Infected, Vaccine & the Cure

Vivid Dreams

"It's her... Again.." Carrie whispered as she sits on her hospital bed, waking up from yet another dream. Carrie was racking her head, trying to remember who the woman was that she was seeing on her dreams and when she suddenly felt her head ache, a nurse knocked and went inside her room.

 

"Do you have a headache?" The nurse asked Carrie who was holding on to her head.

 

"I'm fine.. I think I just pushed myself too much trying to remember something.." Carrie replied.

 

"Did you see her on your dreams again?"

 

Carrie nodded.

 

"Is it a different dream now or is it still the same?"

 

"Still the same.." Carrie replied.

 

"Still the same scenario. Her running ahead of me, as if she's pulling me with our hands intertwined. Running away from the... zombies. Just same old us, running." Carrie continued as the nurse check her vitals. "Hey.." she called out to the nurse.

 

"Hmm?"

 

"How long have you been here again?"

 

"I've been here way before you were." The nurse replied.

 

"Then.. Do you know how did I come here?" Carrie turned to the nurse and asked with a curious face. "Cause, somehow.. I really can't seem to remember anything before coming here."

 

"I'm sorry, all I know is what's on your files. That's all. Your information is locked. Some says that you're of a daughter of an important figure. Thinking about it... It makes sense since you're in a suite room too. Only VVIPs get to use this room." the nurse explained.

 

"Then how come no one's fetched me yet? I've been here for more than 3 months and all you guys do is run tests."

 

"I'm so sorry, I know you're tired of it and I feel bad I have to draw out a lot of your blood some week but we're just following protocols."

 

"I know that much, Madison(EB) unnie. You don't need to apologize and thank you for taking care of me." Carrie smiled.

Madison nodded. "If you need anything, ring the us. We'll immediately check on you, okay?"

 

"Thank you, unnie."

 

"No problem." Madison smiled before leaving the room.

 

 

 

With nothing to do, Carrie stood up and went to the bookshelf filled with books on her room. Considering the chaos outside the well-guarded hospital that she's in, any form of entertainment is scarce.

 

Carrie randomly picked a book and sat down at the couch beside the shelf.

 

"It’s not a person’s actions that hurt the most. It’s the love. If there was no love attached to the action, the pain would be a little easier to bear." Carrie read out loud and somehow, she felt a pang in her chest and suddenly, there's a scenario playing in her head.

 

 

 

Flashbacks

 

"Love! Y-you're.. bitten?" Carrie asked the girl when the latter lifted her sleeves.

 

"Mhmm.." the girl nodded. "That's why we need to hurry.. I need to get you somewhere safe before I turn. The zombies won't attack me as I have the virus already in my system."

 

"B-but.. What about you?" Carrie started to cry.

 

"I'm a lost cause. But you.. You can still make it. You have to. Do it for me, please?"

 

"No! I'd rather turn with you than live without you!"

 

"I'd rather die protecting you and getting you to safety than turn without accomplishing anything so please, will you please listen to me?" The girl looked at Carrie with a pleading face. "Please, just this once. I-... I don't have much time. So, please?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Scene change.

 

"Love! Run faster!" the girl beside Carrie shouted.

 

"I- I'm trying!" Carried shouted back.

 

The other girl gritted her teeth and grabbed Carrie's hand, intertwining them, squeezing Carrie's hand gently. "I'll be here to pull you so try harder, okay?"

 

"Okay!"

 

"And no looking back!" The girl started to sprint, pulling Carrie.

 

End of flashbacks.

 

 

 

Carrie jolted on her bed with tears streaming down her face, startling the nurse beside her.

 

"Carrie? Are you okay? Anywhere that hurts?"

 

"Unnie.. I think I had some of my memory come back earlier.. A-and.. That girl? In my dreams?" Carrie spoke as she cried.

 

"Slow down, calm down. It's okay." Madison pat Carrie's back.

