the times

Maintaining Distance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoon Sora

The times are unpredictable.

Sometimes they will present opportunities, sometimes they take things away. That was all part of life though, wasn’t it? Taking and getting stolen from. Happiness and hardship. It was something that Sora’s dad used to emphasize every day to his children.

And Sora learnt this through first-hand experience. Like when Sora’s dad was offered a higher position at work. That opportunity alone opened so many doors for the girl: a chance for the family to earn more income so she wouldn’t have to work at her coffee job anymore and a chance to go to her dream university. The times presented a new life for all of them.

But then it would take everything back. Similar to a cruel April Fool’s joke; the times stripped her of everything. At first it began with Sora catching her boyfriend cheating on her. And then it sunk deeper when her father got fired. And everything finally went six feet under at her college graduation; when her parents got into an accident. And when they gave their last breath, they left behind so little money for Sora and her younger brother. Everything was wiped away. And the happiness she felt when her family was given opportunities? It felt like the taste of a dream but the cost of getting the taste was much worse than living it for a brief while.

An optimistic part of Sora wanted to believe that everything was okay since she still had her nine year old brother. The reality of everything was that optimism wouldn’t allow survival. What she wanted to pursue as a career wouldn’t be enough money for her to support the growing bills to support both her and her brother. She needed to find a new job that would support both of them. It was either double up on jobs or find a new one. And once again, the times presented another opportunity in front of her. In the form of a worker at ABS news finding a liking to her appearance and offering her an open position.

And that’s what led her to where she was today, a reporter for celebrity news at ABS. It’s been a year since she became a reporter and she’s come a long way since her first report.

“Sora!” The script writer called out to her, causing the female to look at the latter in question.

“We have a big story for you! It’s a huge controversy!”

Another one of those stupid stories. Sora wasn’t proud of her job, nor was she very happy with it. As much as the news stations preached that their sources weren’t biased, it was a lie. Whatever caught the attention of viewers is all that really mattered, but who was she to say anything? She was in it for the money and the money was enough for Sora to spoil her younger brother every other paycheck.

“Sora! You’re on in two!”

“Just read the text screen okay? We don’t have time for you to memorize it. Good luck!”

With that, the scriptwriter pushed Sora to her spot, allowing the makeup artists to work their magic before it was her time to present the news. Her eyes glazed over the set of hectic people until she caught sight of the scriptwriter standing next the screen that fed her lines, offering the reporter a thumbs up before talking to the typer next to him.

“Ready?” The makeup artists did their last touch ups, running one last brush through Sora’s brown locks before scrambling off the set.
 

“3!” She took one deep breath.

“2!” She released her breath, her eyelids dropping for a brief second.

“1!” Her eyelids fluttered open, her pupils scanning the text that was right next to the camera, a smile playing on her pink lips. 

“Just in on important celebrity news: Member of EXO and celebrity star under SM

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter