I lose my breath

I want to marry you (right here, right now)

“Jonghyun, do you want to marry me?”

How had Taemin's life come to this?

No, he knew exactly how it had happened. Actually— who made it happen.

Taemin gulped, preparing himself to speak without quivering.

“About that–”

 

 

Honestly, Taemin could trace it back to three weeks ago– hell, he could trace it back to the time he became best friends with Kim Jonghyun in sixth grade, when Taemin was an outsider in the expensive school his middle class parents had worked hard to get him admitted into, and Jonghyun lonely and outcasted after his parents' divorce– their shared disdain for others bringing them closer, and making them vow to remain friends forever. But with Kim Jonghyun came drama. Sometimes, owing to him belonging to a rich family that happened to be the owners of one of the biggest entertainment agencies in the country, and sometimes it was just Jonghyun himself. He was the most dramatic person Taemin had ever seen, to the point even Taemin’s own whining tendencies felt pale in comparison.

 

But Taemin also loved Jonghyun to the ends of the earth, which is why he had sat in the cafe patiently, listening to Jonhyun rant about yet another blind date his father wanted him to go to.

 

“So which girl is it this time?”

“No, get this– it’s a guy.”

Taemin choked on his sip of coffee, “What? Your father is finally accepting your biuality?”

“Of course he is,” Jonghyun snorted, “Now that he can exploit it– since the date is a super rich CEO who happens to be gay.”

Taemin raised an eyebrow. It was South Korea, and it was the norm for powerful families to set up their offspring on blind dates– precursor for an arranged marriage, usually to other eligible powerful individuals. But these were, for obvious reasons– heteroual.

“An openly gay CEO?”

Jonghyun shrugged, “Apparently he’s been in the States for like years now, and he has never hid it there, so his grandfather– the one who contacted my Dad, didn’t see the point in pretending otherwise back home.”

Taemin leaned forward with interest, “Who is this guy? And I have to ask, what’s the point– it’s not like we can marry here.”

He was a er for gossip. Jonghyun always did call him too nosy for his own good.

“Not a legal marriage, yes, but it would still result in a merger and an established relationship between the companies–” Jonghyun sighed, “–And also, I don’t know. Dad wouldn’t tell me, probably because he knows I would refuse, which is funny, because he isn’t really giving me a choice this time anyway.”

Taemin pouted. It would have been nice to know who was representing their community up there in the high end business world. Except for Jonghyun that is– Jonghyun didn’t count.

“I think you should go on the date. Maybe it’ll work out, and if it doesn’t– well you’ll get a friend in a similar situation out of it.”

“And let my Dad win? Hell no.”

 

Taemin hummed indifferently, directing his attention back to the food. It had been a long day at work, and besides, he was too used to these conversations– Jonghyun would figure something out eventually.

 

“Oh my god Taemin, why don’t you go in my place?”

 

That was fast.

 

Taemin’s head snapped up, “No ing way Jjong. Not again.”

“Why not?” Jonghyun pleaded, his big brown eyes already working overtime, “It’s not like you haven’t pretended to be me on dates before. The last time you scared off that girl so well!”

“I didn’t have to try!” Taemin reiterated, “She felt uncomfortable about how I looked prettier than her! How is that supposed to work on a man?”

“Please Taemin,” Jonghyun’s puppy eyes had to be a tangible force of nature, “Let me off the hook this time, do that Kubrick stare thingy you do and refuse him. These people have such humongous egos, he sure won’t pursue Kim Jonghyun ever again. Besides, going on a date would distract you from your crush on Jinki problem.”

“No, don't even bring up Jinki–” Taemin whined, “–I can’t pretend to be you again– I have so much work, we are being forced to finish this project quickly because our new CEO wants updates– funny, that guy also recently returned from the USA…”

“Everyone studies in the States. It was only me who hated it,” Jonghyun said dismissively, “C’mon Taeminnie– it’s just one date. I’ll buy you that red Versace shirt you were eyeing the last time we went shopping.”

 

Taemin gasped. Jonghyun knew luxury fashion pieces were his weakness. He literally worked in the industry for Christ's sake– even though it was just for a departmental store company and not a high fashion brand, he was still proud of the work he did, because everyone deserves good clothes.

 

“And that Saint Laurent striped turtleneck,” Jonghyun added, “I know you like that one too.”