 

"N-no.. It's not okay! She- she sacrificed herself for me! And I-.. I let her just so I can live! What's the use of staying in luxury like this if it's at the cost of the life of someone I love.. Just.. How.." Carrie continued crying and Madison can't help but pull the latter into a hug.

 

 

 

The next few days.. Carrie spent her time reading books. Hoping something would trigger her again to remember something.

 

"Carrie, come on. You have to eat. I can understand why you're hell bent on reading those books but please eat too. The girl won't probably like it if you don't eat, right? Think about her." Madison persuaded Carrie.

"Just leave it there, unnie."

 

"Remember to eat it, okay?" Madison reminded Carrie and left her room.

 

"She still won't eat?" a doctor outside of Carrie's room asked Madison.

 

"Ahh, doctor Lee(CY), doctor Miyawaki(SKR).. Yes.. She still won't."

 

"Lee.. I think it's time to tell Carrie.", Dr. Miyawaki.

 

"Tell her what, doc?" Madison asked.

 

"Nurse Kwon, please go back inside and tell her we'll tell her everything once she eats her food. She's a crucial part of the solution to this chaos. We can't have her disheartened and breaking now. We'll tell you as well.", Dr. Lee.

 

Madison nodded and went back to Carrie's room.

 

 

 

Carrie finally ate her food. Plate so clean one would think she it clean.

 

"When are they gonna tell us, unnie? I finished my food already!" Carrie hurriedly asked.

 

"Calm down, kid. I'll be with you when they tell you so rest assure."

 

And as if on cue, somebody knocked at the door and when Madison opened it, somebody pulled her out and made her inhale something that caused Madison to pass out. Another person came inside the room and did the same thing to Carrie.

 

 

 

When the duo came into, they are on a full body protection suit and in a room with a mirror.

 

Carrie was the first who stood up, panicking. She spotted a speaker on a corner and shouted, "What did you do to us?! Let us out!"

 

The speaker made a screeching noise that made Carrie and Madison cover their ears before a familiar voice was heard.

 

"We're sorry for being harsh but this place is a top secret. Anyone outside of our organization shouldn't know this building's whereabouts. This building has something to do with what we're about to tell you. And no matter what, we need you to be calm at all times."

 

Madison and Carrie looked at each other and nodded.

 

 

 

Not long after, some armed woman went inside the room. Carefully removing their helmets and introducing themselves to the duo.

 

"We live in a harsh world, don't we? The name's Candy(YN)."

"I'm Vicky(WY)."

"It's Chantal(CW)."

 

Both extended their hands for a hand shake to which Madison and Carrie accepted.

 

Candy spoke again after. "On the way to the place that we're going, we need to be quiet and calm. We'll pass by a few of captive zombies. Some are only tied with chains on the ground. Part of the reason is we ran out of place to detain them."

 

"Another reason would be for security purposes. They are the last line of our defense is ever this facility's under attack." Chantal continued.

 

"I don't think they would attack their own kind..." Carrie spoke.

 

"But they would attack humans." Vicky chimed in. "Did you expect zombies against zombies? You're too naive."

 

"Who in their right mind would attack their own in times like this.." Madison whispered.

 

"Surprisingly a lot." Dr. Lee intervened.

 

"Countries worldwide are on a race to develop a vaccine against the Toulton virus and they wouldn't hesitate to ransack a place if that means they get to have even just a bit of food or supplies." Dr. Miyawaki continued.

 

 

"That's enough for now. Let's go." Dr. Lee nudged Candy and they started to walk in formation. Candy and Chantal up front, the doctors, Madison and Carrie in the middle and Vicky at the back.

 

As the group go deeper into the facility, more and more scratching and banging are heard. None of them were talking, only their footsteps and breathing are heard. For a while, only the three-armed guards are seen; navigating the dark halls filled with what used to be humans but now zombies as their sanity leave their minds one by one gradually.

