Uno

Wish You Were Mine

"She's already done with her shooting!" Somin announced to everyone. 

 

Everyone gathered at Somin's house to celebrate Jihyo's birthday. Right now, the girl just finished her shooting and is taking a nap while waiting for their director to let them go. 

 

"I'll get her." Jongkook said and stood up.

 

"Is everything okay now? How about the cake? the balloons?"Jaesuk asked, He's the one who organized this mini birthday celebration for their friend.

 

"Of course it's already done, oppa." Somin said and turned to Jongkook. "You should go and get Eunnie now, before she went on her Dreamland."

 

"Don't spill anything on her, Hyung, or else everything will be worthless!" Sechan reminded him. Knowing Kim Jongkook, he's always been true to Jihyo, but there's only one thing he can't say to her. His feelings.

 

He is pretty sure that he is gentleman enough and that's what girls like in men. But Song Jihyo is different from them. She doesn't have those high standards like others, but she is a very vocal person and a very picky one.

 

Calm down, Jongkook you can do this. he told himself.

 

On the other hand, Jihyo's team is wrapping up. Hyemin took a picture of Jihyo while sleeping and sent it to Somin. "Eunnie! Eunnie, we're going now. " Hongda said to Jihyo.

 

"Eh? Okay, let's go. " She looked around and saw her team was already done. "You're not coming with us, eunnie." Hongda told her that made her eyebrows rise. "What do you mean?" 

 

 "Someone will pick you up here later, and maybe he's on the way already. Just wait for him," She doesn't have any choices because Hongda already left her with her team. She's been clueless for ten minutes before it sinks in to her brain. 

 

Did they just leave me? Jihyo gasped in her thoughts and shook her head. 

 

"Hey, our Mong-Ji!" Jongkook suddenly appeared in front of her. She held her chest because of shock and immediately hit his arms.

 

"I'm still human, you know?" Jongkook sarcastically said while stopping her fist to hit him. "You shocked the heck out of me!" She said, and he just laughed at her.

 

"Let's go. It's already late and I know how badly you want to sleep." Jongkook said, and helped her to pick up the left-over things she had. She looked at him. Why was he here? She asked to herself. "Are you just going to stare at me, Miss Song?" And that made her rolled her eyes. 

 

They both enter his car after saying their goodbyes to the rest of the crew. Without any words, she fell asleep. He didn't say anything because he knew how hard it was to be an actress and just let her sleep the whole ride. 

 

He was about to wake her when they arrived at Somin's condo parking lot, but seeing how she was enjoying her nap time made him stop and just watch her.

 

Slowly, Jihyo opened her eyes. She looked around to see Jongkook with her in the car. "Oh, we're already here, Oppa, why didn't you wake me up?" She unplugged the seatbelt and jumped out of the car.

 

"I was about to, but seeing you sleeping earlier makes me feel bad if I wake you up any moment." He answered. 

 

They enter the elevator without Jihyo thinking that she's not going to her apartment tonight. When the elevator stopped, Jongkook held her hands. "What day is it, Jihyo-yah?"

 

"Today? It's sunday? Why?" She asked clueless.

 

He flicked his fingers on her forehead, "Pabo, it's your birthday!"

 

"Really? It's my birthday already?"  

 

"Yeah, don't you remember?" he asked again.

 

"I don't, I'm really busy these days." she said.

 

When they walked out of the elevator, it was the time when Jihyo realized that she was not in her apartment. "It's Somin." she said and turned to him. 

 

"That took you a long time to realize, didn't it?" He simply stated it and led her away. They entered Somin's condo's password and it opened with a burst of confetti and Somin holding a cake with her.

 

"Happy birthday to you~ happy birthday, happy birthday, happy birthday to you!" Everyone sang.

Jihyo laughed at everyone with their cringey surprise and blew the candle after. 

 

"Thank you, but you don't have to do this." She said and finally enter the house. 

 

"Its time to drink!!" Kwangsoo and Haha screamed. 

 

"Are you going to drink with us tonight, eonnie?" Somin asked her when she saw Jihyo laying on her sofa. 

 

"A little." she shortly said.

 

Everyone drunk themselves except for Jongkook and Jaesuk, who don't like to drink too much, and Jihyo, who limits herself to being drunk because she has a film shoot tomorrow.

