꧁ ༺ℜ𝔦𝔰𝔢༻ ꧂

꧁ ༺ℜ𝔦𝔰𝔢༻ ꧂

It was raining heavily on that very cold winter night. It was dark and silent as you drove back to the hotel, hearing nothing but the wind that slightly swayed the car, the heavy rain drops against the windshield falling like stones loudly. The curvy narrow road, quiet, making you nervous every second it passes endlessly.

“Are you sure this is the right way? It feels like we've been driving in circles. I’m pretty sure we were here minutes ago, Maya.”

“Can you be more supportive, ___? You’ve been complaining for hours now.”

“And hours you’ve been driving and I’m sure the hotel is not hours away.” You added.

“If you keep nagging, how about you drive!?” Maya yelled looking at you who couldn’t hide how anxious you were getting.

“What was that!? What did you hit!?” You screamed loudly, frightened after you felt something landing on the car.

“I don’t know! Don’t scream at me like that while I drive!” She brought the car to a halt.

You rubbed your eyes looking in all directions. “I think- you didn’t hit- I think something landed on the car! Maya! Just keep driving!”

“Let me just check…”

“Don’t you dare open the window! What if it’s a monster!” You pulled your cousin by her shoulder bringing her close to you.

You both looked up at the headliner of the car feeling little steps and in silence you both came into the realisation that there was certainly something alive at the roof of the rental car.

“Something is on top of the car.” Maya commented almost whispering as both your eyes were widened hearing your heartbeats.

“What sh-should we do? J-just drive a-away.” You stuttered digging your nails on Maya's forearm.

Just when Maya tried to start the car again, but whatever was on the roof of the car, jumped down in front of the car revealing themselves as if it were the most normal thing to do. You didn’t say a word and instead you followed every movement the man in front of you did, from how he gathered his long locks into a little man-bun, to his sinister smile, to admiring his shiny ruby eyes that stood out in the darkness of the night. His skin was pale as raw porcelain, his lips tinted and crimson looking, juicy and alive that contracted with his lifeless skin tone.

“Whatever the that is, it’s certainly not safe.” Maya admired. “If I wasn’t a believer before, I now believe in everything there is to believe in.”

“Maya.” You smiled, mirroring the man before you and how he tilted his head in curiosity. “He’s gorgeous, isn’t he?” You unlocked your seatbelt hypnotised.

“What are you doing, ___! This is not the time for flying . That thing is not human!!”

“He’s… so…”

The strange looking man rested his palms on the hood smirking, slowly coming to your side as you both followed him with your eyes till he arrived at your window. He lowered his head smiling beautifully, making his features look even more breathtaking up close.

“Hello ___.” He greeted. “Lower the window, would you?” He spoke nonchalantly. 

You went to lower it but Maya stopped you. “___! He knows your name! Doesn’t that sound weird to you? What’s wrong with you!? It’s not safe!”

“He doesn't look like he’s harmful.” You smiled while looking at the man following with your eyes everything he did, like the cheeky smiles he was giving you.

“Yeah Maya. Let ___ talk to me. I’ll deal with you later.”

“Wha-” Maya petrified in her spot hearing this thing calling her name. Dealing with her later? She didn’t even notice that you had opened the door due to your state of shock and that you had already gotten out of the car. It was when she saw you at the side of the car thinking it was too late to even try putting some sense in you, so all she could do was close the door of the car, locking it behind her. She hugged her knees shivering frightened to death as you walked behind the weird man. She watched you as he caressed your cheek, almost wanting to show Maya how gentle he was being with you. Making sure to be right in front of the headlights to give her a perfect show.

Suddenly, another mcuh taller and robust man landed next to him,  and that’s when you felt unsafe and how the situation you were in was the weirdest and most stupid you’ve put yourself in in your life.

“Don’t be afraid, ___, this is my brother Kai.” You took a step backwards looking at the car and at how Maya was in tears inside.

“Is that…” Kai asked, motioning with his head.

“It was about time you came. Yes she is.” 

Kai walked towards the car forcing Maya’s car open hearing her scream. He lowered himself pulling her out making sure she looked him in the eye. He pushed the strand of wet hair out of her face as she quietened down by her own watching how Kai went down her eye level as if reasoning with her. 