Taemin’s mind floundered. Two pieces of expensive clothing for going on a dinner to a fancy restaurant and acting weird so a rich snobby guy wouldn't go after Jonghyun. It couldn’t be that bad right?

And he wouldn't even have to completely fake the weird act either.

 

“Okay,” Taemin conceded, “Fine. But you are paying for the wig I’m going to dress up with. Something that actually looks natural– so it will be expensive.”

Jonghyun grinned, happily clapping his hands together, “Deal.”

Taemin grumbled and rolled his eyes, but he couldn’t help the fond smile that took over his face. Jonghyun’s happiness meant everything to him.

 

 

 

But Taemin had not been kidding about work. He was to draft up a proposal for a new project that his team had come up with— and it wasn’t easy, not when he had Jongin breathing down his neck.

 

“You know, I’d have a much easier time trying to get my head straight if you didn’t peek at my document every two seconds.”

“Sorry,” Jongin smiled sheepishly, “It’s just that if our proposal gets selected we might be able to present it to the CEO himself in person, and I’m just so curious about how he looks.”

“He’s very good looking,” Minhyuk piped in, “I heard it in the cafeteria. Apparently Kihyun has seen him in person. Very suave and no nonsense.”

“Pretty sure Kihyun is lying to you,” Ten scoffed, “He just took the position like ten days ago and he’s been holed up in his office the whole time— how could anybody have seen him in person.”

“Yah, is that how you talk to your elders?”

“Guys,” Taemin sighed, wishing their market research team actually had a leader, instead of Taemin acting as a de facto, unpaid one, “If you really want our proposal to get selected then we actually have to work on it—gossiping isn’t going to do us any good.”

“Yeah yeah I do want it to get selected,” Minhyuk muttered, “Team two is almost done with their work and I don’t want to lose to them.”

“That’s only because Kihyun is in that one, and you express your crush on him by competing with him,” Ten commented.

“Excuse me—”

Taemin sighed once again, staring back at his computer screen. Jongin offered him a sympathetic smile.

 

Proposal for Helium Enterprises Autumn Winter (AW) Collection 2023: Luxury fashion for all. Working with acclaimed fashion designers on a collaborative project to produce affordable clothing for the masses.

 

The more Taemin looked at it the more insane he felt— no one would agree to it. Hiring renowned fashion designers would not be cheap, and persuading them for something like this would be even harder.

But he had to try. Taemin would have never had the luxury of wearing good clothing if Jonghyun wasn’t buying so many of them for him— and he wanted others to feel that joy, and the self confidence that one got from donning a good outfit.

Jonghyun. Which reminded him. The date was tonight.

He glanced at his watch— it was almost time to clock out of work, and he needed the time to do his makeup, and also to ease the knot of nervousness in his stomach.

 

“Minhyuk, I’m leaving for today, can you prepare the survey report in an infographic style by tomorrow? I’ll attach it to the proposal.”

“Of course,” Minhyuk replied, puzzled, “You’re leaving early?”

“You never leave early,” Ten supported with his ever prying nature, “Got a date tonight?”

“Eh,” Taemin evaded, “Just meeting up with Jonghyun.”

Collective sighs. Taemin wondered if he really seemed that lonely.

“You’re wasting that pretty face of yours. I know you like that Jinki dude that drops by sometimes. I just know it.” Ten commented crossly.

“Instead of calling us Marketing Research Team One they should just rename it Queer and Single,” Minhyuk said sadly.

“Actually–” Jongin started with a shy smile.

 

Taemin took that as the perfect opportunity to leave the room, all the attention directed towards Jongin now. He shook his head at Minhyuk and Ten crowding around Jongin’s little cubicle— Jongin already flustered at having to narrate what Taemin assumed was a date story. All of them were hard workers and good friends, and he wouldn’t exchange them for the world– no matter how nosy they were. And who was Taemin kidding– it was not like he didn’t love some gossip either.

 

Jjongie <3:

The dude just texted me– apparently my Dad gave his grandfather my number for faster contact. He’s going to be a little late so that makes it 8 p.m. at Shilla Hotel.

 

Of course it would be in the most expensive hotel in Seoul.

Taemin scoffed, pocketing his phone again. It was almost showtime.

 

 

 

He was late. The man he was supposed to be on a date with, was late. Even the reservation was done under Jonghyun's name, and Taemin wondered if he'd get stood up on a date he was supposed to refuse anyway. Somehow, that hurt his ego a bit.

