Final

Mask of Emotions

 

The prettiest smile hides the deepest secrets. The prettiest eyes have cried the most tears. And the kindest hearts have felt the most pain.

 

“Yunhee-ah, don’t be like this. It’s our Prom Night for Pete’s Sake!” Tiffany complained, looking at Yunhee with worrisome.

“What are you talking about? I’m alright!” she smiled brightly, looking up to her eonni who sighed and nodded as if she buys her smile.

“Fine. Just smile okay? And don’t forget to wear your mask; it’s a must since it’ll be a masquerade party.” Tiffany gently patted her head and fixes her gown.

“Neh. And you don’t need to fix my gown, fix yours” she giggled before getting on her feet, walking towards the hotel’s bathroom.

 

Yunhee looked at herself in the mirror. The used to be ‘nerd’ turned into a pretty lady with the help of Tiffany’s make-up skills and her new bought contacts.

She sighed before picking up the lavender colored mask and putting it on her face, carefully not to destroy her hairstyle. She looked at the mirror and put on her best smile.

Just for this night, I’ll smile.

Just for this night, I’ll pretend that nothing’s wrong.

Just for this night…this mask of mine will cover up those pained emotions, the hurt and sadness and will instead be replaced with a happy expression.

 

 

“Yunheeeeeee~” Victoria squealed as Yunhee reached by their table. Yunhee smiled and hugged her eonni before sitting beside her.

“So~ I’m glad that you look pretty and happy tonight dongsaeng-ah” she giggled.

“Neh, komawo~ you look pretty tonight too eonni” Yunhee answered, chuckling. Her eyes suddenly darted across the table in front of her: it was her Sekyung eonni, together with him…Kim Jonghyun.

“Still bitter about it huh?” Bora leaned towards her, wriggling her eyebrows together. Yunhee looked at her eonni before playfully rolling her eyes.

“I’m not, who cares if I am anyway?” she chuckled.

“Yeah, who would care about it anyway…” Tiffany sighed and shook her head.

 

I don’t have feelings of love for him…

I don’t even have hidden feelings for my eonni either…

I’m straight okay?

It’s just that…it looks like they are hiding something from us…

Would I still care?

 

It was then the lights went dim and some boys asked their girlfriends or crushes for a dance. Yunhee sat there, staring at her phone like there’s something interesting on it. She glanced up to see Sekyung refusing to dance with anyone so she and Jonghyun just sat there and did nothing. Her Victoria eonni was doing the same as her, staring at the phone blankly; Tiffany and Bora was just talking lightly, obvious that they were also bored. She sighed as she placed her phone inside her purse when a hand was outstretched to hers. She looked up and saw a guy wearing a light brown coat with a mask matching the color of his clothing, smiling at her.

“Yunhee-ah, can I have this dance?” he grinned in which she giggled at.

“Of course Dongwoo-ah” she smiled, taking his hand as they went to the dance floor, ignoring the teasing from Victoria, Bora and Tiffany.

 

“Yah, how’d you know it was me?” Yunhee asked, smiling.

“I should ask the same question to you” Dongwoo chuckled as they sway to the slow music.

“Uhm, because we told each other what we’ll be wearing today?” she laughed lightly.

“Yeah? Maybe that is?” he chuckled.

 

“So, the something’s still there huh?” he said, looking at her.

“Something?” Yunhee tilted her head to the side, trying to figure out what was Dongwoo talking about when that something came into her mind.

“Ah...” the only word that came from as she looked down and nodded.

“Don’t worry dongsaeng, I understand you. Sometimes I feel the same way too when my friends leaves me alone. But it’s okay, forever alone is cool anyway” Dongwoo said coolly, making Yunhee laugh.

“Well, thank you for dancing with me…someone’s gonna be jealous if he sees me dancing with you” he whispered the last part as they stopped and walked back to Yunhee’s table.

“What did you say?” Yunhee asked, her eyebrows furrowed.

“Nothing~ Thanks again!” he grinned before letting go of her hand and jogging off to his table.

 

“Ayiiiieeeeee~ Yunhee dongsaeng danced with Dongwoo~ KYAAAA!” Bora giggled as Yunhee half-heartedly glared at her eonni.

“Lalalalalala~” she suddenly sang and paid attention to the fork in the table.

Yunhee silently laughed before accidentally looking in front of her to see Sekyung inviting Jonghyun to dance as the latter nods silently and together they went to the dance floor.

Yunhee sighed heavily and stood up,

“Yunhee-ah? Where are you going?” Tiffany asked, looking at her through her mask with worried eyes.

“Just getting some fresh air” Yunhee simply answered, smiling and walked away before she could even ask more.

“Yunhee…” Tiffany mumbled, looking at her back.

 

Yunhee leaned on the terrace as she feels the cold air passing through her skin. She felt tears at her eyes but blinked them away.

 

Why must it hurt?

I thought we were friends? Why it feels like she’s hiding something from us…

I don’t now what to do right now, why it must end up like this?

 

A sob that escaped from her lips surprised her, was she actually crying all along?

“Park Yunhee-ssi?” a gentle voice made her jump a little. She immediately wiped her tears away and turned around to see a guy wearing a black tuxedo paired with a black mask.

“Neh?” she smiled at him, her voice shaking a little.

“Are you crying?” the guy asked, as he went towards her.

Yunhee shook her head and forced out a smile.

“Aniyo, I’m alright…” she said before walking away but a hand on her wrist prevented her from doing so.

“You’re not” he whispered as he spun her around and slowly took off her mask that conceals her real identity, her real emotions...slowly taking off the fake happiness and slowly showing the pain, the sadness and hurt. The emotions she hid through that mask were finally shown.

Tears started to fall down from her eyes as he wiped them away with his thumb.

“Don’t cry Yunhee…it hurts to see you cry like that” he whispers, his breath tickling Yunhee’s face.

“I hate to see you cry because you don’t want to care anymore. But it’s okay, I’m here. I’ll make the sadness go away…because I care for you” he whispers gently as he kisses her forehead.


Yunhee seemed to be surprise as she looked at him with confusion through her slightly puffy eyes. She reached up her hand to his mask and looked at his eyes.

“Can…can I?” she asked hesitantly. The guy smiled and nodded as she slowly took off his mask, revealing his identity.

Yunhee froze as she looked at those feline-like eyes reflecting hers. Kim Kibum...also known as...

“Key?” she blinked in surprise and confusion.

So it was him all along? The one who cared for her and knew her well even though they were just pure acquaintances?

“But…” Yunhee trailed off.

“How? Well I was observing you for a long time miss. I’m kinda glad that you don’t notice my stares back then…. But, I was more happy that you finally know that I’m gonna be here beside you” Key smiled.

Yunhee sniffled as she gently hugs him.

“Thank you Key” she smiled, sighing contentedly, thankful to the stars above them that she finally found that someone who would care and who could see through.

 “Yunhee-ah, Saranghae” Key whispered, looking at her eyes now filled with less pain, less sadness.

“Nado saranghaeyo Kibum-ah” she smiled as they share a chaste kiss under the stars.

 

Because when she’s with Key everything doesn’t seem to matter,

She don’t need to wear that mask of emotions,

For she knows, Key would care even if she can’t take to wear it anymore.