“Don’t worry, she’s in good hands, besides I’m much gentler. I’m Taemin by the way, and you’re mine, you know that right?”

The strange man - Taemin - let you presence the scene almost as if wanting you to see what’ll happen to you from afar. Kai then ran his fingers through his own hair before tilting Maya’s head to the side burying his face on the crock of her neck. Despite the heavy rain and the distance that separated you, you could still hear Maya’s skin rupturing. You looked at Taemin scared but also seeking comfort and almost feeling safe with him getting closer to his side when Kai lifted his head holding Maya’s lifeless body from her waist as he removed the excess of blood from his mouth and chin, He threw his head back looking at the rainy sky in satisfaction. He growled, securing Maya in his hold darting his ruby eyes at you.

“Take her home already, Kai.” Taemin smiled at his drunk looking brother from Maya’s blood as you watched him disappear along with your cousin.

You felt safe craving for Taemin’s cold touch, something that felt familiar and needed even though everything screamed that your cousin was dead and you’ll soon follow.

“Where did he take Maya?” You asked with a little voice. “Is she alive? Will I ever see her again?”

“Of course! Aren’t you the luckiest? Kai and I are brothers living together, and you’re both ours now.”

“What exactly are you?” You took a step closer to admire the reason you were taking that step. His eyes that spoke a language that you understood somehow after hearing that Maya was alright… you wanted to believe him.

“My ___ is so curious.” Taemin smiled, pinching your cheek. “Come.” He extended his arms and you gladly let him embrace you feeling his breath and cold tongue lapping on your neck.

“I’m scared.” You confessed nestling your forehead on his shoulder.