He anxiously tapped the table in impatience– he felt odd in this environment, surrounded by either foreigners or rich koreans, while he sat there in his pretty blonde wig, blue satin shirt ed just enough to show off a sliver of his chest, and heavy, sultry makeup.

Taemin looked y in it, and different from his usual day to day self. He had good practice in doing this transformation– after all, he didn’t exactly go inside a club in Itaewon wearing his standard attire of oversized sweater and jeans.

He just hoped all this work in trying to look unrecognisable didn't go to waste.

 

“Kim Jonghyun-ssi?”

 

Finally.

 

Taemin turned around, smiling to meet the source of the voice—

 

And faced the most beautiful man he had ever seen.

 

Chiselled jaw, neatly parted hair, stylishly arranged, perfectly groomed eyebrows– with a peculiar scar in one of them, sharp eyes, lips curved in a perfect bow shape, and dressed in a surprisingly fashion forward butter yellow shirt and sleek dark grey slacks.

 

In a word, he was elegant.

 

Taemin felt dumbfounded. He had expected a spoilt, stuck-up manchild– not the magazine editorial model that was standing in front of him.

 

“Kim Kibum,” he held out a hand politely, “From Face Group of Companies. CEO of Helium Enterprises.”

 

What.

 

“What?” Taemin said out loud, only decibels away from sounding like a gasp.

 

A puzzled expression– like a slight ripple on the polished surface that was Kim Kibum's face.

“What as in, you are not Kim Jonghyun, or what as in you don't know what Helium Enterprises is?”

 

What as in what the this is Taemin’s boss.

 

“No,” Taemin managed to blurt out, “I am Kim Jonghyun. Please sit.”

Kibum took a seat, eyes lingering a tad second longer on Taemin’s chest now that they were at the same level.

 

Good. Taemin had deliberated on which role to play for this date, and had realised being provocative would be the way to go– this blind date was set up for the purpose of finding a life partner, and not a one night stand and unfortunately, most men did not appreciate being too forward– gay or not.

 

Taemin flirtatiously brushed a hand through his hair, leaning forward so his loose shirt could slip a little on his shoulder. The faster he could get this over with, the less Kibum would see his face.

 

“So, Kibum-ssi—”

Kibum hummed distractedly, eyes on his phone. Working, probably. Taemin had heard from his superiors that their new CEO had a notorious work ethic.

“You’re not even paying me attention,” Taemin whined, putting on his best clingy act.

“I– Uh sorry,” Kibum apologised quickly, setting his phone down, “To be completely honest, my grandfather is setting me up on these dates, as I’m sure your family is doing as well– let's just keep the formalities aside, shall we?”

Straight to the point. Wow, was he even looking at Taemin?

“Formalities? Oh don't tell me– you booked a room here? You sure are forward.”

“I'm sorry? I just meant we could do away with the intro—” A blush coated Kibum's cheeks– breaking his perfect professional facade just a little.

 

Cute.

 

Taemin shook himself out of it.

“—I must tell you, I hookup quite a lot,” Taemin whispered seductively, “and Richard does like it when men know what they want.”

“Richard?”

Taemin smiled, titillatingly looking down towards his crotch.

Kibum spluttered on his glass of water, “Did you just name your –”

 

He looked appropriately put off– Taemin just needed to drive the act home.

“—So of course,” Taemin batted his eyelashes, “I don't like waiting. If you have a room, I wouldn't mind going.”

 

A beat passed in silence. Taemin gleefully waited for Kibum to walk out.

 

“Sure,” Kibum replied smoothly after a minute, “I don't like wasting time either.”

Taemin's thoughts scrambled in panic– was Kibum calling his bluff?

A hint of a smirk played on Kibum's lips as he stood up and held his hand towards Taemin to take, raising an eyebrow in challenge, and waiting for him to react.

“Uh–” Taemin hesitated, hoping the shock was not obvious on his face, “Okay.”

 

 

Maybe he could call Jonghyun to bail him out? Maybe he could run away while they waited? It would be embarrassing, sure, but it would also effectively end the date, and hopefully other future dates.

 

“The suite please,” Kibum requested at the reception, sliding over his black credit card.

His handsomeness was almost distracting. Almost. In any other situation he would have even gone ahead with a hookup.

But this was his boss. What if he found out Taemin worked in his own company. Taemin shuddered.

 

“—I don't understand how men can dress like this, it's so weird.”

