MONEY TALKS

IRENE

p a r t : f i v e
MONEY TALKS

 


The next day, Irene went back to Seoul. In her hands was a handphone and in just one click away, she’d be connected to Johnny, the only person who could refer her to Lee Donghae. 


“I can’t!!” She yelled in stressed, she’s alone in apartment so nobody would be bothered.


Moment after, Irene decided to go out with a thought she could find a place that’s in a seek for a new worker. At that time, she hoped Joy was there with her but she knew she must be still sleeping. 


As she strolled down around a popular and well developed street that’s full of cafés, shopping stores, food stalls and many other interesting stuffs, her eyes landed on an acrylic board on a building that caught her attention the most. It said, Miss Wen’s Painting Class. She stood there to read the standing board that’s written some of the classes they offered and it triggered her even more to come inside. Not to be registered as a student but…


“I’m sorry, Miss, but currently we’re not looking for a new painting assistant” the woman whom Irene spoke to said it with an apology face.


“I understand, but I can work hourly if you consider it” 


“I’m so thankful for your interest in our class but it’s Miss Wendy herself who has the authority. Maybe you can send her your resume and some of your works for her to see”


A resume of her work experiences wouldn’t help much but some of her paintings surely did. Right at the moment, she just realized that she hadn’t seen her latest sketch book in a while. 


“Is there any problem?” A voice from another direction greeted them. The woman sounded and looked friendly.


As the receptionist addressed her as Miss Wendy, that’s when Irene knew that she was the owner of the place.


The latter, Wendy kindly talked to Irene. Irene tried to find a way to show her some samples of her works while trying to remember where she put her sketchbook. And bang! She remembered she had an account of online market place where she used to sell her paintings, which she almost forgotten. 


“Oh my God! So you’re the person behind the account of Baebae Modern Art Galery on Etsy ?" Wendy came to her surprise.


Irene was even more surprised that Wendy knew about her online shop. It warmed her heart that Wendy adored her works, made a purchase a few time and quite sad that Irene  stopped updating. 


“Well, painting in canvas needs undistracted mind and time, and I’m unable to do that in the past months” Irene said regretfully.


It’s a nice conversation but it didn’t change the fact that the classes was okay with the current staffs and painting assistants.


“Let’s say as a fan of your works, I have an offer for you, Joohyun-shi” Wendy brightly said. 


For a split second, every time she heard the word ‘offer’, she hated it that it reminded her of Lee Donghae. 


Turned out, Wendy invited Irene to come to her house for she and her friends would have a gathering. Because Wendy was an art enthusiast, she had to put art-related activity in that occasion. She planned to have a relaxing painting session on her back yard with her friends, therefore Irenw might can help. 


To that offer, of course Irene said yes. 


••• 


Irene was back at her apartment with a bag of food for her late lunch and dinner. She was beyond happy, it’s been always her dream to make a living based on her hobby and interest. But no matter how happy she was, she knew that at this time, it wouldn’t be able to cover the bills. So, her mind went back again to Lee Donghae. 


She had been thinking enough about it and it always came to a certainty that she didn’t want to let her mom to wait any longer to get a surgery. Here she was, to her final decision, she’s calling Johnny.


On the line, Johnny was surprised because he remembered well how Irene was completely against the idea of one night stand with Donghae. But well, people can change their mind and he didn’t want to involve that far on how she changed her mind.


The next thing that happened was pretty predictable, Johnny reported to Donghae right away. Donghae was frowning his eyebrows as thinking what’s gotten in Irene’s head that she changed her mind but anyway, he still welcomed her and asked her to meet him in person.


That’s exactly what Irene did when she’s tiptoeing to The Blue Moon. She didn’t want Joy to see her, she didn’t want her to have a heart attack if she found out the reason why she came to Donghae’s office. What she’s dealing now was tiring her soul enough, she just didn’t have energy left to fight arguments with Joy, because Irene knew that Joy would definitely against her decision. 

 

••• 


Looking at his door, it felt like she’s about to enter a gate to the hell. She’s nervous so much and hands are clearly shaking before she could even knock on his door. 


After one big shuddering exhale, she knocked it and came in. She saw him sitting on his working desk, looked busy and cold-staring at her. That night, she didn’t wore makeup nor fancy dress but he knew she had the same spark. 


“Surprise surprise… Look who’s coming?”  Donghae’s voice filled the room while his eyes followed as Irene’s reluctantly walking in. 


Irene bite back all of her pride, tried as her might not to run away from the room that’s now felt dark and intimidating. “Good evening Chairman Lee. I’m sure you know the reason why I come here” she was stuttering as she spoke, swallowing her embarrassment away because nobody asked her to crawl back into his room but it’s her own decision. 