 

Not long after, a heavy metal door emitting a dim white squared shaped light on its center came into view. Chantal knocked on the square on intervals, sending out a simple morse code.

 

 

"Y-o-u-p-i-e-c-e-o-f-s-h-i-t", Carrie thought as she tried to decipher it. The doctors almost let out giggles. Not long after, a knock in intervals from the other side can be heard.

 

"G-o-t-o-h-e-l-l", after Carrie managed to decipher it, the door opened and it showed a Shane(YR) on a lab gown with her tongue stuck out.

 

The group entered and as soon as the door closed, Candy launched at Chantal. "What were you saying about my girlfriend again?"

 

"Oh, stop living up to your nickname, you dumb duck." Chantal quipped.

 

"You--" Candy was about to choke Chantal but Vicky pulled her.

 

"Stop messing with my girlfriend, you dumb duck.", Vicky.

 

The doctors shook their heads and called out for Madison and Carrie. The group of 4 went to another room while the others stayed behind.

 

On the separate room, there is Dr. Hillary(HTM) and Dr. Natalie(NK), watching over a captured and docile Eugene(YJ) and Heather(HW).

 

"Love!"

"Heath!"

 

Carrie and Madison called out before rushing towards the window.

 

"So, all along you were here..." Madison cried.

 

"Eugene.." Carrie whispered as she caresses the piece of glass separating her and the former.

 

 

 

Dr. Lee went over to them. "Eugene almost didn't make it here, do you know?", she started. "The only thing keeping her sanity intact that time was you." she looked over to Carrie. "The adrenaline didn't leave her body until you were safe and until she relayed an important information on us."

 

"What information?" Carrie asked. "What information is so important she had to deliver me here along with it?"

 

"That you have immunity over Toulton."

 

Madison and Carrie looked at the doctor with surprise on their faces.

 

"Eugene said you have a scratch from a zombie on your upper left thigh. Eugene observed you over a few days, you didn't turn and came up to the conclusion that you were immune."

 

"Eugene had two reasons as to why she did what she did. First, she wants the love of her life out of this chaos and two, the world needs you.", Dr. Lee.

 

"My daughter... We have told her over and over again to be selfless. We have instilled to her the beliefs that if it will benefit the many, it should be okay to sacrifice one.. I never thought I'll see it put to action like this.", Dr. Miyawaki.

 

Dr. Lee gave Dr. Miyawaki a pat on the latter's back. "As you can see, our daughter is now on docile mode. We can't talk to her properly yet but I believe with a bit more of your help, Carrie.. Eugene, Heather and the others still have a chance to live a second life."

 

"This may be a selfish request and will hurt you but please cooperate a bit longer, Carrie. We need you now more than ever.", Dr. Lee.

 

"I get why Eugene is here but why is Heather in here as well? Doctors, what happened to my fiancé?" Madison asked.

 

"I think it's better to tell the full story.", Dr. Lee. "We managed to keep Lavien University Hospital safe as it's a secret facility in the first place. It's tied with the university and acts as a normal hospital but deep underground, we research a lot of things. Eugene knew this facility like the back of her hand. She used to come here with us and be fascinated with different viruses and pathogens. A secret facility needs security, that's where Heather and Candy's group comes in. On legal documents, she's a researcher but her work is really to guard us. And of course, Heather and Eugene knew each other. They're very close."

 

Dr. Miyawaki chimed in. "We wanted to send Eugene to a boarding school that will help enhance her talent and education in science and the works of it but she declined. She wanted to be in a normal university. We understand, all of her life was spent here and as a parent, we respect her decision. And that's where she met you; Carrie. She'll go here to tell us, Heather and the group outside of this room with a bright smile and we're more than happy for her."

 

"That day when Toulton broke out, it was a school day but we weren't worried. Eugene is usually calm and has a high critical thinking, we knew she'd make it back here. Heather volunteered to wait up the front gate for Eugene, everyday.", Dr. Lee.