 

When Jongkook thought that it was not too late, he went to Jihyo and told her to follow him. They both enter the kitchen, far away from the drunken people. 

 

"Why? Is there something bothering you, Oppa? " She asked him. She knows him well. 

 

He took a deep breath before answering her question. "Jihyo-yah, what are your plans now? I mean, do you have any plans in life now?" 

 

"What are my plans in life? Actually, I still don't know where I am going at the end of the day. I'm still figuring it out. " She truthfully answered. "I'm still stuck in this phase where I'm still clueless about everything after. Does it mean that maybe I can't stay here too long?" She asked, now overthinking about her future. 

 

Jongkook immediately looked at her worriedly. Sometimes, it's better not to ask her these kinds of questions. "Is life being hard on you?"

 

"No, it's definitely me being a problem here. But I don't want to think too much. I should enjoy everything I have for now before it's too late."

 

"Did I miss something?" He asked her once again. 

 

"You don't have to know everything about me, Oppa. " She chuckles. "Are you my boyfriend? Why should I update you all the time?" It's a joke for her, but for Jongkook, it hits him. 

 

Jihyo noticed how he kept his silence. "How about you, Oppa? How's your life?"

 

He put a smile on his face and said, "There's nothing important going on, aside from getting old and single."

 

"Eyy, I told you to date! Why don't you date? There are a lot of girls out there waiting and looking for you. " Jihyo said to him.

 

Jongkook let out a short laugh. "How ironic that the girl I want wants me to date anyone." He mumbled, but Jihyo still heard him. "What did you say, Oppa?" 

 

"Nothing Jihyo-yah, what about you?" He changed the topic. "What about me, oppa?" She asked backed.

 

"When do you plan to get married? Or is there anyone that you're dating right now?" Jihyo suddenly shut and went to the fridge to get some water. "Do you want?" she offered as she opened and poured the glass of water. "Don't change the topic, Jihyo," he said in serious.

 

"Come on, Oppa. You already know that marrying a man isn't on my list right now. She shrugged. "Are you dating?" he asked her again. "Why? Are you planning to date me? " She asked jokingly, but she didn't receive any words from the guy. "No ing way you'll ask me to date you, right?" 

 

"Why? Isn't it impossible for you? " He said.

 

"Don't you ever make jokes like that, Oppa." She warned him.

 

"Why? Don't you feel the same way about me?" He asked, slowly taking the risk.Jihyo was too stunned to speak. "I've liked you since then, Jihyo. I love the way you smile, laugh, and even love to sleep. And it always hurts me when I see you crying and I want to punch myself for letting you cry. " He admitted.

 

"Stop."

 

"Now I'm saying this to you because I'm taking the risk. What if you feel the same way? What if we both like each other? I want to ask you this before it's too late." He continued.

 

"Stop it, Oppa."

 

"I can't help myself to feel this way about you, Jihyo. If you're not yet ready for marriage, then I'll wait for you. I'm willing to do everything for you."

 

"Stop it. What if we don't work out? Then our friendship for decades will be gone and useless. No ing way. I cherish you, oppa. And I don't want to see you hurting because of me."

 

"Then I'll accept the pain, even if it's too much. You are worth it, Jihyo. I want you to be happy."

 

"Oppa.."

 

"Now I am asking you, can you be my girlriend?" 

 

 

Since that night, the two of them have rarely seen each other as they were used to doing. They just see when it's necessary and an important occasion. Jongkook realizes that it is not always the happy ending. He realized that no matter how much you want and wait for the person, if she doesn't feels the same way, it will be nothing. Her words teaches him that it is not always necessary to take risks, but rather to accept the truth. He never regretted what he said that night, but he's thankful because Jihyo still told him exactly what she wanted to say and made him realize a lot of things.

 

 

"If there's a next life, I'll probably like you. You're everyone's dream guy. You are so precious to me, and you deserve to feel loved in a pure and genuine way. I love you, my best friend." Jihyo said these to him and hugged him tightly after.

 

"I love you too, my greatest love and my best buddy as well." He said. 

 

Jongkook was relieved at the thought of losing a friend, but Jihyo still chose to stay. She may not be his girlfriend, but she's the best best friend she's ever had. He may wish for them to end up together, but what matters most to him is their happiness. 

 

 

I wish you were mine, but I don't want to lose a friend like you. I don't want to see you hurting just because of me, so it's better to be this way than broken.... He said to himself.