The Anomaly

Ephemeral Beings

 

The Anomaly

 

 

 

Makati and Ayala Ave intersection

 

“I still think na you’re thinking too deeply with regards to the couple's endearment earlier. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with how they address each other, aside from the fact na ang cringey pakinggan ng tawagan nila. But we’re nothing but outsiders in their relationship.”

 

“I’m well aware of our position, waladin tayong say sa kung ano man ang dynamic meron sila. What I’m trying to point is that, no matter how innocent and malice free ang tawagan nilang yun, somehow, it’s conditioning them to think that they have some sort of authority over the other by a sense of ownership.”

 

“Parang sinabi mo na rin na a person entering a romantic relationship voluntarily reduces themselves to a mere thing to be owned by their partner.”

 

“Kung yan ang gusto nilang mangyari, yan talaga ang mangyayari.”

 

“Parang ang dark naman ng view mo ng romantic relationships. Dito tayo sa left mag-exit.”

 

“*shrugs* I don’t take it as something dark, hindi lang talaga sanay ang mga tao when they’re being introduced to these types of analyses.”

 

“Did you analyze your endearments with your previous partners din? Did you even use one?”

 

“Of course I did. Hindi naman ako robot o computer, I always take into consideration my partner’s preferences.”

 

“But? Parang may kasunod na ‘but’ yung sinabi mo.”

 

“Walang but na kasunod. I just remind my partner na kahit we’re in a relationship, she should not limit herself. Na kahit we’re in a relationship, she’s still her own person and so am I.”

 

“Wow.”

 

“Hmm? Bakit ka naman napa-wow sa sinabi ko?”

 

“Dito tayo daan sa loob ng park para di mainit.”

 

“Oh, okay.”

 

“Wow, kasi it’s rare to find people who’ll remind you of your individuality, especially when you’re in a relationship na. Or is it your way of escaping dependency from your partner?”

 

“Not really, hindi naman ako nakakulong sa relasyon, when I’m in one. I prefer to remind my partner to be responsible for all her decisions and actions. Na everything that you are is yours.”

 

“But there are outside factors affecting the outcome of one’s decision din, you should also take that into consideration.”

 

“I’m very well aware of this naman, that even in the most calculated decisions you’ll make, this unknown variable will always be present. This factor may make or break whatever outcome it is that we’re hoping for.”

 

“Ang scary no? This unknown force, I mean. Hindi natin alam if it’ll be in our favor or against us.”

 

“Instead of being scared, take it as a reminder to be humble and stay grounded. That no matter how sure and calculated you are, the possibility of things going unfavorably is likely to happen.”

 

“You’re weird, Winter.”

 

“Hindi ikaw ang unang nagsabi sa’kin nyan.”

 

“I’m sorry, I don’t mean in a bad way ah.”


“Don’t worry, I prefer being viewed as weird.”

 

“Wait, let me change my statement. You’re weird, and I mean it both in a good and bad way.”

 

“Okay, that’s new. I think I have an idea na how i’m weird in a bad way. How about in a good way?”

 

“*smiles*”

 

“What?”

 

“Yung mga nagsabi ba sayo na you’re weird, were they the one you met on your blind dates?”

 

“Most of them, yeah.”

 

“I think they all stop listening halfway.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Those people who called you weird, I think they stopped listening to you halfway. They stopped listening when their beliefs and ideologies were conflicted with your opinion.”

 

“And?”

 

“And that’s why, for them, you’re weird, and they meant it in a bad way.”

 

“And?”

 

“And that is also the reason why, when I told you that you’re weird, you instantly thought that I meant it negatively. For something you consider as a unique attribute of yours, you take it so adversely when it comes from another person.”

 

“That’s a good observation ah. Nice one, Karina.”

 

“*laughs* You’re the human form of irony.”

 

“Okay, I feel like I should be offended by that.”

 

“I meant it as a compliment, but yeah, you should also be offended.”

 

“*chuckles* Whatever Karina.”




 

In a residential building along Tordesillas

“Akalain niyo yun, hindi manlang tao pinag pawisan maghanap ng malilipatan?”

 

“Di pa natin sure kung magugustuhan ba dito ni Winter.”

 

“What do you think, babe? Magugustuhan kaya ni Winter yung unit?”

 

“I think magugustuhan niya din yung unit. We’ll discuss it with her later.”

 

“Pusta ko oks kay Ms. Kim yun. Hindi din kalayuan sa school. Pwede nang pang cardio yung lalakarin papunta sa school.”

 

“Talaga lang ah. Pag ikaw mahuli kong mag book ng angkas papuntang school, itatapon ko talaga mga vape juice mo.”

 

“Grabe naman Ning. Walang tapunan ng vape juice.”

 

“It’s a good thing din talaga na may veranda yung unit.”

 

“Tama ka dyan, Gi. Asan na pala sila? Nag chat ba sainyo?”

 

“Karina just sent a message, nasa may Valero na daw sila. I think within the are lang din sila maghahanap.”

 

“Gutom na ako, may snacks ba kayo Gi?”

 

“May tira pa ata na pasta sa ref.”

 

“Ayown! Thanks, Gi!”

 

“Ikaw babe, gusto mo na din ba kumain?”

 

“Oo sana, available ka ba babe?”

 

“ANG LASWA MO NING!”

 

“BABE!!”