“You shouldn’t. I’m also yours now. Destined to protect you. To protect each other from now on.”

~~~

You woke up hungry, cold, but not alone. Maya was next to you in the dark room with very high ceilings from what you could tell even though there was a canopy over the big bed. The sheets were clean and silky soft, contrasting greatly with the abandoned looking room that felt mouldy and humid. If you could say there were a thousand candles lit around the bed, you wouldn’t be exaggerating, but enough scanning the place, you needed to check on your cousin. You tried sitting up but every single muscle in your body ached. 

“Maya.” You spoke in your normal voice that wasn’t even heard to you.

You held your throat trying to scream, but nothing but little sounds came out. You desperately extended your arm to feel Maya so she could wake up, but you were surprised by Kai sitting next to her instead, which made you flinch and bring your arm back wishing that Taemin was there instead.

“You’re the one awake? I was hoping my girly Maya was.” 

Kai took her hand kissing it gently while realising how loud your own breath had gotten and how wet your face was getting from your own sweat watching him treat your perhaps dead cousin.

“I’ll be taking my princess then. Can you manage from here, Kai?” Taemin spoke next to you, startling you but also immediately making you feel at ease.

“Taemin!” You sighed in silence, unable to make it audible enough. “I can’t talk. What happened to me?”

“Shhh, don’t force yourself. You’ll be alright soon.” He assured you sliding his hand under your knees and over your back lifting you effortlessly. “Did you sleep well?” He followed, starting a small chit-chat as if everything that happened was the most normal and common thing in the world.

You enjoyed the slow quiet ride out of the room into a darker, by far more humid and scarier place. The corridor was narrow with candles hanging on the dark walls. Even so, you had no time to appreciate the mortiferous place you were in, leaving your cousin with a scary creature. Instead, you stopped to appreciate Taemin’s soft features. You shamelessly scanned his face, his flawless skin, his lips, nose and friendly looking eyes, that shone more than the candles around you.

“What are you looking at? Are you still scared of me?” Taemin made eye contact with you letting you know that he knew how lost in thought you were.

You couldn’t really reply with no voice, but you did flinch when you heard Maya scream her life away. It felt as if she was trying to escape.

“Even if you are the most handsome looking man that ever walked planet earth I won’t accept you! You monster!” Maya growled.

“And you’re not into monsters? Tsk tsk tsk, disappointing. You can leave if you want, I’m not holding you, but if you do I’ll die, and you’ll live with that pain forever, because you won’t ever be able to forget me, Maya.”

You could hear Maya’s conversation with Kai clearly, locking eyes with Taemin shockingly, asking for reassurance from Taemin, asking a million questions without really asking them.

“Don’t worry, he hasn’t touched her that way. Neither did I, ___. We only fed with our destined one from this century. Besides, what Kai said is not true, if you don’t accept us, you’ll forget all about this tomorrow morning when we no longer exist.” Taemin explained, finally placing you down on a velvety mattress on the floor of another bedroom. You didn’t really bother to know where this place was but instead you held your throat in pain. “I’m sorry for hurting you, but you are the one, at least till next century you are, and if I hadn’t, I would’ve died like you heard Kai say to Maya.” Taemin exhaled looking at his eyes as he let his long hair down as a form of hiding his face from you. “I’m not holding you either, you can leave if you want, ___.” 

“That’s a big lie.” You gulped, feeling guilty that those words were coming out even if he couldn’t hear you. “I didn't choose to be here.”

“I know.” He surprised you because he actually heard you. “What you didn’t know though, is that you were going to suffer a terrible car accident, and I just happened to be there before it all happened. Do you want me to show you the road and how impossible you would have dodged the tree that fell without falling off the cliff?”

You gasped covering your mouth. Taemin sounded genuine, and it wasn’t as if you couldn’t find out later if indeed there was an accident from the news..

“Why am I here? Why is Maya with that other man? Why-”

“I’ll answer everything.” Taemin smiled. “Come on, hop up.” He patted his own back.

“Wh-how-what do you mean-”

You were cut off again by Taemin when he pulled you to rest your chest on his back. He secured you with his hands sliding the old palace’s door, and in a second you were… flying?

“Hold onto my neck tighter.” He commanded and you obeyed literally because your life depended on it.

“I don’t want to die!” You shouted without any sound coming out of your mouth.

“You’re not going to die.” Taemin smiled. “If anything, I’m the one who could potentially die.” He landed on a big tall Ginkgo tree. “See the horizon?” He asked, not expecting an answer. “When the sun rises I’ll die as well as Kai. If the both of you don’t accept us, the time has come.”

“What do you mean the time has come? And what’s with not existing and dying?”

“We are ancient vampires born from vampire blood. Our progenitors were vampires, or at least one of them. We don’t really know. It’s a well known law that vampires aren’t allowed to concieve, yet here we are. Each century we find the human who’s willing to stay beside us till their own death. We yearn for them till the new century comes and we find the destined one again. Our lives are not like the rest of vampires, we are cursed, damned and hated by both species, humans and vampires.”

“So what’s asked from Maya and I?” You forced your voice louder out of frustration.

“Isn’t it obvious?” Taemin caressed your cheek. “But if you don’t want to, I cannot force you like I said.”

“I’d like to see Maya.” You shoved his hand away. 

Taemin nodded frustrated, giving you his back again. You closed your eyes trying not to think with your heart that was giving you strange and unwanted signals. All you needed to do is think with your brain for Maya’s and your safety.

You felt the landing and heard Maya screaming again. She certainly wasn’t even thinking about the proposition like you somehow did.

“I don’t care if I never find love. I simply don’t want to commit to a monster!”

“I’ll die! Maya!” Kai called desperately.

“Maybe it’s time if you say you lived all those centuries.”

You saw the scene unwrapping thinking that you’ve never seen Maya acting this harsh with anyone before, especially as it wasn’t needed judging by the teddy bear look Kai was giving her. He completely shattered his heart, not caring about his soon inevitable death.

“I wasn’t intending to use you, if that’s what you think. In fact you own my life and my death… I can’t live without you as you’re my destined one.”

“Take me back to civilization. That’s the end of it.” Maya concluded.

It broke something inside you when you looked at Taemin. It was as if he wanted to cry but wasn’t able to due to his damned life as a vampire. Kai crouched, holding his head weeping in his own way.

“It’s time, brother. Do not fear.” Taemin patted his shoulder. 

Kai stood up to hug his brother tenderly. You could tell who the older one was despite the height difference. Taemin managed to control Kai’s anger realising that death was upon them both.

“We’ll get through it together, brother, just like we’ve always done. The difference this time is that we’re the ones dying and not the humans due to ageing.”

You wanted to stay. You wanted to be the one being hugged by Taemin, and you wanted Maya to stop walking and go run to Kai’s arms, but none of that happened, instead you followed her outside, and as soon as you touch her shoulder you felt being lifted and just like that you were now right in front of the rental car as Taemin put you down.

Maya pushed Kai away from her, but somehow she let him kiss her hand one last time. “It was a pleasure to meet you, Maya.” He whispered to himself watching her get in the car slamming the door after her.

You watched amused as if you wanted to control the inevitable fate. You watched Kai breaking down before you not wanting to make eye contact with the bigger problem.

“It’s time for you to go too, ___.” Taemin startled you by moving away a strand of hair that made it impossible for him to fill his eyes with your sweet face for the last time. As if wanting to fill himself with your face and be the last thing he sees before departing this life.

“I-” You tried to speak looking at your feet. “I didn’t want this to happen.”

“I know, and I might love you, but I cannot let my brother go through this alone. Consider that I’m the one refusing you.” Taemin smiled, placing his finger underneath your chin lifting your face.

You jumped on his chest wanting him to wrap you tenderly, but instead he slowly let go of you. “Taemin.”

“I’m sorry, I don’t want to hurt Kai. You won’t remember any of this tomorrow.”