“I know” he said, his deep and raspy voice sounded devilishly. “But I want to hear it from your own mouth, Irene-shi…” he said again, stood up and slowly walked to slightly sit on the edge of the table, making the distance between them became closer. 


Irene swallowed hard. She dared herself to have a glance at Donghae and saw his demanding face. “Uhm.. I was thinking hard before I decided to come to you just so you know that it’s not my first intention but I have no option” she said while continuously scratching her nails.


“Are you going to waste my time? Talk to the point, Irene-shi” Donghae smirked and cut her off.


Irene mentality swore, every words was just hard to say. Coming here was self-humiliating enough and now she had to be humiliated even more. 


“Well… I want to know if your offer is still available” she found the courage to say.


“Offer? What offer? Remind me” Donghae challenged. His both hands were in pockets, chin was high up while scanning her from head to toe. Her rejection was still hurting his pride so now he’s kind of having a good time teasing her. 

 

Irene was silent for a while, her eyes shifted from him to down on her shoes. Her voice became lower and weaker.


“You said if I could spend a night with you, you will grant everything I want” she said, left a big heavy sigh at the end. Never in million years she thought she would say that to a man. 


Donghae smirked again and that killed Irene inside. But what he said afterwards would kill her more. “I don’t like to pick someone who rejected me, Irene-shi” he said as taking off his round glasses to purposely paid attention to Irene and it just made her even more uncomfortable. 


“Like I said, it’s not my first intention. If it’s no longer available then I’m leaving. Thank you for your time, Chairman Lee” Irene had reached her limit and about to call it a day. She’s already turned around and about to leave that place immediately.


“Wait!” Donghae stopped her, raised from the table and stood up straight with arms linked on his chest. “This is purely insulting me, Irene-shi” he groaned and he could see Irene was lost in his words like she didn’t get what kind of insult she’d just committed to him.


“I’m sorry, Chairman Lee, I don’t understand” she asked.


“You came to my place in the midst of my working hours, asking about my offer that you plainly rejected days ago. When I haven’t finished talking about it, you cut it off and leave. Irene-shi, just because I wanted you, you think you can disrespect me as you like?”


“I swear that’s not my intention…” 


“Let’s say my offer is still available. What do you want in exchange?” He asked and smirked again. He looked exactly like he just won a lottery.


Irene closed her eyes because that question alone felt hurt to her heart. She’s never been feeling this bad before. She felt like begging for some money as the exchange of her body. 


Donghae’s observing her all the time and he caught her tensed up while squeezing her own fingers. It took more time for Irene to say the amount of money she wanted. Not that she didn’t know how much but she knew she couldn’t go back once she mentioned the numbers.


Bullets of sweat started dripping off on Irene’s forehead when she heard his footsteps came closer to cut their distance.


“You’re nervous, aren’t you?” His almost-whispering voice brushed her face, the same scent of him that she remembered swaying on her nose. 


Irene’s slowly looking up and met his gaze. This was the first time she stared at him long and was almost distracted by the look of his beautiful brown eyes. At least she didn’t forget to respond to his question by nodding slightly.


“Don’t be, just say what you want” he said, somehow sounded so soft and sweet compared to earlier. 


“‘M-money…” she finally said.


Donghe then turned around, back to his working desk. He took a blank bank check from his drawer, put it on the envelope and dragged it with his fingers to the edge of the table. “Write any number that you want, Irene-shi” he said, suggesting her to come and take the envelope.


Irene ,whose mind messed up already, just wanted to end the conversation and leave. She moved her stiffened legs and came toward the table to pick the envelope. When her wet hands touched it, he said “Talk to me when you’re ready, anytime. Now you may leave” 


She took the envelope and thought that their pre-agreement was done. She’s wrong, he had one more thing to say. 


“I thought you were different, Irene-shi. I was actually impressed when you rejected my offer, but I guess you’re just like another girls” turned out Donghae wasn’t satisfied enough teasing her and getting on her nerve.


Irene clenched her jaws and cleared as if she’s ready to give that irritating human being some kind of raving. “To you, I’m anything that you thought in your head and I don’t really care about it. Because the truth is, you don’t know me, Chairman Lee, and I don’t feel the need to explain to you who I really am”. Their eyes met again but this time her gaze was more pronounced than before. 


“I see. You’re a tough girl with a little fickle heart” Donghae threw another statement that triggered her.

“Just because I’m asking for your offer and agreed, doesn’t mean you can disdain me as you like. To you, it’s a mutualism interest, right? Might as well respect me the way I respect you” she said again and then  finally left his office. 


“Interesting…” he whispered under his breath as watching her disappeared. Donghae had a hard time to understand her character, she looked fragile but tough at the same time. So, interesting, it is. 


Once she’s gone, he couldn’t help but smirked because it’s funny that he didn’t have to do anything but she herself voluntarily came to him.


“I got you, Irene. You can’t run from me now…”


•••