 

"After weeks, Heather saw a glimpse of two individuals, running with green uniforms and quickly identified that one of them is Eugene. Heather immediately cleared the front gate and went to the barricade. There she confirmed it was her and her girlfriend, Carrie.", Dr. Miyawaki looked over to Carrie.

 

"As soon as both of you were inside the compound, you collapsed. Eugene immediately asked for handcuffs from Heather to which she used to tie herself in a pole in case she turned.", Dr. Miyawaki continued.

 

"When we got there, Eugene was gasping and gritting her teeth. It didn't help that Heather was hugging her, the very smell of human blood that close makes zombies loses their sanity even more. As soon as she relayed her information, she turned and bit down Heather's shoulder. Thankfully, Candy was fast enough to seize Heather before Heather can even have time to turn.", Dr. Lee.

 

"And the next thing that happened.. Carrie losing her memories as a coping mechanism for the loss of Eugene and exhaustion. We knew your motive as to why you came here too, Madison. That's why we made sure you were safe on the upper floors and with Carrie for the past few months."

 

 

 

A bit later, Candy's group went inside the room as well.

 

"Have you told them?" Candy asked.

 

The doctors nodded.

 

Candy turned to Madison and Carrie. "I'm sorry for being rough with them both. I had to or else they might hurt someone else."

 

"No, it's okay."

"Thank you for helping them."

 

Carrie and Madison respectively said.

 

Shane went near Heather. "Both of them are dependent on Carrie's blood for now. As to why you're immune...", Shane turned to Carrie. "We have a hunch."

 

"Remember anything from your science lab? On where Eugene always stays at?" Shane asked Carrie and the latter nodded. "Eugie told me that she was experimenting on various vitamins and one of her stacks was a new concoction. Eugene has this habit of experimenting and when she gets an 'ok' sign from me, she would drink it and observe herself for the effects. Sometime before this Toulton appear, she told me that she lost the pills and turns out you took the pills and drank them; thinking that they were some normal vitamins."

 

"We don't have a copy of the pills here so we observed your blood and behavior for the past few months. We managed to grasp a few ingredients and tried them to other zombies that we have captive but to no avail. Some even dies.", Dr. Yabuki.

 

"We also tried giving you different diets to see how the changes will affect and the results would always come back the same.", Dr. Honda.

 

"Sorry for treating you like a test subject without your permission but we have to.. We don't have much time left for my daughter and Heather.", Dr. Lee.

 

"I-.. I think I still have those pills. When I out earlier, I remember that I leave all my stuff on Eugene's locker inside the science lab.", Carrie.

 

"Alright, sounds like a work for us."

"Let's retrieve the samples then."

"I'll call for a copter."

 

Candy, Chantal and Vicky were busy preparing when Madison poked Candy.

 

"Hmm?" Candy turned around.

 

"Can you bring me with you?" Madison asked.

 

"Why would I do that?" Candy asked.

 

"First off, there's only 3 of you. I know the lesser the people, the faster we can move but we're talking about an infested university here. There would be much more zombies." Madison reasoned out.

 

"Okay, you're making sense." Candy replied.

 

"Second, I'm an alumna of the university. I know the building well."

 

"Okay.. Is there more?"

 

"I'm actually a reservist. I know combat and how to use a gun."

 

"Okay. But we can't t--" Candy was cut off as Shane suddenly interrupted.

 

"Take her, I'm going too. I know what the pill looks like.", Shane.

 

Candy sighs in defeat. "Okay."

 

 

The four formulated a plan to get into the university. The helicopter would make a loud noise and thus would attract a lot of zombies, they need to be in and out in a jiffy. Carrie actually volunteered to go as well but considering she wasn't very athletic and her importance, she wasn't allowed to go hence she stayed at the room where Eugene is.

 

"Please work.. Please be safe.." Carrie repeatedly prayed for.

