family?

She doesn't know for sure. What she knows is, if she has Seungwan by her side, then she can survive anything the world throws her.

Their little family is complete.

For now.

 

 

 

Fin

 

 

 

N.b

ER: emergency room

OR: operating room

LDR: labor, delivery, and recovery room