Forgetting Ice

Senior Year, Heavy Heart Weighs

It felt like nothing in life went his way.
🐧
He took a deep breath. ''I don't want to skate anymore.''
''We'll talk about this later.'' With a stern look from his mother he was sent back to his room.
πŸˆβ€β¬›
''No way, you're thinking of quitting?! Your parents will never let you do that. Neither will your coach. Everyone hangs out with us because you're an ice skater.''
''You're my best friend because I know how to skate?'
''I wasn't saying that! Anyhow, have you met the new kid?''
''What new kid?''
''Wait here, I'll introduce him to you!''
🐧
''Hi, I'm Jay.''
''How are you friends with everyone again?''
''I'm just big on socializing.''
''Jake told me us gyopos should stick together. Well, it's nice to meet you too, Sunghoon.''
''Nice to meet you.''
''Let's hang out sometime, the three of us!''
''I can't, I have plans.''
''It'll be a fun break from practice, I promise. Jay can drive us around.''
''He has a license?''
''Why don't you ask him yourself? Aw, are you blushing?''
''Stop yelling.''
''How about this weekend then?''
''Great, see you two there!''
πŸˆβ€β¬›
They kept waiting on the curb until Jay arrived.Β 
''Can you two stop chatting and get in?''
''Where's he taking us?''
''A restaurant. Don't be shy, you can talk to me. I thought it'd be nice to relax and eat together.''
🐧
''So Jay, why did you move?''
''My parents divorced. I'm basically living with my mom now.''
''I'm sorry to hear about that.''
''It's alright.''
''Are you sure? To me it looked like there was something more you wanted to say.''
''It's his personal life Sunghoon, not your concern.''
Within an hour, the two had touched on every talking point Sunghoon could think of. It only further proved two things:
1) Jake and Jay were compatible together.
2) Park Sunghoon was NOT a people person. And he was probably going to grow old with one person as his only friend. But that wasn't a bad thing for him, Jake was a true friend.
A kind of true friend that made sure the attention always shifted back to him.
''You skate? For real? That's so cool. I wish I could skate too.''
''I'm thinking of quitting it.''
''That's completely your choice!'' Jay gave him a thumbs up, and that was that.
''My choice...''
So he went home, took a shower and lay down.
It was a nice date.
Normally before sleeping he would spend hours picturing how his own life would look like someday, even if his version of a nicer future would never last. Today he skipped that part and went straight to bed.
This was how Jay entered Sunghoon’s life, with him Sunghoon thought he could finally end a bad luck streak and his concerns would disappear.
That's why he was going to skip practice tomorrow. It was time to build a new path for himself.
πŸˆβ€β¬›
''Sunghoon didn't come to school today. Is he sick or something? Maybe we should check on him.''
''Oh, he's fine. Don't worry about him, Jay.''
🐧
''What will you do after this year?''
''Postgraduation? Uhh, I haven't fully decided. I know I want to work as a designer, but I also don't want to waste two or more years at another school. At least not yet... How about you?''
''I don't know what I want to do. Skating was my whole life, and now... Even my mom doesn't know...''
''Shh, okay, Sunghoon. Let's go to the infirmary, you need to get some rest.''
''I can always decide later, right?''
''Of course.''
''Thank you, Jay.''
''I didn't do much. It's just that, you're too over-sentimental. Hey, don't cry on me now. People will misunderstand.''
πŸˆβ€β¬›
''Guess what!''
''What now, Jake? I don't feel like playing one of your word games.''
''You wouldn't get it right so I guess I'll spare you the effort. I was approached by an agency.''
''No way! Which one was it? What if it was a scam?''
''It's not.''
''How would you know?''
''Because we auditioned.''
''We?''
''Jay wanted to come with me, for support. After I was done they asked him to dance and I think they liked his moves.''
''So you're debuting?''
''I don't know. But if I pass this I might have a chance.''
🐧
''No, Jay.''
''Why not? You're talented even when you don't know which path to take. I've seen you skate; you'd be a great dancer. You've got a soothing voice and singing is easy, all you need is a vocal coach. Trust me.''
''You think becoming a celebrity is right for me? What if it turns out to be the worst decision of my life? What then?''
''Sunghoon you already are a celebrity. And if you decide you don't like being part of a group, we can always quit. Together.''
''How do you know we're going to be in the same group? Or in the same company?''
''Because we'll be training together, if the directors like you. I'm not going to debut without you.''
''What if we never debut?''
''We can find a way out. Open a shop together, or a business; it's your choice. We can do it together.''
''What about college? Would you go to college with me? Everyone says I need to go to college.''
''Sunghoon, what you need to do is make up your mind. Think about your ambitions tonight, find me tomorrow. Oh, and audition's at 8 tomorrow, don't forget that!''