 

 

 

The helicopter that the groups' currently in is hovering at Lavien University's rooftop. The four immediately brought down ropes and climbed down.

 

"Okay folks, me and Madison in front. Shane in the middle and the cringey as couple at the back. Don't break formation, are we clear?", Candy.

 

The four nodded and as Candy gave the go signal, they hurriedly ran down the stairs. The helicopter went a bit away from the building to distract the zombies that's there and it helped. As the group run down the stairs, there were few zombies they had to deal with.

 

The science lab is located 4 floors down from the rooftop. The group's already on their second magazine of bullets as they wait for Shane to look for Carrie's locker.

 

"Babe?! How long?!" Candy asked.

 

"Wait a bit! There's a bit of lockers here!" Shane responded.

 

"711.." Shane repeatedly whispered as she looks for the number. "It's locked!"

 

"Move!" Chantal shouted and shot at the locker's lock.

 

"Gee! This girl's messy! Let's just grab everything!" Vicky shouted as she shoves everything on the bag she carries. They also went over Eugene's locker that was beside Carries and took everything, including Eugene's laptop.

 

"We're done! Let's go!" Vicky shouted, carrying one bag and Chantal carrying the other.

 

"Rush!" Candy switched to a baseball bat, swinging at every single zombie.. leading the group back to the rooftop.

 

"06 speaking to chopper! We're on our way! Over!", Chantal radioed.

 

"Chopper to 06, affirmative!"

 

 

The ropes were already down and they just have to climb one by one while someone fends off the zombies. Shane climbed first with the bags; Madison went next. Half way through Vicky climbing, the numbers of zombies suddenly increased. Chantal and Candy are out of ammo, the former using her gun as a bat and the latter still with her baseball bat.

 

"Next!" Vicky shouted but the duo under is being overwhelmed with the number of zombies.

 

"Chantal! Go!" Candy shouted.

 

"No! If I leave now, you won't make it!" Chantal responded while grunting.

 

Vicky and Shane's starting to feel nervous.

 

"Chopper this is 06, proceed as planned!"

 

"Chopper this is Captain 04, 06's command is authorized!"

 

"Copy that.. Farewell, 04, 06."

 

"NOOOO!" Vicky and Shane shouted as the helicopter fly away the building.

 

"12.. No.." Vicky heard through her radio. "Vi, I'll try to make it with this dumb duck so don't worry.." Vicky's crying as she hears Chantal and Candy curse and grunt dealing with the zombies. "I love you.", Chantal's last transmission.

 

"Shane, we'll try go back into Eugi's lab! No promises but you'll hear from us if we ever make it! Marry me when we do get back!" Candy continuously said and immediately cut it.

 

"YOU DUMB DUCK!" Shane leaned to Vicky, both of them crying.  Madison can't utter any words and just kept her head down.

 

After a few minutes, the helicopter arrived at LUH's rooftop. The three immediately went down and took the route to underground. No point hiding the route to Madison at this point.

 

When the trio arrived at the heavy door of the lab, Vicky is the one who did the morse code.

 

"T-h-r-e-e."

 

The door immediately opened and showed Dr. Lee and Dr. Miyawaki waiting.

 

"Where's the dumb and dumber duo? Are they still on the rooftop?", Dr. Yabuki. 

 

"Three means there's only three of us." Vicky responded.

 

"N-no.." Dr. Honda fell on her knees.

 

 

 

 

 

After 5 years.

 

"South Korea and United States leads the race to Toulton Virus' cure and vaccine. The first batch that was released three years ago were proven to be 80% effective..."

 

"South Korea's top researchers, Annie Lee and Cherry Miyawaki lead the Toulton Virus research with their daughter Eugene Miyawaki-Lee as it's top contributor.."

 

Carrie turned off the television in the living room and walked towards the kitchen. Nothing but the news of the Lee-Miyawaki's progress for the Toulton Virus. She is proud of it but she's been hearing it for the past three years, she's gotten sick of it at this point.

