Nine Years

9 Years

It's almost 10 in the evening when the boys arrive at the dorm. They file in one by one, making sure to spray their hands with alcohol before touching anything else.

“I’m showering first!” Renjun rushes to the bathroom.

“Go ahead, hyung.” Jisung responds, begrudgingly dragging himself to the kitchen and sitting on a dining chair. Chenle follows him, heading straight to the fridge for some refreshments.

“Coke?” Chenle directs his question at Jisung which the other responds with a nod.

Jeno looks around, then turns on the air purifier, making sure the ionizer is ticked on as well. Can't be too careful these days. He sits on the sofa with his full weight, feeling the tiredness of the days’ activities. He looks at the time on his phone, it's still quite early to be home during promos but he's just as exhausted as if it were a full schedule. He shifts around on the sofa, trying to find that comfortable spot.

Jaemin is at the entrance, fixing the shoes that the members left by the door. Then, he puts on slippers and trudges to the sofa, plopping beside Jeno. They sit in silence for a minute, Jeno leaning on Jaemin’s shoulder.

"Jeno." Jaemin places his hand on Jeno's knee.

Jeno tilts his head, seeing Jaemin's face in full view.

"Time to shower." Jaemin says, a necessary step they must take as an added precaution.

Jeno's face scrunches in a grimace. He sighs, knowing full well it's the right thing to do since they were outside the whole day. "Okay. Shower time." He pushes himself off the sofa, pausing for a second, waiting for Jaemin to get up and follow him. They head towards their bedrooms then Jeno puts an arm on Jaemin's shoulders.

"A fan told me something nice today."

"Yeah? What did they say?"

"You and I...we've known each other for nine years!" Jeno exclaims, squeezing the other in a side hug.

Jaemin chuckles. "Oh I remember that person. They told me the same thing." He looks at Jeno and squeezes his cheek. "We've been together for that long, huh?"

Jeno smiles, eyes curling along, his heart warm and fuzzy. “I’m glad.” He looks at Jaemin in the eyes. “It’s nice to know that we’ve been together for this long already.”

Just then, Renjun opens the bathroom door.

“Saranghae, Jeno-ya.” Jaemin says teasingly, pouting in his signature aegyo pose, finger on his pursed lips. “Chuuuu…”

Renjun rolls his eyes. “Get a room, you two.”

 

--

It's bedtime. The dorm is quiet, lights are out and only the quiet humming of the airconditioner fills the boys' rooms. Jaemin is still on his phone, his body is longing for sleep but his mind is still chugging away. His bedroom door opens and a freshly showered Jeno peeks in. He spots Jaemin then quietly steps inside, shutting the door behind him. Jaemin scoots toward the wall and Jeno takes his spot beside him, snuggling underneath the blanket.

"Cat videos?" Jeno whispers, looking at Jaemin's screen.

Jaemin grins. "Look at this." He shows him several clips of cats and various animals. They coo at the cuteness and giggle at the silly videos.

"Hyung." Jisung looks down from the bunk above. "Let's sleep already." He begs, voice groggy.

Jeno and Jaemin giggle. "Sorry."

Jaemin closes his phone, and both try to get comfortable under the blanket. They are on both ends of the bed, feet tangled snuggly, hands almost touching and faces just a few inches apart. Jeno places his hand on top of Jaemin's, interlacing their fingers. He pulls it toward his chest, almost possessively.

Jaemin smiles. "Aigoo. Are you feeling sentimental?"

Jeno nods. "A little." He returns the other's smile and brings Jaemin's hand toward his cheek, as if wanting a caress.

Jaemin obliges, gently pressing his hand on Jeno's cheek. "Nine years, huh?" his finger traces his jaw, his chin, then he stops at his lips. "Should we do something to celebrate?"

Jeno purses his lips, giving a tiny peck on Jaemin's finger, then he holds his hand in his, and gently pulls Jaemin close, planting a soft kiss on his lips. "I'd like that." Jeno says, wrapping his arms around Jaemin.

Jaemin snuggles into the hug. "Let's plan it out soon." He yawns, the familiar warmth lulling him to sleep.

Jeno yawns as well. "Ok. Goodnight Jaeminie."

"Goodnight the most handsome man in the world."