~~~

“It is reported that seven people have died due to the heavy rains as two cars crashed. Kim Seonha reporting…”

“Maya?” You opened your eyes, finding your cousin eating cereal on her bed as she changed channels. “Put that channel back!”

“We’re going to be late for our tour, remember? We’re visiting that abandoned Joseon era palace in the woods.”

Yes! That was the palace! It had to be! 

You didn’t exchange further talking and just jumped on your jeans. “HURRY UP!”

“Okay, geez…” Maya commented as she stuffed with the last spoonful.

Not a single word was exchanged between the two of you after that. You didn’t want to believe what had happened was a dream, and the lack of emotions coming from Maya told you that it might have been and you hated it, so you decided to avoid her all throughout the ride in the bus. You looked out of the window to see if you’d recognise anything, but the night of the incident was too dark and all you truly saw were Taemin’s shiny ruby eyes and how they glimmered before you left him to die, all because your selfish cousin… or was she? Wasn’t all this some sort of joke your brain played on you?

“And we’ve arrived.” Announced the tour guide as the bus driver pulled over a parking where other tourist buses aligned. “We have to go by foot from here to be able to reach the palace.”

You fought your way out surprising everyone, including Maya who kept apologising to the rest of tourists in the bus.

“___! What’s wrong with you? Wait for me or at least the tour guide!”

“Why am I the only one feeling like this!?” You stopped facing Maya. “Don’t you remember anything from last night? Kai?”

“Kai?” Maya inquired. “Was I that drunk? Who’s Kai?”

“It’s all your fault anyways, Maya!” You yelled covering your face with your hands.

“Alright, I think someone needs to take a chill pill.” She patted on your back. “Let’s go back with the group and hear the story of this palace.”

“Story has it that the palace we’re heading to was owned by two loner vampires. They were handsome and had a lover every century.”

You gasped covering your mouth. What had happened last night was simply not a dream. You wished you had forgotten about it. You wished your memories were gone like Maya’s, but why did this happen to you and only you?

You walked following the tour guide closely ignoring how the rest of the tourists - including Maya - struggled to keep up as the harsh ramp upwards in the mountain severed every step you took. 

“This is the palace. We cannot go any further as it’s not safe due to its condition. The government has a plan in place to have it reconstructed for next year.”

Two years after

You felt the walls with your fingertips. You closed your eyes as you held onto your chest unable to rid yourself from this eternal sadness. Why did it hurt so much still? Where was Taemin’s soul? Why couldn’t you even dream of him yet feel him every single day since that day where you abandoned him?

Maybe it was love, maybe it was the feeling of loss, or maybe it was even the remorse of letting him die…

“I miss you Taemin.” You confessed as you looked straight into the painting of Taemin displayed in the newly refurbished palace.