Another Lifetime

Another Lifetime

 

Another Lifetime




After a few years, she finally had the chance to step foot again on that place. The last time she was there was one of the most painful memory she has.

It had been seven long years already. And for those years that passed, she tried to not remember anything about that place. It was the part of her life that she wanted to permanently erase. 

But there she is right now, standing on the very same spot where she experienced her scariest nigthmare. A nightmare that taunted her every night.

“it seemed like nothing has changed.” She whispered to herself as she looked around. The whole park was still the same from seven years. The playground, and the wooden bench under the shade of the still magnificent looking cherry blossoms tree.

That bench.

That was one part of her memories of him.


Taking a few light steps, she walked over the bench and carefully sat on it. Nothing has changed either. Except it looked older now. The park caretakers didn’t even changed the paint color. It only refreshened the vivid memories of the past to her.

”You see that playground? That’s where our little angles will play soon.” His voice was crystal clear to her ears, like the memory is just playing right in front of her like some old movie. She can still picture the past, the two of them sitting close to each other on that bench as they peacefully watch the kids on the playground.

It was like everything just happened yesterday, not seven years ago.

A small smile crossed her lips as she remembered those times. Every afternoon after their classes, they would meet each other there just to talk about almost everything. That place was their sanctuary.

“When we grow older, I want to spend our remaining time here in this world the way we are doing right now. Just beside each other, doing nothing.” Her smile faded when those words echoed in her head. That time, she thought that what he said was an easy thing to consider. They had every confidence they need then.

”Forever and always?” Her old self asked him, hope and happiness clouding her eyes.


“Forever and always.” His kisses engraved that sweet sensation on her lips. A feeling that she’ll only feel because of him.


Forever and always.

Those words can onoly make her smile now. How naive was she then to believe that those words were even possible.

“Nothing is working anymore between the two of us. You’re too busy minding yourself to even think of me. You seemed to forget that you have a girlfriend Lee Donghae.” 

Her words replayed in her mind. His expressionless face, engraved in her mind until now. The picture was too clear. Donghae, silently standing a few meters away from her, his eyes avoiding hers.

“Let’s break up.” She didn’t mean it that time. But he took it seriously. Without any complaints, he agreed on her suggestion.

“If that’s what can make you happy, then its fine with me Eunmee. You know how much I love you that I don’t want to keep you by my side if you aren’t happy with me anymore.” His last words came out as a whisper. He gave her his last kiss and walked away without looking back.

“Aish.” She angrily muttered as she quickly wiped away the tears that she’s even unaware of.

That memory can still give her the undying pain she felt then. It can still trigger her tears and make her heart ache once again.

“Welcome back.” Her body stiffened when she heard that voice. The very same voice she heard before her heart was crashed and left there.

Taking on all her courage, she turned around to meet him.

“It’s been seven years Eunmee.” He said, his eyes smiling at her. he was still the same as he was seven years ago. Only he became more mature.

“How are you?” she was surprised she managed to ask him that. Even him looked surprised. 

“I never thought that I’d be seeing you here. Now.” He smiled warmly, slowly walking towards her and the bench where they used to share then everytime.

A moment of silence passed by them, only the laughter of the children playing can be heard.’

“Ever since you left, I visit this place everyday. Hoping that I would see you. I did that for four years Eunmee. But not even a single day, I caught sight of you here. I already lost hope so I thought, what am I still doing, waiting for you everyday here when you already seemed to forget about me.” With his words, she can picture him waiting for her there. 

She knew he would do that then but she chose to ignore her instincts. She was badly hurt then.

“You know I loved you then. More than anything else Lee Donghae. Until now, I believe that I still do.” She just have to tell him what she really feels. He doesn’t even look he’s surprised.

“Would you believe me if I say that I feel the same?” he asked back, his eyes filled with deep emotions. 

“But I guess this isn’t the right lifetime for us. Love and destiny doesn’t seem to be on the same side with us. Both contradicts each other.” She fixed her gaze on the playground, Donghae doing the same. She doesn’t want to give him the awkward feeling. This will be her last chance of telling him her real feelings, and after this, she’ll have to live her life without him bugging her everyday.

“Maybe in another lifetime, love will stick stronger than it did to us right now.” She just faintly smiled when she heard him add those words.

“Mommy!”

“Daddy!”

Two kids both ran towards their direction. The little girl, heading to Donghae, and her son, running towards him. A smile creeped on her lips when she saw a lady following the little girl, and also walked towards Donghae gracefully.

“Hey there sweetheart.” Her son, Leo, gave her a peck on the cheek as soon as he was wrapped around her arms. And on her side, she can hear Donghae sweetly talk to his little girl and to his wife. When she saw her walking towards their way, she already knew who she is to Donghae’s life.

“Eunseo-ah, she’s Cho Eunmee. A very good friend of mine.” She warmly smiled at Eunseo when Donghae introduced her. A friend, that’s what they are now. And nothing more than it anymore.

“It’s nice to meet you Eunseo-ssi. But me and my son has to go now. Or else we’ll be late for our flight.” She politely said, getting up while Leo was just quietly watching from her side.

“Are you staying there for good?” He probably knows that she just went home to finally let go of him. Of her feelings she has for him.

“Neh.” She nodded, smiling again. “Goodbye Donghae-ah.” She gave a polite bow before walking away with her son. 

A contented smile crossed her face.

She felt her chest lighten up now that she had finally let go of him.

Maybe in another lifetime, she can hope for Lee Donghae again.