A piece of Media

No handle bars

   Malty found herself standing in the library in Naofumi's deminsion. The bright electric lights of the library took some getting used to at first. She could barely make out the shelf that stood no more then three feet in front of her. She wasn't in a hurry anymore and therefore didn't mind waiting for her eyes and ears to fully adjust to their new environment before attempting to pick herself up off the floor. Malty was very sure that nobody from the kingdom of Melromarc would be coming through the book to chase after her anytime soon. It would be awhile before the big welcoming party died down enough for people to notice that she had gone missing and, even when they did, there was a very slim chance of them guessing that she had fazed into another dimension. 
   When her eyes had finally adjusted to the light, she saw the book lying on the floor by her feet. She had planned to get rid of it by burning it, however, due to the fact that her weapon had no effect in this world, this would prove to be very hard. Outside the window, she could see that it was dark outside. Seeing this she assumed that this would be the perfect time to go out in search of a lit bonfire or torch for the locals must have had them on at this time of night. Malty knew about the use of electric lights but had only known them in the kingdom of Melromarc to be owned by nobles such as herself. Surely the peasents here had a lit bonfire somewhere. With this in mind, she left the library in search of a bonfire.                                                                                                                             
     Once she was outside the library she was able to see that electric lamps seemed to be more popular in Naofumi's world then she had thought. In fact all the lights that lit the street were electric which was a shame. Feeling hopeless, Malty stood in the middle of the sidewalk in front of a library in an unfamiliar country and dimension where she didn't speak the language, hoping to find a lit bonfire in a city lit entirely by electric lamps. However, she was not going to give up on finding a fire. "Surely, they still COOK with fire", she said to herself as she walked towards a street side food vender selling grilled octopus. The street side vender greeted her as he would any other costumer because a strange cosplayer with a sword and a book was not the weirdest thing he'd seen all night. Malty pointed to a glowing orange piece of charcoal in the grill and did her best to gesture that she wanted it. To her luck, he gave it to her in three stacked paper cups without any hesitation and seemed to ask for nothing in return other then for her to go away which she gladly did all the while trying not to get burned by her treasure.                                                                                                                                    
   In an empty and unlit alley, she sat the flaming cups down and added to the fire using paper based garbage from the nearby dumpsters. When she had built up a pretty decent bonfire, she decided that it was now time to add the book. As she attempted to place the book in the fire, something in the corner of the alley caught her eye. In the corner lied two loose bricks. This reminded her of what she had also planned to do once the book was burned.       
   You see, destroying the magical book would do no harm to the kingdom of Melromarc or anyone in it. There where many other portholes into Melromarc other than the book. Destroying the book was like closing off an entry that provided a certain set of circumstances for the person using it. If Naofumi was to find another porthole into Melromarc after the book was destroyed, he would be in whole other story in a whole other setting but still in Melromarc. When Malty destroys the book Naofumi would spawn right there in the alley with her and not recognize her at all because she had destroyed the story involving them knowing each other. This would give her an opportunity to kill him which was the other thing she had planned to do besides simply burning the book. Although her original plan was to empale him with her sword, something seemed so right about smashing his head between two bricks instead. Following her intuition, she set the book down by the fire and picked up the bricks.                          
   She set them down a little ways away from the fire for she was not sure as to where Naofumi would spawn near the fire when he did. Hoping for the best, she tossed the book into the fire and backed away to quickly grab the bricks. Careful as to not turn her back on the fire, she walked a few steps backwards in the direction of the bricks until she felt her heel hit one. As she squatted down to grab the bricks a black silluette blocked the light of the fire. It was Naofumi. She could see that he was squinting in her general direction but she wasn't quite sure if he was looking at her exactly or something behind her.                                                            
   Without saying anything to her, he turned towards the street and stumbled out of the alley speaking his own language to himself which she couldn't understand. She had had the perfect opportunity right then and there to have crushed his head like she had planned but she felt frozen. Instead she just squatted there slack jawed and let him get away and she didn't know why. Meanwhile, the glow of the fire she had lit was now becoming dim. Malty checked to see if the book had been fully burnt to ash. It was. Her job was done.                                                                                                                                                                                                      
    She took one last look at the world before opening another porthole for herself and crossing through. She was a piece of Medea, she'll return to Medea for the time being.                     

                                        All's well that ends well.