Radiance

Radiance

As far as the world knows, they'd been best friends since the beginning of time. Doojoon was his shoulder to cry on, his everlasting support, and the keeper to all of his secrets. Yoseob was his hope, his reason to keep smiling, and Yoseob was the best thing that ever happened to him. They  were never seen apart. Wherever Yoseob went, Doojoon was quick to follow with his trademark grin; wherever Doojoon went, Yoseob was to be found nearby, throwing teasing remarks at his friend.

For some time, their worlds contained nothing but the other. Doojoon refused to play soccer without Yoseob in attendance, and vice versa. When they were split onto different teams due to their ages, it was easy to spot Yoseob cheering Doojoon on from his spot in the bleachers—easy to spot Doojoon yelling encouraging words out at Yoseob.

Their friendship became so empowering and evident that family and friends and sometimes even random strangers began to expect more from the duo; they expected the pair to grow into something more, together. They expected a long-lasting relationship that would be full of love and understanding and encouragement.

Doojoon didn't care what others said.

Yoseob shied away.

Doojoon wasn't one to let others deter what he thought was right, and therefore, he went on as if others' speculations meant nothing to him. In a way, this was true; he wouldn't allow something so silly to ruin his and Yoseob's friendship. But every now and then, thoughts would plague his mind, thoughts of romance and the future. Slowly but surely, he succumbed to their wishes; he fell in love with his best friend.

Yoseob was petrified. He didn't think of Doojoon in that way, and he doubted that he ever would. It was kind of creepy; to think of him like that after all they'd been through. Yoseob was amazed with him, though. Yoseob was amazed at the way he seemed unfazed. Yoseob simply couldn't believe that what they said had no impact on Doojoon, because it was eating at him from the inside, burning his will. Yoseob hated having people expect so much from him like that. He didn't want to fall in love with Doojoon—so he didn't. He backed away, made a hairline fracture in their friendship that he knew would eventually break them apart. It had to be done, he reasoned.

So, the others watched, unsuspecting, as the flames that once powered Yoon Doojoon's and Yang Yoseob's relationship died down, leaving them with a small bundle of slight warmth that couldn't be rekindled.

xXx

It was snowing, fresh flakes of frozen peace, all similar but unique. Yoseob could feel himself glowing, for nothing could stop his happiness, nothing could stop his smile, and nothing could stop the momentous amount of sheer emotion that was pounding in his veins.

Absolutely nothing could stop him now, nothing but a certain Yoon Doojoon.

Yoseob couldn't deny the fact that he had been avoiding Doojoon; that much was obvious. Doojoon was probably only there to demand a reason, and as possible scenarios flew through Yoseob’s head, the crunching of snow signified him getting closer, closer to Yoseob. Yoseob could feel his happiness melting into worry; Yoseob could feel the smile slipping off of his face.

Doojoon’s expression, however, was not one of anger, but rather…one of childish hope. It was an emotion Yoseob had seen on Doojoon’s face many times, but at that moment, it left Yoseob with a certain feeling of dread.

Yoseob could barely figure out the words Doojoon was saying, but Yoseob found himself replying, saying who-knows-what, and then he was being pushed into the warmth that was Junhyung's hug by an encouraging hand and a lopsided grin.

In that moment, Yoseob resisted the urge to hug Doojoon and tell him that he's the best friend Yoseob could ask for, because that would be so cliché and awkward.

Instead, Yoseob smiled at him, and with a slight nod, he left Doojoon—and unknown to him, Doojoon’s heart was beating fast and his stomach hurt and he was in so much pain it was unbearable, and he was beginning to draw the conclusion that maybe, just maybe, he expected a bit too much from Yoseob.

Because when Yoseob smiles at him, the simple action is brighter than the sun and it's so radiant and perfect he thinks it can melt his worries away.

But when Yoseob smiles at him, the other guy, the one that Yoseob doesn't know half as well but loves anyway, it's just a little bit brighter.

'cause their radiance was stronger than anyone had ever seen, and you know how people are—they always manage to destroy the unbelievable.