—Spoken in perfect English by the Korean man beside them. Taemin shrinked next to Kibum– Taemin did at least understand the language even if he couldn't speak it, and no matter how many of these comments he heard, it was still hurtful every time.

 

Kibum stiffened, turning to look at the man sharply. If Taemin stayed at an expensive hotel, he would assume that everyone around him would be rich enough to know English– but he also knew from personal experience that ego could make people forget basic common sense.

“Have you heard of that saying,” Kibum retorted in English, looking at Taemin while he said it, “If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all?”

Taemin shot Kibum a small, thankful smile while the man let out a surprised cough, having the good sense to walk away with his room key before Kibum could address him directly.

 

“Are you okay?”

There was genuine concern in his eyes, despite the mask of neutralness that seemed to be Kibum's default expression.

Taemin gulped and nodded, quickly stepping away from where he had unconsciously moved closer to Kibum.

 

“Well Jonghyun-ssi, what do you say?” Kibum held up the room key card, "Should we go ahead?"

Kibum was teasing, Taemin knew it, but he could only weakly laugh at the trap he had set up for himself.

 

Ring.

 

Taemin jumped at his phone ringing all of a sudden, and he quickly took it out of his pocket, not caring about decorum or manners. It was Jinki, he noted with relief, who had just unwittingly become Taemin’s saviour.

Taemin almost shoved his phone in Kibum's face.

“I'm sorry, my other hookup just called. Gotta go. I'm sure you would be nice in bed, but he's like great! See you!”

“Wait—”

Taemin his heel, not daring to look back as he sped out of the place, accepting Jinki's call as he did so.

“Taeminnie, how are you? Want to come over to the restaurant? I experimented on a new dessert.”

“Yes,” Taemin almost sobbed in relief, “Yes please.”

 

 

“So? How did the date go?”

Kibum groaned, dropping his head onto the back rest of the car.

Minho laughed, “That bad?”

“Yah, as my secretary shouldn’t you at least act more sympathetic?”

“I also happen to be the only friend you have here, so I also have the right to laugh at you.” Minho turned the steering wheel, thankfully taking the route back home, “How was the guy?”

“He was,” Kibum knitted his eyebrows, “Interesting.”

 

Richard. Kibum chuckled to himself at the memory. It was a good thing Jonghyun was an extraordinarily good looking person– no one else could have pulled that off.

 

“Well you have at least twenty more dates to go to– maybe you’ll find someone.”

Kibum groaned again, “This is such a monumental waste of time. I don’t even want to find anyone, and it’s also distracting me from my work.”

“Well your grandfather was very firm on this matter. Allowing you to do whatever you want with the subsidiary company as long as you go on these dates.”

Kibum sighed, “Why did we ever come back from the States, Minho?”

“I don’t know,” Minho teased, “You were the one with all the vision and dreams for the company.”

 

Right. Kibum looked out of the window, watching the lights float by. He had so much work to do. At least there were the marketing presentations to look forward to next week, which he was not even sure if he would be able to attend because of these damned dates.

Jonghyun didn’t look like he was too enthusiastic about going on dates either. That at least made two of them.

 

Wait.

 

“Minho, what if I just agreed on dating Jonghyun with marriage in mind– I wouldn’t have to go on those other dates right?”

“I mean, yeah sure–” Minho shrugged, “ —But why would you do that? The evening didn’t even go well for you?”

“It went splendid in fact,” Kibum grinned, “Great even.”

Minho sighed.

 

 

“This is so good,” Taemin scooped up the candied apricot, feeling much better after making a short detour to his apartment to change before coming over to Jinki’s restaurant.

“I’m glad,” Jinki grinned, and Taemin could even lie to see that smile again and again, but thankfully he never needed to– not when it came to his cooking.

“It shouldn’t be so surprising that it turned out well, not after all these years.”

“That’s only because I’ve had the best taster too,” Jinki slid next to his seat to bump shoulders, “Which is you, if you didn’t know.”

Taemin’s heart fluttered.

 

Ring.

 

Taemin groaned at the interruption.

“What is it, Jonghyun?”

“Lee Taemin, what did you do?”

“What do you even mean?” Taemin offered Jinki a weak smile, who looked on with mild curiosity.

“Why did I get a text from Kim Kibum, who I’m assuming was the date tonight, asking me out on a second date? Not me technically, he asked you out.”

“Wait— WHAT?”