 

Carrie felt hands wrap around her waist. "Hi love, I'm home.", she heard.

 

Carrie turned around. "Welcome back home, Eugi love." Carrie pinched Eugene's cheeks.

 

"Awsh.. Why pinchin' my cheeks?" Eugene pouted.

 

"I'm getting tired of seeing your face everywhere.. On TV, on internet, on newspapers..", Carrie let go of Eugene's cheeks.

 

"You'll see it on books soon too." Eugene chuckled.

 

It has been 5 years since what happened back at Lavien University Hospital. The researchers immediately went to work, not wanting to waste the opportunity Candy and Chantal gave them while Vicky continued to train.. determined to go back at the University to bring back Chantal. Everybody knows the two were tough. Vicky's father finally reached the higher government officials and were willing to help as long as the Lee-Miyawaki manage to make a progress on the cure or vaccine.

 

To which they did. They found nanotechnology on Eugene's vitamin concoction and a combination of other vitamins. With one missing, it won't work. The vitamin would work for the isolation of the virus, thus making it a vaccine. As for the cure, it needed the immune cell of Carrie... that only forms when a person is a carrier of the rare RH blood plus intake of the 'vaccine'.

 

With the almost finished 'vitamin' that Eugene formulated, it took the LUH researchers two weeks with barely any sleep to complete the first trials. Eugene, Heather and Candy were the test subjects.

 

As for Chantal.. Vicky found Chantal passed out on a corner of Eugene's lab when they went for a rescue mission. A safe distance from the Candy that's handcuffed to a pole.. According to Chantal, she was bitten as they were looking for food and water inside the building.

 

Nevertheless, they were glad that they have Candy even though she turned. The cure was promising and Eugene's already showing signs of getting better.

 

Eugene recovered faster than Heather and Candy as she became the very first subject of it because she has ingested a bit of blood from Carrie already over the past few months.

 

When Eugene fully recovered, she immediately went to help. They started searching for other RH blood carriers and thankfully, they have bags stored all over the abandoned hospitals.

 

Heather and Candy recovered not long after and the LUH publicized their study for the other researchers to use and United States had made big progress.

 

 

 

After another 5 years.

 

Eugene pursued a career similar to her parent’s and Carrie has decided to just continue her fine arts major. Eugene was even hesitant at first because she’ll be separated from Carrie but with her achievements and her brain, Carrie convinced her to pursue something that Eugene was genuinely interested in and has the knack for it. Carrie graduated a year before Eugene did and Eugene’s graduation ceremony is happening now.

 

Congratulations graduates! You’re the pillar of this country’s tomorrow! Wish you the best of luck!”, the university president.

 

 

Congratulations, Yujiiiiii!”, Heather greeted with a smiling Madison beside her.
That’s our daughter!”, the Lee-Miyawaki’s.

You’re a different breed! Congrats!”, Candy greeted as Shane hands over their gift to Eugene.

 

Thanks guys!” Eugene thanked them. “So, when’s the wedding you duck? I heard you really proposed to Shan as you’re getting eaten by a zombie.” Eugene chuckled.

 

I did! I want her to be my last, that’s why! And it’s happening 3 months later! You better come!” Candy responded.

 

Sure!” Eugene flashed a cheeky smile towards them. “Hmm?” Eugene hummed as she roams her eyes around.

 

We told them to just stay at the car, it’s too hot outside.” Dr. Lee responded.

 

I see, let’s go then? I want to see them!” Eugene invited them.

 

 

“Hi love! Congrats!” Carrie immediately jumped out the car as she saw Eugene approaching.

 

Thanks love!” Eugene immediately encircled Carrie in a tight hug. “This is for you, for our families, our friends and of course…” Eugene looked at the car seat where a sleeping kid is to be seen being encircled by its grandparents. “Our Hyunnie.” Eugene gave the smiley Carrie a peck on the latter’s forehead.